MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2015, 04:07 PM   #1
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

When to Move to Level 2

Alright, I've been getting mixed opinions on whether or not I should move up to level 2. Recap from some info in other thread/s: Just did my first track day at MSRH, was running 2:02-2:03 lap times while being way more patient than I wanted to be about passing people, large gaps in closing speed, very casual braking, and short-shifting every straightaway. Race line is intuitive, I understand when and how to pass and be passed. Body position is a little bit of a struggle to me because I'm still trying to find the right way to hook myself onto the bike using my lower body and core, but I'm getting there.

Do I move up to level 2 or stay in level 1, and why? My thought process is that moving up to level 2 will give me more breathing room without having to deal with rolling roadblocks in the turns.
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trade Sunday COTA level 2B for level 3 speedoeffect Taking it to the Track 4 04-30-2013 07:42 PM
No Conspiracy here... Move on.... cedestech The Circus 11 04-29-2013 03:05 PM
Where to move? Guess Who? Off Topic 64 10-27-2009 01:37 PM
When to move on? Ares General Discussion (Moto Related) 42 10-27-2009 12:49 AM
To move or not to move? S_M_J82 Off Topic 14 11-28-2007 11:43 AM
Advertisement
Old 10-20-2015, 04:15 PM   #2
ArkansasDave

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2010 CRF450R
2014 Honda Grom
2015 KTM 250xc

What you also forgot to mention is the instructor that works for the organization and controls who gets bumped up and has actually seen your riding told you to bump up to level 2.

/thread
ArkansasDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 04:17 PM   #3
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasDave View Post
What you also forgot to mention is the instructor that works for the organization and controls who gets bumped up and has actually seen your riding told you to bump up to level 2.

/thread
Yeah, I forgot to include that. To be fair, I asked him what he thought and his words (as close to what he said as I can recall) were "You were on the speed triple? Yeah you were moving, that was definitely level 2 pace, I say go for it. It's not all the time that I get to recommend a first timer to move straight up."

I wouldn't think twice about it except for the number of people telling me not to move up.
Old 10-20-2015, 04:17 PM   #4
Rod
Near Miss Racing Team #96

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
R3 2015
TS185 74
EX250R 2010 "A" race bike
EX250R 2008 "B" race bike
150cc Rocketta Scooter "the "

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repth View Post
running 2:02-2:03 lap times
IMO you are ready for level 2 but it's also the most dangerous level out there...
CMRA#672
Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 04:22 PM   #5
urbanXJ
erect engorged member

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2008 Versys

Well, my .02 is get evaluated by an instructor on lvl 1/1.5 at the next track day.

Imho, I'd rather be getting seat time frustrated I can't pass some folks than sitting at home with an injury and a broken bike.

Sometimes less is more.
urbanXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 10-20-2015, 04:23 PM   #6
urbanXJ
erect engorged member

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2008 Versys

Quote:
Yeah, I forgot to include that. To be fair, I asked him what he thought and his words (as close to what he said as I can recall) were "You were on the speed triple? Yeah you were moving, that was definitely level 2 pace, I say go for it. It's not all the time that I get to recommend a first timer to move straight up."

I wouldn't think twice about it except for the number of people telling me not to move up.
ok, there you go. Move up.
urbanXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 04:31 PM   #7
Schooley
Herpagonnaisyphalitis

Bike(s):
ZX6R

Quote:

/thread
I agree, the person who probably would be able to provide the best answer has already given it.
Schooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 04:32 PM   #8
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod View Post
IMO you are ready for level 2 but it's also the most dangerous level out there...
I would like to get in and out of level 2 as quickly as possible. If < 2 minutes is the minimum for level 3, I don't think I have more than a couple track days before I get there. If I'm way underestimating then you can all laugh at me and call me a noob. I would be willing to bet big money that I would be running < 2 minute laps of it weren't for all the traffic. Like I've said before, my biggest concern is that I am in the right place so that I can learn as much as possible. I do not care about ego, I just want to improve as much as I can. If I have more opportunity to improve my abilities in level 1 then I'd be happy to stay there.
Old 10-20-2015, 04:36 PM   #9
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:
I would like to get in and out of level 2 as quickly as possible. If < 2 minutes is the minimum for level 3, I don't think I have more than a couple track days before I get there. If I'm way underestimating then you can all laugh at me and call me a noob. I would be willing to bet big money that I would be running < 2 minute laps of it weren't for all the traffic. Like I've said before, my biggest concern is that I am in the right place so that I can learn as much as possible. I do not care about ego, I just want to improve as much as I can. If I have more opportunity to improve my abilities in level 1 then I'd be happy to stay there.
I wouldn't suggest L3 for your 3rd or 4th TD. You gotta be REAL comfortable holding your line while being passed inside or out.
dbuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 04:37 PM   #10
ArkansasDave

Bike(s):
2010 CRF450R
2014 Honda Grom
2015 KTM 250xc

Moving to level 3 is more than just the pace as it opens up inside passing and you have people truly going fast. An instructor will evaluate you again when it's time. And when someone that sees your riding tells you to move up then do it. Instead of listening to the all knowing patrons of motohouston.
Old 10-20-2015, 04:43 PM   #11
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuck View Post
I wouldn't suggest L3 for your 3rd or 4th TD. You gotta be REAL comfortable holding your line while being passed inside or out.
Ok, noted. It's not like I would attempt to go from 2 to 3 without again asking an instructor what they thought (I think that you have to be recommended to promote to 3 anyway, unless I'm mistaken). I am really comfortable passing and being passed and riding predictably but I am not in a rush, I just don't want to spend longer than necessary in the meat grinder. Or really more accurately, I want to be in the safest place for me to be, both on my behalf and the behalf of other riders.
Old 10-20-2015, 04:44 PM   #12
Rod

Bike(s):
R3 2015
TS185 74

Quote:
I don't know if they are still doing the ARC classes (Advanced Rider Class) but if they are, you're the perfect candidate for it. It's a small group, riding the level 3 with white shirts to be recognized by the rest. That's the smart way to get use to LV3 where everything is "allowed".
CMRA#672
Old 10-20-2015, 04:47 PM   #13
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:
I don't know if they are still doing the ARC classes (Advanced Rider Class) but if they are, you're the perfect candidate for it. It's a small group, riding the level 3 with white shirts to be recognized by the rest. That's the smart way to get use to LV3 where everything is "allowed".
Oh, that sounds like a good deal for sure. I will definitely inquire about that during my next track day. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 10-20-2015, 04:49 PM   #14
ArkansasDave

Bike(s):
2010 CRF450R
2014 Honda Grom
2015 KTM 250xc

Quote:
They don't, it didn't make them enough money. Only packing grids completely full nets a good profit. Then when level 1 and 2 are full you bump people that aren't ready for level 3 up so you can make room for people that show up day of with cash in hand.

Or whoop got out of the game.
Liked this post:
Old 10-20-2015, 04:53 PM   #15
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:
They don't, it didn't make them enough money. Only packing grids completely full nets a good profit. Then when level 1 and 2 are full you bump people that aren't ready for level 3 up so you can make room for people that show up day of with cash in hand.

Or whoop got out of the game.
Are you sure? I'm almost positive my instructor mentioned it when he was going over the school structure. Maybe he didn't get the memo.
Old 10-20-2015, 04:54 PM   #16
ArkansasDave

Bike(s):
2010 CRF450R
2014 Honda Grom
2015 KTM 250xc

Quote:
Are you sure? I'm almost positive my instructor mentioned it when he was going over the school structure. Maybe he didn't get the memo.
Whoop was who did it and they didn't advertise it in the riders meeting or any level 2 classes like they used to.
Old 10-20-2015, 05:00 PM   #17
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:
Whoop was who did it and they didn't advertise it in the riders meeting or any level 2 classes like they used to.
Oh I see. I'll still bring it up with them and see what they say. It would be cool to be able to bump up to level 3 and wear a jersey just so people would be slightly more cautious about buzzing you with very little clearance. In all honesty I don't mind passing and being passed close, but I have limited experience with inside passing so I might be seriously underestimating it.
Old 10-20-2015, 05:12 PM   #18
Rod

Bike(s):
R3 2015
TS185 74

Quote:
Yes, last guy I knew of doing the ARC classes was Alan (whoop) and Fonseca before him and Brandt Dillon before him and it goes all the way back with Ty...

Quote:
Oh I see. I'll still bring it up with them and see what they say. It would be cool to be able to bump up to level 3 and wear a jersey just so people would be slightly more cautious about buzzing you with very little clearance. In all honesty I don't mind passing and being passed close, but I have limited experience with inside passing so I might be seriously underestimating it.
If they stop doing it, I think it's a shame but just in case email Randy for more info randy@ridesmart.info
CMRA#672
Old 10-20-2015, 05:41 PM   #19
r6racer
track

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
2008 Yamaha R6 Race/track
2012 Yamaha WGP R6
2004 Kawasaki KLx250 2-stroke
2008 Yamaha R6 Street *Sold*
2005 Yamaha R6 Track *Sold*

Member Garage

you got any gopro footage of you riding around the track?
r6racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 05:46 PM   #20
Robbie848

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
Ducati 1198S + GSXR750 Track Bike
Ducati 848
R1
CBR600F3

Quote:
Alright, I've been getting mixed opinions on whether or not I should move up to level 2. Recap from some info in other thread/s: Just did my first track day at MSRH, was running 2:02-2:03 lap times while being way more patient than I wanted to be about passing people, large gaps in closing speed, very casual braking, and short-shifting every straightaway. Race line is intuitive, I understand when and how to pass and be passed. Body position is a little bit of a struggle to me because I'm still trying to find the right way to hook myself onto the bike using my lower body and core, but I'm getting there.

Do I move up to level 2 or stay in level 1, and why? My thought process is that moving up to level 2 will give me more breathing room without having to deal with rolling roadblocks in the turns.
Hi, I was running 2:03 lap times at MSRH on Sunday in lvl2 and was able to pass several riders but still wasn't the fastest out there. So based on lap time only, you'd be fine in lvl2.

However, I've been in lvl2 for a couple of years now and I know what that comes with. I have no desire to race so I'm not bothered about moving up a level but lvl2 does allow me to run at a pace I'm comfortable with that allows me to practice all the things I want to work on at each Track Day in the knowledge that I'm not under pressure to perform above my limit in lvl3 or worry about an inside pass that might spook me.

I ran lvl1.5 a few months back just out of interest and I got a lot out of it but I was passing nearly the entire field (felt great at the time!) so I reverted back to lvl2. IMO try lvl1.5 one time and then try lvl2 - if the pace is too much then just ask to bump down a level. Good luck
Robbie848 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement