MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2007, 10:47 AM   #21
jimmy"zx6
Banned

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2005 kawasaki 636,2004 zx10r

User is banned

jimmy"zx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how lean is to lean! H2447INTX How To's and Q & A's 17 06-07-2009 07:01 PM
Laffer curve ... something to think about ... logan5 The Circus 1 10-21-2008 08:44 AM
Went down on a blind S curve. Croe General Discussion (Moto Related) 18 09-27-2008 05:18 PM
lean to the left lean to the right! MrGixxer7fitty Off Topic 22 07-18-2007 05:27 PM
Bike runs lean jules929 How To's and Q & A's 5 11-20-2006 05:22 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-13-2007, 10:48 AM   #22
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

Is Buck's noob trackday in August already full?

I had one trackday with Lonestar Trackdays and took the noob trackday with Buck, and let me tell you, you learn more there than you could ever learn on the street. It gives you tons more confidence on the street and you know how to react if a curve gets tight on you and you were getting in just a tad too hot for its radius.

The noob trackday would be best because MSR-H is a very technical track and you definitely learn cornering there. Texas World Speedway is good too but a much faster track and it can be intimitading if it is your first time out there.

Oh, and don't worry about speed out there. Learn the lines, get feedback from the instructors and just take it easy. If you go with Lonestar Trackdays, sign up for the 50$ riding school they offer, best money you can spend.
Old 07-13-2007, 06:11 PM   #23
level5
moving chicane

How does everyone learn so much on one trackday? Does that mean all of you that has attend 4 or more is AMA or Motogp ready racer? All I learn on my first trackday is the race line and nothing more.:BangHead: I had to take more track days to learn on body position and foot work. Maybe I am a slow learner.:dontknow:

After 1 trackday, I was still squidly fast.
After 10 trackdays, I am not that fast on the street anymore. Go figure.:laughing6
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 06:17 PM   #24
soap4life
Reverend

Bike(s):
z1000

Send a message via AIM to soap4life
i can do medium speed turns, and lean them low too. but fast speed i have no idea
Old 07-13-2007, 06:25 PM   #25
Seth
F T W

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
sixsevenfive

Send a message via AIM to Seth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godsuki
I would suggest starting with the MSF. If you've already taken it, then take the advanced class. If you still have questions, just push really hard on the inside handlebar, slide your off of the seat. Open your hips towards the turn and stick your knee out. Now, apply full throttle and don't let off until you feel your knee touch down........

Or, you could just read Keith Codes books!
Old 07-13-2007, 06:30 PM   #26
Hulk23

Bike(s):
2006 CBR 1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango1300
+1

There is no reason why you cannot learn how to get comfortable with your riding at extreme lean angles and riding positions but getting the WRONG info like trying it in a parking lot Get with a group that has the experience and learn how to ride safely.

Not sure if this was in response to me saying try it in a parking lot, but I clearly stated getting track time, but if that was not an option a big parking lot without 3000+ pound cars waiting to run you over when you make a mistake is a viable option. Plenty of us "experienced" riders have learned both on the track and off. Anyways he just needs to learn in the safest environment possible. If hes willing to do a track day which he said he is now then thats the way to go. If not just find the safest area and watch some fellow riders and ask questions.
Hulk23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 06:32 PM   #27
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay
ive looked it up online, i was just wondering, what was everyones technique for a hitting a curve fast, and how to properly lean a bike while doing it, ive been riding for about a year, and i take them somewhat fast at times, but not to the point were i can really lean my bike. Im hesitant to do it, whats your opinion on how to do it, any info would be great, thanks
MSF?
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 06:33 PM   #28
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X
MSF?
Does MSF teaches kneedragging too?
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 06:36 PM   #29
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
going fast to keep up with the guys on 610 or "racers road" will get you killed.....

i've known a few HIGHLY experienced riders that died riding on the streets. experience or not, you cannot control the environment on the streets.

do a trackday, and slow yourself down on the street. some of the guys who go country road riding or what not, you may think that their pace is fast....but it's probably only 50% of their riding ability, and they're just keeping things under control still.

go to the track, and ride 110%.....you won't regret it. like Patrick said, even if you never plan to race....a trackday will do wonders. fork up the pennies and save the dollars you would spend fixing your bike if you wreck on the streets trying to lean hard.

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 06:37 PM   #30
10mm

XR 100 w/ street tires in a parking lot. some friends do this weekly and all the tecniques transfer to a big bike.

PM me if you want to do ride sometime. we have a tight knit group, been riding in the same lot for 4+ years.

Generally we ride on weds night.
10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 06:43 PM   #31
Mr. Unassailable
1-20-2013-Change we need

Feedback Rating: (6)

Member Garage

find a good section of road with some curves and just practice. most people slide their off the seat alittle on the side that the bike is leaning to, this makes it turn more without the bike leaning as much, but then you run the risk of messing up your jeans, i just stay attached to the bike knees on the tank and feel for my foot peg to hit, when the peg hits i know i need to either hold it or back off the throttle alittle and stand it up some. Practice makes perfect, if you wanna learn with less practice to the track day.
Old 07-13-2007, 06:53 PM   #32
rob78
. . . . . . . . .

Feedback Rating: (10)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
Late Model Never-Was

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Unassailable
find a good section of road with some curves and just practice. most people slide their off the seat alittle on the side that the bike is leaning to, this makes it turn more without the bike leaning as much, but then you run the risk of messing up your jeans, i just stay attached to the bike knees on the tank and feel for my foot peg to hit, when the peg hits i know i need to either hold it or back off the throttle alittle and stand it up some. Practice makes perfect, if you wanna learn with less practice to the track day.
one of the reasons for leaning off the bike is so you keep it more upright thus having more contact with your tires to the road. If you just lean the bike and wait for the pegs to hit you run a greater risk of having less contact with the road and your tires and thats a bad thing.
rob78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 07:09 PM   #33
Pre-K

Feedback Rating: (11)

Bike(s):
2012 CBR1000RR
2014 Specialized

TRACK DAY... your skills will increase exponentially (did I spell that right?) when you get on the track with some doods that can really teach you!!

You will be suprised just how much you will learn with just a couple hours of seat time!!
Pre-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 07:13 PM   #34
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

I always wondered what it would be like to touch a knee. I was too skeert to do it on the street.
Then I started doing track days and it wasn't long before I did it. It aint that big a deal.
How you learn at a trackday is to get with one of the instructors/control riders. They can help you more than you think just by following you and watching. then maybe you follow them some and see that if their bike can do it (take a turn at a certain speed) then your bike can too.
Another big benefit is since it isn't a race you can ride at the speed you feel comfortable and because the pavement conditions are the same lap after lap, you can learn to feel comfortable going faster as you see fit.
That to me is the best part (besides the speed) is learning to relax and feel what the bike is doing and how you are positioned on it.
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 07:33 PM   #35
Mr. Unassailable
1-20-2013-Change we need

Feedback Rating: (6)

Member Garage

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob78
one of the reasons for leaning off the bike is so you keep it more upright thus having more contact with your tires to the road. If you just lean the bike and wait for the pegs to hit you run a greater risk of having less contact with the road and your tires and thats a bad thing.
i guess you missed what i bolded there.. i just like to lean more. and i dont wanna **** up my good pants
Old 07-13-2007, 08:26 PM   #36
rob78
. . . . . . . . .

Feedback Rating: (10)

Bike(s):
Late Model Never-Was

Quote:
i guess you missed what i bolded there.. i just like to lean more. and i dont wanna **** up my good pants
no I didnt miss it just stated why it is not a good idea to lean the bike till the foot pegs scrap when your not leaning off aswell.
rob78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 09:23 PM   #37
Pre-K

Feedback Rating: (11)

Bike(s):
2012 CBR1000RR
2014 Specialized

i think my holy pants are cool :laughing6
Pre-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 09:26 PM   #38
Swift E

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
Triumph 675

Take a hit off of the TRACK PIPE!
It will do wonders...
Old 07-13-2007, 10:05 PM   #39
Somebody1010
CCS EX #62

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
04 Suzuki 600 (Track only) 04 Kawi KX 250

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Somebody1010 Send a message via Yahoo to Somebody1010
i started on dirt and then noved to the street and when i started street riding i was real tense going around corners, i finally took msf and it taught me alot i felt real relaxed and i finally got it in my head to look way through the corner instead of worrying whats right in front of me. i finally forked up the money for the track in janurary and have not looked back. since starting riding at the track i dont ride much on the streets any more besides going to work. when i am on the streets i find it real easy to go faster then i ever went around corners. i just have to keep my self in check and its real easy since i can get my fix for speed and corners atleast once a month.

i got with an instructor every track day to let me know what i need to work on, and it has helped. you will never learn everything in one day. i have about 20 to 25 trackdays under my belt now and sure i am quicker then ever but buck or larry will still make me look like i am standing still on the track.

just imo if u can afford 1 td a month it is worth every penny
Old 07-13-2007, 10:12 PM   #40
Buck Beasley
Older,Wiser,Faster

Feedback Rating: (2)

'05 Suzuki SV 650,

'04 Vespa 150

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Buck Beasley
Got the day off tomorrow Jay? Come on out to MSRH, bring some gear and I'll drag you around for a session. Sort of like a dealer who gives you the first rock for free.........
Buck Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement