MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2015, 11:07 AM   #1
Rowdy76

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2013 Kawi Ninja 300 ABS

Member Garage

TWS (Texas World Speedway) - Sat Nov 28 & Sun Nov 29 - Roll Call

Looks like the forecast has gotten a little better. Maybe some mid-day showers but its gonna be damp and chilly. Who is going and what day?

1. Rowdy76 (sat)
Rowdy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nov 9 & 10 at MSR Houston Trackday Fiesta & Barbecue Roll Call Whoop Taking it to the Track 48 11-08-2013 04:22 PM
Roll Call RIDESMART TWS (Texas World Speedway) Nov 27th PYROBUG51 Ridesmart Motorcycle School 42 11-27-2010 11:05 PM
Hill Country Run Sat-Sun Nov 13-14 proasian3 Events, Meets and Rides 8 11-10-2010 09:28 AM
races nov 1-2!!! roll call camaroz2866 Events, Meets and Rides 0 10-12-2008 08:39 PM
ROLL CALL Nov. 7th CarbonJames Taking it to the Track 49 11-10-2005 02:55 PM
Advertisement
Old 11-27-2015, 12:00 PM   #2
bsu

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to bsu
I'm in. First track day for me. Forecast still looks bleh. Should be interesting.

1. Rowdy76 (sat)
2. BSU (sat)

Last edited by bsu; 11-27-2015 at 12:04 PM.
bsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 12:56 PM   #3
r6racer
track

Feedback Rating: (4)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2008 Yamaha R6 Race/track
2012 Yamaha WGP R6
2004 Kawasaki KLx250 2-stroke
2008 Yamaha R6 Street *Sold*
2005 Yamaha R6 Track *Sold*

Member Garage

If Sunday looks better the night before ill come
r6racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 01:33 PM   #4
proasian3

Feedback Rating: (5)

I'll be there both days
proasian3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 11:35 PM   #5
Rowdy76

Bike(s):
2013 Kawi Ninja 300 ABS

Member Garage

All taped up .. got a pack a few things and its gonna be an early morning. Good thoughts gonna be a beautiful day.
Old 11-28-2015, 09:20 AM   #6
Rttoys
Insurance poor

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
99 Ducati 996s
07 Yamaha FZ1
14 Yamaha TW200
13 Kawasaki 300se
08 Ducati Hypermotard

Y'all be safe.
Old 11-28-2015, 07:14 PM   #7
bsu

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to bsu
It was a fun day. Cold and wet, but fun. Definitely looking forward to the next time.

Attendance was sparse, especially in level three. Plenty of garage space available. Would imagine it will be the same tomorrow.
bsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 01:28 AM   #8
Rowdy76

Bike(s):
2013 Kawi Ninja 300 ABS

Member Garage

It was a good day. 3 riders down in Lvl 1 ... no transports ... I would say it was a good day. It was my first time at TWS (Texas World Speedway) and I was not looking forward to riding in the rain but by the time the day was over I had fun.

It was a challenge not knowing the track and riding in the rain (I avoid the rain). My class time today went like this "keep working on the line". I was very frustrated most of the day trying to find my marks with a face shield full of rain but that last session right before lunch when the track dried up a bit before the rain returned made the biggest difference. I was able to find some confidence and look forward to coming back in March to a dry track.

I did get to leave on a high note and frustration at the same time. We had just went out for the next to last session of the day and my goal was to back it down a bit and hit my entry marks and get my elbow down (yeah I was so frustrated with the line a BP 101 had escaped me all day). I did ok on my first lap still jacked up my exit of 5 making 6 real sketchy being wet. Did my awesome run into 7 (my fav corner of the place that corner kills) ok 8 and 9 ...pretty good on the run back to the front. Lap 2 best lap of the day .. finally getting in good starting with a good turn 2 and before I knew it I stopped fighting the bike and let follow the track. Nailed 5 and 6 .. blazed 7 ... hugged the curb in 10 and got a run to 12 when the bottom the just fell out of the sky. But I got to leave there knowing I could do it at least one time so it was a good day.
Liked this post:
Old 12-01-2015, 02:08 PM   #9
chevy42083

Bike(s):
'09 XB12scg
'07 650r Stolen/recovered

What, no other follow ups?
I THINK there was only 1 wreck on sunday. Green bike turning onto the back straight. Lots of guys taking it easy in the rain, and plenty going hard too.

I ran on Sunday and had a blast. I've been stuck in rain quite a bit commuting, but never on a track. I don't regret it for a minute... though the paddock continually cleared out more and more through out the day. I think at 3:30 there was only one person still heading out on the track.... So i don't think everyone was enjoying it as much as usual. Rain had picked up, puddles got much bigger. The increased rain had finally worked its way through my boots and leathers and was starting to feel a bit cold.

The puddles gave some "incentive" to stay on the EXACT line you wanted. They actually worked very well as markers in some areas.
Great incentive to keep it SMOOTH on all inputs (probably easier on my 650r than many other bikes). There were several times the rear got a bit squirrelly, but not out of hand... just a little shimmy.
The limited traction was also the incentive to really hang off and let the bike stay as upright as possible.... even while going a moderate pace.
A few times, the track was so empty I kept checking the flaggers to make sure I was actually supposed to be out there. I'm not accustomed to 3 full laps without seeing a single bike. 2 others said it was basically the same except they kept seeing each other on the opposite side (exiting turn 3 looking over to the straight before carousel).

RainX was a MUST. I swapped visors to a clean clear one instead of my RainXed mirror visor i had been using and had a HORRIBLE time with both fog and water. The RainXed one was fine all morning. Also, RainX on the GoPro seemed to help too. The instructors were recommending Lemon Pledge for visors.
Old 12-01-2015, 02:15 PM   #10
TMAX
Forever MODERATE

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
TMAX (Retired in California)
Xciting 500
XT 225
Duke 2
C14 & FZ6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy42083 View Post
I THINK there was only 1 wreck on sunday. Green bike turning onto the back straight. Lots of guys taking it easy in the rain, and plenty going hard too.

I ran on Sunday and had a blast. I've been stuck in rain quite a bit commuting, but never on a track. I don't regret it for a minute... though the paddock continually cleared out more and more through out the day. I think at 3:30 there was only one person still heading out on the track.... So i don't think everyone was enjoying it as much as usual. Rain had picked up, puddles got much bigger. The increased rain had finally worked its way through my boots and leathers and was starting to feel a bit cold.

The puddles gave some "incentive" to stay on the EXACT line you wanted. They actually worked very well as markers in some areas.
Great incentive to keep it SMOOTH on all inputs (probably easier on my 650r than many other bikes). There were several times the rear got a bit squirrelly, but not out of hand... just a little shimmy.
The limited traction was also the incentive to really hang off and let the bike stay as upright as possible.... even while going a moderate pace.
A few times, the track was so empty I kept checking the flaggers to make sure I was actually supposed to be out there. I'm not accustomed to 3 full laps without seeing a single bike. 2 others said it was basically the same except they kept seeing each other on the opposite side (exiting turn 3 looking over to the straight before carousel).

RainX was a MUST. I swapped visors to a clean clear one instead of my RainXed mirror visor i had been using and had a HORRIBLE time with both fog and water. The RainXed one was fine all morning. Also, RainX on the GoPro seemed to help too. The instructors were recommending Lemon Pledge for visors.
geesh i thought i recognized you and your bro there. but i couldnt finger it. yeah for commuters like us conditions like we had sunday is far from the worst weve seen.

however, we had the luxury of a safe environment.

can wait till net year!
Old 12-01-2015, 09:24 PM   #11
Rowdy76

Bike(s):
2013 Kawi Ninja 300 ABS

Member Garage

Quote:

I was on Ninja 300 and it got loose in the a couple times coming out of 6 and right off of 9 going into the short straight. I am really looking forward to going back next time around with good weather. One good praise from the instructors was I was getting a good drive out of the corners. So next time out gotta work on my BP and getting a good entry on the corners I was blowing. Should make for a good day.

I need to invest in a suit and put the bike up on the rear stand so I can practice getting off the bike before I hit another track day. I didnt think I would really get the bug to want to go faster but actually not being the slowest person on the track and getting to pass some people really opened up that door. I scared the instructor (Tommy) one time when I passed 3 bikes between 11 and 12. He thought I wasn't going to make the turn in for 12 but when I tipped I had slowed it down quite a bit. I hit pretty close to the mark but never felt like the front was going to wash out. I am pretty conservative in my riding so the fact he thought I was pushing it a little to far and I didnt feel like I went over my head since I didnt have to crank on it to get through the turn. Watching some videos that late apex under faster speeds would kill 13 and 14 so I see his point .. but it was fun
Old 12-01-2015, 10:45 PM   #12
proasian3

Feedback Rating: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy76 View Post
I was on Ninja 300 and it got loose in the a couple times coming out of 6 and right off of 9 going into the short straight. I am really looking forward to going back next time around with good weather. One good praise from the instructors was I was getting a good drive out of the corners. So next time out gotta work on my BP and getting a good entry on the corners I was blowing. Should make for a good day.

I need to invest in a suit and put the bike up on the rear stand so I can practice getting off the bike before I hit another track day. I didnt think I would really get the bug to want to go faster but actually not being the slowest person on the track and getting to pass some people really opened up that door. I scared the instructor (Tommy) one time when I passed 3 bikes between 11 and 12. He thought I wasn't going to make the turn in for 12 but when I tipped I had slowed it down quite a bit. I hit pretty close to the mark but never felt like the front was going to wash out. I am pretty conservative in my riding so the fact he thought I was pushing it a little to far and I didnt feel like I went over my head since I didnt have to crank on it to get through the turn. Watching some videos that late apex under faster speeds would kill 13 and 14 so I see his point .. but it was fun
Tony I race the 300 in cmra. I only track the cbr1000. IMHO the minis are much more fun. Come out!!!!
proasian3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 10:04 AM   #13
Rowdy76

Bike(s):
2013 Kawi Ninja 300 ABS

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by proasian3 View Post
Tony I race the 300 in cmra. I only track the cbr1000. IMHO the minis are much more fun. Come out!!!!
racing cost money ... not in my scope right now
Liked this post:
Old 12-03-2015, 06:49 PM   #14
chevy42083

Bike(s):
'09 XB12scg

I pushed pretty hard on one round... granted I'm FAR from fast, and only my 2nd track day.... but I wasn't lolly gagging around the track either. Ended up with one good lap, rain started in pretty good, and after feeling the back wiggle a couple times (usually when MOSTLY straight and upright) I slowed it down and focused purely on the line. I've goofed off in the rain on the street, in a straight line, enough to be comfortable with a little but of movement. There were a few turns that I felt uneasy in, so I safely stayed a bit wide with no drive out to. Basically, went above my comfort level, but knew I was no where near the bikes/traction level and had plenty of room.

I'll probably host a hole session on youtube just for the heck of it, but this was one lap from the session that I was trying for a LITTLE speed. Still barely used brakes and didn't continue accelerating on most of the straights once I was upright. That was REALLY obvious when I played it side by side with a lap from exactly 1 year ago in the perfect weather.

Old 12-04-2015, 12:30 PM   #15
chevy42083

Bike(s):
'09 XB12scg

Quote:
Little update to this. I swapped because I thought I'd temporarily smudged up the mirror visor by using a towel that wasn't dry (1 microfiber towel used on 3 helmets, applying RainX and drying them). It seemed like the water drops were making it less tinted or something. Drops appeared especially bright. The non-uniform appearance was distracting, so I swapped on the clear visor. Confirmed last night.... RainX on microfiber towel removes the mirror tinting. Well.... it removes it in spots/marks with normal washing. With light hand buffing, it removes it COMPLETELY. I now have a 2nd clear visor, except I left the edges covering the latches/hinge tinted. It's as perfect a finish as a brand new clear visor.... just costs twice as much

I knew that Visor sucked last year when something smudged off the tint while inside a helmet bag.... just didn't realize how delicate it really was.
So yeah.... warm water, your hand, and spot dry.

BTW, HJC RPHA10 visor.
Old 12-04-2015, 12:43 PM   #16
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

that's the helmet I have my mirrored visor on. Thanks for the heads up on how delicate it is. I haven't rain-x'd mine yet thankfully
Old 12-04-2015, 01:54 PM   #17
Rowdy76

Bike(s):
2013 Kawi Ninja 300 ABS

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repth View Post
that's the helmet I have my mirrored visor on. Thanks for the heads up on how delicate it is. I haven't rain-x'd mine yet thankfully
i used the rainX on my hjc rpha10 tinted shield .. it just fogged up cause the rain was like a mist and would not run off
Old 12-04-2015, 04:34 PM   #18
chevy42083

Bike(s):
'09 XB12scg

Yeah... apparently that mirror tint is stupid delicate. I had read that before purchase, but really thought it was guys who scrubbed bugs off, treated them badly, or used paper towels to dry them. I'm REALLY careful with my visors, i HATE all scratches. I wash with warm water and my fingers, pat dry with towel, then wipe on RainX or some type of "quick detailer". I also don't leave them outside, or generally let ANYTHING touch the visor... for sure I'd be fine. Nope... it's just REALLY delicate.

I should have tested the quick detailer on the mirror tint, but kinda jumped right into polishing it off so I could use the visor still. Also wish I'd masked off an eyebrow/visor at the top edge. Oh well.

I've used all this stuff on Dark smoke sheilds by HJC and scorpion with zero issues.
Old 12-04-2015, 07:53 PM   #19
Rowdy76

Bike(s):
2013 Kawi Ninja 300 ABS

Member Garage

for everyday cleaning i use Sprayaway Worlds Best Glass Cleaner ... clean my shell and visor with it
Old 12-14-2015, 09:03 AM   #20
rz500guy

Bike(s):
Yamaha RZ 500
Suzuki 1200 BanditS
RD 350
1990 Yamaha FZR 400

rz in the rain

It was pretty awful there. I do not think anyone went out in L3. There were no race lines with all the standing water in the corners. Vision was my biggest issue due to wearing glasses. Last session Randy put some Pledge furniture polish on my face shield. I had rain tires on and was told I could easily went 20% faster. Riding L2. Rain tires are awesome except for the cost. Sunday I worked on getting off the bike and kept it more upright. My bike uses a Power Valve controller which adjust exhaust port height and was out all day Saturday. No power at all. Sunday it acted erratic all day. The rear rain really had some wear on the trailing edge of the sipes. Track was not wet enough I guess. All in all it was still a lot of fun and was good to know what the bike could do in the rain.

TWO VIDEOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJ67...ature=youtu.be

rz500guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement