MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2016, 01:54 PM   #1
SideVinder650

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
Suzuki SV650 2nd gen

Go pro owners: safety recording ride

hey guys, i have a 2 part question here.

does anyone go pro their rides for safety purposes? ie: i get killed in an accident on my bike hopefully there's "some" evidence there to show what happened?

i am curious because i am thinking about picking up 2 go pro's one for the bike helmet and one for the cage.

how wide is the recording angles?

ex: if i was in the center lane on a 3 lane highway, is the view angle big enough to view the center lane and the two adjacent lanes moving in my direction? I want to put 1 go pro on a dashboard in a car and have it record as wide of angle as possible to increase safety.

Does the go pro do that effectively? It doesnt have to be a huge angle but definitely enough to confidently and reliably record the angles facing the cameras recording view angle.

Just looking for opinions.

In this respect I dont need the latest go pro with the bells and whistles that are for like extreme sports or water proof or anything like that just basic operation.

Also if you use some other device or have a suggestion for something different i am all ears.

Thanks for taking a look,
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HTC Touch Pro owners take a look 1slocbr Off Topic 13 06-02-2009 09:51 AM
lets be pro active safety in mind hughes40 Safety Corner Main 51 05-22-2008 08:28 PM
pro stunt+pro twisty+pro offroad+pro bull fighter Din General Discussion (Moto Related) 15 12-26-2005 11:25 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-23-2016, 03:30 PM   #2
Nikkon

Feedback Rating: (13)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
08 drz400sm - current
2017 z125 PRO - current
2008 sv650 - current
14 Cb500x adv setup - current
14 181cc honda grom - current

I have set up 2 of my helmet for this using the sena 10c. Gopros are better video quality but didnt want all the hassle of mounting it wierd or anything plus the the fact it has the bluetooth build in plus you can charge while using it.

You can check most motovlogers off youtube to see the angle width and all.
Nikkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 04:56 PM   #3
c10

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Hayabusa Gen II
Yamaha T Max

what you need for car is one like this much better / powered of car / over writes recorded video unless you save it .

https://jet.com/product/detail/35cc8...1GoaAvpW8P8HAQ
c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 10:40 PM   #4
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by c10 View Post
what you need for car is one like this much better / powered of car / over writes recorded video unless you save it .

https://jet.com/product/detail/35cc8...1GoaAvpW8P8HAQ
Yes. There is some good info in this post

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=327938

Also. GoPro is kind of the industry darling of the action camera. You could easily find a cheaper brand.
Old 01-24-2016, 10:57 AM   #5
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

My helmet cam is mostly for safety purpose as mentioned. I didn't go with GoPro because it's not meant for side mounting. I don't like top mount because it doesn't fit inside my top case, and I prefer to keep the cam mounted pretty much permanently.

Video quality is of secondary value, as long as it does continuous endless loop recording.
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 11:02 PM   #6
tonzofphun

GoPro
I tried the gopro but it didn't have the features I need for a true dash cam on a motorcycle. It just became too cumbersome to have to set it up every ride. Then, I would have to make sure it is recording.

I needed something that was set and forget. What if I was too lazy one time and decided not to ride with it and something ended up happening?

Now, I just use the GoPros for documenting casual rides with friends or track days.

pros:
  1. It has 170 degree field of view
  2. loop feature, which overwrites old data to make room for new
  3. has a water proof casing
  4. many mounting options
  5. great resolution and frame rates for reading license plates depending on model

cons:
  1. You would have to set it up every time you go out for a ride
  2. I wouldn't suggest leaving it on the bike, helmet, or visible in the car when unattended
  3. battery only last 1.5-2 hours depending on quality, wifi on/off, etc...
  4. Does not have an auto on/record feature when you turn the ignition key
  5. $$$
Mobius
For my motorcycle, I use a mobius action cam with the wide lens option. They can be had for around $80 on ebay/amazon. It is much much smaller than a gopro.

Mine is "permanently" mounted with 3m double sided tape right under my triple tree. It's not in plain sight but I wouldn't cry too much if it was stolen. It is not as a hot commodity among thieves as a gopro.

It has a mini usb wire run to a battery tender usb plug. I ran positive side of the sae tender cable and spliced into the brake light wire so that the usb cord only receives power when the ignition is on. This allows it to auto record when the key is turned. I don't have to do anything.

It has loop recording so that I only pull the micro sd card if i want to check out the footage if something interesting happened on the road. It is truly set and forgot. I do check it monthly to make sure it is still working.

cons:
  1. no waterproof case. I have had to use the bag of rice trick before on super rainy days
  2. only has 116 degree field of view
  3. highest resolution is 1080p 30 frames which might reading plates difficult
  4. sometimes the time stamp gets out of sync
  5. initial mounting, wire routing, and programming may require some problem solving
  6. might not withstand a nasty collision as well as a gopro in a case, therefore no evidence
G1W
For a car dash cam, I would avoid a gopro for the same reasons I wouldn't use it for a motorcycle. I hear the G1W line of car dash cams are widely used. They are about $60 on amazon. I have no experience with them because I haven't put a dash cam in my car yet. If I was going to buy one, this would probably be the one I would go with.

As far as mounting it, the only thing you might want to do is wire the usb cord in the headliner or run it along so it is out of sight.
tonzofphun is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 01-25-2016, 12:59 AM   #7
LifeRocket7

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2005 ZX6R 636

I've recorded my rides/commutes with a GoPro. There are better options out there, as listed above. I'm currently running a GoPro Hero 4 Black (got an insane deal on it...) and it gets the job done for me.

Superview angle lens captures A LOT. Battery life on my H4 Black is pretty lame... so I carry a spare battery.
LifeRocket7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 10:02 AM   #8
urbanXJ
erect engorged member

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2008 Versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideVinder650 View Post
hey guys, i have a 2 part question here.

does anyone go pro their rides for safety purposes? ie: i get killed in an accident on my bike hopefully there's "some" evidence there to show what happened?

i am curious because i am thinking about picking up 2 go pro's one for the bike helmet and one for the cage.

how wide is the recording angles?

ex: if i was in the center lane on a 3 lane highway, is the view angle big enough to view the center lane and the two adjacent lanes moving in my direction? I want to put 1 go pro on a dashboard in a car and have it record as wide of angle as possible to increase safety.

Does the go pro do that effectively? It doesnt have to be a huge angle but definitely enough to confidently and reliably record the angles facing the cameras recording view angle.

Just looking for opinions.

In this respect I dont need the latest go pro with the bells and whistles that are for like extreme sports or water proof or anything like that just basic operation.

Also if you use some other device or have a suggestion for something different i am all ears.

Thanks for taking a look,
the gopro will do exactly what you want mounted to your helmet.

It will need to be charged every 2.5-3 hours, has a 170 degree fov, and the mid range take 1080p video at 30 frames per second.

Plug it into your HD tv, and press pause when passing an oncoming car. Each of you are doing about 70 and you can still read the LP and see the face.

In the car, get a cheap one. There is a thread in the car section.
urbanXJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement