MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > News & Media > Motorcycle News & Media > Industry News
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2015, 05:20 PM   #1
NewsBot

Feedback Rating: (0)

World Superbike Magny Cours: Rea doubles

world superbike magny cours race?itoksFvRsrZx Kawasaki's Jonathan Rea took two victories in both the wet and dry at Magny Cours, France, getting the Isle of Man resident closer to the record for most points in a season.

After being ousted from the podium for the first time this season in Jerez—where he was twice fourth but crowned world champion—Jonathan Rea washed away the sorrow with a dominant double victory in Magny Cours (France). Rain or shine, the Kawasaki rider proved to be the most competitive on track, preceding Tom Sykes and Sylvain Guintoli in a wet Race One, and Chaz Davies and Sykes in a sunny Race Two. Before the season finale in Qatar, the Ulsterman is now only within 25 points from breaking the all-time season record of 552 set by Colin Edwards in 2002.

“It was very important to get back to the top after Jerez,” said Rea. “I got my first victory with the ZX-10R in the wet and then proved again how competitive our package is in different conditions. The rain made the track more slippery compared with yesterday, so I was a bit worried about choosing the softer rear, but thankfully it lasted until the end.”

On his way to the top, Rea also traded paints with his teammate Sykes. The Brit, who can only chase the runner-up honors, cut his gap from Davies (only sixth in Race One) from 22 to 16 points with two races left, while the team didn't issue any orders. The pair almost collided toward the end of Race One, with Sykes going briefly wide at turn 12-13, before touching going into the Adelaide hairpin in Race Two. In both occasions, Rea emerged victorious to his teammate's chagrin.

“Jonathan pushed me a bit wide in Race One, but I hadn't enough grip and couldn't counter his move, that's it,” commented. Sykes. “I couldn't have done more, but we clearly need to solve some setup problems because in the dry I had a better pace during free practice than in the race.”

“Tom was closing the door on me every time, but I had a better pace and it showed at the end,” replied Rea. “My training regime was a bit out of the window as I had a busy couple of weeks after winning the title, but Pirelli brought my favorite front tyre (the standard SC2, which was not available in Jerez) and I immediately felt really comfortable again. I never had a podium here before, and we leave with a double, so I'm really happy.”

Davies, who headed to France in top form after claiming four victories in the previous six races, took his first podium in Magny Cours but was still not satisfied. “It's a shame for how Race One went, even though today was still my best outing in Magny Cours,” the Ducati rider commented. “We had a completely wrong setup, as we didn't have enough time to change from 'dry' to 'wet', so I felt like I was riding on ice. In Race Two, when I saw Sykes was losing ground, I decided to settle for second position as trying to catch Rea would have been too risky. Overall, we lost less points than I thought and I'll head to Qatar with a 16-point advantage on Sykes, who has always been really strong here in France, so we just have to stay focused.”

Race day also saw Kenan Sofuoglu and Lorenzo Savadori win the Supersport and Superstock1000 titles respectively. The championship will resume for one final round in Qatar in two weeks' time.

World Superbike Magny Cours Race 1 results:
1. Jonathan Rea (GBR) Kawasaki Racing Team
2. Tom Sykes (GBR) Kawasaki Racing Team
3. Sylvain Guintoli (FRA) Pata Honda WSBK
4. Michael Van der Mark (NET) Pata Honda WSBK
5. Leon Camier (GBR) MV Agusta Reparto Corse
6. Chaz Davies (GBR) Aruba.it Racing-Ducati SBK Team
7. Matteo Baiocco (ITA) Althea Racing Ducati
8. Alex Lowes (GBR) Voltcom Crescent Suzuki
9. Leandro Mercado (ARG) Barni Racing Ducati
10. Niccolò Canepa (ITA) Althea Racing Ducati
11. Gianluca Vizziello (ITA) Grillini SBK Kawasaki