MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2016, 02:15 PM   #121
green600
My PM box is a safe space

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMAX View Post
lets be real as cagers who ride motorcycles.

i am not looking for a motorcycle when I change lanes in traffic. i should, but i catch myself thinking, "man i would've been smashed".
Ride your own ride.

yeah. I thought it'd be like riding with a condescending rossi.
green600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TX Bill for lane splitting goes to committee (yes, another lane splitting thread) exalted512 General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 04-14-2011 05:35 PM
Lane Splitting in Texas? How about in Russia? Tojo92 General Discussion (Moto Related) 17 12-12-2010 03:55 AM
Texas Bill: SB 506 - Lane Splitting hotnanas General Discussion (Moto Related) 88 03-19-2009 01:44 PM
Texas Lane splitting. Get it passed! lazy-boy General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 02-20-2009 10:35 AM
Advertisement
Old 03-07-2016, 02:21 PM   #122
EnergyHOU

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
2015 KTM RC 390

Quote:
lets be real as cagers who ride motorcycles.

i am not looking for a motorcycle when I change lanes in traffic. i should, but i catch myself thinking, "man i would've been smashed".
I'd like to say I do, but nope, I don't.
EnergyHOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 02:51 PM   #123
flipstyledsm22
Lets go fishing!

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
1994 FLSTC Pro-Street Chopper
1964 Tote Gote
2003 GSXR600 - SOLD
2004 ZX6R - SOLD
1986 VFR750 - SOLD

Send a message via Yahoo to flipstyledsm22
Looks like he should of wheelie over that car... he doesn't know how to ride a bike properly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
I hate perma bans they are sooo...permanent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamelToe View Post
Alright who did it?
flipstyledsm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 09:24 AM   #124
rrozell

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
L3 GSX R600

I have said it before and will say it again. I lived in Cali for 9 yrs where it's legal and everywhere should have it. The freeway would part like the river Jordan if there was traffic. Call the cagers knew what us up and would give you space. Never saw a lane spilting accident myself(although it happens). If they legalize it it would take another 5 yrs for all cagers to even realize it was legal and another 5 yrs for them not to be jerks about it. But we have to start somewhere.
Old 03-13-2016, 01:24 PM   #125
silverslug00

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrozell View Post
I have said it before and will say it again. I lived in Cali for 9 yrs where it's legal and everywhere should have it. The freeway would part like the river Jordan if there was traffic. Call the cagers knew what us up and would give you space. Never saw a lane spilting accident myself(although it happens). If they legalize it it would take another 5 yrs for all cagers to even realize it was legal and another 5 yrs for them not to be jerks about it. But we have to start somewhere.
Learned to ride in Cali. First day after my MSF course and passing cali street law I was on the roads splitting lanes.
silverslug00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 08:27 AM   #126
rhenriksen

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 GSXR-750 (sold)
'07 Bandit 1250
'03 CBR 600 racebike (parting out)
2013 Ducati Streetfighter 848
1984 Honda V65 Sabre (stolen)

Quote:
Quoted for truth
rhenriksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 03-18-2016, 09:13 PM   #127
ianmko

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2014 Burgman 200 ABS

I came to this thread to learn the safety of lane splitting. Mostly, I just heard a bunch of opinions about legality and safety, which was informative enough but not very useful. I am not an expert rider, but I'm not overly bold either. My very first day riding I saw the appeal of lane splitting, because my commute to/from work involves seemingly more time waiting in traffic than moving.

Currently, it's not legal in Texas. Safety is mostly a judgment call derived from speed, riding skill, and traffic flow. Stopped vehicles at a red light that cannot change lanes are overall pretty safe to pass at 10mph, if there's room. They are usually NOT watching or waiting for you to sidle up on past them, or appear at their front corner at the light. In my limited experience, the biggest judgment call is timing the light so you arrive up front before it turns green. Because in my mind, nothing seems more unsafe than lane splitting towards a red light that then turns green, and not having a lane to settle into, with a driver who has time to recognize your presence. Startled or unaware drivers are dangerous drivers, because they aren't factoring you into their acceleration.

Last edited by ianmko; 03-18-2016 at 09:15 PM.
ianmko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 06:45 PM   #128
Sudo
Banned

User is banned

Last edited by a forum moderator; 03-20-2016 at 10:50 AM.
Sudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 12:56 PM   #129
EnduroJoe

Bike(s):
02' KTM LC4 Enduro

Pulled over splitting.

Was splitting on my home last night. Two moto-cops pulled me over. I was respectful right from the beginning and the three of us had a decent talk about the issue. I told them that I just wish it were legal because I do not like sitting between these morons while the update their facebook status in heavy traffic. Officer says but then you will have guys screaming threw traffic at 80 miles an hour. I say "so we should punish everyone because knuckle heads will be knuckle heads? They both nod to agree with my point. Just as they nod- a cager locks up her breaks and stops just before hitting the cage in front of her!!! I said, "SEEEE!!!!" They gave me a warning
EnduroJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 03-29-2016, 01:25 PM   #130
TMAX
Forever MODERATE

Bike(s):
TMAX (Retired in California)
Xciting 500
XT 225
Duke 2
C14 & FZ6

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnduroJoe View Post
Was splitting on my home last night. Two moto-cops pulled me over. I was respectful right from the beginning and the three of us had a decent talk about the issue. I told them that I just wish it were legal because I do not like sitting between these morons while the update their facebook status in heavy traffic. Officer says but then you will have guys screaming threw traffic at 80 miles an hour. I say "so we should punish everyone because knuckle heads will be knuckle heads? They both nod to agree with my point. Just as they nod- a cager locks up her breaks and stops just before hitting the cage in front of her!!! I said, "SEEEE!!!!" They gave me a warning
sweet.

i gotta a story where a motocop and me split opposite of traffic waiting on a train, then split till we got out of that mess. true story
Old 03-29-2016, 01:31 PM   #131
EnduroJoe

Bike(s):
02' KTM LC4 Enduro

Quote:
sweet.

i gotta a story where a motocop and me split opposite of traffic waiting on a train, then split till we got out of that mess. true story
I have a similar story on the HOV. Which is why I have been splitting everyday for over a year now virtually care free..until yesterday. I doubt I will be so luckily as to get a free pass if they see me today.. Riding in this town is just not worth it to me if I have to sit on 59 for hour everyday.
Old 03-29-2016, 01:40 PM   #132
EnduroJoe

Bike(s):
02' KTM LC4 Enduro

Quote:
sweet.

Re-read your post. Ya'll were going against traffic! That is awesome. Should have bought him a beer!
Old 03-29-2016, 02:51 PM   #133
flipstyledsm22
Lets go fishing!

Bike(s):
1994 FLSTC Pro-Street Chopper
1964 Tote Gote
2003 GSXR600 - SOLD
2004 ZX6R - SOLD
1986 VFR750 - SOLD

Send a message via Yahoo to flipstyledsm22
Quote:
I have a similar story on the HOV. Which is why I have been splitting everyday for over a year now virtually care free..until yesterday. I doubt I will be so luckily as to get a free pass if they see me today.. Riding in this town is just not worth it to me if I have to sit on 59 for hour everyday.
Joe, I'm sure the Galleria pays hand-over-fist for workers, but dude... there are plenty of jobs on the SE side of town You're going to drive yourself crazy with all them yay-hoo's on 59!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
I hate perma bans they are sooo...permanent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamelToe View Post
Alright who did it?
flipstyledsm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 02:56 PM   #134
EnduroJoe

Bike(s):
02' KTM LC4 Enduro

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipstyledsm22 View Post
Joe, I'm sure the Galleria pays hand-over-fist for workers, but dude... there are plenty of jobs on the SE side of town You're going to drive yourself crazy with all them yay-hoo's on 59!
Trust me, I am looking for something closer...
To be honest though I have really learned to enjoy my journey to and from. For almost 2 hours a day I get to ride my bike and have many stories to tell because of it! They are ya-hoos but man are they entertaining.
Old 03-29-2016, 03:07 PM   #135
TMAX
Forever MODERATE

Bike(s):
TMAX (Retired in California)
Xciting 500
XT 225
Duke 2
C14 & FZ6

Quote:
Trust me, I am looking for something closer...
To be honest though I have really learned to enjoy my journey to and from. For almost 2 hours a day I get to ride my bike and have many stories to tell because of it! They are ya-hoos but man are they entertaining.
agreed.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:26 PM   #136
scoutguy
pack leeder

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Rocket III
95 Triumph Thunderbird
96 Triumph Daytona 1200-now Tojo92's toy
95 Triumph Speed Triple
KTM 990 ADV

Quote:
To start with in Cali, it is actually illegal. It is accepted to ease traffic flow and there are guidelines which the CHP has laid out. In Texas it is currently illegal to lane split/filter. It was brought up in the last legislative session and did not make it through due to wording of the bill. It will be brought up in the next legislative session with different wording and guidelines and hopefully will make it this go around. Also the dead red light bill will come around in this next session. If there is anything else that is safety related that you would like to see bring it up. We are starting the push to meet the next legislative session.
scoutguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 03-30-2016, 05:40 AM   #137
rrozell

Bike(s):
L3 GSX R600

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutguy View Post
To start with in Cali, it is actually illegal. It is accepted to ease traffic flow and there are guidelines which the CHP has laid out. In Texas it is currently illegal to lane split/filter. It was brought up in the last legislative session and did not make it through due to wording of the bill. It will be brought up in the next legislative session with different wording and guidelines and hopefully will make it this go around. Also the dead red light bill will come around in this next session. If there is anything else that is safety related that you would like to see bring it up. We are starting the push to meet the next legislative session.
Actually CHP removed there guidelines almost 2.5yrs ago.
Old 03-30-2016, 06:03 AM   #138
scoutguy
pack leeder

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Rocket III
95 Triumph Thunderbird
96 Triumph Daytona 1200-now Tojo92's toy
95 Triumph Speed Triple
KTM 990 ADV

Quote:
Actually CHP removed there guidelines almost 2.5yrs ago.
Actually it wasn't the CHP that removed the guidelines, it was the DMV which removed it from their website and printed materials. Although technically not illegal is still not legal. You should see passing of it as soon making it legal and will have guidelines.
scoutguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 06:13 AM   #139
rrozell

Bike(s):
L3 GSX R600

Quote:
Actually it wasn't the CHP that removed the guidelines, it was the DMV which removed it from their website and printed materials. Although technically not illegal is still not legal. You should see passing of it as soon making it legal and will have guidelines.
Might be true(dmv vs CHP) although I can remember the CHP on the news stating they removed the guidelines. Something about being responsible for accidents in relation to not moving faster then 10-15mph(can't remember which anymore) then traffic was moving under the speed limit. But yes the DMV did also remove all there guideline literature from the offices.
Old 03-30-2016, 06:14 AM   #140
rrozell

Bike(s):
L3 GSX R600

Quote:
I can say appreciate your knowledge in relation to this issue country wide. Most people are ignorant to these facts.

Advertisement