MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Information > Introduction Forum
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2015, 01:01 PM   #21
Nick336

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
06 Speed Triple
08 ZX10R -RIP
03 Z1000 -Sold
02 R6 -Sold

IMO If youre able to pay cash rather than financing, there are so many deals that come and go everyday on brand new bikes with one summer of riding on them. It doesnt make sense to buy a new bike when you can knock thousands off the price buying used
Nick336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Guy won't transfer the bike!!! haythamboi600 General Discussion (Moto Related) 34 07-29-2014 12:53 PM
ask a guy who just got plates for a dirt bike anything Truckin_Thumper Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 28 09-15-2013 07:09 AM
This guy's bike is about to be stolen! theManofRussia General Discussion (Moto Related) 35 05-05-2012 08:11 PM
Wouldnt want this guy to tow my bike... Tyco_18 Off Topic 17 05-27-2011 05:16 PM
Fat guy on a little bike! Squoddybody General Discussion (Moto Related) 34 01-30-2008 12:24 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-12-2015, 01:20 PM   #22
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick336 View Post
IMO If youre able to pay cash rather than financing, there are so many deals that come and go everyday on brand new bikes with one summer of riding on them. It doesnt make sense to buy a new bike when you can knock thousands off the price buying used
I bought my 300 new because it was my first bike and I wanted peace of mind to know something wasn't with on it, because I wouldn't know the difference between it riding correctly or not and I might find out the hard way. The market for lightweights is so good though that I didn't eat much of a loss one year later. I bought my street triple new because I imagine I'll own it forever. It's a perfect street bike, really. I think I will have other bikes come and go but man this one is special. If I keep it until I run it into the ground, then it'll be worth it to have bought it new, to me.
Old 10-12-2015, 03:00 PM   #23
Nick336

Bike(s):
06 Speed Triple
08 ZX10R -RIP
03 Z1000 -Sold
02 R6 -Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repth View Post
I bought my 300 new because it was my first bike and I wanted peace of mind to know something wasn't with on it, because I wouldn't know the difference between it riding correctly or not and I might find out the hard way. The market for lightweights is so good though that I didn't eat much of a loss one year later. I bought my street triple new because I imagine I'll own it forever. It's a perfect street bike, really. I think I will have other bikes come and go but man this one is special. If I keep it until I run it into the ground, then it'll be worth it to have bought it new, to me.
I cant disagree with peace of mind when you buy new. However.. i cant imagine many bikes having any long term damage with less than 2k-3k miles. especially with reciepts off 500 mile oil change.. ect.
Old 10-12-2015, 03:02 PM   #24
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:
I cant disagree with peace of mind when you buy new. However.. i cant imagine many bikes having any long term damage with less than 2k-3k miles. especially with reciepts off 500 mile oil change.. ect.
Yeah, I hear you. I just wanted extreme peace of mind with my first bike. For the street triple, the novelty value of being the only owner is enough incentive to buy new since I like it so much. Hard to argue either way really.
Old 10-12-2015, 03:02 PM   #25
Nick336

Bike(s):
06 Speed Triple
08 ZX10R -RIP
03 Z1000 -Sold
02 R6 -Sold

LMAO maybe youre right Repth. I just turned around at my desk, talking to my boss about buying new vs used.. he told me his 2013 gsxr600 (he bought new) has 10k miles on it and hes never done an oil change..... dumbass
Old 10-12-2015, 03:21 PM   #26
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:
LMAO maybe youre right Repth. I just turned around at my desk, talking to my boss about buying new vs used.. he told me his 2013 gsxr600 (he bought new) has 10k miles on it and hes never done an oil change..... dumbass
Slap him.
Old 10-12-2015, 03:47 PM   #27
agentsteve

10k Either there's been some huge advance in oil technology nobody's told me about, or I'm surprised it still runs at all. Wouldn't the system that oils the chain have emptied him out by 10k though?

I've got some bargaining to do, but it looks like I'll come in at 11k. I'm okay with that though, because the good news (if you're the type who values not highsiding over being a purist) is that it's the ABS model

I loved the '04 ZX-10 I tested out earlier this month, but it was too much for commuting. This one has the electronic goodies so I can dial things down when I'm stuck in traffic, so I should be able to do everything I want to with this bike fairly comfortably.
agentsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 03:49 PM   #28
BuckNut
Banned

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Huffy
None
None
None

User is banned

BuckNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 03:52 PM   #29
Schooley
Herpagonnaisyphalitis

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
ZX6R

I dont know what you are talking about, but ABS does not have anything to do with preventing highsides. The base model has the system (Traction Control) that you are referring to. But so does the 13-current zx6r.
Schooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 03:55 PM   #30
Nick336

Bike(s):
06 Speed Triple
08 ZX10R -RIP
03 Z1000 -Sold
02 R6 -Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentsteve View Post
10k Either there's been some huge advance in oil technology nobody's told me about, or I'm surprised it still runs at all. Wouldn't the system that oils the chain have emptied him out by 10k though?

I've got some bargaining to do, but it looks like I'll come in at 11k. I'm okay with that though, because the good news (if you're the type who values not highsiding over being a purist) is that it's the ABS model

I loved the '04 ZX-10 I tested out earlier this month, but it was too much for commuting. This one has the electronic goodies so I can dial things down when I'm stuck in traffic, so I should be able to do everything I want to with this bike fairly comfortably.
ABS has to do with hard braking. Youre wanting TC. For all i know, all the ABS models come with TC as well- just saying. Secondly, i cant imagine a time in my life when id switch the bike from full power to anything less. (with the acception of rain). Man honestly, if you rode the 04 zx10 and it felt like a handful, this bike isnt going to by much more forgiving. If your main goal is commuting and hauling , look into a different style bike. Speed triple, Street triple, FZ6, FZ1, or best of all IMO... the FZ9 is the best bang for the buck right now. Its stupid fast, and you cant beat the pricing. Look into them. Watch some videos
Liked this post:
Old 10-12-2015, 04:02 PM   #31
Schooley
Herpagonnaisyphalitis

Bike(s):
ZX6R

Quote:
ABS has to do with hard braking. Youre wanting TC. For all i know, all the ABS models come with TC as well- just saying. Secondly, i cant imagine a time in my life when id switch the bike from full power to anything less. (with the acception of rain). Man honestly, if you rode the 04 zx10 and it felt like a handful, this bike isnt going to by much more forgiving. If your main goal is commuting and hauling , look into a different style bike. Speed triple, Street triple, FZ6, FZ1, or best of all IMO... the FZ9 is the best bang for the buck right now. Its stupid fast, and you cant beat the pricing. Look into them. Watch some videos
Stop being practical, this guy is obviously superior to the limited speed a 600SS can offer
Old 10-12-2015, 04:11 PM   #32
agentsteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckNut View Post
huh?
My old bike had a system that automatically oiled the chain. I thought that was a common feature.
Old 10-12-2015, 04:12 PM   #33
BuckNut
Banned

Bike(s):
Huffy
None
None
None

User is banned

Old 10-12-2015, 04:15 PM   #34
agentsteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckNut View Post
What bike was that? Curious.
Z750
Old 10-12-2015, 04:18 PM   #35
agentsteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooley View Post
Stop being practical, this guy is obviously superior to the limited speed a 600SS can offer
I know it's not the ideal choice for a commuter, but I don't have any practical way to store more than 1 bike. I'd get 2 different used ones and probably save a bunch of money if I could go that way.
Old 10-12-2015, 04:50 PM   #36
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:
I know it's not the ideal choice for a commuter, but I don't have any practical way to store more than 1 bike. I'd get 2 different used ones and probably save a bunch of money if I could go that way.
Stop around and buy BYRDMAN's Speed Triple.

Actually, honestly, if the 04 ZX-10 was a handful... I'm thinking you're probably looking at the wrong class of bike. I mean no disrespect, but you've been riding a year now (right?) You should have gotten over any basic mistakes you may have made like being too rough with the throttle. If you have no plan to utilize the extra power on the literbike then you might as well get a 600 class bike and enjoy the somewhat more nimble nature they offer. If you do plan on utilizing the extra power, then there's really no reason you'd ever need to dumb the bike down. What is it about daily commuting that has you thinking the literbike is a handful?

For what it's worth, I don't have much if any trouble keeping up with literbikes on spirited rides. And I ride a Street Triple (675cc). A touch more power would never hurt, but it certainly doesn't hamper my ability to ride towards the front of the pack in a group where I am riding one of the slower, if not the slowest, bikes.

Last edited by Repth; 10-12-2015 at 04:54 PM.
Repth is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 10-12-2015, 05:13 PM   #37
Schooley
Herpagonnaisyphalitis

Bike(s):
ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repth View Post
Stop around and buy BYRDMAN's Speed Triple.

Actually, honestly, if the 04 ZX-10 was a handful... I'm thinking you're probably looking at the wrong class of bike. I mean no disrespect, but you've been riding a year now (right?) You should have gotten over any basic mistakes you may have made like being too rough with the throttle. If you have no plan to utilize the extra power on the literbike then you might as well get a 600 class bike and enjoy the somewhat more nimble nature they offer. If you do plan on utilizing the extra power, then there's really no reason you'd ever need to dumb the bike down. What is it about daily commuting that has you thinking the literbike is a handful?

For what it's worth, I don't have much if any trouble keeping up with literbikes on spirited rides. And I ride a Street Triple (675cc). A touch more power would never hurt, but it certainly doesn't hamper my ability to ride towards the front of the pack in a group where I am riding one of the slower, if not the slowest, bikes.
Repth, the generation zx10 he said he rode is notoriously a handful for any rider. Between the power and short wheel base it has earned the nickname most appropriate for it: the widowmaker.
Old 10-12-2015, 05:15 PM   #38
Schooley
Herpagonnaisyphalitis

Bike(s):
ZX6R

Quote:
If you previously rode a z750 any SS 600 is gonna be more than enough bike for you. Making the jump to a literbike is unnecessary and could end up being a fatal mistake for you. Riding a slow bike in this town is hard enough, throw in the acceleration comparable to a super car with limited riding ability and it could end up bad for you.
Old 10-12-2015, 05:24 PM   #39
BuckNut
Banned

Bike(s):
Huffy
None
None
None

User is banned

Old 10-12-2015, 05:24 PM   #40
agentsteve

I didn't have any trouble with throttle control, I actually liked being able to close the throttle fully every single time to upshift. I'd just like to be able to run it up through the gears in that situation instead of getting to 100+ in first, which would work better with less power.

Still, I don't see the point of having the bike set up to blast off to 200 mph when you're going from stoplight to stoplight in town and there's absolutely no opportunity to do so, why not set it up to be more forgiving when you can't go ultra-fast anyway? I do want the speed for the long rides through the twisties though.

I felt super, super comfortable turning and shifting my weight, especially at speed, more than on anything else I tried out (Ninja 500, SV650, Ninja 650). I'm not buying the ZX-10 because I think I'm the world's biggest badass who can push it to its absolute limit, it's just what I felt the best on for serious turning. I like the idea of having the electronics to help me out in case I really screw up though.

I haven't had the chance to ride one, but I have no doubt that the speed triple is fast enough and an incredible deal. The trouble is I'd have about a nickel left in my pocket if I had to part with 8 grand in cash, and you can't really finance a used bike, or even get a decent interest rate on a new one unless it's through a dealer. 7k is really my limit for what I could pay upfront no matter how good a deal it is and I know BYRDMAN has already come down pretty far.

Last edited by agentsteve; 10-12-2015 at 05:27 PM.

Advertisement