MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2015, 11:36 AM   #21
Rttoys
Insurance poor

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
99 Ducati 996s
07 Yamaha FZ1
14 Yamaha TW200
13 Kawasaki 300se
08 Ducati Hypermotard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
Nice! I bet that's exciting! What bike?
Exciting, stressful, scared to death, anxiety, tiring, bad- and a few more all wrapped in one week. It's very hard to describe, but it's like nothing I have ever done before.

It's (technically) a '69 Triumph Bonneville. About the only thing Triumph is the engine/trans, all else is custom. Mark Shim (Bluepine) is our pilot.

We took 1st (and 3rd on a Yamaha XS650) last year on the old bike and 2nd this year on a new bike, while having a mechanical failure on race day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02388.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	90077   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03598.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	90078  
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Pike Peak experience 244 General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 08-18-2012 02:01 PM
Pics of my completed Pike's Peak racebike civicious Taking it to the Track 6 01-07-2012 08:25 PM
Help Send Wil To The Peak!! Pike's Peak International Hill Climb 2012 civicious General Discussion (Moto Related) 17 11-21-2011 10:45 AM
Electric Bikes and Pikes Peak grsa General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 03-31-2011 12:02 PM
Advertisement
Old 12-24-2015, 11:41 AM   #22
Rttoys
Insurance poor

Bike(s):
99 Ducati 996s
07 Yamaha FZ1
14 Yamaha TW200
13 Kawasaki 300se
08 Ducati Hypermotard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinball View Post
I seem to remember Goodin putting MX bars on his Daytona. It stuck out to me because I thought it was pretty cool and reminded me of the motorcycle gymkhana guys.
Just a note:

Looking through pics from last year and this year, there were a few guys that had either risers on their clip-ons or one piece bars adapted to their sport bikes.
Old 12-24-2015, 07:44 PM   #23
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rttoys View Post
Exciting, stressful, scared to death, anxiety, tiring, bad- and a few more all wrapped in one week. It's very hard to describe, but it's like nothing I have ever done before.

It's (technically) a '69 Triumph Bonneville. About the only thing Triumph is the engine/trans, all else is custom. Mark Shim (Bluepine) is our pilot.

We took 1st (and 3rd on a Yamaha XS650) last year on the old bike and 2nd this year on a new bike, while having a mechanical failure on race day.
Love the old bikes!
Good job! Where is the XS650 now? (I'd love to see a pic or 2)
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 07:59 PM   #24
Rttoys
Insurance poor

Bike(s):
99 Ducati 996s
07 Yamaha FZ1
14 Yamaha TW200
13 Kawasaki 300se
08 Ducati Hypermotard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
Love the old bikes!
Good job! Where is the XS650 now? (I'd love to see a pic or 2)
Here ya go. All the bikes can be seen at Cycle Sports off Clay rd
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	90079  
Rttoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 08:03 PM   #25
Rttoys
Insurance poor

Bike(s):
99 Ducati 996s
07 Yamaha FZ1
14 Yamaha TW200
13 Kawasaki 300se
08 Ducati Hypermotard

Another
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	90080  
Attached Images

Last edited by Rttoys; 12-24-2015 at 08:05 PM.
Old 12-24-2015, 08:06 PM   #26
Rttoys
Insurance poor

Bike(s):
99 Ducati 996s
07 Yamaha FZ1
14 Yamaha TW200
13 Kawasaki 300se
08 Ducati Hypermotard

Sometimes phones sucks. Lol
Old 12-24-2015, 08:40 PM   #27
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Quote:
Sometimes phones sucks. Lol
Ha ha yes they can!
That's a beautiful 650! Wish mine liked that good!
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 03:04 AM   #28
kenup283

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
01 Bandit 1200

Member Garage

Rttoys nice pics and thanks for the information. The bigger issue I read in there is making the race an invitational and capping the entries to 33 bikes.

That will be a far more limiting factor to your plans than a rule on the type of machine.

I suspect that since completing the paving of the road the whole way up in 2012 the popularity of the event has been soaring and the number of entries would have done the same. Most probably amoungst bikes and predominantly in the newly formed sportbike category.

They briefly mention the challenges of managing the large number of entries and getting them practice runs in limited time, so this retraction in their highest growth area is probably just a form of crowd control and managing the number of entries.

Making it an invitation basis further supports this and is going to be the more long lasting impact.. Funny that it's hardly mentioned in the release.

As far as the rule itself, I believe they have a point but it's more about drivability of the bikes.

Flat bar types beign better suited with broader more predictable torque curves than superbikes. This will also be helpful as riders soon would have to begin to manage deteriorating asphalt making parts in the upper sections more unpredictable and close to loose gravel as years go by.

The only clarification I hope they make is to exclude electric bikes from the clip on ban.

Electrics are a fast growing segment of pikes peak and for good reason. They don't suffer altitude sickness and have the torque and smooth response ideal for the climb. This is perfectly suited to them and I'd like to see that segment continue to grow and develop unabated to showcase these bikes in competion.
Old 12-27-2015, 11:25 AM   #29
Rttoys
Insurance poor

Bike(s):
99 Ducati 996s
07 Yamaha FZ1
14 Yamaha TW200
13 Kawasaki 300se
08 Ducati Hypermotard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenup283 View Post
The bigger issue I read in there is making the race an invitational and capping the entries to 33 bikes.

That will be a far more limiting factor to your plans than a rule on the type of machine.

I suspect that since completing the paving of the road the whole way up in 2012 the popularity of the event has been soaring and the number of entries would have done the same. Most probably amoungst bikes and predominantly in the newly formed sportbike category.

They briefly mention the challenges of managing the large number of entries and getting them practice runs in limited time, so this retraction in their highest growth area is probably just a form of crowd control and managing the number of entries.

Making it an invitation basis further supports this and is going to be the more long lasting impact.. Funny that it's hardly mentioned in the release.

Ok let's go here for a sec. And this is going to be good.

Only allowing 33 bike/quad/sidecar entires next year is cutting our field in half. We had 67? Compete this year, with similar numbers the last few years. The cars had 70? Compete This year and they are being cut to 67 next year........not much change for them. Plus, from what I have read, 100 (33 bike/ 67 car) entries, may go up a little, if need be. I'll stop comment right there.

Let's move to invitation only:
It has basically always been this way anyways. You have always had to submit your money, bike info, pictures and racing credentials. All bike racers must have some sort of racing license and be a member of the AMA (new requirement as of a few years ago, because like the rest of the commercializations of this race, they are a sponsor). The thing is, as far as I know, no one ever really got rejected from racing. The problem that I think will pop up now is, some of the outspoken ones over all these changes, may get rejected out of spite or they will just let veterans in or restrict a rookie from competing in a bigger bike class and such. I'm not sure how this will all play out. If they are only wanting veterans to compete, the 2 racers that died, were long time veterans to this race.

Now let's talk practice time:
The track is broken up into 3 sections.
Section 1 is the start line to Glenn's Cove (brake check station if you have ever gone up the mountain).
Section 2 is Glenn's Cove to the observation area at the Devils Playground.
Section 3 is observation area to the summit.

Normally, the bikes practice section 3 on Tuesday, then 2 on wed, 3 on Thursday and then 1 on Friday, which is also qualifying day.

Section 3 is normally freezing (30 last year, 32 this year) and you are above 10000' so doesn't want to run anyways. Meaning, not a lot of practicing goes on here.

Section 2, you are hitting the "W"s and climbing a lot, so it's a very slow section.

Section 1, you want as many runs as possible, best run is your qualifying time, which determines your running position. Very fast section.

This year, due to mass amounts of snow and ice on the road in sec 3, they decided to run the motorcycles 1, 2, 3, 1 qualifying.

Day (and section) 1 and 2 were basically normal. Day/section 3 was normal at first, then Carl went off, shutting down our practice early.

On day 4, section 1-qualifying, although the mood was very somber, we had a job to do and needed to get it done. We didn't get for time for qualifying this year, though, because the officials let a sheikh (yes a fuckn oil tycoon sheikh) run his Porche up and down section 1 when we are trying to qualify. that happened to be in town and heard about the race, must have paid off a bunch of people to run his car on the road during our qualifying day. We barely got 4 runs in on qualifying day. I have no idea how that mother made it off the mountain alive. Every one of us was ready to kill him and set his car on fire.

Rant off for now.
Old 12-27-2015, 11:37 AM   #30
Rttoys
Insurance poor

Bike(s):
99 Ducati 996s
07 Yamaha FZ1
14 Yamaha TW200
13 Kawasaki 300se
08 Ducati Hypermotard

Quote:

The only clarification I hope they make is to exclude electric bikes from the clip on ban.

Electrics are a fast growing segment of pikes peak and for good reason. They don't suffer altitude sickness and have the torque and smooth response ideal for the climb. This is perfectly suited to them and I'd like to see that segment continue to grow and develop unabated to showcase these bikes in competion.
Without racing, technology can't advance the way it does. The electrics have already set the record and are advancing quickly, every year. They are the best fit for the mountain because they never loose power and are really not restricted to rpm. I feel in a few years, the technology is going to catch up and we will have, not only a of a race bike, but also, a very street able, long battery life bike on the road.

Not to mention, the Japanese team brings some nice ladies with them
Old 12-27-2015, 04:23 PM   #31
A_G

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
fz8
chinese dirtbike
87 Yamaha venture Royale (Destroyed)

I talked to the electric guys on facebook. I thought zero was the only one eligible this year due to rules. But it looks like guys with the owl (sorry can't remember the name) are running what looks like a klr type of bike.

#405 Cody steggel is out for sure.

And the sikh yea came down while bikes where taking off. It was pretty irritating

I know that carl's family is irritated at the reasoning for the rule change
A_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 06:03 PM   #32
Rttoys
Insurance poor

Bike(s):
99 Ducati 996s
07 Yamaha FZ1
14 Yamaha TW200
13 Kawasaki 300se
08 Ducati Hypermotard

Brutus was the electric bike guys. good people too, to add.

Man, Cody gave it everything he had. I'm glad we helped him out on those forks and brakes to get him to race day. He has the heart the mountain needs.

Carl and Bobby family's have both made comments on how up the rule change is. Man, the more this whole thing comes up, the more I get .

Last edited by Rttoys; 12-27-2015 at 06:05 PM.
Old 12-27-2015, 09:55 PM   #33
Deano3090
Dino Racing

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2012 YZF-R1 - (Race)
2009 GSXR 750 - (Race)
2007 GSXR 750 - (Race)
2003 CRF450 Motard (Race)
2005 CRF100 Motard (Race)

Sucks they did this rule change so late. The bike I was building for this event will not be allowed.... And with the field being cut to 33 riders made my chances of being picked as a rookie very unlikely as well.

Hopefully the 33 rider / 67 car cap is just something special for the 100 year.

Have to build a motard for next years race.
www.SCRaceCenter.com - www.P-1Race.com - www.DNPAmericas.com - www.GoPro.com
www.amsoil.com - www.racerglovesusa.com - www.VPRacingFuels.com - www.SidiSport.com
Deano3090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 12:03 AM   #34
TheMagicMan
SBN Mechanic

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
'97-DR650 '01-RC51 '03-XR250R '83-XR80R '93-XR80R '03-XR50

Quote:
On day 4, section 1-qualifying, although the mood was very somber, we had a job to do and needed to get it done. We didn't get for time for qualifying this year, though, because the officials let a sheikh (yes a fuckn oil tycoon sheikh) run his Porche up and down section 1 when we are trying to qualify. that happened to be in town and heard about the race, must have paid off a bunch of people to run his car on the road during our qualifying day. We barely got 4 runs in on qualifying day. I have no idea how that mother made it off the mountain alive. Every one of us was ready to kill him and set his car on fire.

Rant off for now.
Took everything I had not to key that suv that was parked next to the start line. Lol.
TheMagicMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 11:53 AM   #35
atvmxr

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2001 Vulcan 800
CR125
LT500R
TRX250r
ATC350X

If they hadn't paved the darn road this wouldn't even be an issue
atvmxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 05:08 PM   #36
Rttoys
Insurance poor

Bike(s):
99 Ducati 996s
07 Yamaha FZ1
14 Yamaha TW200
13 Kawasaki 300se
08 Ducati Hypermotard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano3090 View Post
Sucks they did this rule change so late. The bike I was building for this event will not be allowed.... And with the field being cut to 33 riders made my chances of being picked as a rookie very unlikely as well.

Hopefully the 33 rider / 67 car cap is just something special for the 100 year.

Have to build a motard for next years race.
If you need help or have questions about PP, feel free to ask. The PPIHC is no joke and until you have done it, you have no idea what you are in for. I'm hoping to return in '17 or '18 (if they still allow bikes).

I'm pretty sure I know who you are. I think you have been one of my instructors at RideSmart and I think you are friends with Kris too? Speaking of Kris, I need to get ahold of him and she what his plans are, now that his bike is banned too. :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMagicMan View Post
Took everything I had not to key that suv that was parked next to the start line. Lol.
I hear ya man, I hear ya.

What class do you run?

Quote:
Originally Posted by atvmxr View Post
If they hadn't paved the darn road this wouldn't even be an issue
Correct. But it was not PPIHC that made the choice to pave it, they just use what is there. As the road progressed over the years, the PPIHC did too. Unfortunately, when it got entirely paved, the sport progressed faster than the safety. The sad part is, other than total ban, there is not much more they can do to make it more safe. Well, I guess paving the finish line would be a start.
Old 12-31-2015, 03:43 AM   #37
kenup283

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
01 Bandit 1200

Member Garage

Quote:
Correct. But it was not PPIHC that made the choice to pave it, they just use what is there. As the road progressed over the years, the PPIHC did too. Unfortunately, when it got entirely paved, the sport progressed faster than the safety. The sad part is, other than total ban, there is not much more they can do to make it more safe. Well, I guess paving the finish line would be a start.
Or just move the finish line...

There is no need to run it all the way up to the top. Just use the road you have and bring the finish a thousand feet short of the end of pavement. I'd add in one of those trailer mounted speed detectors that flashes if your going over 40mph to give some refernce for the riders as well. Also some crowd control to keep any onlookers from being in wrong place at wrong time.

The timeline in your first post shows safety was always an issue for bikes back when gravel was most of the track, and as you say they use to switch from pavement to gravel during the race anyway, so without any further info I would not expect that to be the main reason...but a contributing factor that can be eliminated.

That all said here is an intersting show from Guy Martin, of Roadracing fame, run at pikes peak. It's a good watch.

Here is the vid of his run. At 12:35 into the vid can see the finish and how much room they left it short of the end of the asphalt. Not much margin for anything to go wrong but better than nothing.

Last edited by kenup283; 12-31-2015 at 03:47 AM.
kenup283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 08:56 AM   #38
Rttoys
Insurance poor

Bike(s):
99 Ducati 996s
07 Yamaha FZ1
14 Yamaha TW200
13 Kawasaki 300se
08 Ducati Hypermotard

Quote:
Or just move the finish line...

There is no need to run it all the way up to the top. Just use the road you have and bring the finish a thousand feet short of the end of pavement. I'd add in one of those trailer mounted speed detectors that flashes if your going over 40mph to give some refernce for the riders as well. Also some crowd control to keep any onlookers from being in wrong place at wrong time.

The timeline in your first post shows safety was always an issue for bikes back when gravel was most of the track, and as you say they use to switch from pavement to gravel during the race anyway, so without any further info I would not expect that to be the main reason...but a contributing factor that can be eliminated.

That all said here is an intersting show from Guy Martin, of Roadracing fame, run at pikes peak. It's a good watch.
]
They could move the finish line back a tad, but you would make the purest head's explode even more with doing that. Now a signal to shut down could really help, but even an extra 50-100 yards paved, I don't think would take away from the natural look of the mountain top, but still give that extra space to shut down.

They started spectator control last year and got heavy into it this year. There are now designated spectator areas with fencing up so you can't get near the road. This is great for safety, but they off a bunch of people that will never be back to watch the race again, that have been coming for years. :(

They have also added a metric ton of hay bales on the 'dangerous' turns like Engineer's Corner. Although this is a great thing........it also invited the wildlife to partake in a yummy feast on the race track.

When it was a combination of paved and gravel, you were really limited on what you could/wanted to ride up the mountain. Although you needed something that was good on pavement, you really set up for the gravel areas. You needed an upright bike with soft suspension for the dirt, but not too soft for the street parts, this included using dual purpose tires. Because of this, almost all of the riders came from a dirt track background, not like the current field that is from a road race background. Things were just slower then.

Ahh, Guy Martin. He's an incredibly nice guy, but his film crew were dicks. We (just about everyone on our team) are on that video.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC02507.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	90137   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02538.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	158.8 KB
ID:	90138  

Advertisement