MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2015, 01:46 AM   #21
RUPNOK

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2010 Triumph Bonneville SE
2007 Ducati GT1000
2010 Triumph Bonneville RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cperez17 View Post
So I'm planning on going to south Texas "the valley", and I'm planning on going on my yamaha R6. The drive is exactly 6hours and 379 miles long. So c'mon biker bros, (or gals) need advice lol. I'm 22, 5'11, and weight 190lbs. I really wanna take the drive on my bike but also when I ride my wrists and shoulders hurt and other parts of my body get sore as well. Idk if riding wrong or technique is off or maybe it's just normal. Well thanks for taking the time to read over this and would love the help.
I did 1300 miles on a GT1000 as my second ride ever. My first ride was from Dallas to Houston on a Bonneville. You'll want to get an airhawk seat pad and a go cruise throttle lock.
RUPNOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
If they at least don't like the idea, maybe this isn't such a bad idea myla296 Off Topic 5 06-23-2013 03:52 PM
Bad idea? newguy2k3 General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 07-02-2012 07:12 PM
Good or bad idea? samv1368 General Discussion (Moto Related) 23 08-14-2008 10:13 PM
just HOW bad of an idea is this...? Detritus General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 06-03-2008 08:09 PM
Its my first semi-long distance ride, any advice guys? ruthlessimage General Discussion (Moto Related) 39 05-31-2007 08:47 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-28-2015, 02:38 AM   #22
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Why would you do such a thing? What a boring ride. If your wrists hurt it means you're placing way too much pressure on the bars. Hold yourself up with your core.
Old 10-28-2015, 04:41 AM   #23
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

take advil and take them in the morn
wear earplugs (should be wearing them now even )

wear bicycling shorts (no undies) under your jeans

ridden to CA, rode from Raleigh NC to Houston, on sport-touring bikes
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 05:54 AM   #24
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

The handle bars are for turning the bike, not for supporting your weight. Try riding with a slight arch in your back so that your head and shoulders are more upright. When you're cruising on the straights, try sitting up, maybe only riding with one hand, try to find a comfortable seating position as opposed to a traditional sport bike riding position.
Bevo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 06:15 AM   #25
Vegas Kid

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
07 R6-sold
12 TTR 50

Go get your bike inspected by a local shop prior to your trip (most will take a quick look for free). Need to make sure it's in good mechanical condition...

Check tire pressure

Great bike, you'll get more used to it to the more you ride....
Vegas Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 08:46 AM   #26
RECIT

I thought this was a decent read.

http://www.averagecarguy.com/5-tips-...ng-moto-trips/

Small breaks along the way are like power naps in the day, maybe 10-15 minutes makes a world of difference in you alertness. Stay away from coffee/5hr energy/redbull. Those things give you a rush and similar crash and that can be dangerous if you are already pushing your self physically and mentally. I've done trips on sport bikes, but you need all the advantage you can get.

Most of all be safe and have fun.
RECIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 10-28-2015, 09:05 AM   #27
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Put a tank bag on it and lay on the bag
Old 10-28-2015, 10:34 AM   #28
x-ray
CMRA #228

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Super Adventure
2007 SV650S (My track toy)
07 CRF230F
2006 VFR800a (sold - covered a lot of miles)
04 Honda 599 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave18 View Post
I would do that on the VFR. With a throttle lock I could almost take a nap!

Another thing I would do if the legs started getting tired was to pull over and stop, walk around the bike twice in each direction, then hop on and take off. I'd be good for another thirty minutes and only spend 1 or 2 minutes total from slowing to getting back up to speed. On the VFR that would do 180-200 miles per tank, i'd usually do it twice between fill-ups.
07 Suzuki SV650s - CMRA #228
x-ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 10-28-2015, 10:42 AM   #29
Nick336

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
06 Speed Triple
08 ZX10R -RIP
03 Z1000 -Sold
02 R6 -Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave18 View Post
Do this. Definitely a nice pad to lay on! Plus its nice to have your wallet, phone, map, gps, whatever right in front of you all the time so you wont be digging in your pockets or backpack every time you need something.
Nick336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 10-28-2015, 11:15 AM   #30
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

You should ride with music. In ear buds will be sufficient. Or get a senna.

Also check out this app

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...tionxl.mandown
Old 10-28-2015, 11:30 AM   #31
atvmxr

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2001 Vulcan 800
CR125
LT500R
TRX250r
ATC350X

Good grief, I drive to valley 2-3 times a year for family - in a cage. doesnt seem like much fun on a bike. cops are bad too. lots of podunk small towns with low speed limits.
atvmxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 11:45 AM   #32
joeburt1
JoeJoe the dancing monkey

Feedback Rating: (3)

1976 Yamaha chappy
TL 1000S

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAU-8 View Post
Back in '92, or '93, I had taken a trip to California to just "pop up" and visit Motorcyclist magazine. I DIDN'T get there. I was on a "standard" Seca II, ( stock was about 48 h.p.) I got as far as Brownsville.. Visited the army base, and turned back, after after a few days visit, returned home. Texas "nothing to see" flat roads will tire you out.

Get some bar riders, or higher mount handlebars.

Take a break after every two hours, or during fill-up.

TRY not to ride at night. Long stretches of road, no streetlights... Riding at 80 or 90 mph.(or more)... I almost got a dear, or coyote. I was riding faster than my reaction time by headlight. (Texas roads, at night feels like riding in an unlit tunnel.)

Ride in the day. Traffic sucks, but at least you know what's going around you. Being tired..Way tired, and night Riding plays tricks on you, even if miliseconds. Know when to pull over, rest stop/hotel/motel etc. (get first floor if possible, bring bike inside your room.)

Carry a basic tool pack, tire plug, and inflator if possible. You NEVER KNOW. ( I actually went with 40 lbs of tools ) to fix anything mechanical.

Drink lots of water.

Drink lots of water.

Drink lots of water.

Speed isn't much the case. Go a Constant pace. Don't worry about time "getting there". Enjoy the ride.

Let someone know where you are at ALL times each time you stop, or use an app, someone can use to follow your trip. I did this "blind", on a whim. Never again by bike, or car, by myself.

I wouldn't pass up doing this on your bike, just have better prepared plan.
I did that trip on my 91 GS500E...I was going to my first base at Travis AFB CA...it wasn't horrible, but then again I was only 18 years old (in 1991)..driving through TX sucks...you learn to look forward to seeing the next town just to change the scenery. ..also, not seeing anything will play tricks on you with speed...when you hit that first town after a hundred miles, it will feel like you are flying, not to mention a long straight highway with ur vision
joeburt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 10-28-2015, 11:54 AM   #33
cperez17

Bike(s):
2015 yamaha r6

I'll look into that tank bag and throttle lock, see how much it'll hit my wallet. And yeah if I do go I'll do do stretches, breaks, hydrations, ect. ect.
cperez17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 11:56 AM   #34
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray

Member Garage

Quote:
I'll look into that tank bag and throttle lock, see how much it'll hit my wallet. And yeah if I do go I'll do do stretches, breaks, hydrations, ect. ect.
It can be done if you're in decent riding shape. We often do more than 300 miles in a day on sport bikes, but a direct route is really going to seem long because of the boring straights.
Liked this post:
Old 10-28-2015, 12:02 PM   #35
cperez17

Bike(s):
2015 yamaha r6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
It can be done if you're in decent riding shape. We often do more than 300 miles in a day on sport bikes, but a direct route is really going to seem long because of the boring straights.
I usually drive down to the valley about 2-3 weekends out of the month but in my Chevy cruze, this will be a first for me to drive that far on my bike. When I purchased my bike last month at Victoria I was VERY NEW to riding and never have risen a bike but yet I drove it from Victoria to Houston no problem at night in traffic. Idk well see. . .
cperez17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 12:09 PM   #36
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray

Member Garage

Quote:
I usually drive down to the valley about 2-3 weekends out of the month but in my Chevy cruze, this will be a first for me to drive that far on my bike. When I purchased my bike last month at Victoria I was VERY NEW to riding and never have risen a bike but yet I drove it from Victoria to Houston no problem at night in traffic. Idk well see. . .
I'd take a tire repair kit if I were you. Read and understand the instructions BEFORE you need it.
Liked this post:
Old 10-28-2015, 12:41 PM   #37
Flynjay

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
'07 Ninja 250 (sold)
'06 Ninja 650

You need to get to the point where you are not putting any weight on your wrists. One good way to know when you are there is if you can maintain a straight line while breaking with only one hand on the bars (presumably your right). If you are loading your wrists, the bike will turn.

I've seen people do some mega miles on an R6. YouTube V-Logger "delinquencious" is one.
Flynjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 10-28-2015, 12:47 PM   #38
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
300 miles of twisties? Sign me up on any given weekend. 300 miles in a straight line? You couldn't pay me.
Liked this post:
Old 10-28-2015, 12:48 PM   #39
TMAX
Forever MODERATE

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
TMAX (Retired in California)
Xciting 500
XT 225
Duke 2
C14 & FZ6

Quote:
If you can do it in your car, you should enjoy it more on your bike, Straights or not.

Id rather be on a bike traversing than a car.

It may take a bit longer on a bike, but much more invigorating.
Old 10-28-2015, 03:38 PM   #40
Zapata
a.k.a Dos Equis

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
'13 Victory Cross Country
'13 Victory Judge

Member Garage

Quote:
Yeah I appreciate the advice x-ray, it makes sense now why I'm sore af' because I do put all my weight down on my wrists (handlebars) and explains the hurt. Lol and also explains why my bike is the way it is (very sporty) but I just got it because of looks. It looked like the baddest good looking bike of them all.
Sport bikes for sure look nice and have the latest and greatest engine technology. I have always like them but I will never buy one because honestly they don't belong on the street. You will never use the full potential of a sport bike on the streets. The closest thing to a Sportbike I have owned was a Speed Triple that I adapt Clubman bars. (closest position to clip-ons). I commute every day on the bike and the low position on stop and go traffic was very, very bad. I went back to the stock handlebar.

Check the Yamaha FZ6,
Quote:
".....built around the 2003 YZF-R6 engine. The engine is retuned for more usable midrange power. As a multi-purpose motorcycle it can handle sport riding, touring, and commuting....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_FZ6

Also check this company. They sell handlebar kits to replace the clip-ons. I the money is worth.

https://spieglerusa.com/controls/han...el/yzf-r6.html

z120y079

sb04 r6e

Last edited by Zapata; 10-28-2015 at 03:39 PM. Reason: typos
Zapata is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement