MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2015, 08:43 PM   #21
kenup283
Senior Member
 
kenup283's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Dear Park
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 589

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
01 Bandit 1200




Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by du ma may View Post
too much powa^^

Was checking out Street Triple R doe.
Don't be worried about that, I too was looking for a middle class bike, triple, FZ , SV etc and ended up finding a clean used bandit 1200 and went for it instead.

I almost didn't as I too worried about getting a big bike but in the end I found it easy to ride. I did the MSF drills in a parking lot once got it home to get compfy with the weight and feel. Then rode around for 6 months without ever using more than half throttle and took it to MSRH and had a blast.

That 1050 triple is probably exactly what you are looking for. You just not know it yet.
__________________
Experience is not something you get until just after you needed it.
kenup283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New FZ-07 Philbert General Discussion (Moto Related) 19 06-23-2014 07:33 AM
yamaha fz 09 Nastynesto85 General Discussion (Moto Related) 38 06-18-2014 01:12 PM
Yamaha FZ-09 Stricken55 General Discussion (Moto Related) 17 07-30-2013 07:33 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-01-2015, 09:17 PM   #22
Miloman
Senior Member
 
Miloman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Cypress
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 475


Bike(s):
Honda 50
Bugatti veyron ss (sold)
Dodge Tomahawk (sold)
Ducati desmosedici RR (sold)
MTT turbine bike (sold)






Fz 07- Top speed 122mph
Fz 09- Top speed 132mph
Cbr600rr- Top speed 165mph

I wouldn't give up my honda based on that alone.. My buddies 4 wheeler can do 120 lol
Miloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 10:01 PM   #23
Adamrides
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 218












Quote:
Originally Posted by Miloman View Post
Fz 07- Top speed 122mph
Fz 09- Top speed 132mph
Cbr600rr- Top speed 165mph

I wouldn't give up my honda based on that alone.. My buddies 4 wheeler can do 120 lol
ecu flash an fz-09 and it will hit 160
yamaha speed limits their bikes.
Adamrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 10:08 PM   #24
Adamrides
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 218












Quote:
Originally Posted by du ma may View Post
too much powa^^

Was checking out Street Triple R doe.
get the triumph 1050 if you can afford it, its really tame until you open it up, just kicks in lower than your cbr, if you can't afford that then the fz-09
Adamrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 11:14 PM   #25
BYRDMAN
WX MAN
 
BYRDMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (8)
Posts: 9,316

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Adventure 1190
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker


Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by kenup283 View Post
Don't be worried about that, I too was looking for a middle class bike, triple, FZ , SV etc and ended up finding a clean used bandit 1200 and went for it instead.

I almost didn't as I too worried about getting a big bike but in the end I found it easy to ride. I did the MSF drills in a parking lot once got it home to get compfy with the weight and feel. Then rode around for 6 months without ever using more than half throttle and took it to MSRH and had a blast.

That 1050 triple is probably exactly what you are looking for. You just not know it yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamrides View Post
get the triumph 1050 if you can afford it, its really tame until you open it up, just kicks in lower than your cbr, if you can't afford that then the fz-09
Agree 100% My speedy is stupid easy to ride! Such a smooth power band and has a great and usable power band.
__________________
If you can read this, thank a teacher, because its in English, thank a soldier"

AMERICAN MADE WITH MEXICAN PARTS
BYRDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 11:57 PM   #26
UHcougarJohn
Senior Member
 
UHcougarJohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Mo City
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 128

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2006 Fz6
KX125








My biggest knock on Fz-07 and Fz-09 is the small gas tank but that doesn't sound like that will be an issue for you. My budy who doesn't ride much loves his Fz-09.

Fj-09 is on my radar when I wear out my Fz-6....63k miles and counting.
UHcougarJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 06:18 AM   #27
BuckNut
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Earth
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,571

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Huffy
None
None
None






User is banned

.
BuckNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 09:40 AM   #28
Adamrides
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 218












Quote:
Originally Posted by UHcougarJohn View Post
My biggest knock on Fz-07 and Fz-09 is the small gas tank but that doesn't sound like that will be an issue for you. My budy who doesn't ride much loves his Fz-09.

Fj-09 is on my radar when I wear out my Fz-6....63k miles and counting.
Fz-07 does have a small tank however it gets great gas milage I'm usually at 1/2 - 1/4 tank when my buddies are empty and I ride with gsxr's ducati's and fz-8's sometimes.

The tank will not be an issue, doesn't sound like he does long distance or canyon rides anyway, I do both pretty often on my fz-07 and I'm never the first to need fuel.

I'm thinking hard about that speed triple though!!! I want it
Adamrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 09:52 AM   #29
Jae
Kilted Basterd
 
Jae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Richmond
Feedback Rating: (9)
Posts: 5,076

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage


If you're that concerned about fairings, a Sprint 1050 is a good move from the Speed Triple. I too will vouch for the 1050 triple as a great engine that's easy to ride. Power does seem very linear, so it's easy to ride in the lower rpms. I haven't been on a Speed Triple recently, so can't remember how the seating position compares, but the Sprint offers a fairly relaxed position for a sporty bike, as it's designed to be a sport tourer.
__________________
Keeping the "F-U" in "fun"
Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 11:49 PM   #30
False
Senior Member
 
False's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 351












Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamrides View Post
ecu flash an fz-09 and it will hit 160
yamaha speed limits their bikes.
This is complete BS. Fairings exist for a reason. You can't flash in extra aerodynamics. The "Naked" bike fad of high horsepower and no aerodynamics has a real hindrance to top speed which very few people actually care about, but it exists.
False is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 08:00 AM   #31
Adamrides
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 218












Quote:
Originally Posted by False View Post
This is complete BS. Fairings exist for a reason. You can't flash in extra aerodynamics. The "Naked" bike fad of high horsepower and no aerodynamics has a real hindrance to top speed which very few people actually care about, but it exists.
lol
Adamrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 08:50 AM   #32
du ma may
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 98












did 120mph my first time on freeway yesterday and the wind is brutal.
du ma may is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 10-04-2015, 03:05 PM   #33
Repth
Keyboard Warrior
 
Repth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Austin
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 3,638

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R









Quote:
Originally Posted by False View Post
This is complete BS. Fairings exist for a reason. You can't flash in extra aerodynamics. The "Naked" bike fad of high horsepower and no aerodynamics has a real hindrance to top speed which very few people actually care about, but it exists.
I've had my Street Triple up to 140 and it feels like parts of it are going to start shearing off. There is literally no way it could do 160mph, and I would never want it to. In hindsight, I should not have wanted it to do 140. It's a great bike around town but you hit the nail on the head.
__________________
"I learned long ago never to wrestle with a pig. You end up getting dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
- George Bernard Shaw
Repth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 03:32 PM   #34
ZX-Dominance
Senior Member
 
ZX-Dominance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: BCS
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,364

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2008 FZ1 (wifey)
2007 ZX-6R (track)
2008 Speed Triple White Knight (sold)
2008 CBR1000RR "Red Rocket"
2005 SV1000S (sold)






Quote:
Originally Posted by Repth View Post
I've had my Street Triple up to 140 and it feels like parts of it are going to start shearing off. There is literally no way it could do 160mph, and I would never want it to. In hindsight, I should not have wanted it to do 140. It's a great bike around town but you hit the nail on the head.
I could never get my 08 Speedie above 139. Was geared +3 and corrected... But holy mother... Above 120 and you could literally feel the hand of pulling you off the bike
ZX-Dominance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 04:33 PM   #35
Deadfred
Drop Dead or Die Trying
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 1,493

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Ducati EVO









I have previously owned a 2009 street triple and can vouch for the uncomfortable wind blast at higher speeds.

However I just picked up a newer Duc 1100 EVo and I have to say I am very impressed with how little wind resistance there is. I have only taken it to an indicated 125mph but even at that it was stable and not a whirlwind of fury. It does have a "fly guard" if it even actually constitutes as one, as it is incredibly small. Thumbs up for the Duc
Deadfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 04:35 PM   #36
Miloman
Senior Member
 
Miloman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Cypress
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 475


Bike(s):
Honda 50
Bugatti veyron ss (sold)
Dodge Tomahawk (sold)
Ducati desmosedici RR (sold)
MTT turbine bike (sold)






My buddies naked BMW S1000R (not RR) has some serious nuts, he creeps by me when I'm goin 160 on the ninja. If you want a naked 2wheeler and can afford it the BMW is probably the fastest I've seen so far.
Miloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 04:39 PM   #37
Repth
Keyboard Warrior
 
Repth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Austin
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 3,638

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R









Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-Dominance View Post
I could never get my 08 Speedie above 139. Was geared +3 and corrected... But holy mother... Above 120 and you could literally feel the hand of pulling you off the bike
I was hugging the bike pretty good. Mirrors folded in, flyscreen was vibrating so much I'm amazed the paint didn't crack on it. Now this was just over 140 indicated, not sure what the actual speed was.
__________________
"I learned long ago never to wrestle with a pig. You end up getting dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
- George Bernard Shaw
Repth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 06:02 PM   #38
Adamrides
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 218












Quote:
Originally Posted by Repth View Post
I've had my Street Triple up to 140 and it feels like parts of it are going to start shearing off. There is literally no way it could do 160mph, and I would never want it to. In hindsight, I should not have wanted it to do 140. It's a great bike around town but you hit the nail on the head.
I never said you should do 160, my point was simply yamaha speed limits their bikes, an ecu flash would remove that and increase the top speed if that was an issue for him. It tops out at 132 stock that does not mean that air resistance is the limiting factor.
Adamrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 06:34 PM   #39
BuckNut
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Earth
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,571

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Huffy
None
None
None






User is banned

.
BuckNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 06:44 PM   #40
Repth
Keyboard Warrior
 
Repth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Austin
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 3,638

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R









Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamrides View Post
I never said you should do 160, my point was simply yamaha speed limits their bikes, an ecu flash would remove that and increase the top speed if that was an issue for him. It tops out at 132 stock that does not mean that air resistance is the limiting factor.
The FZ-09 has about 10% more horsepower than my Street Triple, I'd be surprised if it would go 10% faster at top speed. Something like the Bimmer that has 50% more power, I could totally believe.
__________________
"I learned long ago never to wrestle with a pig. You end up getting dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
- George Bernard Shaw
Repth is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:01 PM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy