MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2015, 11:17 AM   #1
ticao

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
04 gsxr 600 (sold)
04 gsxr 600 (sold)
11 Yamaha FZ8 (sold)
2015 Duc Streetfighter 848

First time Ducati owner question.

I just bought a new 2015 Ducati Street Fighter 848, I have couple questions about it.
The dealer told me to ride it easy, not over 5.5k rpm for the first 600 miles, then after the first service i can ride and rev it to the red line.

1.Do i have to wait for it to reach exactly 600 or i can bring it in for first service earlier ? Some say 350 mile is fine, but i dont think it is a good idea.
2. The DTC is now set at level 8, after the break in, if i set DTC to Zero. Does the bike accelerate faster or feel any smoother ? Because it really rough and vibrate while accelerating now .
ticao is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
It has never been a better time to buy a new Ducati Diavel! TMPSW Team Mancuso Powersports SOUTHWEST 3 08-21-2015 08:59 AM
Question about Owner Financing Infinite Off Topic 13 08-26-2011 07:56 AM
anyone ever spent any quality seat time on a ducati superbike? Chubby Racer General Discussion (Moto Related) 71 09-17-2010 10:22 AM
Ducati Desmosedici RR Seeing some track time HoustonGixxer General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 07-19-2008 07:56 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-21-2015, 11:25 AM   #2
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

I'd read and follow the instructions in the owners manual.
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 11:38 AM   #3
ticao

Bike(s):
04 gsxr 600 (sold)
04 gsxr 600 (sold)
11 Yamaha FZ8 (sold)

Thanks Bevo, i will make sure i follow the instruction.
Old 10-21-2015, 01:20 PM   #4
Adamrides

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticao View Post
I just bought a new 2015 Ducati Street Fighter 848, I have couple questions about it.
The dealer told me to ride it easy, not over 5.5k rpm for the first 600 miles, then after the first service i can ride and rev it to the red line.

1.Do i have to wait for it to reach exactly 600 or i can bring it in for first service earlier ? Some say 350 mile is fine, but i dont think it is a good idea.
2. The DTC is now set at level 8, after the break in, if i set DTC to Zero. Does the bike accelerate faster or feel any smoother ? Because it really rough and vibrate while accelerating now .
If the electronics are the same as the other models such as the monster 1200, then the service light will not come on before the 600 mile mark, then you take it in for them to do the service and reset the light. The light will then come on every service interval, can't remember how many miles per interval, 4k maybe?

As far as break in, you can pass 5.5k rpm just do not hold it there for example, accelerating...you hit 6k rpm no big deal just upshift. What they don't want you to do is be in the powerband alot.

You can do a hard break in which means ride it however you like. Many people do that, the bike is under warranty but if you plan on keeping it for a while just enjoy the 600 miles getting to learn your new bike, it goes alot faster than you think. When I got my new bike I did 600 miles in 3 days I just enjoyed being on the bike every chance I got.
Adamrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 01:39 PM   #5
ticao

Bike(s):
04 gsxr 600 (sold)
04 gsxr 600 (sold)
11 Yamaha FZ8 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamrides View Post
If the electronics are the same as the other models such as the monster 1200, then the service light will not come on before the 600 mile mark, then you take it in for them to do the service and reset the light. The light will then come on every service interval, can't remember how many miles per interval, 4k maybe?

As far as break in, you can pass 5.5k rpm just do not hold it there for example, accelerating...you hit 6k rpm no big deal just upshift. What they don't want you to do is be in the powerband alot.

You can do a hard break in which means ride it however you like. Many people do that, the bike is under warranty but if you plan on keeping it for a while just enjoy the 600 miles getting to learn your new bike, it goes alot faster than you think. When I got my new bike I did 600 miles in 3 days I just enjoyed being on the bike every chance I got.
Lol 600 in 3 days ? I hit 200 in 2 weeks :(. Thank you for the input man. What about the rough and vibrate. Will it gone after break in or it is the nature of every Ducati ?
Old 10-21-2015, 01:47 PM   #6
Adamrides

Quote:
Lol 600 in 3 days ? I hit 200 in 2 weeks :(. Thank you for the input man. What about the rough and vibrate. Will it gone after break in or it is the nature of every Ducati ?
It will definitely vibrate way more than an inline 4. low in the rpm on the monster 1200s is rough like below 5k rpm and once you pass 5k it smoothens out and takes off like a rocket, as far as how rough you should be able to tell if something was wrong. I'm sure it's normal it's brand new.
Adamrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 02:01 PM   #7
bob_1

Bike(s):
2006 GSXR 1000

Quote:
I have a 848 EVO, it think the vibration is the nature of Ducati. I had a 600RR and a Suzuki BKing, before the Ducati. I went to the forums after I bought it because I was like there is no way that a bike should vibrate so much. I was wrong. I just got used to it, plus I stay in a lot lower gears and keep the RPMs up. It's more comfortable to ride it fast

I've got lots of parts
bob_1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 02:30 PM   #8
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Some of that shuddering vibration at low rpms is due to lean fueling.
My 1098 streetfighter was terrible from idle to about 3500-4000 rpms then was OK.
I had the ecu reflashed and it made it much smoother in situations like, picking up throttle coming out of a turn. That snatchyness off idle was much better.

I'd wait til after break in to even consider reflashing the ecu.

As far as your break in questions. ...
Just ride it easy, don't worry about exactly 600 miles or exactly 5500rpms. Take it easy, follow the manual, enjoy the ride.
As mentioned, it'll feel like a rocket once you can open it up more. Be careful, it's a serious piece of equipment.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 03:13 PM   #9
ticao

Bike(s):
04 gsxr 600 (sold)
04 gsxr 600 (sold)
11 Yamaha FZ8 (sold)

Thank you for all the reply guys. Im so itching to open throttle on this bike but have to wait lol . By the way, can the 848 keep up with those sport 600cc like Yam R6, Kawa 6R , Gixxer ?
Old 10-21-2015, 03:14 PM   #10
Nick336

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
06 Speed Triple
08 ZX10R -RIP
03 Z1000 -Sold
02 R6 -Sold

Quote:
Thank you for all the reply guys. Im so itching to open throttle on this bike but have to wait lol . By the way, can the 848 keep up with those sport 600cc like Yam R6, Kawa 6R , Gixxer ?
Yes
Nick336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 03:36 PM   #11
urbanXJ
erect engorged member

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2008 Versys

just throwing this out there I'm no mechanic or anything

http://mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
urbanXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 10-21-2015, 04:12 PM   #12
Rttoys
Insurance poor

Bike(s):
99 Ducati 996s
07 Yamaha FZ1
14 Yamaha TW200
13 Kawasaki 300se
08 Ducati Hypermotard

If you ride it soft, it breaks in soft
If you ride it hard, it breaks in hard

let the games begin
Old 10-21-2015, 04:39 PM   #13
ticao

Bike(s):
04 gsxr 600 (sold)
04 gsxr 600 (sold)
11 Yamaha FZ8 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rttoys View Post
If you ride it soft, it breaks in soft
If you ride it hard, it breaks in hard

let the games begin
Break in hard means broken fast ?? Lol
Liked this post:
Old 10-21-2015, 05:11 PM   #14
slim_grizzy

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2007 Triumph Daytona 675
2015 Ducati Scrambler UE
2009 Ducati Monster 696 (sold)

Ducatis are notorious for being a bit rough at low rpms. Part of it is ECU mapping to meet EU emissions testing, part of it's also just the nature of a twin. The engine does mellow out after the first service all the way to about 1500mi or so. But you'll get used to the powerband long before then and figure out that below 4k rpm is not where it wants to be.

Break-in period should be followed until you see a little wrench indicator light come on in the dash. It actually doesn't come on until like 620mi because it calculates the 1000km mark for the service indicator. I'd recommend waiting until that comes on. If you service it before, the light will come back on when you cross the magic number and you'll have to take it back in to clear the light. If you go over the break-in rev limit, you won't blow up the bike but they don't want you pushing too hard. Just ride it up and down the rev range and not just 6k rpm for all 600mi.

Can you do it hard or soft? Yes, but soft is a little less technical and it's covered by the manufacturer. Some race folks with more mechanical know-how than I have recommended hard break-ins for increased performance, but the process is more involved and risky than the manufacturer plan. If you're asking here for info, I'd recommend the soft route.

DTC won't affect your speed, especially during the break-in period. It just affects situations where you would have too much power for traction and induces wheelspin, for example laying on the throttle coming out of a turn. If you want to do burnouts you'll need to turn it off, otherwise for the most part it saves your without interfering with having fun.

Have fun with it. Ducati's are unlike most other bikes so don't be afraid to ask questions. Other ducati specific forums are great places to find info as well, such as ducati.ms. Not sure about any Streetfighter specific boards, but I'm sure there are some out there too.
slim_grizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 07:15 AM   #15
Rttoys
Insurance poor

Bike(s):
99 Ducati 996s
07 Yamaha FZ1
14 Yamaha TW200
13 Kawasaki 300se
08 Ducati Hypermotard

Quote:
Break in hard means broken fast ?? Lol
Nope, not hardly. Well, it's a Ducati, so maybe.
Old 10-22-2015, 10:32 AM   #16
Pachuco
So fly, I need feathers

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
1098s
S4RS
SC1000
999s
996 sps

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Pachuco
Quote:
The question is , do you think you can keep up..
Old 10-22-2015, 10:55 AM   #17
Chris_5.0
HalfFast

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
1999 zx-9r
2005 gsxr 600
xr50r speed demond

Just let me borrow the bike. I will get it up to 600 miles by tomorrow.
Old 10-22-2015, 07:41 PM   #18
ticao

Bike(s):
04 gsxr 600 (sold)
04 gsxr 600 (sold)
11 Yamaha FZ8 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim_grizzy View Post
Ducatis are notorious for being a bit rough at low rpms. Part of it is ECU mapping to meet EU emissions testing, part of it's also just the nature of a twin. The engine does mellow out after the first service all the way to about 1500mi or so. But you'll get used to the powerband long before then and figure out that below 4k rpm is not where it wants to be.

Break-in period should be followed until you see a little wrench indicator light come on in the dash. It actually doesn't come on until like 620mi because it calculates the 1000km mark for the service indicator. I'd recommend waiting until that comes on. If you service it before, the light will come back on when you cross the magic number and you'll have to take it back in to clear the light. If you go over the break-in rev limit, you won't blow up the bike but they don't want you pushing too hard. Just ride it up and down the rev range and not just 6k rpm for all 600mi.

Can you do it hard or soft? Yes, but soft is a little less technical and it's covered by the manufacturer. Some race folks with more mechanical know-how than I have recommended hard break-ins for increased performance, but the process is more involved and risky than the manufacturer plan. If you're asking here for info, I'd recommend the soft route.

DTC won't affect your speed, especially during the break-in period. It just affects situations where you would have too much power for traction and induces wheelspin, for example laying on the throttle coming out of a turn. If you want to do burnouts you'll need to turn it off, otherwise for the most part it saves your without interfering with having fun.

Have fun with it. Ducati's are unlike most other bikes so don't be afraid to ask questions. Other ducati specific forums are great places to find info as well, such as ducati.ms. Not sure about any Streetfighter specific boards, but I'm sure there are some out there too.
Thank you very much for your reply.
Old 10-22-2015, 07:41 PM   #19
ticao

Bike(s):
04 gsxr 600 (sold)
04 gsxr 600 (sold)
11 Yamaha FZ8 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_5.0 View Post
Just let me borrow the bike. I will get it up to 600 miles by tomorrow.
Lol where you go, Dallas then back the same day ?
Old 10-23-2015, 08:26 AM   #20
rhenriksen

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
'07 GSXR-750 (sold)
'07 Bandit 1250
'03 CBR 600 racebike (parting out)
2013 Ducati Streetfighter 848
1984 Honda V65 Sabre (stolen)

First of all, congratulations on a great bike! I bought a used '13 a year ago, and it puts a smile on my face every time I ride it.

It definitely doesn't like small throttle openings at low revs - inconsistent response & stumbling, especially when cold. Some people have gone to a lot of time & expense remapping their way around that; I just adapt my riding style around it. As far as feeling rough/vibration, it's an L-twin. It's a big part of why I bought the bike in the first place: I was tired of the turbine-like I-4 Japanese experience, wanted rumble without the Harley baggage.

The L-twin will smooth out and hum right along happily at 4,500-5,000. That's where I tend to cruise. I have a 1250 Bandit that can be lugged as low as 2,500 without complaint, but even w. that I stay at 3k+. Just need to remap your thinking about what rpm works for this bike vs. your past experiences w. different engines.

Enjoy the new bike!
rhenriksen is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement