Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > News & Media > Motorcycle News & Media > Industry News
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2015, 06:50 PM   #1
NewsBot

Feedback Rating: (0)

MotoGP Champion Crowned At Valencia

15motogp valencia lorenzo marquez?itokpT jN3Qf Jorge Lorenzo was untouchable at the MotoGP season finale in Valencia, Spain. Photo Courtesy of Bridgestone

It was an all-Spanish podium in the MotoGP season finale in Valencia, Spain, and as a result it was a Spaniard who was crowned. Jorge Lorenzo was flawless, setting the pace to secure the win and his fifth World Championship over his Movistar Yamaha teammate Valentino Rossi.

“It was one of the toughest races, if not the toughest one because the tension and the pressure was very high from the first corner,” Lorenzo said. “But I try to push the limit like I know how to do. Not thinking about anything, just ride and to give the maximum on the bike, on the tire.

“And finally it was worth it because now we can say we are five-time World Champion in general, three times in MotoGP – equaling legends like Wayne Rainey, my friend and legend Kenny Roberts Sr., and in the motorsport world Ayrton Senna. So it’s amazing to feel that and we have to enjoy the maximum because these moments are difficult to reach.”

Adding to the difficulty was the fact that Lorenzo couldn’t read his pit board half the time, so he did not know where Rossi was. He had to rely on the scenario that Rossi was in fourth. Towards the end, he was able to see that the Repsol Honda duo of Marc Marquez and Dani Pedrosa were hot on his heels, so he kept at it.

15motogp vlc lorenzowins?itokqPS01RKr The checkered flag was a welcome sight for Lorenzo (99), signaling not only the win but the championship as well. Photo Courtesy of MotoGP

“It was difficult and I just wanted to focus on the track, because on the board I couldn’t see so much,” he explained. “So much information I couldn't see in which position that Valentino was. I just imagined that he was in fourth position. So I tried to ride at my best. I believed there was still more laps to the end, when I entered that last corner I saw the checkered flag. When I saw the checkered flag, I say, ‘okay it’s done. It’s mine.’”

That’s because Lorenzo knew the number – seven points – which meant that if Lorenzo won, Rossi needed to finish second. If Lorenzo finished second, Rossi needed to finish third.

15motogp vlc rossi?itokydw0kB2r Valentino Rossi tried his best, but in the end was not enough. Photo Courtesy of Movistar Yamaha

Rossi also gave it his best and rode a superb race, charging from the back of the grid to finish fourth. Unfortunately for the Italian legend, it was too little too late. He was more than 19-seconds adrift of the three Spaniards – Lorenzo, Marquez and Pedrosa – and therefore it was up to them to make a mistake. None of them did. As a result the fan favorite (even at the Spanish Grand Prix) went home five-points shy of his 10th title.

The Italian was not so happy about it and was very critical of the Honda duo, especially Marquez, feeling that they did not try to pass Marquez for the win. Rossi did admit however that he was not as fast as Lorenzo, but that the handicap of starting from the back of the grid hurt his chances of keeping up with the pace.

“First of all, was a strange weekend because I know already that my chances were very, very small,” Rossi said. “Today I wasn’t particularly fast, but is true also with the new tire in the beginning I was in the traffic trying to overtake, so I cannot give my maximum. For sure if I can start in the normal grid position I can try to do something, try to fight with Jorge.”

15motogp repsolhondas vlc?itokEpdohmF5 The battle between Repsol Honda teammates Marc Marquez (93) and Dani Pedrosa (26) ended up hurting their charge at Lorenzo (not pictured). Photo Courtesy of MotoGP

The Honda boys explained that they were not confident with their front tire (something they struggled with all weekend). In the end, their late charge at Lorenzo, like Rossi's, was also too little too late. Battling with each other caused them to lose too much ground on the soon to be crowned World Champion and they had to settle for a spot on the podium.

“Dani arrived, he overtake me. I was impressed by this, but then he go wide, and when he was off line I try to go on the inside to try and catch Jorge again” Marquez said. “In that situation we lose half a second. The last corners I was close, but not enough to win the race. I was disappointed to not win the race, but in the end I was happy to be on the podium.”

2015 MotoGP Valencia Results:
1. Jorge Lorenzo (SPA) Movistar Yamaha
2. Marc Marquez (SPA) Repsol Honda
3. Dani Pedrosa (SPA) Repsol Honda
4. Valentino Rossi (ITA) Movistar Yamaha
5. Pol Espargaro (SPA) Monster Yamaha Tech 3
6. Bradley Smith (GBR) Monster Yamaha Tech 3
7. Andrea Dovizioso (ITA) Ducati
8. Aleix Espargaro (SPA) Team Suzuki Ecstar
9. Cal Crutchlow (GBR) LCR Honda
10. Danilo Petrucci (ITA) Octo Pramac Racing Ducati
11. Maverick Vinales (SPA) Team Suzuki Ecstar