MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Information > Introduction Forum
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2015, 03:20 PM   #1
McPrahPrah

Feedback Rating: (0)

Soon to be New Rider - Southwest Houston (Alief)

Hi everyone,

My name is Kiani and i will soon have my very own motorcycle! I am super excited and cannot wait to pick up a 2016 Harley Forty Eight for my 26th bday which will be in March. I first got hooked on sportbikes (GSXR, R6, etc) and have actually ridden a friends R6 before. After the first ride around the neighborhood, i knew i would some day own a bike and that day is closing in. I started looking at different styles of motorcycles and quickly discovered a hidden interest in the "Bobber" style. That's when i laid eyes on the Forty Eight and knew it would be something for me.

I will be taking the MSF course that Harley offers prior to my purchase to ensure proper education, training, and safety skills.

A little background info of myself:
-Graduated UH with Bachelors in Computer Information Systems Fall of 2014
-Engaged
-Car Enthusiast
-Active vaper for 5 years (quit the stinkies!)
-PC Gamer (BF4, The Crew, GTA 5, GW2)

Anywho, glad to be here and looking forward to possibly meeting some of you in the future!
McPrahPrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
fishing holes around southwest Houston Supa Dave Off Topic 2 02-24-2013 10:38 PM
Moto Shop Southwest Houston mvlae General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 08-24-2010 07:46 PM
West - Southwest Houston apartments zampano Off Topic 8 11-20-2007 04:04 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-27-2015, 03:28 PM   #2
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Go coogs! I graduated spring '14. Those Forty Eights are about the only Harleys I like. Glad to hear you're taking the MSF. I can't stress enough, ATGATT. All the gear all the time. What part of town are you in?
Liked this post:
Old 10-27-2015, 03:34 PM   #3
Rod
Near Miss Racing Team #96

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
R3 2015
TS185 74
EX250R 2010 "A" race bike
EX250R 2008 "B" race bike
150cc Rocketta Scooter "the "

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repth View Post
ATGATT. All the gear all the time.
Welcome to the forum ^^THIS^^

This here is a sticky thread called (give and take) it's all free.
http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=216439
CMRA#672
Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 03:56 PM   #4
McPrahPrah

Quote:
Go coogs! I graduated spring '14. Those Forty Eights are about the only Harleys I like. Glad to hear you're taking the MSF. I can't stress enough, ATGATT. All the gear all the time. What part of town are you in?
Nice to have a fellow coog here! I have already told myself that if im not geared up, the bike will not move an inch. I had a nasty spill before (longboarding/speedboarding) so i know how much it hurts to fall off something barely going 15-20mph.

Im in the alief area. Bellaire and HWY 6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod View Post
Welcome to the forum ^^THIS^^

This here is a sticky thread called (give and take) it's all free.
http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=216439
Thanks Rod! and yes, as long as im on the bike, i will be wearing all the gear. No question about it. Ill be sure to check out the sticky!
Old 10-27-2015, 04:09 PM   #5
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Just make sure you find gear you like. I spent a lot of money getting geared up but everything fits really well and looks good so I never mind wearing it. If I had cheap junk I would be less inclined.

Edit: sorry I just saw the full title of this thread or I wouldn't have asked where you were located lol
Old 10-27-2015, 04:24 PM   #6
McPrahPrah

Quote:
Just make sure you find gear you like. I spent a lot of money getting geared up but everything fits really well and looks good so I never mind wearing it. If I had cheap junk I would be less inclined.

Edit: sorry I just saw the full title of this thread or I wouldn't have asked where you were located lol
No problem lol.

Yeah and i know gear will be expensive but that doesn't bother me. You gotta pay to play.

Quick question. Are the Helmets that have bluetooth and intercom really worth it? Im a little skeptical with a HJC helmet that i found for around $200. Whereas shoei's that dont have bluetooth or intercom cost around $400-500.
Old 10-27-2015, 04:43 PM   #7
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

In my experience, to the no. I have a Sena 20S and I really like it. Most people I know have the SMH-10. The differences are minimal honestly, but occasionally the 20S does something nice that the SMH-10 wouldn't do. You can mount them on any helmet. I have mine mounted on my HJC RPHA-10. I wanted a helmet that was snell rated and was lightweight and comfortable. The Bluetooth was the last thing I was going to judge a helmet by because it's so easy to add. I don't think I've ever seen a Bluetooth helmet that was snell or ECE rated. I'm not saying they don't make them, but I haven't seen them. I think after a certain point you are paying for branding. I found my HJC to be comparable in durability tests, overall comfort, weight, aesthetics, etc. to Shoei, Arai, etc. that were $150+ more. But note that helmet brands have a "characteristic shape" that they are known for. If you know what shape your head is, it's a Google search away to find a good fitting helmet (just a recommendation of course). If you don't, make sure you try them on before you by. Lastly, make sure you get the right size. People generally go too large I think. I have a small. It was quite snug at first but the foam padding broke in nicely and I can't imagine having a larger helmet. It should be snug on your head, look up some fit guidelines.
Old 10-27-2015, 04:59 PM   #8
McPrahPrah

Quote:
In my experience, to the no. I have a Sena 20S and I really like it. Most people I know have the SMH-10. The differences are minimal honestly, but occasionally the 20S does something nice that the SMH-10 wouldn't do. You can mount them on any helmet. I have mine mounted on my HJC RPHA-10. I wanted a helmet that was snell rated and was lightweight and comfortable. The Bluetooth was the last thing I was going to judge a helmet by because it's so easy to add. I don't think I've ever seen a Bluetooth helmet that was snell or ECE rated. I'm not saying they don't make them, but I haven't seen them. I think after a certain point you are paying for branding. I found my HJC to be comparable in durability tests, overall comfort, weight, aesthetics, etc. to Shoei, Arai, etc. that were $150+ more. But note that helmet brands have a "characteristic shape" that they are known for. If you know what shape your head is, it's a Google search away to find a good fitting helmet (just a recommendation of course). If you don't, make sure you try them on before you by. Lastly, make sure you get the right size. People generally go too large I think. I have a small. It was quite snug at first but the foam padding broke in nicely and I can't imagine having a larger helmet. It should be snug on your head, look up some fit guidelines.
Thanks for the info!

Im not sure my head size so i will have to do some research and test fit before buying anything.
Old 10-27-2015, 05:05 PM   #9
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

FWIW, I have to use earbuds to get any use our of my intercom above freeway speed. Just a heads up. I don't know if other people have this problem but I suspect that because my helmet is lightweight that is why it's so loud in terms of wind noise.
Old 10-27-2015, 05:16 PM   #10
McPrahPrah

Ive also read many reviews about wind noise causing problems. I dont have many friends that ride (yet lol) so an intercom wouldnt be as useful for me, but good to know i can always add it to a helmet that doesn't have any of those features.
Old 10-27-2015, 05:26 PM   #11
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPrahPrah View Post
Ive also read many reviews about wind noise causing problems. I dont have many friends that ride (yet lol) so an intercom wouldnt be as useful for me, but good to know i can always add it to a helmet that doesn't have any of those features.
It's nice to be able to accept a phone call, get directions on the fly, etc. Not features I use on a regular basis but I am always happy to have them when I need them. Usually I will run without the earbuds around town but if I know I'm going on a long spirited ride or have a buddy I want to communicate with, I'll throw in the earbuds. They connect right up to the Bluetooth unit itself and you still use the mic you install into the helmet and all the controls, buttons, etc.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:14 PM   #12
LRD
Kawi Green!

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
05 636
08 250 (Sold)

Always nice to see more Coogs on here. Welcome!
LRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 07:27 PM   #13
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Do you always introduce yourself as an Active Vapor? LOL, seems a bit odd. But, I'm twice your age so you shouldn't expect me to understand. I'm an active vapor too...but its farts in bed. Welcome, get gear, ride sober, be smart, and enjoy the madhouse that is MH.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:09 PM   #14
McPrahPrah

Quote:
It's nice to be able to accept a phone call, get directions on the fly, etc. Not features I use on a regular basis but I am always happy to have them when I need them. Usually I will run without the earbuds around town but if I know I'm going on a long spirited ride or have a buddy I want to communicate with, I'll throw in the earbuds. They connect right up to the Bluetooth unit itself and you still use the mic you install into the helmet and all the controls, buttons, etc.
Yeah, being able to pick up a call and use GPS are the main reasons why i even started looking into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRD View Post
Always nice to see more Coogs on here. Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.P View Post
Do you always introduce yourself as an Active Vapor? LOL, seems a bit odd. But, I'm twice your age so you shouldn't expect me to understand. I'm an active vapor too...but its farts in bed. Welcome, get gear, ride sober, be smart, and enjoy the madhouse that is MH.
Well now that i think of it, it does sound a bit weird lol. Vaping/E Cigs are a big hobby of mine now. Always like to have a chat with a fellow vaper so wanted to see if anyone else on the forums vapes.

Thanks for the advice!
Old 10-27-2015, 10:24 PM   #15
Crossfits
Crossfits

Quote:
I'm an active vapor too...but its farts in bed.

Quote:
Welcome, get gear, ride sober, be smart, and enjoy the madhouse that is MH.
Welcome and yes, get gear!
Old 10-28-2015, 10:22 PM   #16
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

One our members owns a vape shop in S. Houston.
Old 10-28-2015, 10:38 PM   #17
proasian3

Welcome! !! Raised in Alief! Went to Douglas Smith elementary, olle Middle school, then graduated from alief hastings highschool (in 91 ). My folks and cousins still live in the Altimira neighborhood (hwy6 and Bellaire). If you don't wear gear bc you're on a HD don't tell us! Ride safe!
Quote:
Also if you have an entire Sena BT setup in your helmet how do you replace the helmet speakers with ear buds but am still able to use the included mic and Sena unit? It's got proprietary connections. I use a Sena 10c

Last edited by proasian3; 10-28-2015 at 10:41 PM.
proasian3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 07:44 AM   #18
Jaynvius1

Bike(s):
09 Kawasaki Ninja ZX10R
06 Honda CBR 600 RR

Member Garage

Welcome to MH
Jaynvius1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 08:10 AM   #19
flipstyledsm22
Lets go fishing!

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
1994 FLSTC Pro-Street Chopper
1964 Tote Gote
2003 GSXR600 - SOLD
2004 ZX6R - SOLD
1986 VFR750 - SOLD

Send a message via Yahoo to flipstyledsm22
Welcome to MH! The forty eights are nice and handle well!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
I hate perma bans they are sooo...permanent.
flipstyledsm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 08:38 AM   #20
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:
Originally Posted by proasian3 View Post
Welcome! !! Raised in Alief! Went to Douglas Smith elementary, olle Middle school, then graduated from alief hastings highschool (in 91 ). My folks and cousins still live in the Altimira neighborhood (hwy6 and Bellaire). If you don't wear gear bc you're on a HD don't tell us! Ride safe!

Also if you have an entire Sena BT setup in your helmet how do you replace the helmet speakers with ear buds but am still able to use the included mic and Sena unit? It's got proprietary connections. I use a Sena 10c
Not sure about the others but my 20S has a headphone connection on the front of the base. When nothing is connected, it plays through the speakers. When headphones are connected, it feeds audio to the headphones but still utilizes the mic and controls on the Sena.

Advertisement