MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > News & Media > Motorcycle News & Media > Industry News
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2016, 03:10 PM   #1
NewsBot

Feedback Rating: (0)

Valentino Rossi interview: "I would do everything the same, my statements have not ch

motogp valentino rossi interview yamaha launch?itokOmw99ZnK Photo courtesy of Movistar Yamaha MotoGP

Rossi talked to the press for the first time at the official 2016 Movistar Yamaha MotoGP launch, and he faced the inevitable barrage of questions regarding the controversial conclusion to the 2015 season.

BARCELONA - Those who know him well, those around him who witness him training daily at the "Ranch," are convinced that he is "the same old Valentino Rossi." That may be so, but the face of Rossi at the official Yamaha Racing presentation in Spain makes it clear he is disappointed, that he is not full of his usual joy. Maybe it's the aseptic environment of the Movistar office that doesnít help, maybe itís the atmosphere of a subdued presentation, somewhat formal and lacking in the triumphant celebration deserving of a team that just won everything in 2015: the World Championship, the Constructors' Championship, and first and second place overall in the Rider's Championship standings. The fact is that Rossi appears different to what we're used to, even at these types of clinical official events, certainly the most uninteresting and least suited to the champion of Tavullia. In short, it is impossible to forget what happened in 2015, not only for Rossi, but also for Yamaha.

What did you do after Valencia? Was it hard to overcome the disappointment?
"After Valencia, it was difficult, especially the first two weeks were very hard, the disappointment was very great. I was at home, I did not do anything special, then there was the Monza Rally weekend: I returned to leading, to having fun, to do what I like. I can say that that was the moment when the disappointment of 2015 was over and I returned to thinking about the future."

Why did you give up the appeal to the CAS?
"The appeal was made to not start from the last position in Valencia; everything else did not matter, it made no sense to continue."

After Valencia, did you ever think about quitting?
"Surely it was difficult to accept what happened at the end of 2015, and it could have also have been the impetus to quit. But it would be like giving up and I want to race, I think I'm still competitive. So no, I have never touched on the idea of quitting: I have another year contracted and, above all, it would not be the right reaction. We must take advantage of what happened last year to be even more motivated and we must look ahead."

You shook hands with Lorenzo, that was not so likely to happen...
"We must be strong and leave out personal issues. Lorenzo was my teammate for many years and often was my direct opponent: we have to work together and be professional. If there is a good atmosphere it is nicer."

Did you shake hands with Marquez?
"Fortunately Marquez is not my team-mateÖĒ

You always said that age is not a problem, but many consider last season as your last chance to win the title: how do you see it?
"In recent years, Iíve heard many times that it should be my last season: but we hope that 2015 is one of many more. It will definitely be difficult to be as strong as in 2015, but that's the goal: to fight for the win, for the title, to conquer podiums. Then we'll see."

All the rider's contracts expire this year. Will this be your last season together with Lorenzo?
"I have to think of me. As Lin Jarvis (responsible for all racing Yamaha, NDA) said during the presentation, after 3, 4 maximum 5 races we will begin to talk about 2017, but for me what happens with Lorenzo will change little, it wonít affect my decisions."

The first time you met with Lorenzo after Valencia, what effect did that have on you? And what will happen when you meet with Marquez in Sepang?
"Seeing Lorenzo was normal, it will be the same with Marquez."

They say that the desire for revenge can provide even more motivation, are you starting 2016 fully motivated?
"Yes, I have a lot of motivation, that wonít be an issue. But it isnít because I want revenge, Iím not racing for that, but because like it, because I like the competition, the challenge."

Jarvis said that we want respect between the riders and between all the people involved in MotoGP: do you still have respect for Lorenzo and Marquez?
"What is respect? For me, Marquez especially but also Lorenzo had little respect for me. I believe I was right: I always respected everyone and will continue to do so. But it should be paid."

Why do you think Marquez would have had all this bitterness towards you?
"I have asked myself that many times, but havenít found an answer. Maybe I was his scapegoat, blaming me for his difficulties of 2015...but you should ask him."

Looking at the glass half full, you could say that to beat Valentino Rossi one had to ally themselves with other riders.
"It's true, in the end I lost the title in 2015, but it was certainly a very good year. I reached the finale fighting for the world championship. It can be considered an honor that they had pull together to beat me."

Would you do anything different in 2015 if you could go back, what about the statements on Thursday at Sepang?
"I totally disagree with those who say that Marquez reacted following my words: That wasnít so, he had already decided to make me lose the world championship. So yes, I would do everything the same: my statements have not changed anything."

In your opinion, has the image of MotoGP been compromised?
"Surely it was a situation that was no one was expecting, but itís now in the past. It should have been handled better, also by the organizers, but fortunately we are returning to the track: that's where we need to be professional, to have respect for each other. You have to be aggressive but not unfair, to fight only for oneself."

There is little time left to talk about the motorcycle, tire, electronicsÖ
"No one knows what the ideal balance is to make the most of the Michelins. The riding style is very different from that with Bridgestone, in a lot of small ways, from the corner entry, the distance traveled where there seems there are more problems, the output, the lines to hold. As for the electronics, itís normal that the first time out all the riders complain because, inevitably, there has been a step back from what they were like before. I donít think though that there will be a big problem, we are all on the same level and our engineers are smart enough to find the best solutions. I donít know if the Yamaha is further back than the Honda or if itís true that Ducati has tested the Michelins more in 2015 because they could afford it, while Yamaha, with two riders fighting for the title, had to focus on Bridgestone. We have to be good and fast at Sepang to find the way forward quickly."

Who will be the opponents to beat?
"They are always the same: Lorenzo, Pedrosa and Marquez. It could be, however, that with the new regulations things are more level and we are all more competitive riders."

More...
NewsBot is offline   Reply With Quote