MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > News & Media > Motorcycle News & Media > Racing News
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2015, 12:30 PM   #1
NewsBot

Feedback Rating: (0)

Review Knox Leonard wax jacket quilted layer and armoured shirt 38997

Turns out Leonards as wet as he sounds

Luckily it wasn't raining when this picture was taken.

The Leonard wax jacket outer.

The quilted lining.

And the armoured shirt.

On a model.

I GAVE this jacket a positive review some months ago, adding that I’d update you when I’d established whether or not it’s waterproof.

That time has come and the answer is: it’s not.

By chance it wasn’t exposed to a single persistent downpour in the first few months of use. That all ended a couple of weeks ago, when it rained solidly on my 50-minute commute across London.

Taking the jacket off, indoors, I found my shirt sleeves were wet around about the inside of my elbow. The jacket lining was wet there too. There was another wet spot on my shirt near the top of my stomach. There’s no way this could have been the result of ingress from cuffs, collar or waist, unless the water was somehow able to leap to those wet patches, leaving elsewhere dry.

This was leakage, and quite disappointing in a jacket costing £250 for the wax outer alone.

A week later, the same thing happened again. This time the rain wasn't quite so heavy and not as much water got in, but there was still an unmistakable wet patch, and in the same spot, in the middle of my arm.

Shoulder, elbow and back armour goes in a zip-vest costing £99.99 and the quilted lining (which can be worn separately) is another £39.99.

I still think it’s a good-looking jacket, and the separate armour is an innovate idea which means it can be an everyday coat too. But this development basically rules it out for hardcore winter commuting.

For several years I did an 80-mile motorway commute, sometimes through December and January. For that, waterproof has to mean waterproof. And this just isn’t.

Tested: Knox Leonard Men's Wax Jacket (£249.99); armoured shirt (£99.99) and quilted jacket (£39.99)

Total price: £389.97

Colours: brown, black

Details

Related Content

Used: Tucano Urbano Steve AB jacket review
Wet weather motorcycle clothing guide
Used review: Knox Leonard wax jacket, quilted layer and armoured shirt (389.97)
Alpinestars 2014 Spring Addition
Tested: Weise Zurich jacket

More...
NewsBot is offline   Reply With Quote