MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Information > Introduction Forum
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2015, 08:44 AM   #21
Nick336
Senior Member
 
Nick336's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: The Woodlands
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 330

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
06 Speed Triple
08 ZX10R -RIP
03 Z1000 -Sold
02 R6 -Sold






Quote:
Originally Posted by McPrahPrah View Post
No problem lol.

Yeah and i know gear will be expensive but that doesn't bother me. You gotta pay to play.

Quick question. Are the Helmets that have bluetooth and intercom really worth it? Im a little skeptical with a HJC helmet that i found for around $200. Whereas shoei's that dont have bluetooth or intercom cost around $400-500.
I had the same feeling when shopping for helmets a few years ago. Im my opinion, Get the helmet you feel most comfortable with, If it doesnt fit perfect, dont buy it. A loose fitting helmet if the last thing you wanna deal with when cruisin down the freeway. I would worry about the Bluetooth later. The shape of your head will determine which helmets you like. I have a slim/oval shaped head. The shoei Qwest and RF1100 Fit me great and i dont regret spending $450-600 on something thats protecting my skull.

As far as the bluetooth goes, i have Sena smh10 installed on both of my lids. Great product. Intercom is a cool feature when riding with a group. My wife can call and check on me whenever she wants. Music isnt crystal clear when playing super loud but IMO not worth complaining about.
Nick336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
fishing holes around southwest Houston Supa Dave Off Topic 2 02-24-2013 10:38 PM
Moto Shop Southwest Houston mvlae General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 08-24-2010 07:46 PM
West - Southwest Houston apartments zampano Off Topic 8 11-20-2007 04:04 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-29-2015, 10:32 AM   #22
McPrahPrah
Member
 
McPrahPrah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 20












Quote:
Originally Posted by proasian3 View Post
Welcome! !! Raised in Alief! Went to Douglas Smith elementary, olle Middle school, then graduated from alief hastings highschool (in 91 ). My folks and cousins still live in the Altimira neighborhood (hwy6 and Bellaire). If you don't wear gear bc you're on a HD don't tell us! Ride safe!
Been in Alief for 23 years now. Graduated from Hastings as well! 08 lol.

Is there a generalization that HD riders don't wear gear? If so, then i will be the odd ball out in the HD scene since ill be wearing full gear at all times. I know how a fall at barely 20mph can screw you up. I used to bomb garages on longboards with buddies all the time. Always wore gear and a full face. Fell off, side scorpioned a concrete pole, hit the soft spot below my rib cage above my hip bone. Couldnt for days and barely walk since that muscle was completely torn.

Oh, and 20mph on a skateboard is no joke. Feels like your going 50mph lol.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaynvius1 View Post
Welcome to MH



Quote:
Originally Posted by flipstyledsm22 View Post
Welcome to MH! The forty eights are nice and handle well!
Something about the forty eights just got me when i first laid eyes on em. The old school sporty/bobber look with lowered handlebars just looks amazing.

I assume a forty eight is fairly comfortable compared to a sport bike? Being that on the HD you arent hunched over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.P View Post
One our members owns a vape shop in S. Houston.
Do you happen to know the name of the shop? I may have stopped by before lol. I like to support local shops.

Last edited by McPrahPrah; 10-29-2015 at 10:35 AM.
McPrahPrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 10:39 AM   #23
McPrahPrah
Member
 
McPrahPrah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 20












Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick336 View Post
I had the same feeling when shopping for helmets a few years ago. Im my opinion, Get the helmet you feel most comfortable with, If it doesnt fit perfect, dont buy it. A loose fitting helmet if the last thing you wanna deal with when cruisin down the freeway. I would worry about the Bluetooth later. The shape of your head will determine which helmets you like. I have a slim/oval shaped head. The shoei Qwest and RF1100 Fit me great and i dont regret spending $450-600 on something thats protecting my skull.

As far as the bluetooth goes, i have Sena smh10 installed on both of my lids. Great product. Intercom is a cool feature when riding with a group. My wife can call and check on me whenever she wants. Music isnt crystal clear when playing super loud but IMO not worth complaining about.
Awesome thanks for the advice! As soon as Repth told me about the Sena and realizing you can add that to any helmet, i was going to get a regular helmet (size it correctly) and worry about adding it later on. Im going to be taking it very slow (even though i have ridden before just fine, just no solid experience) so i wouldnt be doing many group rides at first. Ill be in my neighborhood and huge school parking lot for a good month practicing swerving and emergency braking just so i know how the bike reacts and handles.
McPrahPrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 10:53 AM   #24
Nick336
Senior Member
 
Nick336's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: The Woodlands
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 330

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
06 Speed Triple
08 ZX10R -RIP
03 Z1000 -Sold
02 R6 -Sold






Quote:
Originally Posted by McPrahPrah View Post
Awesome thanks for the advice! As soon as Repth told me about the Sena and realizing you can add that to any helmet, i was going to get a regular helmet (size it correctly) and worry about adding it later on. Im going to be taking it very slow (even though i have ridden before just fine, just no solid experience) so i wouldnt be doing many group rides at first. Ill be in my neighborhood and huge school parking lot for a good month practicing swerving and emergency braking just so i know how the bike reacts and handles.
Good plan. Youll feel confident in no time. Group rides arent such a bad thing. Its all in who you ride with Maybe you have a few friends that ride thatll take it easy with you! riding in pairs is one of my favorite things to do! especially with Sena intercom going. Its the big group rides you want to avoid right now. People dont respect eachothers views of the law.. all that jazz (wednesday night PP1 meet)
Nick336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 11:01 AM   #25
McPrahPrah
Member
 
McPrahPrah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 20












Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick336 View Post
Good plan. Youll feel confident in no time. Group rides arent such a bad thing. Its all in who you ride with Maybe you have a few friends that ride thatll take it easy with you! riding in pairs is one of my favorite things to do! especially with Sena intercom going. Its the big group rides you want to avoid right now. People dont respect eachothers views of the law.. all that jazz (wednesday night PP1 meet)
I do have a buddy that live in my neighborhood who rides. Im sure id ride with him a few times and ask him for tips etc. I think thats the only person i know that has a bike tbh lol.
McPrahPrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 01:46 PM   #26
McPrahPrah
Member
 
McPrahPrah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 20












Ive looking online for pricing on certain sportbikes (cbr500 & 650) and comparing it to the Harley Forty Eight i want to get. The CBR is much cheaper than the Harley and has a much bigger tank capacity. Im not a speed freak and i wouldnt be doing anything stupid on the bike. Im wondering, what would be more comfortable? Would the CBR feel more stable on the highway? Would the CBR be better in terms of handling in case i would need to swerve/emergency brake?

Im 6'1 220lbs and by looking at the Harley, i feel like ill be pretty big for it lol. I remember riding my friends r6 and it was pretty comfortable for my tall .

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
McPrahPrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 01:52 PM   #27
Repth
Keyboard Warrior
 
Repth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Austin
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 3,586

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R









Quote:
Originally Posted by McPrahPrah View Post
Ive looking online for pricing on certain sportbikes (cbr500 & 650) and comparing it to the Harley Forty Eight i want to get. The CBR is much cheaper than the Harley and has a much bigger tank capacity. Im not a speed freak and i wouldnt be doing anything stupid on the bike. Im wondering, what would be more comfortable? Would the CBR feel more stable on the highway? Would the CBR be better in terms of handling in case i would need to swerve/emergency brake?

Im 6'1 220lbs and by looking at the Harley, i feel like ill be pretty big for it lol. I remember riding my friends r6 and it was pretty comfortable for my tall .

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
You'd have to sit on them to know for sure. My best bud is probably like 6'2 and he swears by the ergonomics of his ZZR1200. Perhaps a sport touring kind of bike like that would be right up your alley? Bear in mind you can fix minor ergonomic issues by changing stuff like rearsets. I think it's generally more of the riding position that you have to decide if you like. That's just my $.02
__________________
"I learned long ago never to wrestle with a pig. You end up getting dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
- George Bernard Shaw
Repth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 02:04 PM   #28
McPrahPrah
Member
 
McPrahPrah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 20












Quote:
Originally Posted by Repth View Post
You'd have to sit on them to know for sure. My best bud is probably like 6'2 and he swears by the ergonomics of his ZZR1200. Perhaps a sport touring kind of bike like that would be right up your alley? Bear in mind you can fix minor ergonomic issues by changing stuff like rearsets. I think it's generally more of the riding position that you have to decide if you like. That's just my $.02
Yeah i guess i would have to sit and test ride. Would you think a sportbike will handle and feel more stable than a Harley though? I would like to get something that will make me feel more confident at higher speeds. I absolutely love the 48 but i would hate if it feels sketchy cruising at 60-65mph.


Edit: And the price difference is a big plus haha
McPrahPrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 02:33 PM   #29
Repth
Keyboard Warrior
 
Repth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Austin
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 3,586

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R









Quote:
Originally Posted by McPrahPrah View Post
Yeah i guess i would have to sit and test ride. Would you think a sportbike will handle and feel more stable than a Harley though? I would like to get something that will make me feel more confident at higher speeds. I absolutely love the 48 but i would hate if it feels sketchy cruising at 60-65mph.


Edit: And the price difference is a big plus haha
I don't think that either one of those bikes will feel sketchy at freeway speed, but as far as handling differently... It's kind of like asking if a school bus will feel sketchy cruising at 65mph compared to a Porsche. No, it won't, but that is just one slice of the pie when it comes to how it handles.

I'll put it to you this way... If you decide that you like spirited riding, you can do that on a supersport like an R6 or CBR 600RR, and you can do it on less aggressice variants like a FZ6R or Ninja 650. And you can do it on naked bikes like the FZ-09 and Street Triple. And you can even do it on legitimate sport-touring bikes and even adventure bikes and supermotos. But you can't really do it on cruisers... At least not remotely to the same extent. I'm sure someone will tell me that I'm wrong and you totally can, but it's very unusual and there are better options if that's what you wanna do. You really pigeonhole yourself with a cruiser
__________________
"I learned long ago never to wrestle with a pig. You end up getting dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
- George Bernard Shaw
Repth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 02:46 PM   #30
McPrahPrah
Member
 
McPrahPrah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 20












Quote:
Originally Posted by Repth View Post
I don't think that either one of those bikes will feel sketchy at freeway speed, but as far as handling differently... It's kind of like asking if a school bus will feel sketchy cruising at 65mph compared to a Porsche. No, it won't, but that is just one slice of the pie when it comes to how it handles.

I'll put it to you this way... If you decide that you like spirited riding, you can do that on a supersport like an R6 or CBR 600RR, and you can do it on less aggressice variants like a FZ6R or Ninja 650. And you can do it on naked bikes like the FZ-09 and Street Triple. And you can even do it on legitimate sport-touring bikes and even adventure bikes and supermotos. But you can't really do it on cruisers... At least not remotely to the same extent. I'm sure someone will tell me that I'm wrong and you totally can, but it's very unusual and there are better options if that's what you wanna do. You really pigeonhole yourself with a cruiser
That makes sense and i can see how a Harley would only allow me to do so much. I guess i have some more thinking to do lol.
McPrahPrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:07 PM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy