MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Information > Introduction Forum
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2015, 09:38 PM   #21
cperez17

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2015 yamaha r6

I appreciate the advice guys, I just enrolled today in the MSF basic course in la marque. I hope I'll be able to learn their. & is it true, that I'm bound to drop my bike at least once?
cperez17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to protect your bike pester General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 01-27-2014 07:51 AM
How far have you rode your sport bike? Higham General Discussion (Moto Related) 84 10-10-2010 04:12 PM
Who else rode the bike in today? GABRIEL General Discussion (Moto Related) 27 12-22-2008 04:33 PM
Advertisement
Old 09-28-2015, 09:53 PM   #22
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by cperez17 View Post
I appreciate the advice guys, I just enrolled today in the MSF basic course in la marque. I hope I'll be able to learn their. & is it true, that I'm bound to drop my bike at least once?
I mean maybe not. Just be careful. Wrist (throttle) control is your zen.
Old 09-29-2015, 12:54 AM   #23
Adamrides

Quote:
I've never dropped a bike, It just depends on how careless you are, it will probably happen at slow speeds when turning and making U turns. Just be ready to put your foot down when you are turning slow until you learn your bike. In my opinion if you're worried about dropping your bike when you go out and ride its probably bound to happen, just say it and go ride, if you drop it so what? pick it up and jump back on it's only scratches. What will you off more is when you're riding behind a truck or even another rider and they throw a rock at you and it hits your bike. Now you got a nice gash in your plastic that wasn't your fault.

oh and DO NOT use your bike for the MSF class, awesome cycles has bikes for you to use, when you have to do the U-turn in the box that's when its very likely you will drop the bike. If the place you are registered to take it does not have bikes for you to ride, i'd suggest canceling there and going to awesome cycles.
Adamrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 09-29-2015, 07:14 AM   #24
flipstyledsm22
Lets go fishing!

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
1994 FLSTC Pro-Street Chopper
1964 Tote Gote
2003 GSXR600 - SOLD
2004 ZX6R - SOLD
1986 VFR750 - SOLD

Send a message via Yahoo to flipstyledsm22
Quote:
I took that same course, it was very fun! They have plenty of bikes for the class, so you should be practicing and learning on their bikes.

Luckily, I have experienced most of my major drops on a dirt bike. I did however lay my track bike over in the neighborhood while trying to do some stupid whoolies I rolled out of it, but the curb & ditch totaled it out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
I hate perma bans they are sooo...permanent.
flipstyledsm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 08:00 AM   #25
Vegas Kid

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
07 R6-sold
12 TTR 50

New bike...get full coverage insurance.

Learn to make sure the kickstand is down when you get off...

Go get a 250 off craigslist for for $2K...ride for a month, then sell it for $2K ish..

Dropping your bike is not the issue...wrecking is..

Stay safe
Vegas Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 09-29-2015, 08:06 AM   #26
Jaynvius1

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
09 Kawasaki Ninja ZX10R
06 Honda CBR 600 RR

Member Garage

Take the MSF course, they will supply you with a bike of their own, no need to bring yours especially if you're worried about dropping it. On that note, you will drop your bike at one point of owning it. We all do that and it's bound to happen. Better dropping it then wrecking it. Learn to ride on it well and stop worrying about dropping it as that will lead you to doing so. Also, hit up Track Days, you will learn quite a bit there that will make you a better ride in track and the street.
Jaynvius1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 09:33 AM   #27
BryanE
CMRA #246

Bike(s):
2011 Ninja 250 Race
2007 R6 Race
2007 Ninja 500 Race
2011 YZ450F SuperMoto
2012 CBR 250 Race

Member Garage

Lots of Bubble Wrap!
BryanE is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 09-29-2015, 08:22 PM   #28
immanario

Quote:
not a matter of 'if' but 'when'. hence a lot of riders advise that you buy a used bike to learn on and then move on once you're confident. if you have the money, i'd suggest seeing if you can find something older and using that as a trainer. i dropped my 1st bike on my 1st left turn. haven't dropped my 2nd bike......................
immanario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 09:07 PM   #29
Bart
Thread killer

Bike(s):
2005 R6
'06 Suzuki Katana 750 (destroyed)

For the beginner, there's so much to learn - and it's not until you've gained some experience before you realize how much there is. It's just like learning anything else: playing an instrument, learning martial arts or boxing, etc. If you're learning to play guitar you're going to hit some wrong notes. When learning to ride you're going to hit some wrong notes (so to speak) too - and that means dropping your bike or taking a tumble.

Put it this way: there's numerous skills you're learning all at the same time. Each one takes time and/or training to master (i.e. more than a few days). This includes:

- throttle control
- braking control
- clutch control
- countersteering
- body position

So yes, taking the MSF BRC is an absolute "must" first step. Get safety gear; especially a helmet but also gloves, jacket, and riding boots and pants. Get insurance - and get full coverage if you can afford it since liability only covers other people's vehicles. Do all this before buying and riding your first bike.

After that: stay away from traffic until you get some practice time in. Before trying to mix it up with cars on "normal" roads:
- stay at low speeds at first
- get used to the basics: stop, start, turn, and starting while turning.
- practice at slightly higher speeds (30+ mph) before getting in traffic
- don't stress: there's tons of bikes with scratches, nearly everyone drops their bike somewhere along the line, and nobody else really gives a sh*t about a blemish on your plastics except you.

Good luck and ride safe bro
Old 10-05-2015, 05:45 PM   #30
AwesomeCycles
Office Manager

Welcome and Ride safe!
Old 10-13-2015, 09:50 AM   #31
Jaynvius1

Bike(s):
09 Kawasaki Ninja ZX10R
06 Honda CBR 600 RR

Member Garage

Or course, when finding a used bike, take it to places like Motorcycles Unlimited so that they can check to see if anything is wrong with the bike and definitely take the tips from these guys here in regards to finding your first bike. If the seller does not want to meet you in a place where a mechanic can look at it, then don't buy it. They are hiding something. You don't want anything too expensive for your first bike nor something too powerful.

And as always, make sure that you save some of your money for gear. IE: Helmet, jacket (for summer and winter as the "all season" just doesn't cut it sometimes as they are too hot for summer), gloves, boots, and even pants).
Jaynvius1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 10:01 AM   #32
Schooley
Herpagonnaisyphalitis

Bike(s):
ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaynvius1 View Post
Or course, when finding a used bike, take it to places like Motorcycles Unlimited so that they can check to see if anything is wrong with the bike and definitely take the tips from these guys here in regards to finding your first bike. If the seller does not want to meet you in a place where a mechanic can look at it, then don't buy it. They are hiding something. You don't want anything too expensive for your first bike nor something too powerful.

And as always, make sure that you save some of your money for gear. IE: Helmet, jacket (for summer and winter as the "all season" just doesn't cut it sometimes as they are too hot for summer), gloves, boots, and even pants).
7o73l
Schooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 10:37 AM   #33
HoustonHD

Bike(s):
2010 HD Ultra classic
'73 HD FX choppa!

you're gonna drop it eventually. Anyone who has a bike that's "never been dropped" hasn't ridden it very much.

Very similar to the saying "everyone goes down eventually". Its just another truth in riding.
HoustonHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 11:17 AM   #34
omer
SMR

Bike(s):
whatever is at the shop at the time ;)
2010 r1
2009 CBR1000RR
2006 GSXR600
2008 ZX10R