MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Cruisers Lounge
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2016, 04:05 PM   #61
TMAX
Forever MODERATE

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
TMAX (Retired in California)
Xciting 500
XT 225
Duke 2
C14 & FZ6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaceMass View Post
Not once did I say I was taking the interstate or going 85. That was just assumed.
take the interstate.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hill Country Roadtrip for Memorial Weekend Stricken55 Off Topic 6 05-08-2015 11:29 PM
roadtrip jcsalazar General Discussion (Moto Related) 29 07-21-2013 07:59 PM
Advice on a roadtrip/vacation? Robert95z Off Topic 11 03-30-2012 01:56 PM
Roadtrip to san Antonio fiesta texas ALEXD Events, Meets and Rides 0 08-10-2010 11:53 AM
Anybody know a Travel Agent? Motohouston Roadtrip?? Los Off Topic 14 03-27-2007 03:16 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-29-2016, 05:40 PM   #62
JaceMass

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
1987 Honda Rebel CMX250

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-Dominance View Post
Hey!!!

IMPORTANT!

Check your valves, run seafoam through your carbs, and check into getting a larger front and/or smaller rear sprocket- your 250 cruiser is going to be murdered at hwy speeds.

I had a 250 rebel and it was great at 50-55. 60-70mph.. it was screaming, revvin out, getting pushed by winds, etc.

IMHO, a sprocket change to relax the motor on the freeway, and DEFINITELY an oil change before making the return leg are in order.

The oil capacity is near nothing on those bikes, and it will be eaten up regardless with a trip like that
I'm rebuilding the bike so I'll definitely take your advice on the smaller rear sprocket and larger front sprocket.
JaceMass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 06:10 PM   #63
JaceMass

Bike(s):
1987 Honda Rebel CMX250

ZX-Dominance, what size sprockets do you recommend? I'm putting together my ordering list. I'm going over everything aside from engine and carb components since I plan to rebuild those.
Old 01-31-2016, 11:18 AM   #64
JaceMass

Bike(s):
1987 Honda Rebel CMX250

Sprocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-Dominance View Post
Hey!!!

IMPORTANT!

Check your valves, run seafoam through your carbs, and check into getting a larger front and/or smaller rear sprocket- your 250 cruiser is going to be murdered at hwy speeds.

I had a 250 rebel and it was great at 50-55. 60-70mph.. it was screaming, revvin out, getting pushed by winds, etc.

IMHO, a sprocket change to relax the motor on the freeway, and DEFINITELY an oil change before making the return leg are in order.

The oil capacity is near nothing on those bikes, and it will be eaten up regardless with a trip like that
Do I need a different chain size if I'm changing the sprocket sizes?
Old 02-01-2016, 11:45 AM   #65
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaceMass View Post
Do I need a different chain size if I'm changing the sprocket sizes?
Likely, though not necessarily. Going down a tooth on the rear sprocket won't be much change in diameter, but it's a much larger proportional change going up one on the front (where you may only have 15-18 teeth to begin with). Also, be sure to see what you have on there now, as you may not have the clearance with the engine case to go up a tooth on the front.

Regardless, it's a good idea to change the chain with the sprockets (assuming it's not already a new chain).

There are sites like this one:
http://sprocketcenter.com/street-spr...250-85-12.html

where you can pick the size sprockets you want and they'll send you a chain that will work with them.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:17 PM   #66
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae View Post
Likely, though not necessarily...
Wow, I couldn't have made a less clear statement...

If the overall change is large, it is likely, with small changes, not necessarily. If you're only going +1/-1, I'd think you'd be well within the range of adjust-ability for the same length chain.
Old 02-01-2016, 01:42 PM   #67
JaceMass

Bike(s):
1987 Honda Rebel CMX250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae View Post
Wow, I couldn't have made a less clear statement...

If the overall change is large, it is likely, with small changes, not necessarily. If you're only going +1/-1, I'd think you'd be well within the range of adjust-ability for the same length chain.
On there now is a 14 and a 33 I think. I figured I'd go up one on the front and down one or two on the back (assuming I can find a 31 or 32) Thoughts?
Old 02-02-2016, 09:30 AM   #68
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

I'd be careful changing both at the same time. You'll probably be fine going +1 in the front with stock rear, or down 2-3 in the rear with stock front, but changing both at the same time may be too large of a change. It's not a terribly powerful engine, and you may not end up gaining any top end speed because you may be limited by power and not gearing.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:22 AM   #69
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

I'd go +1 front and stock rear. You will likely be loaded down a bit with gear and stuff, so don't gear it up too tall. What shape is the chain in? If it is at all questionable, change it before the trip.

Does the bike have a center stand? Seriously consider getting one. Ebay might have used one for cheap. Will make chain cleaning and lubing - and fixing flats - on the road much easier.

Get a small windscreen if you haven't already. No need for a barn door. Your Rebel 250 doesn't have the power to push one anyway. Something like a small wind deflector would be great to take some pressure off your upper torso. 10hrs fighting headwind in a cruiser-ish position will be taxing.

Find some way to carry some extra fuel on the bike. Don't need more than a gal for the 250.

I rode some 450 miles from NYC to Buffalo, NY when I was 19. I was on a Yamaha Maxim XJ650 with a wind deflector. This was back in 55mph days and strictly enforced. With a car, it was easily a 10hr whole day drive. I probably could've have ridden it in one day, but chose to take it easy in 1-1/2 days. Helluva fun road trip. I would not think of doing it with a 250cc. Not then; not now.
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement