MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

View Poll Results: For Beginners the debate on to go under 600 or right at 600 is a problem, what size was your first s
Under 600 7 17.95%
600 22 56.41%
600 + 10 25.64%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2005, 07:14 PM   #41
JoeRider

Member Garage

Re: First Bike Size

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0
It doesn't really matter if you respect the power or not.* I'd wager that most new riders don't get up from laying their bike down and think "If I had only respected the power, this wouldn't have happened."* In panic situations all you're trying to do is not die.* Having an immensely powerful motorcycle with really grabby brakes is counter to this purpose.* Basically any panic action a squid is going to make is going to be overexaggerated by the high performance nature of the bike, and cause more problems.
+1 good point

I know that people will get the bike they want....the real mature decision is not getting that cool bike as your first bike. So all this stuff about maturity and respect is bullshit and an excuse to justify you showing up with an R1. The part you'll realize later (if you make it to "later") is that you would have had so much more fun, confidence, and skill starting with a beginner bike instead of riding with the feeling of "oh am I gonna kill myself" or the opposite feeling of "I've tested the power, I can handle it" with that full out race bike. More importantly, you don't need anyone's advice here about what's right and wrong which you seem to continue to seek.
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Free-- New Shimano Mountain Bike Shoes Size 13 maxgs Off Topic 11 01-06-2014 11:58 AM
size of bike through vin? J_2119 General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 05-07-2011 10:51 AM
size me up ... coby General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 06-21-2010 05:49 PM
Loading bike in Full Size 4x4 truck? Gisi 600rr How To's and Q & A's 26 04-17-2008 01:45 PM
what size sport bike would i be able to handle with my riding experience 74 rat bug General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 09-20-2005 05:44 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-05-2005, 08:51 PM   #42
mswistak14

Member Garage

well Im gonna do what Im gonna do like everyone else in this world.....but I can promise you that it for sure isnt an R1. I just want to give insight to anyone else looking to ride because this seems to be one of the biggest debates in the rider world, I just wanted to see both sides of the arguement.
Old 07-06-2005, 04:20 AM   #43
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer

This isn't really a debate at all in the rider world. Its a debate betwen riders and non-riders who have no idea what buying a sportbike is really getting themselves into.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 10:58 AM   #44
PORSCHITO

Feedback Rating: (1)

Send a message via AIM to PORSCHITO Send a message via Yahoo to PORSCHITO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswistak14
well Im gonna do what Im gonna do like everyone else in this world.....but I can promise you that it for sure isnt an R1. I just want to give insight to anyone else looking to ride because this seems to be one of the biggest debates in the rider world, I just wanted to see both sides of the arguement.
no R1 !!!! bummmer
PORSCHITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 11:55 AM   #45
mswistak14

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PORSCHITO
Quote:
no R1* !!!!* bummmer
actually I doubt I'll even go with a R6, I rode my boss's and didnt really like the way it sat......but when I rode the F4i, I really liked it, GSXR as well.....and I havent rode a ZX6-R but when I sat on it I felt extreemly far away from the bars.....no bueno
Old 07-08-2005, 08:56 PM   #46
P-Ratt

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
FZ1

My 1st bike was a 1995 Ninja 250. Long time ago. I am definitley glad to have started out that way for many of the reasons already listed. I got into enough trouble without having the extra 100hp. There was a lot I needed to learn about bike handling and going down the road. I kept that bike for 2 years and 17k miles. It didn't have a chance in the straights, but it was very fun to corner on as corner speeds needed to be kept up.
P-Ratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 11:17 PM   #47
Capafool
QuePaso Racing

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
'01 Gixxer 1k (Track)
'10 Duc 848 (Street)
'05 Drz-110 (Tarded)

Send a message via AIM to Capafool Send a message via MSN to Capafool

I think the question we should ask here is What CC is your bike and how many wrecks have you had?
CMRA Sprints #486
TMGP Endurance #46
"Scientists discover the world that exists; Engineers create the world that never was."
Capafool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 07:30 AM   #48
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer

Its not necessarily the CC. All R bikes are bad first bike choices. 600's are just a little more managable because they don't have the torque that larger bikes have.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 08:02 AM   #49
UrMyStlkAl

Bike(s):
93 CBR F2 600

Send a message via AIM to UrMyStlkAl Send a message via MSN to UrMyStlkAl Send a message via Yahoo to UrMyStlkAl

Well my first bike that I bought (but still haven't ridden) is a 93 CBR 600 F2. I didn't buy it cuz it was a 600 though just so I can say I have a cooler bike. It just happened to be cheap and the price I wanted to pay, it was about the money not the bike.
UrMyStlkAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 10:00 AM   #50
dotcom
*** PUBLIC RELATIONS ***

Bike(s):
01 Yamaha R6, 125 BBB mini

Send a message via AIM to dotcom Send a message via MSN to dotcom Send a message via Yahoo to dotcom

mabye poorshito should take a hint and do some reading on this thread.... what a ...mabye there is a reason everyones first bike is not a liter bike...

but then again, people who get 1000's for their first bike must be smarter than all of us

www.myspace.com/motohouston
dotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 10:01 AM   #51
dotcom
*** PUBLIC RELATIONS ***

Bike(s):

Send a message via AIM to dotcom Send a message via MSN to dotcom Send a message via Yahoo to dotcom

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0
Its not necessarily the CC.* All R bikes are bad first bike choices.* 600's are just a little more managable because they don't have the torque that larger bikes have.
thats true.. they are full on race bikes.. i have been riding for years and my first street bike was an R, but then again, i also have the experience

Old 07-14-2005, 10:08 AM   #52
KalmarJoe
Cstoum Uesr Tltie

Bike(s):
05 Zx-12r

125cc Honda dirtbike
MH Insomniac #001
zx12r20banner
KalmarJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 06:44 PM   #53
Capafool
QuePaso Racing

Bike(s):
'01 Gixxer 1k (Track)
'10 Duc 848 (Street)
'05 Drz-110 (Tarded)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotcom
but then again, people who get 1000's for their first bike must be smarter than all of us
This is not true. The bike I have now was my first ever and im still riding it and in one piece and in very good condition I may add. I ride a '01 gixxer 1000. I know plenty of guys on 600s that have had accidents left and right. I consider myself smarter than a lot of people, but not the smartest person in the world either. Im doin just fine in life so I must be doin somethin right right:
CMRA Sprints #486
TMGP Endurance #46
"Scientists discover the world that exists; Engineers create the world that never was."
Old 07-14-2005, 06:48 PM   #54
PORSCHITO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capafool
Quote:
This is not true. The bike I have now was my first ever and im still riding it and in one piece and in very good condition I may add. I ride a '01 gixxer 1000. I know plenty of guys on 600s that have had accidents left and right. I consider myself smarter than a lot of people, but not the smartest person in the world either. Im doin just fine in life so I must be doin somethin right right:
i got ur back capafool ...
Old 07-14-2005, 06:52 PM   #55
Capafool
QuePaso Racing

Bike(s):
'01 Gixxer 1k (Track)
'10 Duc 848 (Street)
'05 Drz-110 (Tarded)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PORSCHITO
Quote:
Quote:
i got ur back capafool ...
CMRA Sprints #486
TMGP Endurance #46
Old 07-14-2005, 07:03 PM   #56
PORSCHITO

actually look at* the voting, more people are voting for more 600+ then -600

+ the same guys (when they work in a dealership) try to put u one the biggest bike ... i wonder why lol
Old 07-15-2005, 12:29 AM   #57
linjy2

Bike(s):
02 SV650S
08 WR250X
08 CBR600RR

Send a message via AIM to linjy2

Quote:
JoeRider.....what do you think about beginners having a 600cc......just as long as they dont ride like a jackass they will be fine?
everyone rides like a jackass the first time they get the bike. almost everyone.

People say i'll take it easy cause its my first bike, yadda yadda. one week in they are all breaking the speed limit and few months in lanesplitting and what not. then it hits them that motorcycling is not a game and to take it easy. some may take a crashing to learn some may not.

anyways take it easy, i only met 2 bikers out of the many that were scared of their r6 as a first bike. both already got out of the game within a year riding because it didnt suit them. maybe if they started smaller they wouldnt have been scared, but who knows.
linjy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 08:23 AM   #58
dotcom
*** PUBLIC RELATIONS ***

Bike(s):

Quote:
Quote:
This is not true.* The bike I have now was my first ever and im still riding it and in one piece and in very good condition I may add.* I ride a '01 gixxer 1000.* I know plenty of guys on 600s that have had accidents left and right.* I consider myself smarter than a lot of people, but not the smartest person in the world either.* Im doin just fine in life so I must be doin somethin right* right:
also remember this is the guy saying "it's nearly impossible to crash" and "i will never crash"

Advertisement