MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

View Poll Results: For Beginners the debate on to go under 600 or right at 600 is a problem, what size was your first s
Under 600 7 17.95%
600 22 56.41%
600 + 10 25.64%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2005, 02:13 AM   #21
flip326
No likey, no bikey

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
'07 GSXR-750 (sold)
'05 zx6r Monster (sold)
'03 600rr track (sold)
'04 600rr Eurobet (sold)
'05 gsxr 600 (sold)

Re: First Bike Size

ninja 500...got bored after 4000 miles, but it was good to learn on.
Free-- New Shimano Mountain Bike Shoes Size 13 maxgs Off Topic 11 01-06-2014 11:58 AM
size of bike through vin? J_2119 General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 05-07-2011 10:51 AM
size me up ... coby General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 06-21-2010 05:49 PM
Loading bike in Full Size 4x4 truck? Gisi 600rr How To's and Q & A's 26 04-17-2008 01:45 PM
what size sport bike would i be able to handle with my riding experience 74 rat bug General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 09-20-2005 05:44 PM
Advertisement
Old 07-03-2005, 02:38 AM   #22
st3ph3n

Listen to Chris, he's had experiance. Get you a 500 for a little while and turn around and sell it. There's plenty of people on the site that are more than willing to work with you. :icon_smile:
st3ph3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 10:22 AM   #23
Stone_618

Bike(s):
'03 ZX6R 636

Send a message via AIM to Stone_618 Send a message via MSN to Stone_618

my first bike ever was an ex500, after a year of riding, i upgraded to a brand new '03 636. i feel like this bike is plenty for me right now, but i can see some points were i might want a bigger engine bike, but thats not for a long long time. i want to completely master the 600 before i start anything more.
Old 07-03-2005, 10:58 AM   #24
Zapata
a.k.a Dos Equis

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'13 Victory Cross Country
'13 Victory Judge

Member Garage

Mistake...!!!! I vote for 600+ but mine is NOT a sportbike...!!! Sorry for the error.
Zapata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 12:06 PM   #25
mswistak14

Member Garage

well I apprechiate the truths that are coming out of this, its what I posted it for. Engine size does not bother me......but I want to stay right in the middle (600)......I know that with a twist of the wrist it can be all over and actually I am not wanting to start riding for speed, I want it because I grew up riding dirtbikes and always wanted a streetbike. I want to be able to go for long rides on the seawall early in the morning, or do 146 up to Keemah.....or just go to meets, have people to chill with. I moved to Texas for college and focused on my education so much that I didnt pay attention to the things that I want to do, ride.
Old 07-03-2005, 05:03 PM   #26
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer

If you want it for long rides anywhere you best start looking at something other than a sportbike. No matter how used to it you are, sportbikes are never comfortable.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 05:21 PM   #27
mswistak14

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0
If you want it for long rides anywhere you best start looking at something other than a sportbike.* No matter how used to it you are, sportbikes are never comfortable.
well let me re-phrase what I was trying to say, sportbikes have always interested me because of their ability/style/riders.......I cannot stand to see harley riders that take over the road.....must be the youth in me
Old 07-03-2005, 09:21 PM   #28
JoeRider

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswistak14
Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0
If you want it for long rides anywhere you best start looking at something other than a sportbike.* No matter how used to it you are, sportbikes are never comfortable.
well let me re-phrase what I was trying to say, sportbikes have always interested me because of their ability/style/riders.......I cannot stand to see harley riders that take over the road.....must be the youth in me
I must still be too young then... :eh: :dontknow:

:laughing6:

Just like with any type of group...there will always be the rude ones. Most all of the motorcycle enthusiasts I've met have been real friendly.
Old 07-04-2005, 12:13 AM   #29
05ravenr6

Send a message via AIM to 05ravenr6 Send a message via MSN to 05ravenr6 Send a message via Yahoo to 05ravenr6

05 r6..first bike..had for 5 months..down once unfortunately due to gravel on turn

97 Camaro Z28-Fully built LT1-150 Shot=580hp-good enough for now
05ravenr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 02:36 AM   #30
Capafool
QuePaso Racing

Bike(s):
'01 Gixxer 1k (Track)
'10 Duc 848 (Street)
'05 Drz-110 (Tarded)

Send a message via AIM to Capafool Send a message via MSN to Capafool

01 gsxr-1k. and still ridin it. I actually took my CMRA race and are goin to be racing at the end of the month. The way I see it is get whatever YOU want. if you're responsible and have some sense you should be able to get anything you want/can afford and be just as safe than getting a slower bike. Ive had 2 minor wrecks and one of them I was hit from behind so it wasnt my fault. The other I just took a turn to quick back when I was a noob and hopped the curb, but that could happen even on a 250.
CMRA Sprints #486
TMGP Endurance #46
"Scientists discover the world that exists; Engineers create the world that never was."
Capafool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 08:54 AM   #31
PB125

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2008 Suzuki GSXR 750
2002 Suzuki SV650

First "Sportbike" can't really be called a true sportbike. Mine was my 03 FZ1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bueller View Post
they say you drive like a mad man
PB125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 09:32 AM   #32
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer

Quote:

I'm just trying to warn you. The riding position on a sportbike is definetly something that takes getting used to. Evern when you ARE used to it, long rides (1+ hours) will still get uncomfortable. If you've never been on a motorcycle, but are interested in sport riding, a good bike to look at might be a suzuki SV650. The riding position is a little less severe than a GSXR which will aid in learning, but the bike will still be fun in the twisties. Most people want a full on R bike for their first bike for the look, and you can make an SV do that. The SV650S comes with a half fairing, and several aftermarket manufacturer's make lower fairings for it. If I had to start again, I'd probably buy the SV.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Old 07-04-2005, 09:57 AM   #33
Stone_618

Bike(s):
'03 ZX6R 636

Send a message via AIM to Stone_618 Send a message via MSN to Stone_618

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capafool
The other I just took a turn to quick back when I was a noob and hopped the curb, but that could happen even on a 250.
exactly, that happened to me on my 500.
Old 07-04-2005, 10:16 AM   #34
mswistak14

Member Garage

no I know sportbikes are not comfortable......the F3 I rode for about 2 months wasnt that comfortable at all because after about a week I started to go on longer rides 1+ hrs.......really begins to suck, but I want a sportbike....and I have taken into consideration the SV
Old 07-04-2005, 12:46 PM   #35
j3oomerang

Send a message via AIM to j3oomerang

are there alot of noobs that get into wrecks because the bike was too powerful? i mean almost any wreck could also happen on a 250cc. so why is it that people recommend smaller bikes? i guess its cheaper to fall on a 250cc.
j3oomerang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 01:18 PM   #36
Capafool
QuePaso Racing

Bike(s):
'01 Gixxer 1k (Track)
'10 Duc 848 (Street)
'05 Drz-110 (Tarded)

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3oomerang
are there alot of noobs that get into wrecks because the bike was too powerful? i mean almost any wreck could also happen on a 250cc. so why is it that people recommend* smaller bikes? i guess its cheaper to fall on a 250cc.
it's all about statistics.* More people than not tend to get into more trouble with a bigger bike.* So with that said, people recommend smaller bikes.* BUT, IF you have some common sense and aren't part of those stats, it really wouldnt matter what CC bike you ride.* So if you personally think you're responsible enough to get a bigger bike, then to what everyone says about getting a smaller bike, GET WHAT YOU WANT!* .* Like I said Ive had only a small wreck on mine where I hopped a curb, but that could have happened on any CC bike, and Stone_618 confirmed that for me.* right:.

And I dont think its about cost really.. I think it costs just as much to fix a gsxr600 than it costs to fix a gsxr1k. you can even use some parts from one and put on the other.
CMRA Sprints #486
TMGP Endurance #46
"Scientists discover the world that exists; Engineers create the world that never was."
Old 07-04-2005, 02:19 PM   #37
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Everything on a bigger (and newer) bike is exaggerated. A small mistake like blipping the throttle on a 250 would result in a small surge in power. That same small blip may pull the front tire on a litrebike. Same with brakes, grabbing too much brake on a 1k may endo or cut the rear loose, but because the brakes are a little weaker on a 500 you won't do these.

CMRA #302
Old 07-04-2005, 11:28 PM   #38
mswistak14

Member Garage

I guess it all depends on the "maturity" level of the rider and their respect for the bike. I remember when I first started riding dirtbikes and I gained full knowledge of what a power band was haha! Needless to say I was on my back in a split second, so I respect the even more powerful engine of a CBR/R6/GSX-R etc..... simply because you have to respect the bike or your dead!
Old 07-05-2005, 12:32 AM   #39
Capafool
QuePaso Racing

Bike(s):
'01 Gixxer 1k (Track)
'10 Duc 848 (Street)
'05 Drz-110 (Tarded)

Quote:
I guess it all depends on the "maturity" level of the rider and their respect for the bike. I remember when I first started riding dirtbikes and I gained full knowledge of what a power band was haha! Needless to say I was on my back in a split second, so I respect the even more powerful engine of a CBR/R6/GSX-R etc..... simply because you have to respect the bike or your dead!
:iamwithstupid: exactly! I see someone sees the picture!! right:
CMRA Sprints #486
TMGP Endurance #46
Old 07-05-2005, 07:37 AM   #40
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

It doesn't really matter if you respect the power or not. I'd wager that most new riders don't get up from laying their bike down and think "If I had only respected the power, this wouldn't have happened." In panic situations all you're trying to do is not die. Having an immensely powerful motorcycle with really grabby brakes is counter to this purpose. Basically any panic action a squid is going to make is going to be overexaggerated by the high performance nature of the bike, and cause more problems.

CMRA #302

Advertisement