MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Cruisers Lounge
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2016, 09:06 PM   #21
pbfoot

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2006 Kawasaki ZG1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repth View Post
This is a terrible idea and I disapprove in its entirety
Give the young man some reasoning for your reply.
pbfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hill Country Roadtrip for Memorial Weekend Stricken55 Off Topic 6 05-08-2015 11:29 PM
roadtrip jcsalazar General Discussion (Moto Related) 29 07-21-2013 07:59 PM
Advice on a roadtrip/vacation? Robert95z Off Topic 11 03-30-2012 01:56 PM
Roadtrip to san Antonio fiesta texas ALEXD Events, Meets and Rides 0 08-10-2010 11:53 AM
Anybody know a Travel Agent? Motohouston Roadtrip?? Los Off Topic 14 03-27-2007 03:16 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-27-2016, 09:07 PM   #22
JaceMass

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
1987 Honda Rebel CMX250

I'd like to compile a list of what I'll need. So far I have windscreen, basic motorcycle gear, 2 days of extra clothing, basic hygiene tools, rain suit, portable jump starter.
JaceMass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 09:09 PM   #23
pbfoot

Bike(s):
2006 Kawasaki ZG1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repth View Post
This is a terrible idea and I disapprove in its entirety
Yes. Give the young man some good reasons.
pbfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 09:09 PM   #24
JaceMass

Bike(s):
1987 Honda Rebel CMX250

Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by atvmxr View Post
WTF? Thats NE of DFW - why on moto houston?

anyway, Id pick somewhere around arkadelphia, Camden, PineBluff, El Dorado AR to spend the night
This was the only motorcycle forum I could find that was active so I went with it.
Old 01-27-2016, 09:10 PM   #25
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Man you are going to be hating life with runs that long. Do yourself a favor and lower the hours in a single hop. 10 hours is long as and you will be mentally and physically drained.
Old 01-27-2016, 09:13 PM   #26
JaceMass

Bike(s):
1987 Honda Rebel CMX250

Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave18 View Post
Man you are going to be hating life with runs that long. Do yourself a favor and lower the hours in a single hop. 10 hours is long as and you will be mentally and physically drained.
I'm probably too used to road trips in my car. Five to six hours a day should be good, right? I just feel lazy doing less than that because I go the four hours to Lubbock and the four hours back at least one day a month.
Old 01-27-2016, 09:15 PM   #27
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Cruiser Roadtrip

You will be looking far ahead and scanning the highway. Your brain gets tired of all of that processing. It seriously drains you. It's even worse if you are hauling . Either way be a little less optimistic about the distance per day and it will be a better trip. If you push it, you will be hating life.
Old 01-27-2016, 09:22 PM   #28
JaceMass

Bike(s):
1987 Honda Rebel CMX250

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave18 View Post
You will be looking far ahead and scanning the highway. Your brain gets tired of all of that processing. It seriously drains you. It's even worse if you are hauling . Either way be a little less optimistic about the distance per day and it will be a better trip. If you push it, you will be hating life.
Can you give me an idea of what to shoot for? I'm a college student so it'll have to be during the summer no matter how many days I take, but I need to figure up how many days of food I'll want to save for.
Old 01-27-2016, 09:49 PM   #29
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

400 is a max I would shoot for to be honest. I'm older and my back is
Old 01-27-2016, 10:01 PM   #30
forty_caliber
Rocket Rider

Bike(s):
Triumph Rocket III Touring

A trip of this length is ill-advised at this point in your riding career. As others have suggested more experience is required before you make the attempt. If you survive it, you'll have a great story to tell...if not, you were warned. You might find yourself in some real pretty $hit.

I would take planning a trip of that length very seriously and give myself plenty of time. No more than 500-600 miles per day with a stop every couple of hours to rest and relax.

Do you have your "M" endorsement yet?

Start saving your nickels and dimes. It's going to be an expensive trip. Food, lodging, entertainment, and repairs. Where are the MC repair shops along your route? Dealerships for your make of MC? What hotels are you going to stay at?

If you are determined to go, go first class.

Last edited by forty_caliber; 01-27-2016 at 10:03 PM.
forty_caliber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 11:04 PM   #31
JaceMass

Bike(s):
1987 Honda Rebel CMX250

Quote:
Originally Posted by forty_caliber View Post
A trip of this length is ill-advised at this point in your riding career. As others have suggested more experience is required before you make the attempt. If you survive it, you'll have a great story to tell...if not, you were warned. You might find yourself in some real pretty $hit.

I would take planning a trip of that length very seriously and give myself plenty of time. No more than 500-600 miles per day with a stop every couple of hours to rest and relax.

Do you have your "M" endorsement yet?

Start saving your nickels and dimes. It's going to be an expensive trip. Food, lodging, entertainment, and repairs. Where are the MC repair shops along your route? Dealerships for your make of MC? What hotels are you going to stay at?

If you are determined to go, go first class.

I'm getting my "M" endorsement after I finish fixing my bike. Needs a new solenoid and the gas tank put back on. Solenoid is in the mail. I'm taking it up to a shop after to have it checked and see if they think it's ready to take out. I'm considering taking it down to the frame and putting it back together replacing a lot of parts. It's an 87, so I don't trust it completely right now.

Going to stay at an embassy suites in Nashville, with family in Tennessee and with family in SC. Every other night I'll find a motel room.

Last edited by JaceMass; 01-27-2016 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Information
Old 01-28-2016, 08:49 AM   #32
flipstyledsm22
Lets go fishing!

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
1994 FLSTC Pro-Street Chopper
1964 Tote Gote
2003 GSXR600 - SOLD
2004 ZX6R - SOLD
1986 VFR750 - SOLD

Send a message via Yahoo to flipstyledsm22
I truly think you ought to plan this trip out in more detail. Don't go by capable distance based on your average fuel consumption. I would plan a nice route on some low volume roads and make stops every hour to fuel, snack, and rest. Take your time. It almost seems you have a deadline to meet and will be rushing yourself... if that's the case, cage it up there and save the bike ride for another time when you can afford to putt-putt around on that 250. You are really going to hate yourself if you are dodging vehicles long distance on boring straight-line roads on that scooter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
I hate perma bans they are sooo...permanent.
flipstyledsm22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 01-28-2016, 09:00 AM   #33
flipstyledsm22
Lets go fishing!

Bike(s):
1994 FLSTC Pro-Street Chopper
1964 Tote Gote
2003 GSXR600 - SOLD
2004 ZX6R - SOLD
1986 VFR750 - SOLD

Send a message via Yahoo to flipstyledsm22
Also, I ride a larger displacement chopper. It is on my back on rides that are 60+ miles, but if I choose a scenic route, or ride with fun groups, I can do well over 100+ miles before breaks.

When I'm by myself and riding through heavy freeway traffic for 10 minutes, it is comparable to an hour ride for me. I'm constantly focused on the road ahead, while constantly checking my surroundings, and listening for unnatural noises. I'm dodging debris, arrogant cagers, and battling cross winds from semi-trucks.

With that being said, I think you need more time on the road and maybe purchasing a larger bike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
I hate perma bans they are sooo...permanent.
flipstyledsm22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 10:06 AM   #34
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaceMass View Post
Well you can't just say you disapprove without telling me why haha
-You haven't been riding long enough
-You're trying to go too far too fast every day
-A 250 is too small for extended freeway trips at any level of comfort
-Freeway miles are boring and fatiguing
Old 01-28-2016, 11:03 AM   #35
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

Having done a few long trips, the first of which was 4200 miles within 6 months of starting to ride, what you're wanting to do is possible, but I agree that your daily mileage expectations are optimistic at best.

Keep in mind, first off, that if you expect to be riding interstates on your 250, you're going to be pushing the bike to its limits for hours on end. This is going to be hard on the machine.

Next, 600 miles in a day riding interstate is possible, but if you're wanting to take smaller highways, 350-400 is probably going to be the max you'll want to try to fit in. In my experience, gas isn't always the limiting factor in timing your stops, as your body will get fatigued before you run out of gas, especially in the afternoon. I found myself stopping at about 1.5 hour intervals for about 30 min. "gas stops" on just about every trip.

Now, a couple of differences in my past trips and yours... I always camp (tent and sleeping bag) overnight, mostly because I didn't have hotel money and you can stay at a tent site at a KOA usually around $20, and I've never gone more than a day's ride without having a riding buddy. As for the first, I don't doubt that sleeping on the ground contributed a bit more to my overall fatigue, and it necessitated carrying quite a bit more gear that you won't need. As for having a buddy on the road, it's a double-edged sword. Having someone to interact with can help to keep you awake, and it's nice to have another person right there if you have some kind of problem (mechanical or otherwise), but you're also going to be stopping more frequently. This might be part of the reason we were usually topping out around 350 miles per day, but they were also scenic trips so there were occasional 1-1.5 hour stops just because.

As for what you'll need:
- some clothes. I don't know what you're planning in the way of gear, but I would recommend (in addition to your riding jacket) using a set of over-pants. Something ventilated, possibly with rain protection, but this will allow you to take a single pair of pants for your trip that you won't have to worry about getting wet/dirty on your ride. Just throw on a pair of gym shorts and throw your riding pants on over. I typically do the same with shirts and socks. I'll pack shirts for the destination and two or three days worth of old undershirts and socks. When they get smelly, just toss them in the trash. On the way back, get a pack of new cotton undershirts and socks to replace the old ones I tossed. Saves a bit of laundry (hasn't been available for me mid-trip) and I replace stuff that was at the end of its usable life anyway.

-luggage. Don't plan on throwing everything in a backpack and just wearing it. It will cause extra strain on your body, and you WILL get tired just from riding. There's no reason to increase the level of stress on your body. If you want something inexpensive and waterproof, I'd check out the FirstGear torrent duffles. I have a 40L and it's more than big enough to pack an entire week's worth of stuff, a 25L is probably what I should have gone with. Strap it to the passenger seat and it can double as a back rest.
http://firstgear-usa.com/luggage/tor...-capacity.html

In addition to some sort of bag for clothes, I'd strongly recommend getting a magnetic tank bag. You can find them inexpensively, and they're handy to keep a map, cell phone, snacks (protein bars, bottle of water, etc), and whatever else you want to keep on-hand and easily accessible.

-camel back, or similar. As others have stated, you will get tired and dehydrated. On the majority of my trips I would go through about a liter of 50/50 water/gatorade mix every hour or so. When we were in Arizona/Utah/Nevada/Death Valley in July it was closer to 2L/hour. This is another reason that gas was not always the limiting factor in how long you can ride. (The scary thing is when you're drinking that much fluid and never have to pee...)

-communication. If you're riding with another person, it might be nice to have a bluetooth communication system, but it's not necessary. Either way, I recommend using some form of hearing protection, whether noise reducing ear buds or ear plugs. You'll be surprised how much the constant wind and exhaust noise can add to fatigue. Additionally, it never hurts to have music or an audio book to help keep you awake. Don't forget to keep your phone charged, and it might not be a bad idea to add a usb charging port to your bike. If you've already got a battery tender plug setup, there's actually a usb attachment you can get (or make) that plugs in to the same plug the tender would use, and allows you to charge directly off the battery. Be careful not to leave something plugged in charging with the bike off though, as you could possibly run down your battery.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:37 AM   #36
TMAX
Forever MODERATE

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
TMAX (Retired in California)
Xciting 500
XT 225
Duke 2
C14 & FZ6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae View Post
Having done a few long trips, the first of which was 4200 miles within 6 months of starting to ride, what you're wanting to do is possible, but I agree that your daily mileage expectations are optimistic at best.

Keep in mind, first off, that if you expect to be riding interstates on your 250, you're going to be pushing the bike to its limits for hours on end. This is going to be hard on the machine.

Next, 600 miles in a day riding interstate is possible, but if you're wanting to take smaller highways, 350-400 is probably going to be the max you'll want to try to fit in. In my experience, gas isn't always the limiting factor in timing your stops, as your body will get fatigued before you run out of gas, especially in the afternoon. I found myself stopping at about 1.5 hour intervals for about 30 min. "gas stops" on just about every trip.

Now, a couple of differences in my past trips and yours... I always camp (tent and sleeping bag) overnight, mostly because I didn't have hotel money and you can stay at a tent site at a KOA usually around $20, and I've never gone more than a day's ride without having a riding buddy. As for the first, I don't doubt that sleeping on the ground contributed a bit more to my overall fatigue, and it necessitated carrying quite a bit more gear that you won't need. As for having a buddy on the road, it's a double-edged sword. Having someone to interact with can help to keep you awake, and it's nice to have another person right there if you have some kind of problem (mechanical or otherwise), but you're also going to be stopping more frequently. This might be part of the reason we were usually topping out around 350 miles per day, but they were also scenic trips so there were occasional 1-1.5 hour stops just because.

As for what you'll need:
- some clothes. I don't know what you're planning in the way of gear, but I would recommend (in addition to your riding jacket) using a set of over-pants. Something ventilated, possibly with rain protection, but this will allow you to take a single pair of pants for your trip that you won't have to worry about getting wet/dirty on your ride. Just throw on a pair of gym shorts and throw your riding pants on over. I typically do the same with shirts and socks. I'll pack shirts for the destination and two or three days worth of old undershirts and socks. When they get smelly, just toss them in the trash. On the way back, get a pack of new cotton undershirts and socks to replace the old ones I tossed. Saves a bit of laundry (hasn't been available for me mid-trip) and I replace stuff that was at the end of its usable life anyway.

-luggage. Don't plan on throwing everything in a backpack and just wearing it. It will cause extra strain on your body, and you WILL get tired just from riding. There's no reason to increase the level of stress on your body. If you want something inexpensive and waterproof, I'd check out the FirstGear torrent duffles. I have a 40L and it's more than big enough to pack an entire week's worth of stuff, a 25L is probably what I should have gone with. Strap it to the passenger seat and it can double as a back rest.
http://firstgear-usa.com/luggage/tor...-capacity.html

In addition to some sort of bag for clothes, I'd strongly recommend getting a magnetic tank bag. You can find them inexpensively, and they're handy to keep a map, cell phone, snacks (protein bars, bottle of water, etc), and whatever else you want to keep on-hand and easily accessible.

-camel back, or similar. As others have stated, you will get tired and dehydrated. On the majority of my trips I would go through about a liter of 50/50 water/gatorade mix every hour or so. When we were in Arizona/Utah/Nevada/Death Valley in July it was closer to 2L/hour. This is another reason that gas was not always the limiting factor in how long you can ride. (The scary thing is when you're drinking that much fluid and never have to pee...)

-communication. If you're riding with another person, it might be nice to have a bluetooth communication system, but it's not necessary. Either way, I recommend using some form of hearing protection, whether noise reducing ear buds or ear plugs. You'll be surprised how much the constant wind and exhaust noise can add to fatigue. Additionally, it never hurts to have music or an audio book to help keep you awake. Don't forget to keep your phone charged, and it might not be a bad idea to add a usb charging port to your bike. If you've already got a battery tender plug setup, there's actually a usb attachment you can get (or make) that plugs in to the same plug the tender would use, and allows you to charge directly off the battery. Be careful not to leave something plugged in charging with the bike off though, as you could possibly run down your battery.
listen to this guy.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:44 AM   #37
TMAX
Forever MODERATE

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
TMAX (Retired in California)
Xciting 500
XT 225
Duke 2
C14 & FZ6

Jace

it can be done, and it will be on of the best adventures you take going cross country.

250 or not, there have been people who have done this same type of trip on 50cc scooter, 125cc scooters, groms.

Your mileage expectations on a 250 will be likely around 150 miles per tank or less on the safe side going at max 70mph. 70 should be just fine on your...Rebel?

DO it.

* Wire up your bike with a power source, phone charger, GPS, tire inflator
* Plug kit for sure
* home made tool kit for everything you may need
* Saddlebags

Just do it. Ive done 1000 miles in one day on a scooter.though it was a measley 500.

When youre riding just think destination!!! However, the road back is always the toughest!!! haha!
Old 01-28-2016, 11:51 AM   #38
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

agree on the back pack. Do what you can to avoid a back pack
Old 01-28-2016, 11:55 AM   #39
atvmxr

Bike(s):
2001 Vulcan 800
CR125
LT500R
TRX250r
ATC350X

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaceMass View Post
because I go the four hours to Lubbock and the four hours back at least one day a month.
on your bike???
atvmxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 12:56 PM   #40
albertinhouston

Id say if it was another 250 go for it. that rebel is going to take a beating from the cross winds. Its gong to ware you out! What you do have in your corner is youth. so you can probably push through it.
albertinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement