MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2007, 10:56 PM   #1
Chris24
Thread Savior

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special

Send a message via AIM to Chris24 Send a message via MSN to Chris24 Send a message via Yahoo to Chris24
why no I-4 cruisers?

ill admit, there might be some out there, but i dont know which. seems EVERY cruiser i see is V. all the zooki and honda cruisers are V's.

my thoughts on possibilities why:

1) popularity of the look?
2) the way its always been done?
3) V's can handle the weight of touring dress better?
4) a mechanic mentioned something about frame design lower support of the structure somthing...lsdfhlscjn???
5) no need. without fairings, no need for high speeds?

of course the inverse of the question is WHY?
why make an I-4 cruiser:
1) why not?!?
2) imo, itd look cool and DIFFERENT.
3) who says cruisers cant race...nascar has truck series, why not have a motogp cruiser leauge. k, maybe a bit much there but you get the idea.
4) hybrid cruiser models. i.e. part cruiser part sport or tourer.

i dunno my brain asked weird questions sometimes, what do yall think?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
any cruisers out there brandon&amber Events, Meets and Rides 14 09-09-2013 09:00 PM
Ok Cruisers here it is... Big_E Events, Meets and Rides 19 06-23-2011 12:32 AM
cruisers?? slim Cruisers Lounge 43 03-02-2007 11:55 AM
Cruisers, where are you?? BikerBarbie Cruisers Lounge 16 07-07-2006 01:59 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-15-2007, 11:00 AM   #2
Dub_B83

Bike(s):
2005 ZX6R Magma Orange

1979 Kawasaki KZ1000 LTD

This one had it coming - This one found a vein
This one was an accident, but never gave me pain
This one was my fathers and This one you can't see
This one had me scared to death,
[U]But I guess I should be glad I'm not dead[/U]

Yes I am made of scars
That's what I'm made of!![/CENTER]
Dub_B83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 11:02 AM   #3
Dub_B83

Bike(s):
2005 ZX6R Magma Orange

Found this:

"Joe:

Question
Does anyone make an inline 4-cylinder cruiser anymore? It seems like everywhere I look, all I see are V Twins. The only 4-cylinder bikes left are also V versions: Honda's 750 Magna and Yamaha's V-MAX."

"Answer
Joe,

Thanks for the question. Unfortunately, there are no more inline-4 cruisers being offered from any major bike maker. While you and probably many other riders would like a good inline-4 cruiser, there is just not enough demand for them to warrant the expense of design, tooling, and production.

I'm sure you remember the early days of Japanese cruisers, when bikes like the Kawasaki KZ1000LTD, Honda CB750/900/1100C ("Custom") and many other inline-4 cruisers were just about all you could buy. But when Harley had their big resurgence in the early 80's, that pretty much cast the cruiser as a V-twin (if it wanted to be considered a "real" cruiser). As you say, the only real non-vtwin cruisers ended up being the Honda Valkyrie (Flat-6), Yamaha V-Max (V-4), Honda Magnas (V-4) and a few others.

However, things may be changing. Triumph is having good luck with the Bonneville America (a P-twin), and the Honda Rune may start a trend for "high-performance" cruisers that have engines other than V-twins. Triumph will also debut a cruiser with a 2300cc triple this fall.

But will the inline-four cruiser make a comeback? I doubt it. The inline-4 engine does not make "cruiser noises" like a V-twin or triple, and "the sound" is a big part of the sales package for a cruiser. Also, with newer high-performance V-twins coming out all the time (such as the Honda VTX), cruisers are now getting the power WITH the sound and look of a twin.

If you really want a cruiser with an inline-4, you will either have to build your own (not impossible) or snag a clean old one. My favorite (and one of the last inline-4 cruisers made) was the 1985 Kawasaki Eliminator 1000, also known as the ZL1000. Terrible name, but a great bike. Long and low, with tons of power and it sounded tough with some aftermarket pipes. They are still out there, try looking on Cycletrader.com or eBay Motors.

Good luck, ride safe, have fun.

William Roberson
www.greatoldbikes.com"

This one had it coming - This one found a vein
This one was an accident, but never gave me pain
This one was my fathers and This one you can't see
This one had me scared to death,
[U]But I guess I should be glad I'm not dead[/U]

Yes I am made of scars
That's what I'm made of!![/CENTER]
Dub_B83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 11:14 AM   #4
chasee69
ballin' outta control!

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
CRF 50

v max was the .

speaking of that has anyone seen that old dude i think his name is don. use to have a vmax then moved to a yamaha fz1 or something?

ducatisignature
chasee69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 11:21 AM   #5
Chris24
Thread Savior

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special

Send a message via AIM to Chris24 Send a message via MSN to Chris24 Send a message via Yahoo to Chris24
my old roommate had a 74 CB750. i wouldnt call it a cruiser. more of a standard. i looked up pics for the KZ1000LTD, id say the same for it.

the valkeryie is a good example though. (still not a I-4, but at least not a vtwin) and the RUNE is awesome. i drool when someone brings one into the dealer.

what do you say guys, who wants to drop a busa motor into an m109, or put a 1000RR motor on a shadow. lol.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:24 AM   #6
chasee69
ballin' outta control!

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
CRF 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris24
my old roommate had a 74 CB750. i wouldnt call it a cruiser. more of a standard. i looked up pics for the KZ1000LTD, id say the same for it.

the valkeryie is a good example though. (still not a I-4, but at least not a vtwin) and the RUNE is awesome. i drool when someone brings one into the dealer.

what do you say guys, who wants to drop a busa motor into an m109, or put a 1000RR motor on a shadow. lol.
that would be great. some squid would come up to you and try to race

ducatisignature
chasee69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 11:41 AM   #7
isoplus
should be working

Bike(s):
Honda Shadow VT750C2, Hyosung GV650

Wasn't one of Hyosung's cruiser supposed to have the same engine as their sport bike engine?
gv650
The cruiser's engine is only 650cc but supposed to have over 70hp... that's amazing for a cruiser... kinda like Honda Magna.
My Honda Shadow VT750 only has lil over 40hp... :eh:

Oh well... my next bike shall be V-max I think...

Last edited by isoplus; 07-15-2007 at 02:37 PM.
isoplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 11:44 AM   #8
Jaygermeister
Get out of my way Jimmy

Bike(s):
2008 GSX-R 1340 Hayabusa CBR1100XX Superblackbird & CBR600F4 track bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasee69
v max is the .

Fixed that for ya!

I hate rules
why no I-4 cruisers?
Track days are like going to Las Vegas If you canít afford to lose it donít go!!!!!
Jaygermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 12:14 PM   #9
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

I rode a Maxim 700 by Yamaha in college. 4 cylinder lifted from the Seca 750 / 900 and similar to the still cool FZ600. With shaft drive and a balance shaft it was silky smooth, had about 60-70 HP so it accelerated well, and looked cool (at the time).

http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/046161/

I really did like this bike in the brief time it was in my possession. Fixed the stator and resold it for a couple hundred in profit to help pay the college bills. Regretted it for a while. It was smooth, very comfortable, sporty, and great with a passenger.