Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > News & Media > Motorcycle News & Media > Industry News
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2016, 10:50 PM   #1
NewsBot

Feedback Rating: (0)

MotoGP: The Michelin rear tire? A Christmas present for Espargaro

motogp pol espargaro michelin tires?itokkZ8YpLMW Photo courtesy of Monster Tech 3 Yamaha

Monster Tech 3 Yamaha's Pol Espargarů loves the new rear Michelin MotoGP spec tire. Now the front tire is another story...

Pol Espargarů is a positive character. Sure, when things go awry he gets angry, like everyone else, but his outlook is essentially to see always see the glass half full. And with the Michelin entering the stage, for Pol Espargarů, the glass is practically three quarters full.

"Yes," he responded when asked if he was excited by new tires. "The rear Michelin was made for me! I love it. Itís a tire that Iíve been waiting for a long time; basically Iíve been waiting two years." However he remained skeptical, like the rest of his companions, with the front.

"It's a pretty big problem we have right now. Maybe it's a little worse for the Yamaha, which is more finicky and we struggle more because Yamaha always used the front end to steer while the other brands square more in the corners and need less front end through the corners and so carry less weight in front. Let's see what happens. Hopefully the Yamaha, both the newer and the older, can work well and be competitive in 2016."

Despite the doubts, the truth is that it is precisely these questions that open the door to the possibility of a shift in the MotoGPís status quo. Nobody knows what will happen. "Change is always good, for better or for worse," agrees Pol. "Itís important to keep improving and changing, and maybe this will make us all a little more equal. In the back of the category, Dorna and IRTA want all riders to be able to qualify for the same positions, and not for the satellite teams to have to do more to get within a second of the factories that are doing less.Ē

"Itís true that the factory teams have more experience and go faster than us, it would be foolish not to admit it, but there are circuits that we should be able to shine at and be a little faster. Although they are usually quicker than us, at some circuits we should be able to beat them; and that right now isnít possible. I think Dorna is working on it, they want equality for everyone and that's important for us."

So, Dorna is looking for a way to somehow equalize the field, or at least reduce the differences between the factory teams and the rest. But what is the factoriesí take on it? To turn things around, the introduction of the new format of the championship is, on paper, a perfect opportunity for the satellite teams to be more involved in the development of new bikes. For more information gathering, for more opportunities of advancing...isnít that what theyíve always said?

"So, the smart thing, and I say it wonít happen because Iím a rider, is that they turn to us for a little help in the development of the new bikes," Pol said without much conviction in his voice. "In the end they listen to different points of view and now need as much information as possible to get the best package. I think Yamaha is aware of this and will try to throw us bone so that we can throw one to them. Well, at least I hope so!"

More...
NewsBot is offline   Reply With Quote