MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Information > Introduction Forum
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2015, 05:30 PM   #41
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentsteve View Post
I didn't have any trouble with throttle control, I actually liked being able to close the throttle fully every single time to upshift. I'd just like to be able to run it up through the gears in that situation instead of getting to 100+ in first, which would work better with less power.

Still, I don't see the point of having the bike set up to blast off to 200 mph when you're going from stoplight to stoplight in town and there's absolutely no opportunity to do so, why not set it up to be more forgiving when you can't go ultra-fast anyway? I do want the speed for the long rides through the twisties though.

I felt super, super comfortable turning and shifting my weight, especially at speed, more than on anything else I tried out. I'm not buying the ZX-10 because I think I'm the world's biggest badass who can push it to its absolute limit, it's just what I felt the best on for serious turning. I like the idea of having the electronics to help me out in case I really screw up though.

I haven't had the chance to ride one, but I have no doubt that the speed triple is fast enough and an incredible deal. The trouble is I'd have about a nickel left in my pocket if I had to part with 8 grand in cash, and you can't really finance a used bike, or even get a decent interest rate on a new one unless it's through a dealer. 7k is really my limit for what I could pay upfront no matter how good a deal it is and I know BYRDMAN has already come down pretty far.
You can definitely finance a used bike and you can bet a decent interest rate is in the cards if you put half down. Worth a shot. They'll only ding your credit once for a loan application spree so it doesn't hurt to shop around. JSC was willing to give me like 4.5% IIRC on a used bike with only like $1,000 down. I didn't end up doing that, but they offered. This isn't like a house where the difference between 3.5 and 4.5% is massive. Just my $.02, take it for what you will. It sounds like you've thought about it and know what you want, glad to hear it! Good luck finding the right bike for you.
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Guy won't transfer the bike!!! haythamboi600 General Discussion (Moto Related) 34 07-29-2014 12:53 PM
ask a guy who just got plates for a dirt bike anything Truckin_Thumper Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 28 09-15-2013 07:09 AM
This guy's bike is about to be stolen! theManofRussia General Discussion (Moto Related) 35 05-05-2012 08:11 PM
Wouldnt want this guy to tow my bike... Tyco_18 Off Topic 17 05-27-2011 05:16 PM
Fat guy on a little bike! Squoddybody General Discussion (Moto Related) 34 01-30-2008 12:24 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-12-2015, 05:32 PM   #42
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooley View Post
Repth, the generation zx10 he said he rode is notoriously a handful for any rider. Between the power and short wheel base it has earned the nickname most appropriate for it: the widowmaker.
Thanks for the info! I'm still new to the game here so I haven't picked up on a lot of info about older bikes. I had assumed OP thought the nannies would save his on a bike with much more power. I can see how the combination of high power and short wheelbase could easily get out of sorts quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckNut View Post
You haven't done the Livingston ride yet!
Oh, don't get me wrong, my statement has nothing to do with me as a rider. More to do with the bike actually. If a novice like me can ride close to the front on spirited rides, then the bike clearly is more than capable for what we do. That's all.

Last edited by Repth; 10-12-2015 at 05:34 PM.
Repth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 05:37 PM   #43
agentsteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repth View Post
You can definitely finance a used bike and you can bet a decent interest rate is in the cards if you put half down. Worth a shot. They'll only ding your credit once for a loan application spree so it doesn't hurt to shop around. JSC was willing to give me like 4.5% IIRC on a used bike with only like $1,000 down. I didn't end up doing that, but they offered. This isn't like a house where the difference between 3.5 and 4.5% is massive. Just my $.02, take it for what you will. It sounds like you've thought about it and know what you want, glad to hear it! Good luck finding the right bike for you.
is JSC a bank? I called Wells Fargo and their rates were astronomical. 4.5% would be around half what they were offering me, and I qualified for 0% interest from the dealer.
agentsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 05:46 PM   #44
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:
is JSC a bank? I called Wells Fargo and their rates were astronomical. 4.5% would be around half what they were offering me, and I qualified for 0% interest from the dealer.
Credit union. I don't recall who all they service but it doesn't hurt to ask, jscfcu.org. I've been with them since I've been working and they've done me right time and time again. I can't possibly say enough good things about their service. They're the kind of people where I called and asked politely for a lower rate because even though I have a lack of credit history they could manually review my bank account and look at the cash flow and know I'm good for the money. And they agreed no problem. Make sure they know you're willing to put 50%+ down if you get in touch with them.

Understand that even if you are paying an extra grand in interest to buy BYRDMAN's Speed Triple, it's still a screamin deal. And I have no alterior motive--I've never even met the guy. It's just a solid deal.
Old 10-12-2015, 05:53 PM   #45
BuckNut
Banned

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Huffy
None
None
None

User is banned

BuckNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 05:55 PM   #46
agentsteve

Quote:
Credit union. I don't recall who all they service but it doesn't hurt to ask, jscfcu.org. I've been with them since I've been working and they've done me right time and time again. I can't possibly say enough good things about their service. They're the kind of people where I called and asked politely for a lower rate because even though I have a lack of credit history they could manually review my bank account and look at the cash flow and know I'm good for the money. And they agreed no problem. Make sure they know you're willing to put 50%+ down if you get in touch with them.

Understand that even if you are paying an extra grand in interest to buy BYRDMAN's Speed Triple, it's still a screamin deal. And I have no alterior motive--I've never even met the guy. It's just a solid deal.
Thanks, I'll give them a call tomorrow. Can't hurt to have a reasonably priced source of financing lined up no matter what I buy.
Old 10-12-2015, 07:50 PM   #47
Nick336

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
06 Speed Triple
08 ZX10R -RIP
03 Z1000 -Sold
02 R6 -Sold

Check out the new fz09. Seriously go watch some youtube videos
Nick336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 08:07 PM   #48
Schooley
Herpagonnaisyphalitis

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
ZX6R

The only suzuki I would ever own - GSXR-750
Schooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 09:45 AM   #49
Jaynvius1

Bike(s):
09 Kawasaki Ninja ZX10R
06 Honda CBR 600 RR

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick336 View Post
Check out the new fz09. Seriously go watch some youtube videos
These are badass.
Jaynvius1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 12:57 AM   #50
agentsteve

I managed to find a lender with a less insane rate who would do a used bike. Maybe I'll take a look at the Street Triple after all.
Old 10-14-2015, 02:56 AM   #51
BYRDMAN
WX MAN

Feedback Rating: (8)

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Adventure 1190
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker

Member Garage

thanks for all the plugs for my sale guys!!
You all know and I know its ridiculously priced....I love that bike, probably the most practical bike I've ever owned. It can haul , tour and commute, but I wanna do those 3 things and have the ability to GO OFF ROAD. Only reason for selling it.

We shall see what happens.....if it doesn't sell oh well, Ill keep enjoying it Ill just set my supermoto up for adventure riding

AMERICAN MADE WITH MEXICAN PARTS
BYRDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 11:29 AM   #52
ZX-Dominance

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2008 FZ1 (wifey)
2007 ZX-6R (track)
2008 Speed Triple White Knight (sold)
2008 CBR1000RR "Red Rocket"
2005 SV1000S (sold)

Quote:
I managed to find a lender with a less insane rate who would do a used bike. Maybe I'll take a look at the Street Triple after all.
Steve, have you looked at insurance rates yet?

If you finance you have to get full coverage, and that's going to run into the hundreds/month on a new 10r.

Plus, after just totaling a Z750... are you really sure that doubling your horsepower while simultaneous raising your financial liability AND hindering your comfort and low speed handling/leverage is a good idea?

PS- speed3's are sweeeet
ZX-Dominance is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 10-14-2015, 11:51 AM   #53
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYRDMAN View Post
thanks for all the plugs for my sale guys!!
You all know and I know its ridiculously priced....I love that bike, probably the most practical bike I've ever owned. It can haul , tour and commute, but I wanna do those 3 things and have the ability to GO OFF ROAD. Only reason for selling it.

We shall see what happens.....if it doesn't sell oh well, Ill keep enjoying it Ill just set my supermoto up for adventure riding
Seeing your post when you bought the SP3 was the reason I started looking into Triumphs and eventually bought my ST3. I can't even express in words how much I enjoy that motorcycle. I can't think of any reason to ever get rid of it, it is a perfect street bike. Literally perfect.
Liked this post:
Old 10-14-2015, 01:27 PM   #54
agentsteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-Dominance View Post
Steve, have you looked at insurance rates yet?

If you finance you have to get full coverage, and that's going to run into the hundreds/month on a new 10r.

Plus, after just totaling a Z750... are you really sure that doubling your horsepower while simultaneous raising your financial liability AND hindering your comfort and low speed handling/leverage is a good idea?

PS- speed3's are sweeeet
I've had a look. It's nowhere near as bad as you say, but the price difference plus the insurance difference add up to enough that I'm seriously considering the speed triple. Some insurers did want stupid amounts of money for the 10r, but State Farm was reasonable. And with full coverage, I'm not really any more liable with one or the other. I didn't have any handling issues with the ZX-10r at any speed, it handled the best overall of anything I've tried. It's definitely less comfy though, no arguing about that. Plus, the newer ZX-10rs have all the electronic stuff that keep it right side up, I'd question whether I'm really much safer on anything without traction control and ABS.
Old 10-14-2015, 01:53 PM   #55
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:
I've had a look. It's nowhere near as bad as you say, but the price difference plus the insurance difference add up to enough that I'm seriously considering the speed triple. Some insurers did want stupid amounts of money for the 10r, but State Farm was reasonable. And with full coverage, I'm not really any more liable with one or the other. I didn't have any handling issues with the ZX-10r at any speed, it handled the best overall of anything I've tried. It's definitely less comfy though, no arguing about that. Plus, the newer ZX-10rs have all the electronic stuff that keep it right side up, I'd question whether I'm really much safer on anything without traction control and ABS.
I think that you're thinking about this the wrong way in terms of the electronic nannies. I view those as being useful if I am really flogging the bike and make a somewhat minor error. They will not ride the bike for you. I feel like you are thinking traction control will save you from washing out if you hit a patch of gravel while cranked over or something like that. They won't. ABS is nice, though. But really, I guess I look at traction control and things of that nature as making you faster, not necessarily making you safer. When it comes to the unwieldy nature of a high powered motorcycle, I'm not sure that ZX-Dominance was solely suggesting that you are putting yourself at a financial liability, but also that you can kill yourself just that much more easily with twice the power.
Old 10-16-2015, 03:22 PM   #56
AwesomeCycles
Office Manager

Welcome and have an awesome weekend.
Old 10-16-2015, 03:59 PM   #57
ZX-Dominance

Bike(s):
2008 FZ1 (wifey)
2007 ZX-6R (track)
2005 SV1000S (sold)

Quote:
I think that you're thinking about this the wrong way in terms of the electronic nannies. I view those as being useful if I am really flogging the bike and make a somewhat minor error. They will not ride the bike for you. I feel like you are thinking traction control will save you from washing out if you hit a patch of gravel while cranked over or something like that. They won't. ABS is nice, though. But really, I guess I look at traction control and things of that nature as making you faster, not necessarily making you safer. When it comes to the unwieldy nature of a high powered motorcycle, I'm not sure that ZX-Dominance was solely suggesting that you are putting yourself at a financial liability, but also that you can kill yourself just that much more easily with twice the power.

You are correct.

Traction control and ABS will not save you from target fixation and driving off the road (which is how the Z750 was totaled, I was leading the ride).

TC and ABS will help with minor traction/comfort issues and with emergency braking in town, although neither of those are likely to be the reason why you would total this prospective ZX10.

Again, simply the shorter maintenance intervals, discomfort for daily riding, and higher insurance cost should be enough to convince any sensible person that a 4th gen ZX10 is not a good choice for daily driving, particularly not for a novice rider.

In my opinion, neither is the Speed triple, unless you get some sort of wind protection. But with the speed triple comes instant torque like youve never felt on a bike before. They can be smooth and easy, but very unforgiving for a heavy wrist at low rpm.

Anyways, I think you should get on a lot more bikes, and have a lot more seat time before jumping into a $10,000 decision. But thats just me, with only 10 years experience, and 26 motorcycles.

it's america, so you can do what you want, but you should probably listen to all of these people telling you how bad your ideas are. Just my $.02, and just because I care.
Old 10-16-2015, 04:08 PM   #58
ZX-Dominance

Bike(s):
2008 FZ1 (wifey)
2007 ZX-6R (track)
2005 SV1000S (sold)

Quote:
Plus, the newer ZX-10rs have all the electronic stuff that keep it right side up .
False.

The rider is what keeps the bike up.
Old 10-16-2015, 04:13 PM   #59
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-Dominance View Post
You are correct.

Traction control and ABS will not save you from target fixation and driving off the road (which is how the Z750 was totaled, I was leading the ride).

TC and ABS will help with minor traction/comfort issues and with emergency braking in town, although neither of those are likely to be the reason why you would total this prospective ZX10.

Again, simply the shorter maintenance intervals, discomfort for daily riding, and higher insurance cost should be enough to convince any sensible person that a 4th gen ZX10 is not a good choice for daily driving, particularly not for a novice rider.

In my opinion, neither is the Speed triple, unless you get some sort of wind protection. But with the speed triple comes instant torque like youve never felt on a bike before. They can be smooth and easy, but very unforgiving for a heavy wrist at low rpm.

Anyways, I think you should get on a lot more bikes, and have a lot more seat time before jumping into a $10,000 decision. But thats just me, with only 10 years experience, and 26 motorcycles.

it's america, so you can do what you want, but you should probably listen to all of these people telling you how bad your ideas are. Just my $.02, and just because I care.
For what it's worth, the only time I really want for more wind protection on my street triple is when the whole group is doing 100+ down the straights all day, and that doesn't happen often. I think the street (I have no personal experience with the speed) triple is literally a perfect daily, but you also have about 2,600% the experience I have. I can tell you that I do not wish I had bought a speed triple and I'd well bet that the street triple has more than enough power to be a level 3 capable bike, which I only say as a means of illustrating that it's not something you'd outgrow quickly. I don't think I'll ever sell mine, I can't imagine what would be better for daily riding.
Old 10-16-2015, 04:44 PM   #60
ZX-Dominance

Bike(s):
2008 FZ1 (wifey)
2007 ZX-6R (track)
2005 SV1000S (sold)

Quote:
For what it's worth, the only time I really want for more wind protection on my street triple is when the whole group is doing 100+ down the straights all day, and that doesn't happen often. I think the street (I have no personal experience with the speed) triple is literally a perfect daily, but you also have about 2,600% the experience I have. I can tell you that I do not wish I had bought a speed triple and I'd well bet that the street triple has more than enough power to be a level 3 capable bike, which I only say as a means of illustrating that it's not something you'd outgrow quickly. I don't think I'll ever sell mine, I can't imagine what would be better for daily riding.
One of my good friends, whose ridden 3x longer, and currently owns 35 motorcycles, has 1 favorite - the Street Triple (he's also got a D16RR "THE desmo", a speed triple, sumos, inline 4s, and classics to boot). For carving twisties, commuting, or track days. That should say plenty.

My speedy lacked even a fly screen, and my daily commute with no protection meant a lot of wind, but also bug all over my gear. It sounds funny, but splatter was as much of a factor as high speed buffeting when I traded the speedy in for the CBR. But the FZ1 is the bees knees brother.

I am ssssssssstoked about the Street Triple 800 RT (R spec with fairings!).

Advertisement