MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > News & Media > Motorcycle News & Media > Industry News
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2015, 06:30 PM   #1
NewsBot

Feedback Rating: (0)

Jorge Lorenzo Unstoppable In Qualifying

15motogp lorenzo pole vlc?itokfiLbtAig Jorge Lorenzo schooled the competition with an absolutely brilliant fast lap to break the track record and start on pole for tomorrow's battle for the championship in Valencia, Spain. Photo Courtesy of Movistar Yamaha

Jorge Lorenzo rose to the occasion in the final MotoGP qualifying session of 2015 in Valencia, Spain. It was self-admittedly the Movistar Yamaha rider’s best qualifying performance of his career. With just under five minutes left of the session, Lorenzo threw down a 1:30.011, breaking the track record.

"The most important [pole position] and I think my best lap in all my life,” Lorenzo said. “When I saw 30.0 I couldn’t believe. Unbelievable. I just made perfect braking, perfect accelerations. I just picked up the bike so well and there was so much traction. So I think if I tried repeating 50 times or 100 times I couldn’t do this lap time. Very happy with pole position.”

15motogp vlc rossi qual?itokMnG2b1p9 On the flip side, Valentino Rossi's qualifying session didn't go so well. Photo Courtesy of Movistar Yamaha

In contrast, his teammate/rival Valentino Rossi crashed out in the final moments of the session, qualifying 12th. In the end, Rossi’s grid position was already set at the back – a result of his penalty from his actions in Sepang – so he spent his time preparing his bike set-up for tomorrow’s attempt to charge from the back of pack to salvage his championship.

“I suffered more than I expect because with more temperature I suffered more with the tires. In the morning everything is more easy, in the afternoon I struggle more,” Rossi said. "We decided for the qualifying to try another modify, but unfortunately it did not work, I did not like. So we decide for the second tire to go back to normal setting. Was a good lap after the session two, but anyway I crashed.

“This doesn’t change anything for tomorrow because I have to start from last. For sure we hope Jorge don’t do the pole position and that the Honda’s are stronger, but Jorge was faster. Anyway, for us is impossible to understand what will happen in the race in the front. We have just to concentrate on us and try to improve the setting.”

It's clearly not going to be easy, so Rossi will have to go all in and hope for the best.

“The situation is quite desperate,” Rossi said. “Is very, very difficult. I have just to try the maximum and try to do a great race from beginning to end and see what happens. It don’t depend on just us unfortunately.”

15motogp marquez vlc qual?itokizBzSnmr Will Marc Marquez help Rossi by taking the win in tomorrow's race?

Joining Lorenzo on the front row are Repsol Honda’s Marc Marquez and Dani Pedrosa. One thing’s for sure Rossi needs their help. But will he get it? Add to the fact that things haven't been exactly friendly between Marquez and Rossi of late, the Hondas are suffering from front tire issues.

Will Rossi ask for their help? “Yes, for sure,” he said with a laugh. What a difference two weeks makes...

The atmosphere at the track for the qualifying session was electric, with the stands nearly full and lots of chants in favor of Rossi. The anticipation is high. We will soon find out who holds up to the pressure and who ends up with the crown.

2015 MotoGP Valencia Day Qualifying Results:
  1. Jorge Lorenzo (SPA) Movistar Yamaha 1:30.011
  2. Marc Marquez (SPA) Repsol Honda 1:30.499
  3. Dani Pedrosa (SPA) Repsol Honda 1:30.516
  4. Aleix Espargaro (SPA) Team Suzuki Ecstar 1:30.917
  5. Cal Crutchlow (GBR) LCR Honda 1:30.948
  6. Bradley Smith (GBR) Monster Yamaha Tech 3 1:31.012
  7. Andrea Iannone (ITA) Ducati 1:31.056
  8. Pol Espargaro (SPA) Monster Yamaha Tech 3 1:31.080
  9. Andrea Dovizioso (ITA) Ducati 1:31.245
  10. Danilo Petrucci (ITA) Octo Pramac Racing Ducati 1:31.292
  11. Maverick Vinales (SPA) Team Suzuki Ecstar 1:31.340