MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2007, 11:18 PM   #1
Chris24
Thread Savior

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special

Send a message via AIM to Chris24 Send a message via MSN to Chris24 Send a message via Yahoo to Chris24
gonna do my first carb job this weekend.

so this gs i got sat up for a long time, after being ridden hard, wore out, and put up wet...

i put on new tires, brakes, plugs, and some other stuff.

got a fresh battery on, and after some electrical gremlins got taken care of it still wouldnt start. i pulled the tank and air filter and fogged the airbox with carb cleaner, and got it to start and run for a few seconds, then minutes...COOL!

i even got her to run long enough to make a lap around the parking lot, but it wouldnt go over like 4k and would hardly go...after a few minutes it died and wont start without carb cleaner sprayed in the box.

looks like time to clean the carbs wheeeeee!!!! never done it before, but im very confident i can do it. being a parts guy i know what everything is, and more or less what its supposed to do. i dont think ill have to do too much tuning (yea right, huh? lol) just clean the jets and valve, etc. put it back together. i dunno. we will see how i do come sunday or monday ish.

wish me the best. im actually excited about giving it a go. does that make me some kind of mechanical nerd?

if i can stomp that out, my next attempt is going to be doing my own valve adjustment !!! eazy peazy i say!

if i can do all of that, and the bike doesnt blow up underneath me, i think im gonna start investing in a cabinet and tools, and see if i can score a job as an entry level tech, i can allready do clutches, and some other simple stuff. i still have alot to learn though.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TWS (Texas World Speedway).. Ridesmart.. Who's gonna be there this weekend? Krazy D Events, Meets and Rides 17 10-20-2012 02:15 PM
This weekend - RR is probably gonna be bad Johnny77423 Events, Meets and Rides 35 04-15-2011 08:51 PM
carb job for my bike Chaos How To's and Q & A's 7 12-04-2009 02:03 PM
Any other MHers gonna be at Barber this weekend Somebody1010 Taking it to the Track 15 08-18-2009 11:24 AM
Anyone gonna ride Fulshear this weekend???? Northside G35 Events, Meets and Rides 23 03-16-2007 02:59 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-12-2007, 11:26 PM   #2
Slowkat
Nutty Buddy

Send a message via AIM to Slowkat
sounds like fun....I enjoy workin on carbs...brings me back to the good old days with the first R1's and Srads when I first started getting into bikes...
Old 07-12-2007, 11:30 PM   #3
DLunsford21
Go Fast Or Go Home

Bike(s):
06 Yamaha 600r -STOLEN-

Send a message via AIM to DLunsford21
its really simple. me and a friend did a carb job on my bike. took about 45mins total. runs like a champ now. good luck

R.I.P. Brother, You'll Forever Be Apart Of Us All
DLunsford21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 11:31 PM   #4
josh302

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
shotgun
rifle
4wd

there may be parts that need replacing, dont put dry rotten float needles back in(shake floats to make sure they are not "sunk"), if it has diaphams they may need replace. get some thin piano wire to clean jet holes and so forth. you'll need a carb tuning sync tool.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:42 PM   #5
Slowkat
Nutty Buddy

Send a message via AIM to Slowkat
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh302
you'll need a carb tuning sync tool.
Not if you leave all the linkages alone and just drop the bowels and clean the jets. But as soon as you turn any of those syn screws...Call me up..Ill rent out my Motionpro sync tool for a 6 pack..., I should have the correct vac fittings for that bike
Old 07-13-2007, 12:02 AM   #6
Romeo36
Mother****ersi'llkillyou

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
sv650,rc51,gsxr750,6oo,sdg107

Send a message via AIM to Romeo36
dont touch the mixture screw if you can help it.
Romeo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 12:04 AM   #7
Romeo36
Mother****ersi'llkillyou

Bike(s):
sv650,rc51,gsxr750,6oo,sdg107

Send a message via AIM to Romeo36
seriously its easy ive been cleanin carbs since i was 12
Romeo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 12:21 AM   #8
josh302

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
shotgun
rifle
4wd

not to argue with yall gurus or anything, but if a bike has been sitting for an extended period of time(like his) the fuel does somthing comonly refered to as "varnishing", you would be an idiot not to remove all screws and clean each and every passage way, imo. So do it right, not half , get the sync tool.

edit:
forgot to say:
somtimes I count the turns on the air screws when I remove them(turn clockwise until they stop, counting every rotaion), helps with tuning on re-installation.

Last edited by josh302; 07-13-2007 at 01:00 AM.
josh302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 01:43 AM   #9
Chris24
Thread Savior

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special

Send a message via AIM to Chris24 Send a message via MSN to Chris24 Send a message via Yahoo to Chris24
ya, id like to clean everything, and sync it afterwards. without a sync i imagine it would run ok, but not ideal. last person to sync it may have been 5, 10 years ago, im sure its out of adj. by now. plus if it was adjusted without a carb clean, and then you clean it, i dont think it would be right...

slowkat, name your poison sir. im gonna just try to get it running first but i may hit you up for a "rental" in the near future.
Old 07-13-2007, 07:50 AM   #10
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Chris,
Josh is correct, clean ALL of the passages, don't forget the air jet passages as well. I'd recommend setting the fuel screws on that bike 1.5 to 2 turns out from lightly seated.

FWIW, while you're in there I'd check / adjust the valves. Being an older air cooled engine, they're probably on the tight side.
Synch the carbs at the end.

If you adjust the valves after you synch the carbs, they will may to be re-synched because the vacuum on the cylinders can change.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement