MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2016, 01:57 PM   #1
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

Has anyone bought a motorcycle through ebay?

I've been bike shopping for some time, and found myself searching ebay as a way to compare costs from dealers nation wide. (Note, this is a new bike, being purchased from a dealer.)

(numbers below are fudged a bit for simplicity)
I found a bike I liked, with a buy-it-now price of $13,500. The ad indicates that taxes/registration fees will be additional, as they depend on the state you're in. They also list two specific administrative fees they will charge totaling about $250, and require a $250 deposit.

Quote:
TERMS OF SALE OVERVIEW
This vehicle is also for sale on our lot and other advertising sources, we reserve the right to end this listing at anytime should the vehicle no longer be available for sale. The following terms of sale apply to all of our auctions.
Payment Terms:
The successful high bidder will required to submit a $500 non-refundable deposit within 48 hours of the close of the auction to secure the vehicle. Understanding that the vehicle will remain available for purchase until the deposit has been secured. Buyer agrees to pay remaining balance due (plus applicable fees and taxes) within 5 business days of the close of the auction. All financial transactions must be completed before delivery of the vehicle.
Payment Methods:
Cash (in person), certified check, bank transfers, or 3rd-party financing.
Fees and Taxes:
Out of state buyers are responsible for all state, county, city taxes and fees, as well as title/registration fees in the state that the vehicle will be registered.
DISCLAIMER
It is the customer's sole responsibility to verify the existence and condition of any equipment listed. We try our best to thoroughly describe the vehicle and its features, please contact us prior to bidding on the vehicle if you have any questions about the vehicle. We are NOT responsible for misprints on prices or equipment. It is the customer's sole responsibility to verify the accuracy of the prices and equipment with the dealer. Pricing is subject to change without notice.
PAYMENT TYPES:

OUR NATIONWIDE FINANCING, Certified Funds and/or Your Institutional Financing

FEES:

Out of State Buyers
Out of state buyers are not charged vehicle sales tax,title or license for the State of Texas.Our documentation fee is $50.00 and UVC/Admin. fee is $198.97 All sales transactions must be completed within 5 days of auction close.The customer is responsible for registering the vehicle in their home state.

Taxes and Fees
In state buyers will be charged state and local taxes, title, registration, and documentary fees. Our documentation fee is $50.00 and UVC/Admin. fee is $198.97 All sales transactions must be completed within 5 days of auction close.
Note: deposit listed in the ad terms($500) is different from the paypal invoice they sent for the deposit ($250).

The actual invoice I get from the dealership after paying the deposit has the agreed sales price, plus $600 freight, plus $700 setup, plus $125 document fee, plus the regular tax/inspection/registration fees. No mention of their roughly $250 in documentation fees or the $250 deposit I made.

Just wondering if it's worth protesting the roughly $1400 additional that has been tacked on from the sale price. Seems that since they list it as buy-it-now, they should have either explicitly stated that those costs would also be added on, or just included them in the asking price. Thoughts? (I sent Fresnel a PM to see what his thoughts were.)
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ebay motorcycle sale Cortez31 General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 04-04-2015 10:55 AM
What have you bought for your motorcycle lately? ver.OCT 2014 Solracer General Discussion (Moto Related) 44 10-06-2014 03:15 PM
Bought a motorcycle from a person who didnt own it. tunaluna General Discussion (Moto Related) 46 08-24-2013 09:13 AM
Ever bought a car from eBay? Helios Off Topic 15 04-26-2009 03:11 PM
just bought these from ebay. CarbonJames General Discussion (Moto Related) 23 06-17-2005 03:57 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-04-2016, 02:01 PM   #2
flipstyledsm22
Lets go fishing!

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
1994 FLSTC Pro-Street Chopper
1964 Tote Gote
2003 GSXR600 - SOLD
2004 ZX6R - SOLD
1986 VFR750 - SOLD

Send a message via Yahoo to flipstyledsm22
After all the hassles with buying online, you'd probably be better off buying from a dealership. At least you get to take the bike home after all the BS at the dealership vs. waiting a few weeks for it to be delivered to you... not to mention if something happens to it in transit, you might be looking again for another bike... only prolonging the process to get on 2 wheels and have fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
I hate perma bans they are sooo...permanent.
flipstyledsm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 02:05 PM   #3
BYRDMAN
WX MAN

Feedback Rating: (8)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Adventure 1190
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker

Member Garage

yea that sounds shady......which dealer is it. I know of a few dealers outside of TX that sell a lot of bikes on ebay and Ive read a lot of threads where their experiences were great.

You should not have to pay anything outside of ebay for that bike. The deposit should go through ebay....

AMERICAN MADE WITH MEXICAN PARTS
BYRDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 01-04-2016, 02:13 PM   #4
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

The dealership is in Round Rock, and if all goes agreeably I'll drive up with my wife on Saturday, inspect the bike, and ride home.

The other dealerships I've been dealing with on this bike are in New England, but are the largest volume dealers nationwide and have a good reputation. Each told me over the phone that the price listed is the price I'd pay them, I'd pay the shipper to get the bike to me, and registration fees would be paid directly to the state when I register it here. I think there are only 4 dealers listed in Texas in total, and the one in Houston isn't budging on price.

The dealership I have a purchase agreement with is Dream Machines of Austin (Indian dealer, not listed for this particular bike). It may be that he just emailed me their standard sales form; he asked that I look it over and send him any questions I had. I was just wondering if anyone else had messed with this at all. I'm waiting to hear back from him and will post up how it turns out. If it goes well I'll save about $2k over what the local dealer is asking, and honestly, even if they won't budge on the extra $1400 I'm still getting a decent deal.

Last edited by Jae; 01-04-2016 at 02:17 PM.
Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 02:20 PM   #5
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

The email I sent him:
Quote:
Just looking for some clarification. The setup and freight fees were not listed in the ebay auction, nor referenced as fees that would be applicable in addition to the agreed sales price, unlike the sales tax, registration, and documentation fees. I expected that (as has been the case with other dealerships I've worked with through ebay) that the freight/setup/misc. fees that are NOT directly associated with state specific costs would have been included with the "buy-it-now" price. Copied directly from your ad:

Taxes and Fees
In state buyers will be charged state and local taxes, title, registration, and documentary fees. Our documentation fee is $50.00 and UVC/Admin. fee is $198.97 All sales transactions must be completed within 5 days of auction close.

That said, my expectation was to see the price agreed upon through ebay, the sales/registration/tax fees, and some note on the invoice of how the $250.00 deposit I submitted has been applied (if it covers the stated documentation fee of $50. and UVC/Admin. fee of $198.97), as has been my experience dealing with other dealers through ebay. Please advise.
Old 01-04-2016, 02:21 PM   #6
Boxerboy2

Feedback Rating: (0)

You might want to note to yourself that purchasing a motor vehicle on Ebay is NOT a binding contract (real estate is another). So if you think you have been taken advantage of just refuse to complete the transaction.
Boxerboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 01-04-2016, 02:23 PM   #7
Neon Samurai
3090 MotoGP Champion

Bike(s):
2010 Ducati Streetfighter (sold)
2012 Triumph Speed Triple R
2008 Triumph Sprint ST (Sold)
2014 BMW s1000R
2012 Aprilia Tuono (sold)

I bought a bike years ago from a private seller.
Old 01-04-2016, 02:24 PM   #8
BYRDMAN
WX MAN

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Adventure 1190
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker

Member Garage

what kind of bike Jae?

Old 01-04-2016, 03:02 PM   #9
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

Looking at Urals. Not thrilled with the Venture as a tug and don't quite trust myself to fabricate the leading link forks it would need.
Old 01-04-2016, 03:50 PM   #10
brandontx

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F

Think of ebay as a classified ad. Just call the dealer and negotiate a price over the phone. They will end the auction if you buy it.
brandontx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 04:24 PM   #11
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

Guy just got back to me and knocked about $1500 off his original BoS, putting it right where I'd hoped we'd end up. I'm pretty excited now, looks like it will work out well.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:30 PM   #12
Rod
Near Miss Racing Team #96

Bike(s):
R3 2015
TS185 74
EX250R 2010 "A" race bike
EX250R 2008 "B" race bike
150cc Rocketta Scooter "the "

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYRDMAN View Post
You should not have to pay anything outside of ebay for that bike. The deposit should go through ebay....
^^THIS^^

Make sure all transactions are through a secure method via ebay and or PayPal
CMRA#672
Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 04:49 PM   #13
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod View Post
^^THIS^^

Make sure all transactions are through a secure method via ebay and or PayPal
Vehicle purchases are a bit different, especially as I'm financing through my credit union and buying from a dealer. Ebay does have a finance branch now that you can work with, but only the initial deposit is actually handled through paypal or ebay. Due to legal differences in how states handle vehicle and real estate transactions, committing to purchase either through ebay is not legally binding (as someone else pointed out previously).

After talking to the sales guy he said he had just pulled the standard excel sheet they used and plugged in the sales price. When I asked about it he knocked the standard fees off and changed the others to reflect what was in the ad. I'm happy, and certainly won't complain. It would've been a decent deal with the original numbers, it's a pretty good deal in my opinion at $1,500 less.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:08 PM   #14
Stevieboy

Bike(s):
1997 FZR600-Thanks Nick 2015 RC390 2007 R6s 2000 RS50 2009RS125
Three FZR400 all sold
2000 R1 sold
2005 R6 sold
1995 ZX-7 sold

Never bought one from a dealer. Probably because of all the fuzzy math involved. Have bought and sold several to private individuals. Buying sight unseen is risky. I have ended up with as many bad buys as good.
Stevieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 05:20 PM   #15
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae View Post
Looking at Urals. Not thrilled with the Venture as a tug and don't quite trust myself to fabricate the leading link forks it would need.
You were big into Euro bike night, weren't you? It all makes sense now
Old 01-04-2016, 09:01 PM   #16
BYRDMAN
WX MAN

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Adventure 1190
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae View Post
Thats fukin awesome bro!! I wanna be the first sidecar passenger!!

Old 01-04-2016, 09:08 PM   #17
silverslug00

Member Garage

Bought my 2009 HD XR1200 from ebay. Good bike was a hassle paying but I set up the transport from NC was 500 bucks so yeah. The bike was 5500. So a steal.
silverslug00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 01:04 AM   #18
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

Bought plenty of vehicles off ebay, 2 and 4 wheels. Read ALL the fineprint... carefully. Pay your deposit ONLY through paypal. If the seller disagrees with that... bail. You can always file a dispute with Paypal to get your money back. I've had to do that from time to time, not very often. I have prevailed every single time. I am going through 2 right now, unfortunately. None of my ebay disputes were vehicles though. Just stuff purchases.

Anyhow, if it is not specifically spelled out in the original ad, you do not have to pay. If I were you at this point, I would open a case with ebay and get your money back.

NEVER NEVER deal with seller OUTSIDE of ebay/paypal system. BIG NO NO.
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 11:10 AM   #19
JPhilB

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
Ducati 1098
Honda 919
Suzuki GS500E (sold long ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandontx View Post
Think of ebay as a classified ad. Just call the dealer and negotiate a price over the phone. They will end the auction if you buy it.
What he said. Found my Ducati from a dealer in AZ. This was a dealer in classic cars and bikes and he just happened to have exactly what I wanted. I called him and we negotiated on the price. They even handled shipping for $400. Very easy.
JPhilB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 02:50 PM   #20
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevieboy View Post
Never bought one from a dealer. Probably because of all the fuzzy math involved. Have bought and sold several to private individuals. Buying sight unseen is risky. I have ended up with as many bad buys as good.
Well, it's a new bike (14 miles on the odo) from a legitimate dealer, and I verified with Ural before signing the papers that I have the full 3 year factory warranty on it. I'm comfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repth View Post
You were big into Euro bike night, weren't you? It all makes sense now
What, that right after my Triumph catches fire I decide to buy a Russian bike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYRDMAN View Post
Thats fukin awesome bro!! I wanna be the first sidecar passenger!!
You'll have to meet me in Austin Saturday morning then, or else I'm pretty sure that my wife and boys will beat you to it. They're a little excited to have a sidecar again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volfy View Post
Bought plenty of vehicles off ebay, 2 and 4 wheels. Read ALL the fineprint... carefully. Pay your deposit ONLY through paypal. If the seller disagrees with that... bail. You can always file a dispute with Paypal to get your money back. I've had to do that from time to time, not very often. I have prevailed every single time. I am going through 2 right now, unfortunately. None of my ebay disputes were vehicles though. Just stuff purchases.

Anyhow, if it is not specifically spelled out in the original ad, you do not have to pay. If I were you at this point, I would open a case with ebay and get your money back.

NEVER NEVER deal with seller OUTSIDE of ebay/paypal system. BIG NO NO.
a) The original deposit WAS through Paypal, and
b) I emailed the salesman that gave me the original quote. His next correspondance was stating that he used the standard sales Excel spreadsheet that calculated all that other stuff automatically, as it typically applied to dealership sales. He updated it to reflect the price and fees exactly as shown on ebay, which knocked about $1500 off the price. New 2wd Ural out the door (with registration and taxes) for just a hair over $14k.

Advertisement