MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2015, 11:42 AM   #101
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanXJ View Post
I have not but hope he is ok. From what I got over the radio it was quite a mess.

I'm still not even sure if it was a accident in the paddock or if he rode it in like dbuck then realized he was injured
What I heard from numerous people is that he was loading his bike on the trailer and it fell on him and clipped his femoral artery. That's hearsay of course, I have no idea if it's true or not. I definitely did see a guy on the ground in the paddock with EMS, though.
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vids from last Oct. MSRH - R6 Solracer Taking it to the Track 17 02-06-2012 01:16 PM
Mex-Trek 2009 Oct 14 - 18th Mr.P General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 03-02-2010 05:37 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-20-2015, 01:01 PM   #102
Rttoys
Insurance poor

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
99 Ducati 996s
07 Yamaha FZ1
14 Yamaha TW200
13 Kawasaki 300se
08 Ducati Hypermotard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repth View Post
What I heard from numerous people is that he was loading his bike on the trailer and it fell on him and clipped his femoral artery. That's hearsay of course, I have no idea if it's true or not. I definitely did see a guy on the ground in the paddock with EMS, though.
I have to say, I watched (and helped) a lot of people unload and load their bikes at the Ride Smart days I have been to and it amazes me:

A- what people attempt to do by themselves
2- only ask for help once they are already in trouble
III- the equipment they are using (lifted truck with a 5' single wheel ramp)
d- lack of proper equipment (no ramp, looking for a ditch)
5- Their tie down/mounting system

It is a tad scary out in the pits. Just ask for help, there are plenty of people willing to help. , I even grabbed my ramp once because the one the guy had was sketchy as .
Old 10-20-2015, 02:23 PM   #103
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rttoys View Post
I have to say, I watched (and helped) a lot of people unload and load their bikes at the Ride Smart days I have been to and it amazes me:

A- what people attempt to do by themselves
2- only ask for help once they are already in trouble
III- the equipment they are using (lifted truck with a 5' single wheel ramp)
d- lack of proper equipment (no ramp, looking for a ditch)
5- Their tie down/mounting system

It is a tad scary out in the pits. Just ask for help, there are plenty of people willing to help. , I even grabbed my ramp once because the one the guy had was sketchy as .
What's weird is it looked like a drop tail trailer... Does it get any easier to load/unload on your own? I guess mistakes happen. I never did understand how some people felt comfortable loading the motorcycle into the bed of their truck with a single cheap, skinny ramp. Alone. That's why I bought a Kendon... I could load/unload it all day without needing assistance.
Old 10-20-2015, 02:25 PM   #104
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Also pics from Sunday are up! I was right, I look like a . But you can see me look progressively less like a as my body position improves slightly throughout the day.
Old 10-20-2015, 02:40 PM   #105
Rttoys
Insurance poor

Bike(s):
99 Ducati 996s
07 Yamaha FZ1
14 Yamaha TW200
13 Kawasaki 300se
08 Ducati Hypermotard

Quote:
What's weird is it looked like a drop tail trailer... Does it get any easier to load/unload on your own? .
Wow, really? I was suspecting 6" lifted bro-dozer with a 5' Harbor Freight one wheel ramp. Maybe he slipped on a banana peal. or just had a brain fart.

Quote:
Also pics from Sunday are up! I was right, I look like a . But you can see me look progressively less like a as my body position improves slightly throughout the day.
The more you do track days and listen to the instructors, the better you get and 'look'. I read your previous posts about jumping to L2 right away, but I would do L1.5 at least once, before jumping into L2. L1.5 they discuss better cornering and braking techniques along with hammering on body/hand/head positioning.

I did L1/L1.5 4 or 5 times before hitting L2 at COTA last month. I don't know if it was just COTA or L2, but the pace picked up very quickly over L1/1.5 and the instructing/curriculum advances a lot too.
Old 10-20-2015, 03:08 PM   #106
Robbie848

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
Ducati 1198S + GSXR750 Track Bike
Ducati 848
R1
CBR600F3

Update on injured person in MSRH Paddock (18 Oct)

Quote:
Since there's a few comments floating around, I wanted to provide an update on my friend who was injured in the trailer loading incident towards the end of the day. I was one of the first responders on scene.

First of all, he is well, was released from hospital on Monday evening, and will make a full recovery.

He was loading his bike onto the left side of a Droptail trailer when the incident occurred. It appears that while riding the bike up the ramp, the front wheel did not fully engage with the chock causing him to lose balance. There is not much room between the left side of the bike and the trailer wheel aluminum plated fender/cover and it appears that this minimal space did not allow him room to steady the bike hence he lost balance falling over the fender onto the ground with the bike on top of him.

While falling, he slashed and gouged open the rear of his left thigh either via the left peg of the bike or the aluminum wheel fender. The extent of the injury was so severe that paramedics classified it as "Trauma 1" and life flight was called in. Put it this way, you could put your fist inside the hole in his thigh.

He's an experience rider who has loaded a trailer a hundred times, which should remind us all that we should never load/unload alone as it can only take a split second for a serious injury to occur.

Last edited by Robbie848; 10-20-2015 at 03:11 PM.
Robbie848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 10-20-2015, 03:12 PM   #107
Rttoys
Insurance poor

Bike(s):
99 Ducati 996s
07 Yamaha FZ1
14 Yamaha TW200
13 Kawasaki 300se
08 Ducati Hypermotard

oweoweoweeeeeeee That sucks and that hurts just reading it.

Definitely a reminder to be careful no matter how many times you have done it.
Old 10-20-2015, 03:19 PM   #108
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie848 View Post
Since there's a few comments floating around, I wanted to provide an update on my friend who was injured in the trailer loading incident towards the end of the day. I was one of the first responders on scene.

First of all, he is well, was released from hospital on Monday evening, and will make a full recovery.

He was loading his bike onto the left side of a Droptail trailer when the incident occurred. It appears that while riding the bike up the ramp, the front wheel did not fully engage with the chock causing him to lose balance. There is not much room between the left side of the bike and the trailer wheel aluminum plated fender/cover and it appears that this minimal space did not allow him room to steady the bike hence he lost balance falling over the fender onto the ground with the bike on top of him.

While falling, he slashed and gouged open the rear of his left thigh either via the left peg of the bike or the aluminum wheel fender. The extent of the injury was so severe that paramedics classified it as "Trauma 1" and life flight was called in. Put it this way, you could put your fist inside the hole in his thigh.

He's an experience rider who has loaded a trailer a hundred times, which should remind us all that we should never load/unload alone as it can only take a split second for a serious injury to occur.
Thank you very much for the update! I am glad to hear that he is doing well. I will certainly remember this next time I am loading or unloading my bike, and I'm gonna go out and roll the edges of the trailer fenders while I'm at it...
Liked this post:
Old 10-20-2015, 03:22 PM   #109
Schooley
Herpagonnaisyphalitis

Bike(s):
ZX6R

, thats scary to think that after doing 100+ he was near killed walking his bike. Glad to hear he is OK.
Schooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 10-20-2015, 03:22 PM   #110
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rttoys View Post
Wow, really? I was suspecting 6" lifted bro-dozer with a 5' Harbor Freight one wheel ramp. Maybe he slipped on a banana peal. or just had a brain fart.

The more you do track days and listen to the instructors, the better you get and 'look'. I read your previous posts about jumping to L2 right away, but I would do L1.5 at least once, before jumping into L2. L1.5 they discuss better cornering and braking techniques along with hammering on body/hand/head positioning.

I did L1/L1.5 4 or 5 times before hitting L2 at COTA last month. I don't know if it was just COTA or L2, but the pace picked up very quickly over L1/1.5 and the instructing/curriculum advances a lot too.
I've been talking to several people about it and based on my lap times I plan to go ahead and advance to level 2.
Old 10-20-2015, 03:49 PM   #111
Schooley
Herpagonnaisyphalitis

Bike(s):
ZX6R

Quote:
I've been talking to several people about it and based on my lap times I plan to go ahead and advance to level 2.
Level 1.5 isnt a bad place to hang around for a few trackdays.
Schooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 03:53 PM   #112
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooley View Post
Level 1.5 isnt a bad place to hang around for a few trackdays.
So the opinions on what I should do are half and half really. Can you tell me why I'd benefit more from level 1 than level 2? I'm just curious, because I feel like level 2 is a more natural place to be based on the pace.
Old 10-20-2015, 03:57 PM   #113
ArkansasDave

Bike(s):
2010 CRF450R
2014 Honda Grom
2015 KTM 250xc

Quote:
So the opinions on what I should do are half and half really. Can you tell me why I'd benefit more from level 1 than level 2? I'm just curious, because I feel like level 2 is a more natural place to be based on the pace.
Start a separate thread to get input.
ArkansasDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 04:05 PM   #114
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

When to Move to Level 2

Done.