MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2007, 10:01 AM   #41
dhdrider

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
08 KTM 300 XC-W

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWidow
here's a small video clip of how we were taking the Horse Shoe (most dangers section of the track).

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...42932829197290
Not sure about that. I think it's one of the safer parts of the track. I would consider turns 4 & 8/9 (by the old tire wall) to be more dangerous. You're going much faster here and a mistake can cause bad crashes. A crash in the horeshoe is typically a non-event due to the slow speeds. Usually lowsides there. Now the left hander after the horeshoe is high-side city and that can be a pretty bad turn if you're too ham-fisted w/ the throttle, same goes for 15 exiting onto the straight. Also, The worst injury I've seen was from a crash at a trackday was in turn 1 in the advanced group. A crash at that high rate of speed is what I call dangerous.

My comments for Robert95z would be to not even think about what time you are running. I know you said you were just curioius, but the A group is the only group that I would even say you'll see a benchmark of lap times that you need to get to in order to ride safely for yourself and more importantly for the saftey of the others on the track. Groups C & B is all about familiarity w/ the experience, good lines, improving form, throttle control, braking, etc. The lap times in C & B are so broad that it is very difficult to pin them down.

2008 KTM 200 XC

Klim Technical Riding Gear
Maine Root Handcrafted Beverages
Retail Resource Group
Primus Real Estate Services
TORCS #301
TSCEC #1114
dhdrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Intermediate lap times for TWS (Texas World Speedway) agentorange Taking it to the Track 28 07-05-2011 09:38 AM
TWS (Texas World Speedway) Ride Smart Level 2 lap times.. Silent636 Ridesmart Motorcycle School 35 02-10-2010 04:42 PM
TWS (Texas World Speedway) Lap Times - An excersise in telling me how much I stink! Timme' Taking it to the Track 30 08-17-2009 05:19 PM
MSR-Cresson Lap Times - Track Day Times cdill35 Taking it to the Track 28 11-11-2008 04:30 PM
I need your lap times from TWS (Texas World Speedway)!!! mammothmc Taking it to the Track 49 09-16-2006 10:22 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-16-2007, 10:08 AM   #42
FLYIN'DUC

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
07 Ducati, 99 Busa

Last track day I did at TWS (Texas World Speedway) was on the busa in 04 and I think I was running low 3.50s
FLYIN'DUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 10:33 AM   #43
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdrider
Not sure about that. I think it's one of the safer parts of the track. I would consider turns 4 & 8/9 (by the old tire wall) to be more dangerous. You're going much faster here and a mistake can cause bad crashes. A crash in the horseshoe is typically a non-event due to the slow speeds. Usually lowsides there. Now the left hander after the horseshoe is high-side city and that can be a pretty bad turn if you're too ham-fisted w/ the throttle, same goes for 15 exiting onto the straight. Also, The worst injury I've seen was from a crash at a trackday was in turn 1 in the advanced group. A crash at that high rate of speed is what I call dangerous.

My comments for Robert95z would be to not even think about what time you are running. I know you said you were just curioius, but the A group is the only group that I would even say you'll see a benchmark of lap times that you need to get to in order to ride safely for yourself and more importantly for the saftey of the others on the track. Groups C & B is all about familiarity w/ the experience, good lines, improving form, throttle control, braking, etc. The lap times in C & B are so broad that it is very difficult to pin them down.

+1, the carousel / horseshoe is probably the safest place at TWS (Texas World Speedway) to go down.
The worst would have to be 1&2, because of the speed and the culvert not far off the track, followed by 8a (9 for you young guys).

dhdrider has some good advice; Until you've got a few track days under your belt, don't worry about lap times. Concentrate more on just learning the track and being smooth.
After you've been in B group a while, you may want to start tracking your laptimes, not necessarily to try to start beating them, but to be as consistent as you can.

Once you get consistent, you can work on shaving seconds.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 10:35 AM   #44
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdrider
Groups C & B is all about familiarity w/ the experience, good lines, improving form, throttle control, braking, etc. The lap times in C & B are so broad that it is very difficult to pin them down.
You learn a lot when you cornerwork. It is very interesting to see the different levels of riding. I love to cornerwork Fridays on a CMRA weekend because you get to see the B streetgroup, the Novice Riders and then the Experts.
You can tell just by their style of riding what group is out.
The Experts are supersmooth and everything looks very easy. I am sure it takes lots and lots of experience to be in this group and ride some awesome times.
The B group has a lot of jerky braking coming into a turn, their lines are off, they are not as smooth through the turn.

I would say, look at riding at your experience level first and be smooth at it, don't worry about times until you are interested in racing :icon_bigg
Old 07-16-2007, 10:48 AM   #45
FLYIN'DUC

Bike(s):
07 Ducati, 99 Busa

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYIN'DUC
Last track day I did at TWS (Texas World Speedway) was on the busa in 04 and I think I was running low 3.50s
I hope to get in the 3.40s with the 1098 Remember "slow is smooth and smooth is fast"
Old 07-16-2007, 10:59 AM   #46
Tango1300
Banned

Bike(s):
2005'ish HayaBOOsah

Cool User is banned

Tango1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 11:12 AM   #47
FLYIN'DUC

Bike(s):
07 Ducati, 99 Busa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango1300
Is that why you are bald...????

My best times at TWS (Texas World Speedway) are in a cage... 1:51.2 Long course/1:14.6 short course
Hi speed Low drag, BALD My mother was BALD,

Twice a week by my father.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:18 PM   #48
level5
moving chicane

DH and Patrick is right, don't worry about your lap times. Go out there work on your line and forms, be smooth. If you are passing riders then you are on your way up the rank but if you are being passed, you need to demote yourself or pick up the pace. Practice makes perfect. Ride to your ability or where you are comfortable. Don't let other pushed you, easy to say hard to do. When you are fast enough to pass many riders or not many pass you then you are ready to time yourself.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 12:43 PM   #49
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

Quote:
Originally Posted by level5
When you are fast enough to pass many riders or not many pass you then you are ready to time yourself.
And not just on the straights after they had just past you in a turn.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:46 PM   #50
jimmy"zx6
Banned

Bike(s):
2005 kawasaki 636,2004 zx10r

User is banned

jimmy"zx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 12:48 PM   #51
jimmy"zx6
Banned

Bike(s):
2005 kawasaki 636,2004 zx10r

User is banned

jimmy"zx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 12:49 PM   #52
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy"zx6
i notice in your picture you are not looking trough the turn you looking in front of you and thats a no no:icon_bigg
It was a noob trackday and I got LOTS to learn! :icon_smil
Old 07-16-2007, 12:57 PM   #53
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy"zx6
i notice in your picture you are not looking trough the turn you looking in front of you and thats a no no:icon_bigg
I do this all the time with photographer and corner workers. I always get fixated when I see them in a corner. I look to see if they are waving any flags and sometimes I get confused the photographer with rider down in some corners.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement