MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2007, 01:23 PM   #21
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 10+ years

why the left rear side? do people not hit the left rear sides of their heads?

it is a neat idea.
hotnanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-17-2007, 01:25 PM   #22
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psych0ninja
this wasnt just for bike wrecks it was for any kind of accident it is not to tell them hey they just got in a wreck we did it for Patient history find out about allergies
Well, now you're talking about something totally different. Obviously, and this hasn't changed in my 20+ years on the job, checking for medic alert tags and similar things like that has nothing to do with checking a cell phone for NOK information. The only time I do that on a scene is for DNRs (looking for NOK information).

This is suggesting (and for the past 4 or 5 years I have seen this circulate on the internet, specifically on motorcycle message boards) that first responders will check these "I.C.E." listings in cell phones, so they can "immediately" notify your family if there is an emergency. Even when this does happen (looking for contact information), it isn't immediate, and it shouldn't be.

Sure, having this information in your cell phone isn't going to hurt anything, but it isn't the best way to carry this info, heck, even if you aren't in a motorcycle accident and are in some other type of accident or emergency.

One of the biggest PITA is when EMS/ Fire arrives and the calling parties are yacking on the cell phone to someone they *think* they need to talk to and won't hang up. For some reason, people think they have to let people know things as soon as they happen... it's our ADD society.

So, before anyone gets their panties wadded up, I'm not saying that people shouldn't be notified in the event of an accident or death- I'm just saying that #1 the cell phone is one way of carrying information, but it's not the best way, and #2 there are plenty of other actual important things that should be done prior to thinking about notifying anyone about an accident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychOninja
where do you work at?
Just SW of Houston.

Last edited by tomLSTD; 07-17-2007 at 01:30 PM.
tomLSTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 01:26 PM   #23
Mr. Unassailable
1-20-2013-Change we need

Feedback Rating: (6)

Trackdays: 10+

Member Garage

i've had it in my phone for a couple of years... its never been used.. when i was told about it i just kinda shrugged it off as another # in the phone and stuck it in there, it was a family member that told me to do it, i wasnt going to blow it off... but i dont think it will be used if i go down or if something happens.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:28 PM   #24
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotnanas
why the left rear side? do people not hit the left rear sides of their heads?

it is a neat idea.
There are a bunch of things out there on the market for this (helmet stickers, etc). I could get my graphics guy to make up some reflective ones on the cheap if yall want, but there are several commercial brands out there.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:38 PM   #25
andre3k
I see dead people...

Feedback Rating: (1)

I can see it being used when you're DOA to notify next of kin. Usually we just scroll through the phone book and try to find mom, dad, sis, ....something of that sort. But this is for dead folk, not injured people.
andre3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 08:26 AM   #26
Somebody1010
CCS EX #62

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
04 Suzuki 600 (Track only) 04 Kawi KX 250

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Somebody1010 Send a message via Yahoo to Somebody1010
i just have my dog tags so they can id me and on the back i have a NOK label, also have some stuff in my wallet.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:55 PM   #27
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

^^^^^
Good idea
Old 07-18-2007, 02:27 PM   #28
lilmckee
Not part of the wannbes

Feedback Rating: (0)

...Dog tags although mine are real, you can get then cheap to say just about anything

Then again that just says who I am.

Maybe have 2 one for who you are any major allergies (i.e. penicillin, diabetic, etc) and one for emergency contact or NOK

...i feel naked without them :(

where is mckee?
lilmckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 03:06 PM   #29
ysr612

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
Transalp, DRZ, Hurricane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psych0ninja
Actually I am a paramedic and a firefighter and once i have a patient int he ambulance if they are unconcious I go through wallet and phone to look for an information card or for ICE in there phone Guys it is a good idea i mean What is it gonna hurt?
the people in the E.D. mostly do not like family in with the patient as they get in the way and seriously impair quality of care. So unless you are dead they are not likely to ruin your care by calling your family.
ysr612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 03:08 PM   #30
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr612
the people in the E.D. mostly do not like family in with the patient as they get in the way and seriously impair quality of care. So unless you are dead they are not likely to ruin your care by calling your family.

+1

Advertisement