Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2015, 10:33 AM   #1
Objective Observer
Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

2014 1190RX

2013 Ninja 300
2012 636 (sold)
2012 Diavel (sold)

Member Garage

Realistic Goals for the Rookie Novice Race Season?

To all the racers out there experts and novices completing their first season; looking back what would be some realistic goals you would encourage next yearís Pro Novís to set for themselves so as to manage their expectations while also stretching themselves to improve. Iím pretty sure going out and scoring a podium every race in your first season is a somewhat unrealistic goal for persons of average talent and intelligence. By the same token I know the top 3 or 4 guys in the novice classes tend to move out of their class via promotion to expert. So would seeking a top ten finish in oneís class be among the realistic goals for the season. Goals akin to:

1. Survive first race weekend without crashing
2. Loose Prov Nov jersey
3 Participate in 75% of the races for my class
4. Score at least one top 10 finish
5. Survive season without crashing (hard enough to sustain serious injury or destroy bike)
Ect ect..

What are realistic are some basic achievable yet stretch goals for your average rookie novice? After this really good article, I am seriously about campaigning the EBR in maybe Formula 40 HW, HW Twins, Superstock, Solo 30 or even Superbike Classes next year and based on my current lap times at various tracks, I am quite confident I would be a seriously legit contender to claim the DL finisher award every race LOL. But that just means I can also contend for the Most Improved Racer award as well. Do you guys even set goals for the season? If so what are they.
Classax is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
#787 CMRA TWS (Texas World Speedway) F1 Novice/Rookie Expert Race 19 Round 2 r6racer Taking it to the Track 2 03-30-2015 10:13 AM
lets set academic goals by race! RACER X The Circus 42 10-16-2012 12:23 PM
Old 11-02-2015, 10:55 AM   #2

Experience: 2 years

2010 CRF450R
2014 Honda Grom
2015 KTM 250xc

As far as finishing place, I would say doing top 10 will be a good goal. If the class barely has 10 entrants switch to top 5.

If you are going to race your EBR you need to convert it to track only and mount your preferred brand of slicks. Id do it sooner than later and get a few track days on the slicks.
ArkansasDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 12:27 PM   #3

Experience: 10+ years

99 SV650 (race)x2
79 XS650
08 EX250R (race)
14 MSX125
88 YSR (race)

The last thing you need to worry about is the yellow shirt. Ride however you feel comfortable. Bashing bars at the front, or simply circulating at the back. Your call. Regardless of your pace, you will always find someone to race with.

Go out and have fun. You will meet loads of new people. Many of them will become lifelong friends.

At the end of the day, it is club racing...
Purple Helmets Endurance Team
wiayeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 11-02-2015, 12:51 PM   #4
Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 1

07 yamaha R6

Some Prov novs come out and win, but it's rare. You just need to focus on the fun, and improving your ability. I don't know your pace at all, and you seem level headed so maybe this won't apply to you.

Buttt...I've seen plenty Prov novs go from level 2 champ, take license course and get the scared out of them in Friday practice bc the pace difference is substantial even from a level 3 pace. Just settle in and learn,
Ridesmart Motorcycle School
chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 11-02-2015, 01:01 PM   #5

Experience: 2 years

2009 CBR1000
2008 R6
KX65 - minitard

This was my first season sprint racing. Before this year I had only done track days at msrh and TWS (Texas World Speedway). It's been a blast to experience the different tracks that we race at. I still missed the cresson rounds but there's next year for sure. As far as goals, I set mine going into each weekend. Most of them were lap time based, as I just wanted to get familiar with the tracks and always continue to improve. There's a good group of guys that are mid pack novices that know the tracks and have tons of seat time. Just latch on to them and keep up as best you can.
The rest of your goals are good. Bottom line is to enjoy it and make it home safe to your friends and family.
LoudDowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 11-02-2015, 01:12 PM   #6
Chuck my Norris

Experience: 7 years

'09 R1 (track)
'07 gixxer 750 (RIP)
'05 Honda "Fiddy"

What he said. Same goals from track days apply to your first year of racing. Have fun; don't crash!
Wawazat?! is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post: