MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

View Poll Results: Which would you buy
Black with red, looking good and being practical 11 52.38%
High viz yellow, safety first. 10 47.62%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2016, 12:13 PM   #1
djs
biker geek

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
13 Street Triple R.

High Viz gear vs. "traditional" colors

Getting ready to drop a bundle of cash on some Motoport armored mesh riding gear. The gear is custom built to my measurements and my specifications. I'm having a hard time deciding the color scheme. I ride a 2013 Street Triple R, black with red trim. The black with red trim mesh jacket looks pretty sharp:
AIR MESH JACKET BLK RED  510x487
But from a safety standpoint, it is hard to beat the high viz yellow:
AIR MESH JACKET HIVIZ GRAY 157x157

So I know I have to make my own decision, but I'm really conflicted. So I thought I would open it up to you guys for opinions. This is a big purchase, I hope this to be the last jacket / pants I buy for a decade if their marketing is to be believed.

Reasons to buy black:
  1. Better looking
  2. Matches my current bike
  3. No hotter than the light colors according to manufacturer
  4. Shows less dirt and stains

Reasons to buy high viz yellow:
  1. More visible means safer
  2. Doesn't match any bike so I don't have to worry about matching the next bike
  3. Fades less over time than the black according to manufacturer.

So obviously safety is pretty dang important to me because I am spending a lot for what I think is the safest mesh jacket out there. If it were your money, which would you pick? Slightly less visible but more fashionable or fashion police be damned power ranger suit?
djs is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
man kills goat, high on "bath salts" urbanXJ Off Topic 10 05-12-2011 03:53 PM
"Traditional" clothing in the prefessional workplace, should we allow it urbanXJ Off Topic 17 10-05-2009 01:30 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-12-2016, 12:17 PM   #2
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

In the interest of being honest, they both look lame.

I don't subscribe to the school of thought that someone who wouldn't see you in a black leather jacket would suddenly realize your presence if you were in highlighter yellow.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:23 PM   #3
djs
biker geek

Bike(s):
13 Street Triple R.

Fair enough. Fashion is subjective. I'm mostly sold on Motoport's engineering and materials, there is better looking gear but I believe this is some of the safest mesh gear.

Did a little research and there is some science to the visibility claim. There is a reason a lot of public safety gear is these obnoxious colors. I think the point is to be "unusual" enough that you snap people out of their unconscious, not paying attention, driving.

Of course I could always buy a vest too.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:37 PM   #4
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

If you really want one of their mesh jackets, I'd just go classic black rather than full-on mid-life-crisis black and red
Old 01-12-2016, 12:37 PM   #5
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

I don't ever bother to match gear with bike color scheme. In fact, I'd purposely avoid it. Anyhow, mesh anything is a compromise in protection. "Safest mesh gear" is like jumbo shrimp... even if true, it's more or less a pointless distinction. I wouldn't believe any of those marketing hype. I wear mesh only because it's Houston and half the year it's too hot for leather.

My opinion of the 2 you posted:

Black: makes you look like power ranger

Hi-viz: makes you look like construction crew.

That said. I like Hi viz if it is done right. Shop around. Don't limit yourself just because of some marketing spiel. Consider 3/4 length jacket for mesh. At least you get a bit more coverage and more usable pockets.
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 01-12-2016, 12:48 PM   #6
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Performance over posing
Bevo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 01:24 PM   #7
ZX-Dominance

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2008 FZ1 (wifey)
2007 ZX-6R (track)
2008 Speed Triple White Knight (sold)
2008 CBR1000RR "Red Rocket"
2005 SV1000S (sold)

am I the only one who absolutely blown away at how expensive "Motoport" stuff is?

Can a mesh jacket ?REAALLY? cost $500?

I guess your body is the most valuable thing of all... but if it were my money, I'd be getting something from Dainese or Astars in the SuperSex/Performance category.

Seriously, I can't imagine that for $500 you couldnt get a sexier jacket with 99% or more of the crash benefits claimed by motoport.
ZX-Dominance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 01:59 PM   #8
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-Dominance View Post
am I the only one who absolutely blown away at how expensive "Motoport" stuff is?

Can a mesh jacket ?REAALLY? cost $500?

I guess your body is the most valuable thing of all... but if it were my money, I'd be getting something from Dainese or Astars in the SuperSex/Performance category.

Seriously, I can't imagine that for $500 you couldnt get a sexier jacket with 99% or more of the crash benefits claimed by motoport.
I was going to comment on this but I think the difference is Motoport custom makes it for your exact dimensions. Which I don't personally think is worth it but if I was really short and fat or really tall and thin I'd probably see more usefulness in it
Old 01-12-2016, 03:09 PM   #9
atvmxr

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2001 Vulcan 800
CR125
LT500R
TRX250r
ATC350X

answered the poll with the choice I made buying my helmet and jacket - but Im a relative NOOB to the streets
atvmxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 03:47 PM   #10
ZX-Dominance

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2008 FZ1 (wifey)
2007 ZX-6R (track)
2008 Speed Triple White Knight (sold)
2008 CBR1000RR "Red Rocket"
2005 SV1000S (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repth View Post
I was going to comment on this but I think the difference is Motoport custom makes it for your exact dimensions. Which I don't personally think is worth it but if I was really short and fat or really tall and thin I'd probably see more usefulness in it
Certainly should add some cost... but 5 HUNDRED dollars.. for mesh?

I've used/crashed in fieldsheer mesh jackets and the held up to the slide better than Id expected.

I guess there was an article in a recent cycleworld, with an editor praising his 15 year old aerostitch suit.. and of course then showcasing his new ($1200) aerostitch suit. How much was honest and how much was aero's sponsorship $$? Who knows.

I know I'd be reeeeeeal apprehensive about spending $500 on something that looks like my mom made it. She's quite the seamstress, but I personally prefer the finished look of major brand/contenders.

Here's a bit of background on motoport. From what it sounds like, they are completely separate from either of the "old" companies and the international one. A bit confusing tracing the lineage without details.

Motoport started selling motorcycle apparel in 1965. The company started under the name of Difi. In 1987 Difi started setting up motorcycle apparel companies all over the world under the name of Motoport. For 15 years Motoport was the largest motorcycle apparel company in the world. In 1988 Motoport started in North America. Today Motoport in the USA is a separate private held company selling to riders and motorcycle police all over the world.
ZX-Dominance is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 01-12-2016, 04:55 PM   #11
djs
biker geek

Bike(s):
13 Street Triple R.

I've done my homework and I am convinced their gear is expensive but worth it. I could be wrong I suppose.

Are there good brands of less expensive mesh gear that will probably hold up and do the job in most crashes? Absolutely.

They are expensive. There was a time when I had to make hard decisions about cost / benefit. Heck there was a time when I would check my account before I went to Taco Bell. But I've been lucky and worked hard and I can afford to not compromise if I think it is worth it.

In my opinion based entirely on internet research (and a degree in engineering), their gear is the best money can buy for commuting in the hellacious conditions that are hot, humid, and congested Houston.

I've not placed the order yet, just a deposit. I'm open to any arguments that there is cheaper and better gear.

Heck, one of the more convincing testimonials came from this site.

I've yet to find anyone who bought the gear and declared it not worth it. Of course that could just be confirmation bias in action. If you google it, there are a lot of positive testimonials.

David
Old 01-12-2016, 05:11 PM   #12
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Isn't it Kevlar, my bmw mesh was $400 , but it was Kevlar
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 05:26 PM   #13
djs
biker geek

Bike(s):
13 Street Triple R.

Yep. It is Kevlar mesh
Old 01-12-2016, 05:29 PM   #14
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Bike(s):
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Well there's the answer, I was considering them 5-6 yrs ago
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Old 01-12-2016, 05:38 PM   #15
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:
Originally Posted by djs View Post
I've done my homework and I am convinced their gear is expensive but worth it. I could be wrong I suppose.

Are there good brands of less expensive mesh gear that will probably hold up and do the job in most crashes? Absolutely.

They are expensive. There was a time when I had to make hard decisions about cost / benefit. Heck there was a time when I would check my account before I went to Taco Bell. But I've been lucky and worked hard and I can afford to not compromise if I think it is worth it.

In my opinion based entirely on internet research (and a degree in engineering), their gear is the best money can buy for commuting in the hellacious conditions that are hot, humid, and congested Houston.

I've not placed the order yet, just a deposit. I'm open to any arguments that there is cheaper and better gear.

Heck, one of the more convincing testimonials came from this site.

I've yet to find anyone who bought the gear and declared it not worth it. Of course that could just be confirmation bias in action. If you google it, there are a lot of positive testimonials.

David
To be fair, I can't compromise either. Which is why I went with leather
Old 01-12-2016, 05:53 PM   #16
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Bike(s):
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Moport is like buying Vansons leathers vs Joe rocket leather
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Liked this post:
Old 01-12-2016, 06:32 PM   #17
djs
biker geek

Bike(s):
13 Street Triple R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repth View Post
To be fair, I can't compromise either. Which is why I went with leather
Motoports claims put it superior to leather, but obviously they are somewhat biased.

Either way, if you can wear leather, even perforated, in Houston traffic in August you are badder than I.

David
Old 01-12-2016, 06:44 PM   #18
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Bike(s):
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

I had Vansons pro-perf for 2 summers, rode everyday back then
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Old 01-12-2016, 09:39 PM   #19
Angamico
Range Target

Bike(s):
YZF600R
TigerEX1200

I've commuted daily in motoport jacket and pants I purchased 10 years ago. Only thing that fell apart was the Velcro. The seams just started showing their age this year. Considering my previous mesh gear purchases were throw always every year, my opinion is it was with the $$$.
Angamico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 12:52 AM   #20
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

If you are a good engineer, you should think outside the box for solutions that don't always require spending beaucoup bucks.

I bought a Tech Kewl cooling vest this past year and I rode all through Summer, which I was never able to do before. It isn't the evaporative that don't work in Houston humidity. This stuff is literally like wearing ice-packs inside my jacket. Lasts 1-1/2~3hrs depending on which bike I ride, which is plenty for commuting.

Mesh along doesn't cut it for me. I can sweat a whole bucket and it wouldn't cool me enough.

By all means, buy the $500 custom mesh if you are convinced it's worth it. For me, with the $120 Tech Kewl Phase Change cooling vest, I can wear just about any jacket and still stay comfortably cool in August. Highest I rode in was some 115F over elevated sections of BW8. Still hot as Hades, but my core is kept cool, and by extension the rest of me.

product 32 332 600 800 0 0 product 32 375 600 800 0 0

Last edited by Volfy; 01-13-2016 at 12:56 AM.
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement