MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2015, 07:21 PM   #21
albertinhouston
Senior Member
 
albertinhouston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 1,288












I signed it thats it. So to he honest it doesnt state who.i sold it.to, lol.

Annnd!!!!!!
He dropped it on the way home. So i have to see.if there is any damage. Lol

He is 17....has a night job.... and meets people late at night. Nothing about that says minor.

Last edited by albertinhouston; 12-31-2015 at 07:23 PM.
albertinhouston is online now   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
selling bike and what to do Silvertaco General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 04-08-2015 10:27 AM
need some help selling my bike.. Kodak General Discussion (Moto Related) 24 04-19-2013 03:16 PM
Selling my Bike makushr1 How To's and Q & A's 14 02-26-2011 02:16 PM
selling a bike Dgig General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 08-08-2008 01:03 AM
Advertisement
Old 12-31-2015, 07:24 PM   #22
ZaXoS
Senior Member
 
ZaXoS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 397

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
R1100S
GSX-R
VFR 750
Africa Twin (XRV-750)
CB750-k1






Sold without the guardian's consent. You'll lose in court, end of story. (title, no title, parts, whole vehicle....semantics)

No the 17 is interesting because in Texas if you commit a crime at 17 you're entering the adult court system.
__________________

Last edited by ZaXoS; 12-31-2015 at 07:28 PM.
ZaXoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 07:43 PM   #23
albertinhouston
Senior Member
 
albertinhouston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 1,288












Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaXoS View Post
Sold without the guardian's consent. You'll lose in court, end of story. (title, no title, parts, whole vehicle....semantics)

No the 17 is interesting because in Texas if you commit a crime at 17 you're entering the adult court system.
Do you mean bought without consent.

It was a $700 dollar bike its not like it was 5500. So its not a big deal.
albertinhouston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 08:02 PM   #24
ZaXoS
Senior Member
 
ZaXoS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 397

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
R1100S
GSX-R
VFR 750
Africa Twin (XRV-750)
CB750-k1






Exactly,
not worth your time and hassle in and out the court system and your name associate with minors.
__________________
ZaXoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 08:02 PM   #25
Bevo
Hook 'em!
 
Bevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston-The South Loop
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 24,323

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage





You could have sold him a Sony PlayStation with no BOS, it's still a contract that can be undone, voided, cancelled, what ever you want to call it because one party was under 18, or 21 in some states.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
"I lack skillz"
Bevo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 08:31 PM   #26
albertinhouston
Senior Member
 
albertinhouston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 1,288












Im gonna find out when he turns 18 and sell him the bike for $500 just to her off.
albertinhouston is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 12-31-2015, 08:53 PM   #27
Repth
Keyboard Warrior
 
Repth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Austin
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 3,644

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R









Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
You could have sold him a Sony PlayStation with no BOS, it's still a contract that can be undone, voided, cancelled, what ever you want to call it because one party was under 18, or 21 in some states.
I'm not trying to be obtuse but I'm legitimately curious--what's the legal distinction between this and a kid buying a PlayStation at Best Buy?

If I sold it for $700, I'd give them $500 back for it, for the trouble. Best offer. Otherwise em, see you in court. I know if they take me to court I'll wish I had just given the money back but I'd call their bluff on it.
__________________
"I learned long ago never to wrestle with a pig. You end up getting dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
- George Bernard Shaw
Repth is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 01-01-2016, 01:21 AM   #28
holycost
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Manvel
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 107


Bike(s):
2006 Harley Davidson VRSCD Nightrod
2002 Kawasaki ZR7








If its non titled, do both of you have a copy of the bos? If you only have the copy I would play dumb and say you don't know what they are talking about. How will they be able to loom it up if its non titled?
holycost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 05:50 AM   #29
Bevo
Hook 'em!
 
Bevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston-The South Loop
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 24,323

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by Repth View Post
I'm not trying to be obtuse but I'm legitimately curious--what's the legal distinction between this and a kid buying a PlayStation at Best Buy?
There is no distinction. If that 17 year old kid wants to return the PlayStation, Best Buy must accept it and return his money or they could wind up in court if he or the parent sues for a refund. Again, read the thread and check out the links. A sale is a contract (has absolutely nothing to do with a piece of paper). Contracts with minors are not enforceable, in affect, by law a minor is excluded from entering a binding agreement. They get a free pass. They can undo the deal anytime for any reason. In this case it's seller beware.

It is not illegal to sell merchandise to a minor, but legally that minor can undo the sale.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
"I lack skillz"

Last edited by Bevo; 01-01-2016 at 05:53 AM.
Bevo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 05:56 AM   #30
Bevo
Hook 'em!
 
Bevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston-The South Loop
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 24,323

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by holycost View Post
If its non titled, do both of you have a copy of the bos? If you only have the copy I would play dumb and say you don't know what they are talking about. How will they be able to loom it up if its non titled?
It's called testimony. Happens every day. Yeah, the seller can lie in court and say he never owned a bike, doesn't know the kid, etc., but do you want to be that guy that lies in court? Is that the kind of America you want?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
"I lack skillz"
Bevo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 08:14 AM   #31
Stevieboy
Senior Member
 
Stevieboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Woodstock, IL
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 348

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
1997 FZR600-Thanks Nick 2015 RC390 2007 R6s 2000 RS50 2009RS125
Three FZR400 all sold
2000 R1 sold
2005 R6 sold
1995 ZX-7 sold






Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
You were lucky the parents weren't smart enough to take you to court. The law always takes the stance of what's in the best interest of the child, that's why that fuckstick "affluenza" teen Couch didn't go to prison for killing 4 folks while drunk driving.
Maybe I was lucky. It was about thirty years ago though. Back when if your kid was an effing idiot it was your fault and not somebody else's.
Stevieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 08:18 AM   #32
Bevo
Hook 'em!
 
Bevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston-The South Loop
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 24,323

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevieboy View Post
Maybe I was lucky. It was about thirty years ago though. Back when if your kid was an effing idiot it was your fault and not somebody else's.
Even 30 years ago children could not be bound to a contract
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
"I lack skillz"
Bevo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 11:05 AM   #33
Repth
Keyboard Warrior
 
Repth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Austin
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 3,644

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R









Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
There is no distinction. If that 17 year old kid wants to return the PlayStation, Best Buy must accept it and return his money or they could wind up in court if he or the parent sues for a refund. Again, read the thread and check out the links. A sale is a contract (has absolutely nothing to do with a piece of paper). Contracts with minors are not enforceable, in affect, by law a minor is excluded from entering a binding agreement. They get a free pass. They can undo the deal anytime for any reason. In this case it's seller beware.

It is not illegal to sell merchandise to a minor, but legally that minor can undo the sale.
Even if the kid opens up the PlayStation and damages it? They still have to reverse the contract? Because that's what happened here--the kid dropped the bike.
__________________
"I learned long ago never to wrestle with a pig. You end up getting dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
- George Bernard Shaw
Repth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 11:18 AM   #34
Bevo
Hook 'em!
 
Bevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston-The South Loop
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 24,323

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by Repth View Post
Even if the kid opens up the PlayStation and damages it? They still have to reverse the contract? Because that's what happened here--the kid dropped the bike.
Ignorance of the law is no excuse. If you sell to a minor, it's on you, they can back out of the "contract" for any reason because you as the seller should not have entered into an agreement with a minor. I know it doesn't fair, but that's the law. In some states it effects anyone under 21. I'm not justifying it, I'm explaining it.
Quote:
A minor can only enter into a contract for essential items including clothing, shelter and food.
http://www.doityourself.com/stry/leg...car-to-a-minor
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
"I lack skillz"

Last edited by Bevo; 01-01-2016 at 11:21 AM.
Bevo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 11:24 AM   #35
Repth
Keyboard Warrior
 
Repth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Austin
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 3,644

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R









Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
Ignorance of the law is no excuse. If you sell to a minor, it's on you, they can back out of the "contract" for any reason because you as the seller should not have entered into an agreement with a minor. I know it doesn't fair, but that's the law. In some states it effects anyone under 21. I'm not justifying it, I'm explaining it.http://www.doityourself.com/stry/leg...car-to-a-minor
That's doesn't seem like backing out of the contract, though. The contract is no longer able to be backed out of because the goods are no longer in the same condition they originally were in.
__________________
"I learned long ago never to wrestle with a pig. You end up getting dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
- George Bernard Shaw
Repth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 11:29 AM   #36
Bevo
Hook 'em!
 
Bevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston-The South Loop
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 24,323

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by Repth View Post
That's doesn't seem like backing out of the contract, though. The contract is no longer able to be backed out of because the goods are no longer in the same condition they originally were in.
DOES NOT MATTER. YOU CAN NOT LEGALLY ENTER INTO A DEAL, AGREEMENT, CONTRACT WITH A MINOR. PERIOD. END OF STORY. TRY IT YOURSELF AND SEE HOW IT WORKS OUT FOR YOU IF THE CHILD CHANGES HIS MIND AND THE PARENTS TAKE YOU TO COURT.

Ask Fresnel Phan Attorney At Law, MH sponsor, if you don't believe me. You're welcome
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
"I lack skillz"
Bevo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 11:34 AM   #37
Bevo
Hook 'em!
 
Bevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston-The South Loop
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 24,323

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage





Let me put it to you this way, say you loaned a 6 year old your smart phone for 1 hour in exchange for a piece of bubble gum. He ends up shattering the screen. Do you think you can sue him or his parents for replacement? In a contracts case, a minor is a minor, no matter the age.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
"I lack skillz"
Bevo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 11:36 AM   #38
Repth
Keyboard Warrior
 
Repth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Austin
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 3,644

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R









Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
DOES NOT MATTER. YOU CAN NOT LEGALLY ENTER INTO A DEAL, AGREEMENT, CONTRACT WITH A MINOR. PERIOD. END OF STORY. TRY IT YOURSELF AND SEE HOW IT WORKS OUT FOR YOU IF THE CHILD CHANGES HIS MIND AND THE PARENTS TAKE YOU TO COURT.

Ask Fresnel Phan Attorney At Law, MH sponsor, if you don't believe me. You're welcome
Why you gotta be like that? If I can't enter into a contract with a minor then I'd say the minor is liable for the damages he caused to my property. You know, since it was never his to begin with.
__________________
"I learned long ago never to wrestle with a pig. You end up getting dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
- George Bernard Shaw
Repth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 11:40 AM   #39
Bevo
Hook 'em!
 
Bevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston-The South Loop
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 24,323

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by Repth View Post
Why you gotta be like that? If I can't enter into a contract with a minor then I'd say the minor is liable for the damages he caused to my property. You know, since it was never his to begin with.


The law looks at this way. The dumbass is the one that enters into an agreement or contract with a minor. The law will not protect that dumbass and enforce that contract or agreement, just as if I took you to court for not paying me for the 100 kilos of heroin I sold you.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
"I lack skillz"
Bevo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 11:42 AM   #40
Donte
Im The Dreaded One
 
Donte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Tomball, Woodlands, Spring
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 913

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
GS500F




Member Garage





So whats the law on a minor selling to a minor?
__________________
Donte is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:26 PM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy