MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2007, 01:39 PM   #21
hardcoresteve
Hero since birth

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2007 R6s
1983 FS50 moped

Send a message via AIM to hardcoresteve
oh and another thing. a religious private school, you are required to take religious courses and tought from their perspective. however the bible credits do not transfer to other highschools and even some universities so your kids will be stuck going to religious colleges. i had that problem in high school. i transfered in 10th grade and the bible credits didnt count so i had to do summer school and take extra courses instead of electives...
hardcoresteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apparently school rules reach to your private property TigerGenetics The Circus 151 09-27-2013 08:13 AM
Please send this message to everyone you know that has kids who are going to be going ekfraz Off Topic 8 10-31-2008 11:00 AM
Anyone's kids start school today? TxBritt08R1 Off Topic 33 08-29-2007 08:15 AM
Advertisement
Old 07-11-2007, 01:47 PM   #22
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

At Catholic school, the only differences I experienced were that we had to attend mass once a month and we had to take one semester of Intro to Theology - which was actually a pretty interesting class.

We weren't taught creationism in biology class or anything.

In some parochial schools (like Pius) they segregate girls and boys into two different schools. F that. Schools already boring enough with chicks to look at. I'd never subject my kids to that.

Granted there are a lot of kids in private school who are there because they got kicked out of pub school, but I'd imagine they are the minority.

I'd send my kids to private school before I let them go to pub school in say, la Marque, but some public districts have great schools.

Also, some are very expensive, and if you have to sacrifice a steady homelife in order to put in the hours to be able to afford private school, then you may be missing the point altogether.

Fat Freddy says, "Busas are for posing!"
cashtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 01:50 PM   #23
hardcoresteve
Hero since birth

Bike(s):
2007 R6s
1983 FS50 moped

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashtown
At Catholic school, the only differences I experienced were that we had to attend mass once a month and we had to take one semester of Intro to Theology - which was actually a pretty interesting class.

We weren't taught creationism in biology class or anything.

In some parochial schools (like Pius) they segregate girls and boys into two different schools. F that. Schools already boring enough with chicks to look at. I'd never subject my kids to that.

Granted there are a lot of kids in private school who are there because they got kicked out of pub school, but I'd imagine they are the minority.

I'd send my kids to private school before I let them go to pub school in say, la Marque, but some public districts have great schools.

Also, some are very expensive, and if you have to sacrifice a steady homelife in order to put in the hours to be able to afford private school, then you may be missing the point altogether.
we were forced to go to chapel every wed morning:BangHead: and we had a bunch of drug dealers...now half the girls in my 05grad class are preganant or alreadys have kids
Old 07-11-2007, 01:50 PM   #24
PimpRice
TEAM BLT

Feedback Rating: (4)

Send a message via AIM to PimpRice
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardcoresteve
i went to bay area christian academy and it was like 5k a year, the school is on wheels. i went there for 11years and i would hang myself before i went back there. the principals are 's as well as the teachers. in my recent experience private school is no better environmentally. the academics are way harder with excelled learning. but there are some of the worst kids in private school cause some parents see it as a reform school...IMHO

i'm gonna have to agree. the only reason i went to a private school was because i was heading down the "wrong direction"
PimpRice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 01:57 PM   #25
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

Quote:
we were forced to go to chapel every wed morning:BangHead: and we had a bunch of drug dealers...now half the girls in my 05grad class are preganant or alreadys have kids

1. lots of drug dealers

2. easy chicks

3. no class on wed. morning

sounds prety good to me

Fat Freddy says, "Busas are for posing!"
cashtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 02:01 PM   #26
hardcoresteve
Hero since birth

Bike(s):
2007 R6s
1983 FS50 moped

Quote:
1. lots of drug dealers

2. easy chicks

3. no class on wed. morning

sounds prety good to me
lol i dont do drugs, not a big fan. the easy chicks i didnt know about till i grad:BangHead: but i guess the no class thing wasnt so bad
Old 07-11-2007, 02:08 PM   #27
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
I went to both private and public high schools. In my experience the private school was much better at preparing students for university. The staff was better, curriculum was better, materials were better, even the students were better.

When I got into college the kids from private schools always seemed to adapt more readily to the more stringent courseload.

, I'd wager that you get a better education at St. John's High School than you get at a lot of colleges.
I did the same private and public. I didn;t learn a thing in public school(AP classes). In college coasted by w/o studying or attending class.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:51 PM   #28
pester
Black olives matter

Feedback Rating: (12)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2007 yamaha fz6
1998 yamaha wr 400 motard

Member Garage

Quote:
i went to bay area christian academy and it was like 5k a year, the school is on wheels. i went there for 11years and i would hang myself before i went back there. the principals are 's as well as the teachers. in my recent experience private school is no better environmentally. the academics are way harder with excelled learning. but there are some of the worst kids in private school cause some parents see it as a reform school...IMHO
yeah no wonder u ended up like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sickGixxer View Post
nevermind ima bumbass and ill get my wife 2 do it 2nite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyt915 View Post
I know enough Spanish to stick you with a knife cabron
pester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 09:45 PM   #29
akestler

Bike(s):
01zx6r yea i know sad

i went to private school (seton catholic) it is on littly york and tidwell and i want to say that is was around 6G per year and i loved it
akestler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 12:02 AM   #30
CalamariKid

Bike(s):
2008 FZ1, 1995 R1100GS, 2008 WR450F

I went to public school through 8th grade. Junior High was a complete waste of time. I then went to Strake Jesuit for High School. It is truly an awesome school which provides a great education and made college a breeze. Teachers were very good and the school is genuinely a community which really cares about the students. Religion was not at all shoved down my throat. I had a lot of friends that went to St. Agnes across the parking lot and it is a very good school as well.

There are good and bad private schools out there, just as there are good and bad public schools. There are plenty of good public schools that will provide a good education in a safe environment. The State puts out a ‘report card’ each year on all the schools and it is fairly easy to do the research so you know what to expect.

Private schools are more difficult to research from a quality point of view. Of course it also depends on what you are looking for as well as your values. You really need to research these schools thoroughly to make sure you will be getting what you are paying for. For instance, if it is a primary or secondary school – where do their graduates end up going to high school? For the high schools, if college is your goal what colleges are the grads getting into? What’s the average SAT score? What percent go onto college? What’s the average scholarship?

If you have a particular high school in mind then you can work backwards. Find out from that high school what the major feeder schools are. For instance St. Vincent’s on Bellaire is a big feeder school for Jesuit.
CalamariKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:40 AM   #31
Paradox

Bike(s):
VT750, CRF450R (For Sale)

I just pulled my daughter out of public high school. She will be attending private school for her last two years. She missed 6 months of the year year before last due to medical reasons. The school would not give her a tutor and she walked in and passed all the finals cold without doing the course work. That sets off big red flags in my book. The new school will cost 600 to 800 per month. Upside is 50% of the graduates have full to large college scholarships at graduation. The top kid last year had a 200k scholarship for the school of his choice.
Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:40 AM   #32
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

which school are you sending her to?
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:50 AM   #33
logan5

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2001 SV 650 (my track ), 2005 SV 650s

Just remember there are the same social problems in a private school as there are in public school, however, the smaller and more intimate nature of private schools do help parents control the situation better.

Someone also mentioned IB (International Bacheloriate), definitely something to look into. I was one of the first in Hawaii to graduate with a full IB certificate and I really enjoyed the experience. If your kids are up to the challenge, IB and AP will do wonders for their college prep.

Anyway, education is just way too important of a task in my opinion to leave to the government ... take it into your own hands (homeschool) or find a good private school that will cater to your needs.... that is of course if you can afford it .... school vouchers anyone?
logan5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement