MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2015, 02:02 PM   #1
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

Electrical fire

So had a scary incident on my way into work yesterday, kinda curious if anyone else has ever experienced anything like this...

My battery has been getting a little weak and not wanting to start when it's cold, so I put her in the garage on a battery tender overnight, Tuesday morning she starts right up. Ride about an hour into work, shut it off in the parking garage, and all of a sudden I'm smelling that ozone/burning electronics smell. Start looking around and my voltage regulator is glowing a bit on the epoxy side. Work on getting it off the bike and it's just smoking more and more. Luckily I spotted a garage worker and flagged him to grab a fire extinguisher and screwdriver. Used the extinguisher to put out the open flame once the epoxy got hot enough to burn, and was able to get the battery disconnected. Sure enough, with the battery disconnected the voltage regulator immediately starts cooling off and it appears so far that there's no other damage. Nothing like an open flame under a plastic tank full of gas to get your heart rate up in the morning.

So, any ideas what happened? My best guesses are that either the battery developed an internal short and/or maybe a diode went bad on the voltage regulator? I dunno, it's weird as that electricity was feeding back through the charging circuit with the bike off, and the last thing I want to do is start bolting up new parts only to have it happen again.
Old 12-10-2015, 03:50 PM   #2
SuperDave392
If ur not 1st, ur last..

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
450X Grom WR450

Sounds to me like the battery was over charged. Glad nothing too crazy happened!
SuperDave392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 03:51 PM   #3
bdmpastx
The Cripple

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2009 Nissan GTR - sold
2015 Nissan GTR

If it is a Honda I would say the regulator went. Suzuki as well on certain years. But Honda's love killing voltage regulators.
Old 12-10-2015, 03:57 PM   #4
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2006 SV650S(sold)(happy now?)
Toes Ducati Multistrada(what now buck?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae View Post
So had a scary incident on my way into work yesterday, kinda curious if anyone else has ever experienced anything like this...

My battery has been getting a little weak and not wanting to start when it's cold, so I put her in the garage on a battery tender overnight, Tuesday morning she starts right up. Ride about an hour into work, shut it off in the parking garage, and all of a sudden I'm smelling that ozone/burning electronics smell. Start looking around and my voltage regulator is glowing a bit on the epoxy side. Work on getting it off the bike and it's just smoking more and more. Luckily I spotted a garage worker and flagged him to grab a fire extinguisher and screwdriver. Used the extinguisher to put out the open flame once the epoxy got hot enough to burn, and was able to get the battery disconnected. Sure enough, with the battery disconnected the voltage regulator immediately starts cooling off and it appears so far that there's no other damage. Nothing like an open flame under a plastic tank full of gas to get your heart rate up in the morning.

So, any ideas what happened? My best guesses are that either the battery developed an internal short and/or maybe a diode went bad on the voltage regulator? I dunno, it's weird as that electricity was feeding back through the charging circuit with the bike off, and the last thing I want to do is start bolting up new parts only to have it happen again.
That's what happens when you trade in your old bike for new euro trash
Flip Flop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 04:55 PM   #5
less_than_coop
SBN BMF

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
GSXR1000
2005 KTM 250sxf

At least you kept your head about you and handled it. Lots of people would have just watched the bike burn up.

Khaki shirt.
less_than_coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 12-10-2015, 05:07 PM   #6
cuong-nutz
Resident 250 guru

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
Ninjer 250

I just get that funky smell when I crank on the starter for a prolonged amount of time. Bad cell or plate is shorting inside the battery. Enough juice to start when warm but not enough to fire up when cold.
Old 12-10-2015, 10:57 PM   #7
Sudo
Banned

User is banned

Sudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 11:07 PM   #8
40acres

Bike(s):
2008 zx-6r
2011 kx250f
2006 zx-6r (R.I.P.)
2004 RM 125 (sold)

My brother bought a Ducati ST4 a few years back. I took him to pick it up. He road it from Dickinson to the house in Seabrook. As I'm backing my truck into the driveway I see him dismount to open the gate. While his back is turned "POOF"!!! BILLOWING smoke from the r/r. Sure sucks but it was probably one of the funniest things I've ever seen.
40acres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 10:58 AM   #9
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDave392 View Post
Sounds to me like the battery was over charged. Glad nothing too crazy happened!
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 12-11-2015, 03:36 PM   #10
Truckin_Thumper

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
El Tigre 1050
WR426 Blue Hooligan Motard ---once back together

You heat the nicest people on a Honda
Truckin_Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 04:45 PM   #11
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

It was the Triumph, and as far as I can tell is the original R/R. I've never heard of one failing in such spectacular fashion, but it apparently happens. I wasn't worried so much about the battery being over charged as if perhaps something inside physically broke and somehow allowed it to reverse polarity, but that would've shown up immediately when it happened, I'd think, if it's even physically possible. Sounds like it was just a really unfortunate R/R failure.

Either way, battery was on it's way out (getting weak), so I'll get it and the R/R swapped out, and check out the stator while I'm there, just for good measure. From what I can tell, there's no real damage to anything else, aside from being really dirty (covered in powder from the extinguisher). Thanks guys.
Old 12-11-2015, 06:06 PM   #12
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae View Post
It was the Triumph, and as far as I can tell is the original R/R. I've never heard of one failing in such spectacular fashion, but it apparently happens. I wasn't worried so much about the battery being over charged as if perhaps something inside physically broke and somehow allowed it to reverse polarity, but that would've shown up immediately when it happened, I'd think, if it's even physically possible. Sounds like it was just a really unfortunate R/R failure.

Either way, battery was on it's way out (getting weak), so I'll get it and the R/R swapped out, and check out the stator while I'm there, just for good measure. From what I can tell, there's no real damage to anything else, aside from being really dirty (covered in powder from the extinguisher). Thanks guys.
Have the British ever manufactured a vehicle that didn't have electrical issues?
Bevo is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 12-11-2015, 06:20 PM   #13
supadupa

Regulators generally fail either closed or wide open overcharging

Closed is much more common. Open is what you just experienced. I've seen them basically cook a battery to the point of explosion.
supadupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 07:18 PM   #14
bdmpastx
The Cripple

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2009 Nissan GTR - sold
2015 Nissan GTR

Electrical fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by supadupa View Post
I've seen them basically cook a battery to the point of explosion.

Exactly what you want in your crotch region lol
Liked this post:
Old 12-11-2015, 08:11 PM   #15
bumblebee

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

[QUOTE=Jae;3971848I wasn't worried so much about the battery being over charged as if perhaps something inside physically broke and somehow allowed it to reverse polarity, but that would've shown up immediately when it happened, I'd think, if it's even physically possible. Sounds like it was just a really unfortunate R/R failure. [/QUOTE]

Over charged? Where does the idea of an over charged battery causing all this damage come from?

Batteries don't reverse polarity like that.

I think you're right. R/R failed and fried.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
Old 12-11-2015, 08:43 PM   #16
Sudo
Banned

User is banned

Sudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 11:06 AM   #17
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
Over charged? Where does the idea of an over charged battery causing all this damage come from?

Batteries don't reverse polarity like that.

I think you're right. R/R failed and fried.
Yeah, that's why I said "I don't even know if it's possible". I'm not familiar with every way the battery could fail, but with the ignition off the battery and R/R are basically the only two components that could possibly be involved at that point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudo View Post
Not knowing the batteries history, I would test the battery on its own before tossing it out. Your weak battery could have been the effect of the bad regulator, either draining it over time or improperly charging the battery. Load test and/or check bank voltages will verify that easily.
The battery was testing at 12.3 V with the bike off (completely unloaded), but even leaving it on the battery tender overnight it couldn't start the bike in the morning. Didn't even have enough juice to crank the engine over more than about two revolutions. Battery is definitely getting weak, think it was just coincidental that the R/R failed at the same time.

Ended up being out of town working the entire weekend, so I'm hoping I can get it home in the next few days.
Old 12-15-2015, 11:21 AM   #18
bumblebee

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

12.3v is not fully charged. That it won't take a full charge means the battery is bad.
The second indication is that it won't crank the bike.
That shows it doesn't have much capacity.

Just to share a little info...
A battery needs 2 things to operate properly, sufficient voltage and enough capacity. It can have what appears to be correct voltage because some of the cells are strong enough to take a full charge. They can power a volt meter.
When one or more cells goes bad, usually a cracked or broken plate, then the capacity is reduced. The remaining cells can't power a starter motor. As soon as you apply a load, like trying to start, the voltage goes way down and you're left with nothing.

You need a new battery and it would be a good idea to verify what caused the fire.
That would be no fun on a crowded freeway at 70mph
Bevo- "I lack skillz"

Advertisement