MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2016, 03:59 PM   #1
WbDDoT
Brazoria County Bikers

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2008 Yamaha YZF-R1
2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250r
1996 Yamaha YZ 125
1995 Suzuki GS600 Katana (Sold)
2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R (Sold)

Ridesmart Tire Service

I am going to my first track day on the 13th at MSRH. I'm definitely pumped! I had a quick question. I know Ridesmart has track-side tire service, but does anyone know what they charge? I think my current rear is good to go, but I was going to bring a new tire with me just in case I didn't pass inspection. I don't want there to be any hiccups. So whats the cost to mount it?
WbDDoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SW people: tire service tustah General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 06-28-2013 05:33 AM
Thanks for the tire and quick service Fastola Motorcycles Unlimited 2 03-23-2013 07:58 PM
Tire service busch06 General Discussion (Moto Related) 30 12-29-2011 12:54 AM
tire service today nw side? craigntx General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 03-12-2011 12:28 PM
Advertisement
Old 02-04-2016, 04:36 PM   #2
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

For what it's worth, they didn't even look at my tires in tech
Old 02-04-2016, 05:00 PM   #3
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
last Ride Smart day I did, tire service was "Happy Jacks"? USUALLY, tire service trackside = free M&B if you purchase with vendor, but I guess that could vary.
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 05:03 PM   #4
WbDDoT
Brazoria County Bikers

Bike(s):
2008 Yamaha YZF-R1
2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250r
1996 Yamaha YZ 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuck View Post
last Ride Smart day I did, tire service was "Happy Jacks"? USUALLY, tire service trackside = free M&B if you purchase with vendor, but I guess that could vary.
I wouldn't mind that as long as they aren't price gouging. I usually get my tires pretty cheap at Rocky Mountain ATV, so hopefully its not like buying beer at a Texans game!
Old 02-04-2016, 05:12 PM   #5
djs
biker geek

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
13 Street Triple R.

I'd be interested in some more information too. I'm thinking about doing the 2/13 track day and I know my rear needs replacement. I'd like prices / availability / point of contact for tires.

Of course now that I think about it, scrubbing in a brand new rear at a track day in February sounds like asking for trouble. Cold tire + new tire = slippery.
djs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 05:21 PM   #6
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by WbDDoT View Post
I wouldn't mind that as long as they aren't price gouging. I usually get my tires pretty cheap at Rocky Mountain ATV, so hopefully its not like buying beer at a Texans game!
I've only used John with SCRC in the past (and I think he is now out of the game) and his prices were more than fair. Try emailing Dave (or I'm sure a Ride Smart spokesperson will chime in here shortly) for more info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djs View Post
I'd be interested in some more information too. I'm thinking about doing the 2/13 track day and I know my rear needs replacement. I'd like prices / availability / point of contact for tires.

Of course now that I think about it, scrubbing in a brand new rear at a track day in February sounds like asking for trouble. Cold tire + new tire = slippery.
same advice as above....one or two laps at a decent speed and your tires will heat up just fine. Just remember that as you leave your pit area. Ask me how I know.
Old 02-04-2016, 05:27 PM   #7
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:

I scrubbed in a Rosso Corsa II last TD without incident. It stuck like chuck as soon as it was warm
Old 02-04-2016, 05:38 PM   #8
Wawazat?!
Chuck my Norris

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
'09 Aprilia RS125
'05 Honda "Fiddy"
'09 R1 (sold)
'07 gixxer 750 (RIP)

Here's the link to last years tire vendor. Crazy Jack's They also are the Bridgestone vendor for CMRA. I'm sure they would appreciate the call! Number is on the top right of their site.
Wawazat?! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 05:41 PM   #9
trunxgp1224

Quote:
Bunch of myths.
trunxgp1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 02-04-2016, 05:57 PM   #10
Yorke

Bike(s):
2003 CBR954RR
1979 KZ810 Cafe Racer
2001 Ducati 996s (RIP)

Crazy Jacks Bridgestone handles the tire service at Ridesmart at all events, I know they will be at MSRH and probably at TWS (Texas World Speedway) too. John at SCRC handles Pirelli tires at all CMRA events and is still in the game, but isn't involved with Ridesmart.

I don't know off hand what Crazy Jacks tire swap rate is, but I want to say it's $20.00 or somewhere close to that. They are very reasonable and do a very good job at the ridesmart events.

If it's your first track day, I wouldn't worry about scrubbing new tires in. Your first session will be a round robin. Where the students are led by an instructor around the track, we show you the proper race line and gradually increase the speed, but it never gets to a fast pace. The second session your paired with an instructor and they will work with you from there. There are mandatory class room between sessions and that goes on for most of the day.

Just remember to take your time and use the entire day to work up your pace. Your primary goal is to work with the instructor and use the tools we are teaching and to learn the track. Most instructors are riding around on old shot race tires that are cold, cold race tires = very low traction.

If you change your oil before you come out, make sure your oil filter is properly tightened, as well as the drain bolt. Make sure the radiator cap is properly installed and secure. At the tech inspection, we are looking to see that the throttle snaps back to fully off. The chain is adjusted properly, the front and rear brake master has pressure and there are no loose parts hanging off or getting ready to fall off. You will need to put some blue painters tape over all plastic lense covers, so that no light is showing, if you can remove your rear view mirrors or put some tape over them.

And lastly, be ready to have some fun.
Yorke is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 02-04-2016, 05:59 PM   #11
WbDDoT
Brazoria County Bikers

Bike(s):
2008 Yamaha YZF-R1
2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250r
1996 Yamaha YZ 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorke View Post
Crazy Jacks Bridgestone handles the tire service at Ridesmart at all events, I know they will be at MSRH and probably at TWS (Texas World Speedway) too. John at SCRC handles Pirelli tires at all CMRA events and is still in the game, but isn't involved with Ridesmart.

I don't know off hand what Crazy Jacks tire swap rate is, but I want to say it's $20.00 or somewhere close to that. They are very reasonable and do a very good job at the ridesmart events.

If it's your first track day, I wouldn't worry about scrubbing new tires in. Your first session will be a round robin. Where the students are led by an instructor around the track, we show you the proper race line and gradually increase the speed, but it never gets to a fast pace. The second session your paired with an instructor and they will work with you from there. There are mandatory class room between sessions and that goes on for most of the day.

Just remember to take your time and use the entire day to work up your pace. Your primary goal is to work with the instructor and use the tools we are teaching and to learn the track. Most instructors are riding around on old shot race tires that are cold, cold race tires = very low traction.

If you change your oil before you come out, make sure your oil filter is properly tightened, as well as the drain bolt. Make sure the radiator cap is properly installed and secure. At the tech inspection, we are looking to see that the throttle snaps back to fully off. The chain is adjusted properly, the front and rear brake master has pressure and there are no loose parts hanging off or getting ready to fall off. You will need to put some blue painters tape over all plastic lense covers, so that no light is showing, if you can remove your rear view mirrors or put some tape over them.

And lastly, be ready to have some fun.
My rear master is deleted and I have the Tygon tubing. That's not going to be a problem, is it?
Old 02-04-2016, 06:00 PM   #12
Rod
Near Miss Racing Team #96

Bike(s):
R3 2015
TS185 74
EX250R 2010 "A" race bike
EX250R 2008 "B" race bike
150cc Rocketta Scooter "the "

Since it's the beginning of the season, I'll be looking into getting a set of take offs for my big bike... I'll see what they have when I get there.
On the other hand if I was buying a new tire, I always prefer to buy the set, why? HEAT CYCLES... sometimes the tire looks real good (specially the front one) but the tire has too many heat cycles which the rubber turns hard and brittle losing all its performance (grip)
Also keep in mind buying tires from someone besides the "tire guy" to always ask for the 4 digit numbers on the sidewall of the tire which shows the week and year that it was made. After 2 years if the tire is not properly store it could also lose some of it's performance... Just fyi...
CMRA#672
Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 06:00 PM   #13
Yorke

Bike(s):
2003 CBR954RR
1979 KZ810 Cafe Racer
2001 Ducati 996s (RIP)

No, that's not a problem as long as it functions properly, lots of the level 3 guys are running that. If you find yourself off track, ONLY use the rear brake, or you will go down instantly.
Liked this post:
Old 02-04-2016, 06:02 PM   #14
WbDDoT
Brazoria County Bikers

Bike(s):
2008 Yamaha YZF-R1
2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250r
1996 Yamaha YZ 125

I just got off the phone with Jack and he charges $25 a wheel to mount the tires, whether you buy them from him or not. I priced a S20 evo tire and he quoted me 165 plus tax for the tire. The same tire goes for about 135 on Rocky Mountain ATV with no tax and free shipping, so thats an extra $40 plus or minus. That's not any more expensive than my local dealer, but I always order my tires so I'm going to bring my own tire. Cheaper to change them at the track than to let the local shop do it.
Old 02-04-2016, 06:03 PM   #15
WbDDoT
Brazoria County Bikers

Bike(s):
2008 Yamaha YZF-R1
2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250r
1996 Yamaha YZ 125

Quote:
No, that's not a problem as long as it functions properly, lots of the level 3 guys are running that. If you find yourself off track, ONLY use the rear brake, or you will go down instantly.
Thanks for the advice. The off track areas are grass, right?
Old 02-04-2016, 06:03 PM   #16
Yorke

Bike(s):
2003 CBR954RR
1979 KZ810 Cafe Racer
2001 Ducati 996s (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod View Post
Since it's the beginning of the season, I'll be looking into getting a set of take offs for my big bike... I'll see what they have when I get there.
On the other hand if I was buying a new tire, I always prefer to buy the set, why? HEAT CYCLES... sometimes the tire looks real good (specially the front one) but the tire has too many heat cycles which the rubber turns hard and brittle losing all its performance (grip)
Also keep in mind buying tires from someone besides the "tire guy" to always ask for the 4 digit numbers on the sidewall of the tire which shows the week and year that it was made. After 2 years if the tire is not properly store it could also lose some of it's performance... Just fyi...
That's good info for fast Level 2 or Level 3 riders, I bought a set of take offs at the last race. But it rained again the next day and I didn't race, I went out a few weeks back and had the rear tire sliding around in some weird spots. Most of it was neutral throttle or maintainance throttle. Tire showed lots of tread, all I could figure is they were just old and dried out.
Liked this post:
Old 02-04-2016, 06:06 PM   #17
Yorke

Bike(s):
2003 CBR954RR
1979 KZ810 Cafe Racer
2001 Ducati 996s (RIP)

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. The off track areas are grass, right?
Most of it is, sugar and spice has a gravel trap, diamonds edge has some asphalt run-off. The rest is grass, but can be a little rough in spots as the cars go off and create rutts. The instructors will tell you what to do, but if you find yourself off track. Get light in the seat, and slowly apply the rear brake and ride it out best you can. Basically ride like your on a dirt bike and use the rear brake.

Most off track wrecks are caused when the rider accidentally uses the front brake, just remember that, if you go off, the front brake do not exist. LOL!
Old 02-04-2016, 06:07 PM   #18
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2003 Honda CRF450R motard
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

Quote:
I just got off the phone with Jack and he charges $25 a wheel to mount the tires, whether you buy them from him or not. I priced a S20 evo tire and he quoted me 165 plus tax for the tire. The same tire goes for about 135 on Rocky Mountain ATV with no tax and free shipping, so thats an extra $40 plus or minus. That's not any more expensive than my local dealer, but I always order my tires so I'm going to bring my own tire. Cheaper to change them at the track than to let the local shop do it.
When you get addicted to this sport, you'll discover that buying tires from the track day vendors (they ALL are good guys) is worth the $$. You will get fresher rubber versus online most of the time (check your hot stamp) and more importantly, you will get good solid advice for each track and the conditions that DAY from the most knowledgeable person at the track. It beats the out of well intentioned and usually BAD info you get from those around you in the pits.
CMRA#665 (neighbor of the beast)
The Problem - Endurance
Tojo92 is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 02-04-2016, 06:09 PM   #19
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Quote:
Told you someone would come along and bring you up to speed. FWIW, and it's been a while so you may want to take this with a grain of salt, but SCRC is based out of Montgomery and if you hit John up early enough he might do free M&B prior to the trackday if purchase your sticky Pirelli's directly from him. Remember this when purchasing your tires. If EVERYONE did this, his $20 fee might increase to $30 or $35. Support those who support you. Just my opinion.

http://scracecenter.com/
Liked this post:
Old 02-04-2016, 06:10 PM   #20
WbDDoT
Brazoria County Bikers

Bike(s):
2008 Yamaha YZF-R1
2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250r
1996 Yamaha YZ 125

Quote:
Most of it is, sugar and spice has a gravel trap, diamonds edge has some asphalt run-off. The rest is grass, but can be a little rough in spots as the cars go off and create rutts. The instructors will tell you what to do, but if you find yourself off track. Get light in the seat, and slowly apply the rear brake and ride it out best you can. Basically ride like your on a dirt bike and use the rear brake.

Most off track wrecks are caused when the rider accidentally uses the front brake, just remember that, if you go off, the front brake do not exist. LOL!
Noted!

Advertisement