MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > News & Media > Motorcycle News & Media > Racing News
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2015, 11:00 AM   #1
NewsBot

Feedback Rating: (0)

Review Alpinestars Archer XTrafit gloves 13999

An allseason leather glove that doesnt compromise feel or protection

The Alpinestars Archer X-Trafit gloves

The knuckle sections towards the ends of the fingers are reflective.

The rubber visor wipe works well.

The fake-suede panel on the palm ensure they grip well when wet.

I TRY and put off using winter gloves for as long as I can. I don’t like they way they often rob my dainty digits of the feel and dexterity I’ve become accustomed to after months in a set of summer gloves.

That’s why I was keen to get my filthy hands on, or rather in, a pair of Alpinestars Archer X-Trafits – a waterproof and windproof leather glove with enough protection for use on track. I’ve been wearing them for six weeks now and so far, they’ve been almost flawless.

They feel superb – like a summer glove with a little more material between the external leather and the lining. The additional material is the Gore-Tex and X-Trafit membrane. The Gore-Tex offers breathable wind and rain protection and the X-Trafit part keeps it from moving around, which is claimed to improve grip.

The membrane works brilliantly, keeping my hands bone dry during rides up to a couple of hours long in sometimes-torrential rain. Because there's no bulky fleecy lining, the Archer X-Trafits also provide excellent feel and I didn’t experience any bunching or movement because the membrane doesn't slide around between the leather exterior and lining. The palm also has a synthetic suede panel which gives consistent grip in the wet.

Although the Gore-Tex means these gloves laugh in the face of rain and wind, there is a downside to the lack of bulky insulation – when the temperature really drops, they’re not the warmest. They’re OK in the cold, but after a couple of chilly night rides, I arrived home with cold hands. I’ve tried the Archer X-Trafits with liner gloves, which made them warmer without impact too much on how they felt.

The burliest protection comes courtesy of a TPU knuckle guard and a TPU slider at the heel of the hand. There’s also a finger bridge between the third and fourth fingers. The stitching looks flawless and many areas are double stitched. The Velcro cuff closure seals up tightly over my leather and textile jackets and comes up far enough to tuck it under a jacket cuff to keep water out.

At £130 the Archer X-Trafits aren’t the cheapest, but until the temperature goes properly Baltic, I think they’ll be hard to beat.

Tested: Alpinestars Archer X-Trafit gloves

Price: £139.99

• Sign up for Visordown's weekly newsletter, Bugsplat, to get the best motorcycle news, road tests and features plus exclusive competitions and offers direct to your inbox. Register as a Visordown member here and tick the box for Bugsplat in your newsletter settings here.

Related Content

Review: Alpinestars Archer Gore-Tex gloves
Showcase: Waterproof motorcycle gloves
Review: Held Active Fit Gore-Tex gloves
Review: Alpinestars S-MX 6 Gore-Tex boots
Used Review: Dainese Jerico R winter gloves

More...
NewsBot is offline   Reply With Quote