MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2016, 06:53 AM   #141
pinball
I got slow
 
pinball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: SE
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 4,683

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2


Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)







Quote:
Originally Posted by rrozell View Post
Might be true(dmv vs CHP) although I can remember the CHP on the news stating they removed the guidelines. Something about being responsible for accidents in relation to not moving faster then 10-15mph(can't remember which anymore) then traffic was moving under the speed limit. But yes the DMV did also remove all there guideline literature from the offices.
You're right about CHP removing the safe filtering guideline, but I seem to remember it was because they didn't want it to be construed as a law that had to be enforced if someone didn't follow it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by bun1t View Post
Shelnutt thinks mechanics should work for free
pinball is online now   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TX Bill for lane splitting goes to committee (yes, another lane splitting thread) exalted512 General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 04-14-2011 05:35 PM
Lane Splitting in Texas? How about in Russia? Tojo92 General Discussion (Moto Related) 17 12-12-2010 03:55 AM
Texas Bill: SB 506 - Lane Splitting hotnanas General Discussion (Moto Related) 88 03-19-2009 01:44 PM
Texas Lane splitting. Get it passed! lazy-boy General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 02-20-2009 10:35 AM
Advertisement
Old 03-30-2016, 07:42 AM   #142
scoutguy
pack leeder
 
scoutguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: west houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,391

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Rocket III
95 Triumph Thunderbird
96 Triumph Daytona 1200-now Tojo92's toy
95 Triumph Speed Triple
KTM 990 ADV






Quote:
Originally Posted by rrozell View Post
I can say appreciate your knowledge in relation to this issue country wide. Most people are ignorant to these facts.
Have a sister that is one of the sups in DMV in Sacramento and know a few CHP officers as well. Issue is a rather debated one there as well. I exchange information with her as well as her with me in regards to trying to push this in this state. Wording is key in order to get it passed here though. As with anything else it just takes a few to display unsafe riding actions in traffic to make the majority as a whole look bad.
scoutguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 01:25 PM   #143
JPhilB
Senior Member
 
JPhilB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Pearland
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 140

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
Ducati 1098
Honda 919
Suzuki GS500E (sold long ago)







Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutguy View Post
To start with in Cali, it is actually illegal. It is accepted to ease traffic flow and there are guidelines which the CHP has laid out. In Texas it is currently illegal to lane split/filter. It was brought up in the last legislative session and did not make it through due to wording of the bill. It will be brought up in the next legislative session with different wording and guidelines and hopefully will make it this go around. Also the dead red light bill will come around in this next session. If there is anything else that is safety related that you would like to see bring it up. We are starting the push to meet the next legislative session.
What is the red light bill? Cameras?
JPhilB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 01:30 PM   #144
scoutguy
pack leeder
 
scoutguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: west houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,391

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Rocket III
95 Triumph Thunderbird
96 Triumph Daytona 1200-now Tojo92's toy
95 Triumph Speed Triple
KTM 990 ADV






Red stop light that does not cycle (turn green).
scoutguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 03-30-2016, 01:58 PM   #145
rhenriksen
Senior Member
 
rhenriksen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rice Military, Houston
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 983

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 GSXR-750 (sold)
'07 Bandit 1250
'03 CBR 600 racebike (parting out)
2013 Ducati Streetfighter 848
1984 Honda V65 Sabre (stolen)






Please let me know how I could participate & help w. the lobbying effort this session on the lane splitting bill!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutguy View Post
To start with in Cali, it is actually illegal. It is accepted to ease traffic flow and there are guidelines which the CHP has laid out. In Texas it is currently illegal to lane split/filter. It was brought up in the last legislative session and did not make it through due to wording of the bill. It will be brought up in the next legislative session with different wording and guidelines and hopefully will make it this go around. Also the dead red light bill will come around in this next session. If there is anything else that is safety related that you would like to see bring it up. We are starting the push to meet the next legislative session.
rhenriksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 02:23 PM   #146
EnduroJoe
Senior Member
 
EnduroJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 207


Bike(s):
02' KTM LC4 Enduro









Quote:
Originally Posted by rhenriksen View Post
Please let me know how I could participate & help w. the lobbying effort this session on the lane splitting bill!
Ditto. I would like to support both Bills.
EnduroJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 10:57 AM   #147
JPhilB
Senior Member
 
JPhilB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Pearland
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 140

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
Ducati 1098
Honda 919
Suzuki GS500E (sold long ago)







Quote:
Originally Posted by EnduroJoe View Post
Ditto. I would like to support both Bills.
+2

Put me on that bandwagon. And I know a lobbyist so I will try to get him involved. And he has a bike.
JPhilB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 11:17 AM   #148
zrx24
Member
 
zrx24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Austin, TX
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 60

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Kawasaki ZRX1200R
KTM 350 XCF-W
Yamaha R6 - track only







Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutguy View Post
To start with in Cali, it is actually illegal. It is accepted to ease traffic flow and there are guidelines which the CHP has laid out. In Texas it is currently illegal to lane split/filter. It was brought up in the last legislative session and did not make it through due to wording of the bill. It will be brought up in the next legislative session with different wording and guidelines and hopefully will make it this go around. Also the dead red light bill will come around in this next session. If there is anything else that is safety related that you would like to see bring it up. We are starting the push to meet the next legislative session.

Lane sharing is not illegal in California. It is not illegal in that there is not a law prohibiting it, therefore it is allowed. In Texas there is a law that prohibits lane sharing. So in Texas it is truly illegal.


I have been surprised to see an increasing number of people lane sharing here in central Texas. Specifically, I'm seeing an increase in the number of riders moving to the front of the line at red lights. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if they were riders that have migrated to central Texas from California. Seeing a whole lot of that as well.
zrx24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 11:19 AM   #149
EnduroJoe
Senior Member
 
EnduroJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 207


Bike(s):
02' KTM LC4 Enduro









Quote:
Originally Posted by zrx24 View Post
Lane sharing is not illegal in California. It is not illegal in that there is not a law prohibiting it, therefore it is allowed. In Texas there is a law that prohibits lane sharing. So in Texas it is truly illegal.


I have been surprised to see an increasing number of people lane sharing here in central Texas. Specifically, I'm seeing an increase in the number of riders moving to the front of the line at red lights. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if they were riders that have migrated to central Texas from California. Seeing a whole lot of that as well.
Just doing our part to desensitize Houstonian drivers
EnduroJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 04-01-2016, 11:27 AM   #150
zrx24
Member
 
zrx24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Austin, TX
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 60

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Kawasaki ZRX1200R
KTM 350 XCF-W
Yamaha R6 - track only







Quote:
Originally Posted by rrozell View Post
Might be true(dmv vs CHP) although I can remember the CHP on the news stating they removed the guidelines. Something about being responsible for accidents in relation to not moving faster then 10-15mph(can't remember which anymore) then traffic was moving under the speed limit. But yes the DMV did also remove all there guideline literature from the offices.

The issue was that law makers viewed the action as establishment of law, which is not the role of the Department of Motor Vehicles.
zrx24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 11:51 AM   #151
Repth
Keyboard Warrior
 
Repth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Austin
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 3,638

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R









Quote:
Originally Posted by zrx24 View Post
Lane sharing is not illegal in California. It is not illegal in that there is not a law prohibiting it, therefore it is allowed. In Texas there is a law that prohibits lane sharing. So in Texas it is truly illegal.


I have been surprised to see an increasing number of people lane sharing here in central Texas. Specifically, I'm seeing an increase in the number of riders moving to the front of the line at red lights. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if they were riders that have migrated to central Texas from California. Seeing a whole lot of that as well.
Can you point me to the section of the Texas traffic code that explicitly outlaws lane splitting?
__________________
"I learned long ago never to wrestle with a pig. You end up getting dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
- George Bernard Shaw
Repth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 12:20 PM   #152
TMAX
Forever MODERATE
 
TMAX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Cy-Fair
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 4,976

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
TMAX (Retired in California)
Xciting 500
XT 225
Duke 2
C14 & FZ6






motocops lane share
__________________
BORC wannabe
TMAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 04-01-2016, 12:21 PM   #153
TMAX
Forever MODERATE
 
TMAX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Cy-Fair
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 4,976

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
TMAX (Retired in California)
Xciting 500
XT 225
Duke 2
C14 & FZ6






and sharing is caring
__________________
BORC wannabe
TMAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 04-01-2016, 01:05 PM   #154
zrx24
Member
 
zrx24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Austin, TX
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 60

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Kawasaki ZRX1200R
KTM 350 XCF-W
Yamaha R6 - track only







Lane Splitting for Texas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repth View Post
Can you point me to the section of the Texas traffic code that explicitly outlaws lane splitting?

Sec. 545.060 (1)

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.u...45.htm#545.060

In Texas, courts do not view it practical for motorcycles to attempt to share a lane with a car or truck. It is not viewed as being entirely within the lane. Courts do however view it practical for two motorcycles to share a lane since they can easily stay entirely within a single lane.

Last edited by zrx24; 04-01-2016 at 01:08 PM.
zrx24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 01:39 PM   #155
Repth
Keyboard Warrior
 
Repth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Austin
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 3,638

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R









Quote:
Originally Posted by zrx24 View Post
Sec. 545.060 (1)

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.u...45.htm#545.060

In Texas, courts do not view it practical for motorcycles to attempt to share a lane with a car or truck. It is not viewed as being entirely within the lane. Courts do however view it practical for two motorcycles to share a lane since they can easily stay entirely within a single lane.
As I've said before (probably in this thread, in fact), the California traffic code is identical to the Texas traffic code in the sense that they both make this exact same statement. This is also section that people seem to almost unanimously use to suggest that lane splitting is explicitly illegal in Texas.

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/di...le=21650-21664

Have a look at section 21658.
__________________
"I learned long ago never to wrestle with a pig. You end up getting dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
- George Bernard Shaw
Repth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 01:51 PM   #156
zrx24
Member
 
zrx24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Austin, TX
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 60

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Kawasaki ZRX1200R
KTM 350 XCF-W
Yamaha R6 - track only







Quote:
Originally Posted by Repth View Post
As I've said before (probably in this thread, in fact), the California traffic code is identical to the Texas traffic code in the sense that they both make this exact same statement. This is also section that people seem to almost unanimously use to suggest that lane splitting is explicitly illegal in Texas.

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/di...le=21650-21664

Have a look at section 21658.


Not at all "identical." California's laws are written in a manner that focuses more on ease of passing and traffic flow rather than vehicles staying within a specific lane. There is no mention of placement of vehicles within lanes of traffic as there is in Texas law. On the contrary, it is stated that vehicles being passed need to move to the side of the road to help make room for passing vehicles. This is one reason why in California you'll see the vehicles in the far left lane typically staying to the left side of their lane, which allows more room for motorcycles to pass. In all cases though, vehicles must stay on the paved roadway that is intended for vehicular travel. So you can be ticketed if you try to pass vehicles on the shoulders in CA (even if you manage to stay within the lane I learned). That is not considered lane share since you are no longer on the "road."

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/fa...r=3.&article=3.

Last edited by zrx24; 04-01-2016 at 01:55 PM.
zrx24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 03:09 PM   #157
Repth
Keyboard Warrior
 
Repth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Austin
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 3,638

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R









Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Traffic Code Section 545.060
DRIVING ON ROADWAY LANED FOR TRAFFIC. (a) An operator on a roadway divided into two or more clearly marked lanes for traffic:

(1) shall drive as nearly as practical entirely within a single lane; and

(2) may not move from the lane unless that movement can be made safely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by California Traffic Code Section 21658
Whenever any roadway has been divided into two or more
clearly marked lanes for traffic in one direction, the following
rules apply:
(a) A vehicle shall be driven as nearly as practical entirely
within a single lane and shall not be moved from the lane until such
movement can be made with reasonable safety.
Yeah, those are not identical at all. In case you have forgotten, this is the section of the Texas traffic code that you stated several posts ago is responsible for outlawing lane splitting.
__________________
"I learned long ago never to wrestle with a pig. You end up getting dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
- George Bernard Shaw
Repth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 03:50 PM   #158
zrx24
Member
 
zrx24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Austin, TX
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 60

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Kawasaki ZRX1200R
KTM 350 XCF-W
Yamaha R6 - track only







Quote:
Originally Posted by Repth View Post
Yeah, those are not identical at all. In case you have forgotten, this is the section of the Texas traffic code that you stated several posts ago is responsible for outlawing lane splitting.
Sorry, I was referring to the section of CA's traffic code that governs passing when stating that the two codes are not identical. As I stated earlier, it is that section governing passing that each State apparently relies on in their interpretation of lane sharing.

Texas does not allow cars to pass within the same lane (as we know), but does allow the use of the shoulders in cases. Whereas CA does not allow use of the shoulders, but instead allows the lanes to be shared and stipulates that cars being overtaken must move to the outside of their lane or edge of the road. Texas does not make that stipulation, which alters their view or interpretation of what is practical when it comes to vehicles being able to remain entirely within a lane.

In CA you can be ticketed for riding the stripes, based on the section of their code that you've pointed out as being the same as Texas. So in that regard both States agree.
zrx24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 04:15 PM   #159
Track_Graphics
Senior Member
 
Track_Graphics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,567

Experience: 10+ years











Big FYI---
If you are not aware:
The Texas legislature put forth a new house petition specifically calling for "Open Traffic Advancement" aimed at letting 2 wheeled motorcycles pass either between traffic or on the left most part of the roadway (if paved) of traffic moving less than 10 mph or stopped. Maximum speed, for 2 wheeled motorcycles only, not to exceed 35 mph for a distance not to exceed 1000 yards. Motorcycle operators enacting OTA must be wearing a helmet. Said house petition is expected to pass to referendum and be voted on before 06/28/2016. House petition OTA-4.1.16 submitted today. I can't believe you read this and actually got excited.
__________________
Coolest Paint Jobs Ever
Track_Graphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 04:51 PM   #160
EnduroJoe
Senior Member
 
EnduroJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 207


Bike(s):
02' KTM LC4 Enduro









Quote:
Originally Posted by Track_Graphics View Post
Big FYI---
If you are not aware:
The Texas legislature put forth a new house petition specifically calling for "Open Traffic Advancement" aimed at letting 2 wheeled motorcycles pass either between traffic or on the left most part of the roadway (if paved) of traffic moving less than 10 mph or stopped. Maximum speed, for 2 wheeled motorcycles only, not to exceed 35 mph for a distance not to exceed 1000 yards. Motorcycle operators enacting OTA must be wearing a helmet. Said house petition is expected to pass to referendum and be voted on before 06/28/2016. House petition OTA-4.1.16 submitted today. I can't believe you read this and actually got excited.
Might have been half believable if the legislature were in session... But they are not until Jan. 2017.
EnduroJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:11 PM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy