Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's.....
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2016, 03:16 PM   #1
OTGs197

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

CRF150R Giving me fits!

Hey guys...I need some help here. Trying decide if this is an ignition or carburation issue. Maybe someone has experienced this before...

A friend came over the other day to ride with my kids on her 2014 CRF150R. The bike is low hour, and all stock with the 45 pilot. Back in May, after the bike had sat for a few months, I went through the carb just to clean it and install a 45 pilot(which it already had - thought they came with a 40). Anyway, after it was done, the bike ran as it should. She doesn't get to ride too often, but it has been ridden several times since. So, the other day, she brought it over, and all was not well. It would fire up easily, but as soon as you'd crack the throttle, it would try to rev(a couple hundred rpm), then bog and die. Tried several times to get it going, but always the same result. She left the bike with me to check things out. I pulled the bowl, and there was some fine silt in there, so I thought that was the issue. Nope.
Cleaned the carb thoroughly, popped it back on, and the whole way it ran changed. It wouldn't idle(set at 2 1/4 turns), opening the throttle slightly it starts to misfire and cough(no backfire or popping) almost like you're bumping the kill switch or hitting a rev limiter. But, when you smack it to WOT, no problems. It's happy. It'll bang the limiter in a half second. Thinking for sure I'd missed a passage or jet somewhere, I pulled and cleaned the carb again, checking over the entire unit. I couldn't find anything "off". Re-installed, same thing. I've since (after repeating the same procedures a couple more times - def. of insanity) gotten it to idle by having the mixture screw out only 1/4 turn. The cutting out/misfire remains. I've lowered the needle by 1 slot(as it acts rich), with no noticeable change. I can pull the hot start lever with it running, and it doesn't have any affect either. I've read through a lot of web posts on the all knowing interwebs, but I haven't found anyone describing this problem. Honestly, I'm sure it's something I'm doing wrong...just don't know what it is. I'm the guy who people in my "circle" bring there stuff to for repair, and I'm stumped. What's even more odd is that I recently bought a non-running 400EX that is acting very similar(why I'm sure it's something in my procedure that I'm missing). It now runs, but doesn't like steady partial throttle, but happy at WFO.
Help, and please excuse any typos. Thanks.
Oh yeah, and I have changed the plug as well.
OTGs197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What fits... Kodak General Discussion (Moto Related) 1 07-15-2012 08:17 PM
CRF150R vs. NINJA! Scorpio General Discussion (Moto Related) 17 08-27-2011 03:50 PM
What fits- R6 theDINGO How To's and Q & A's 0 12-20-2010 01:56 AM
found something that fits jrock General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 04-07-2006 10:35 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-14-2016, 03:26 PM   #2
hondarider77

Bike(s):
2007 cbr1000rr
2005 crf450r
2005 crf150f
2005 crf150f tarded
2008 r6

Send a message via AIM to hondarider77
Even the smallest piece of dirt or bad gas can make a bike run like . Sounds like maybe blockage in the main jet. Just because it looks clean 1 sec doesn't mean there isn't something almost invisible lodged in that jet. Make sure all your adjustment screws are set properly. Even a quarter turn off will make it run like . Thumper talk probably has what you need to set the screws for almost sea level elevation
hondarider77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 03:38 PM   #3
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

Spark plug condition?

My 150r would always vibrate the A/F screw loose so I ended up using safety wire to ensure it didn't spin while running.

Or it may be a valve adjustment issue?
CarbonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 04:00 PM   #4
OTGs197

Yeah, I'm hip about the gas...constant struggle these days. As far as the main goes, I'm pretty positive it's clear as possible. It just acts like it's "loading up"...very rich, especially with the fuel screw so far in. I did have an epiphany a few minutes ago...the bars were recently replaced, and she hadn't ridden since. Thought maybe the kill switch wasn't grounded well. Took it off completely...no change. It sounds like a 2 stroke...so weird.
Old 01-14-2016, 04:03 PM   #5
OTGs197

The plug was black when I pulled it...very sooty. I do wonder about the valve adjustment, but it honestly can't have more than 15 very low stress hours on it. She went from a KLX110 to this bike, and is still getting her "bike legs" with it. Very non-aggressive rider.
Old 01-14-2016, 04:18 PM   #6
OTGs197

BTW, it does this throughout the throttle travel, until it hits the limiter. Again, you whack it open, it's brilliant. It seriously runs like an injected and blown big block, without the idle surge. It will idle, or go WFO...nothing in between but objection.
Old 01-14-2016, 04:39 PM   #7
djs
biker geek

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
13 Street Triple R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTGs197 View Post
Yeah, I'm hip about the gas...constant struggle these days. As far as the main goes, I'm pretty positive it's clear as possible. It just acts like it's "loading up"...very rich, especially with the fuel screw so far in. I did have an epiphany a few minutes ago...the bars were recently replaced, and she hadn't ridden since. Thought maybe the kill switch wasn't grounded well. Took it off completely...no change. It sounds like a 2 stroke...so weird.
Could the bar replacement have screwed up the throttle cable slack? Disconnect the throttle cables from the throttle and see if it idles any smoother?
djs is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 01-14-2016, 04:48 PM   #8
OTGs197

I have them disconnected, actually.
Old 01-14-2016, 04:57 PM   #9
OTGs197

Trying to upload a video from my phone now...
Old 01-14-2016, 07:09 PM   #10
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Verify everything is assembled correctly.
Check your float height.
Have you changed the gas out in the tank with fresh fuel?

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 01:19 PM   #11
OTGs197

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Verify everything is assembled correctly.
Check your float height.
Have you changed the gas out in the tank with fresh fuel?
Yessir Patrick, been over it several times to make sure it is as it's supposed to be, and I did flush the tank, petcock, and added an inline filter just in case. I did get some intel from the owner that she did have a crash(it hasn't been ridden since) where the bike went into the drink on it's left side. It was not submerged, but the left side was under for a few minutes. Time to go through some stator/exciter tests I reckon... I hate electrical.
Old 01-15-2016, 02:40 PM   #12
Morgan

Bike(s):
05 CRF250x (plated)
06 CRF250x
99 and 01 XR100
12 CRF50
81 CT110

Have you checked the carb vent lines?

Not sure which carb is on that bike but I know the FCRs on mine hate me when anything is clogging those lines.
Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 01-15-2016, 03:06 PM   #13
OTGs197

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan View Post
Have you checked the carb vent lines?

Not sure which carb is on that bike but I know the FCRs on mine hate me when anything is clogging those lines.
Yessir, did that. It was one of my first thoughts as well. It's what it sounds like, honestly. But, they're all clear and pinch free.
Old 01-15-2016, 03:14 PM   #14
Morgan

Bike(s):
05 CRF250x (plated)
06 CRF250x
99 and 01 XR100
12 CRF50
81 CT110

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTGs197 View Post
Yessir, did that. It was one of my first thoughts as well. It's what it sounds like, honestly. But, they're all clear and pinch free.
Well I'm sure you checked for an air leak, too, so I guess electrical is next...not my fave either. Good luck- pls let us know if you find the problem.
Liked this post:
Old 01-15-2016, 04:24 PM   #15
OTGs197

I'm getting a reading of around 30v max out of the exciter coil, and the manual says it should me a minimum of 50v. Maybe...
Old 01-22-2016, 11:23 PM   #16
Morgan

Bike(s):
05 CRF250x (plated)
06 CRF250x
99 and 01 XR100
12 CRF50
81 CT110

Updates?
Old 01-23-2016, 01:21 PM   #17
OTGs197

It ended up being the stator/exciter after all. Runs like it should now. That was fun... Thanks to you all for the words and wisdom, and a huge thank you to . Prayers work!
Old 02-11-2016, 12:53 PM   #18
OTGs197

So, it wasn't the stator after all. It has since gone to a someone smarter than me! I'll post up what their findings are as soon as I know.