MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2007, 12:20 AM   #1
Azylum
The Chosen One

Feedback Rating: (23)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 2

considering linux

i have a computer thats rather dated. ive heard that linux doesnt require an awful lot of power to run, so i was considering installing it just to tinker with. but i have some questions: i assume its compatible with the hardware i have now? will my files be able to be read? will it work on my network when the other computers are windows? is it compatible with windows software? i know nothing about any OS other than windows. the hardware on this pc is 1.7ghz processor, half gig ram (sd, not ddr), 64mb video card, 5.1 sound blaster.

oh, and anyone know where i can get it for FREE?
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Would like to learn about Linux Grimace Off Topic 27 09-26-2011 08:23 AM
$50 for Linux network help bioGuru Off Topic 5 09-10-2010 06:02 PM
Linux golf games Phydeaux Off Topic 3 04-14-2009 09:27 AM
Linux help Phydeaux Off Topic 7 12-22-2008 05:40 PM
Linux Twitch Off Topic 11 07-01-2008 09:14 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-16-2007, 01:05 AM   #2
DLunsford21
Go Fast Or Go Home

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
06 Yamaha 600r -STOLEN-

Send a message via AIM to DLunsford21
i have a copy layin around somewhere. You can have linux and windows on one computer, carefull when installing though cause it can and will wipe your hard drive and you'll only have linux. windows software won't work on linux. I doubt it will bother with the networking ? but im not sure. Just to tinker with i'd sugest a comp your not usin anymore and just have linux on there. just my .02

R.I.P. Brother, You'll Forever Be Apart Of Us All
DLunsford21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 01:11 AM   #3
josh302

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
shotgun
rifle
4wd

linux is free, just download an image, burn a cd with your windows computer
Old 07-16-2007, 03:38 AM   #4
ownage
Banned

User is banned

ownage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 05:31 AM   #5
soap4life
Reverend

Bike(s):
z1000

Send a message via AIM to soap4life
pclinxuos.com my friend. if your hard drive is partitioned yes, you can dual boot. and your linux can read your ntfs files. but not the other way around.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:32 AM   #6
soap4life
Reverend

Bike(s):
z1000

Send a message via AIM to soap4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLunsford21
i have a copy layin around somewhere. You can have linux and windows on one computer, carefull when installing though cause it can and will wipe your hard drive and you'll only have linux. windows software won't work on linux. I doubt it will bother with the networking ? but im not sure. Just to tinker with i'd sugest a comp your not usin anymore and just have linux on there. just my .02
wine FTW
Old 07-16-2007, 06:41 AM   #7
ArturoC
51% Geek, 49% SuperHero

Bike(s):
'99 GSXR600
'04 NSR 50
'09 Yamaha WR250X
'07 Triumph 675

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to ArturoC Send a message via AIM to ArturoC Send a message via Yahoo to ArturoC Send a message via Skype™ to ArturoC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownage
http://distrowatch.com/

i recommend getting mandrake for your first time...the first time i used linux was in 99' and that was slackware...

Does Mandrake even exist anymore? I thought I remember them changing their name to Mandriva years ago.

http://www.ubuntu.com/ has become wildly popular for newbs and old hats like me. I've tinkered with it and am considering making a switch to it. I know a few long time windows hold outs that didn't want to convert and finally switched, or at least dual boot longer than 2 weeks by using Ubuntu.
CMRA [Prov Nov]ice #404
Sponsors: D&D - GoPro - Amsoil
ArturoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 09:09 PM   #8
Azylum
The Chosen One

i dont want to dual boot. i just want a linux machine. if i dont like it, i can always wipe it out and reinstall windows. so whats the difference between linux/mandrake/ubuntu? and since windows software wont work, why WOULD someone go to linux, since 99.99999999999 (to the 10000th power) of software available is written for windows? the reason i ask is ill need drivers for my GFORCE and my soundblaster.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:20 PM   #9
ArturoC
51% Geek, 49% SuperHero

Bike(s):
'99 GSXR600
'04 NSR 50
'09 Yamaha WR250X
'07 Triumph 675

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to ArturoC Send a message via AIM to ArturoC Send a message via Yahoo to ArturoC Send a message via Skype™ to ArturoC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azylum
i dont want to dual boot. i just want a linux machine. if i dont like it, i can always wipe it out and reinstall windows. so whats the difference between linux/mandrake/ubuntu? and since windows software wont work, why WOULD someone go to linux, since 99.99999999999 (to the 10000th power) of software available is written for windows? the reason i ask is ill need drivers for my GFORCE and my soundblaster.

Linux is just a kernel. It's packaged together with some free software and then distributed as an OS. It's free, but anybody can throw together a distribution OS and sell or give it away (with some restrictions) Ubuntu, Redhat, Suse are all companies that create their own distribution (linux package)

There really is no compelling reason for the average windows user to switch to Linux. If you have Apps, Games etc that you have already bought and ONLY run on Linux, then you can try Wine to get it to run under Linux. It may or may not work and it can be tedious to configure.

If you are just an internet surfer and don't feel like paying for endless expensive windows upgrades, Linux is a good alternative.

There are some apps available on Linux that are similar, or work-alikes to their windows counter parts. Some people like them, some people hate them.

For example, The Gimp (http://www.gimp.org) is a photo manipulation program that is photoshop-like. There are office apps etc.

I never help somebody setup linux if they are only going to dual boot. You have to commit to learn it. :laughing6

Linux was my daily OS for 10+ years until I switched to OSX (MAC) about a year ago. I still have my Linux box though. :icon_bigg

Nvidia drivers are available with all/most Linux distros. They usually come with a standard non-3d accelerated driver, but provide a way to download the official 3d-accelerated driver from nvidia.

There is a kernel driver for you sound card too.

What network card do you have?

Either way, I'd suggest downloading/burning and installing Ubuntu. I've only tinkered with it, but I think it's great for newbs.
CMRA [Prov Nov]ice #404
Old 07-16-2007, 09:22 PM   #10
Mr. Unassailable
1-20-2013-Change we need

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Member Garage

i used to run linux on one of my old xboxs... it was ok.. i like windows better.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:27 PM   #11
Azylum
The Chosen One

i just want to try something new. this bug hit me the other day. id like to buy a mac eventually when i get the extra cash. i havent messed with an apple since the old apple IIe, lol.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:33 PM   #12
ArturoC
51% Geek, 49% SuperHero

Bike(s):
'99 GSXR600
'04 NSR 50
'09 Yamaha WR250X
'07 Triumph 675

Member Garage

Quote:
i just want to try something new. this bug hit me the other day. id like to buy a mac eventually when i get the extra cash. i havent messed with an apple since the old apple IIe, lol.

haha, Applie IIe FTW! I had no interest in macs up through OS9. Once OSX came out, I tried it when my cousin bought one and liked it. The great thing (for me anyway) is that OSX is built on top of BSD Unix, so I still have most of the same command line tools and functionality that I used with Linux. OSX is a great compromise for me.

I bought a mac-mini (600) and used my existing KB, mouse, monitor to really get a feel for it. I love it so now I have my heart set on a 17" MacBook Pro, but at 2799, it may be a while. :laughing6
CMRA [Prov Nov]ice #404
Old 07-16-2007, 09:39 PM   #13
josh302

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
shotgun
rifle
4wd

Quote:
download knoppix v5.11, make a cd.(I have one with me now, I'm om the north sideif you cand download it.)

Knoppix boots, and runs from cd only, and ram, uses no hd, doesnt hurt windows. Boot it, run it, play with it, see how you like it. Boots in about 45 seconds, also a good tool for recovering crashed windows computers, password reset, steeling files without leaving a trace.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:41 PM   #14
Azylum
The Chosen One

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh302
download knoppix v5.11, make a cd.(I have one with me now, I'm om the north sideif you cand download it.)

Knoppix boots, and runs from cd only, and ram, uses no hd, doesnt hurt windows. Boot it, run it, play with it, see how you like it. Boots in about 45 seconds, also a good tool for recovering crashed windows computers, password reset, steeling files without leaving a trace.

ooooh . gotta get that one fo sho.:icon_bigg
Old 07-16-2007, 10:46 PM   #15
Paradox

Bike(s):
VT750, CRF450R (For Sale)

Come to the dark side young one.
Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement