MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's.....
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2015, 07:54 PM   #1
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

Enduro race in OK City Oct 18 2015

My second enduro of the year to date, my first race was the Caney Creek enduro held in the Sam Houston National Forest with TSCEC. That went well until I had rear brake failure, I was killing my class on time and, by the end of test section 4 I had over a 5 minute lead on 2nd place, in test section 4 my rear brake decided to stop working completely and in sand, rear brake is a must. From that point I was having trouble everywhere, ended up crashing and going over the bars, I hurt both knees and my braking finger on my right hand. I was out of water, in pain, no longer having fun, and completely exhausted.

With that being said, I had to redeem myself in Oklahoma, I was pumped to ride with new people, on new terrain, in a new territory. The trips group consisted of 7 of us leaving Houston Saturday morning, we had a short time to get 7 hours North so that we could register before it closed at 6 pm. We did a tick or two over the speed limit the whole way, only made one stop, and one stop with 2 women was great. We made it to our race location by 4 and was able to get signed up, but we were spread out from rows 10 through 47 which in hind site, was the best possible scenario. When rowed up with a similar speed friend, you have to decide who goes first and who gets the dust leaving 2nd, so it did work out great with me being the only 40A Sr rider on my row.

I went into the race with hopes that I had my rear brake issue sorted, I even went as far as using Gorilla tape to secure a bottle of brake fluid to my rear fender as a last resort fix. They were ok but not 100% as they quickly started to fade in the first test section, I was bummed about that too and had to ride somewhat slower since we were in sand again. I hated it, and coupled with the fact that we started out with a 10 minute penalty, it almost ruined my day completely but, I pushed through and learned to use a different technique for braking. In my row, I also had a (young) fellow racer, Riley Johnson, 12 or 13 years old riding in the youth class but he's plenty fast and could hang pretty good with the bigger bikes, he's riding an 85 supermini. Having young Riley in front of me helped keep me settled on speed as I couldn't run him over and it helped keep my brakes cool not having to use them as hard as I really needed to. I had quite a few problems and would end up over using my brake to the point where it just wasn't enough to help stop or steer me, I was crashing, maybe a grand total of 20 crashes throughout the day, most of them came in test sections 1-4, effectively slowing me down on time and putting me further back on the roster than I wanted to be.

Test section 4 ended the short course race, I race the long course, normally 55-70 miles long depending on the promoters course layout so we have less than half of the 380 riders that started the day. This was a co sanctioned event between TSCEC (Texas State Enduro Circuit) and BJEC (Black Jack Enduro Circuit) since we were in their territory, their rules prevailed over ours. I do not know how scoring works out for us Texas racers, it's actually still unknown at this point.

I started on row 27C, (the C signifies my row position, C being the middle rider) of 5 riders total on our line at the start of the race, at the end of the short course, there would only be myself and fellow Texas racer Mike Aaronson. I rode the 40A Sr. class and Mike rides the 250A class.

In the very beginning of the race, we first had a 1 mile transfer to the first special test section (Special Test means a section of the course in which we actually race against the clock, the fastest rider wins) in leaving the starting line, we made a fatal mistake and took a wrong turn, leading us on a several mile trail ride that ended us up nowhere near where we needed to be, the race workers quickly told us that we were in the wrong place and directed us to where we needed to be. As we take off, we know we're screwed, we're late and had no idea how far from the start we were. We rode our tails off and after several minutes found the first test section start, we arrived as row 38 was about to take off meaning that we had effectively earned ourselves a 10 minute time penalty. This was devastating to our race results, we were truly bummed and it almost ruined our whole race day (it was the beginning of the race too). Otherwise, I loved the property and terrain, it had a good mix of wide open areas of grass track, single track sections in the woods, rocky stuff, some jumps and some drop offs, all of these are blind to us as we have never ridden the place and this is where most of the local racers had a huge advantage, it's an off road park open to the public so guys are always riding there and have tons of knowledge of what they were riding unlike us Texans.

Anyway, onto some video of the racing action, I personally feel that video at my level is a bit of Jinx to myself, I normally do when videoing my races.

Here is some footage of our Test section #5 of 6 from Sundays race.

More to come so just keep checking back throughout the rest of the week.
CarbonJames is offline   Reply With Quote