MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2016, 05:11 PM   #81
Track_Graphics

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuck View Post
you're skippy. I've never had a desire to split cars at mach speeds. 10-15 mph over their speed while under 20 mph....no big deal....even on 290 where lane widths are less than ideal. legal or not, I'll still do it. Calculated risk....
Right skippy. I'm only asking "why" you do it. I've read enough of your posts to know you're prolly gonna be pretty straight up about it. You wouldn't say it's because your tires start to get flat spots or some other BS reason.

So - you do it just because you want to, right? I don't have a problem with that reason.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TX Bill for lane splitting goes to committee (yes, another lane splitting thread) exalted512 General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 04-14-2011 05:35 PM
Lane Splitting in Texas? How about in Russia? Tojo92 General Discussion (Moto Related) 17 12-12-2010 03:55 AM
Texas Bill: SB 506 - Lane Splitting hotnanas General Discussion (Moto Related) 88 03-19-2009 01:44 PM
Texas Lane splitting. Get it passed! lazy-boy General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 02-20-2009 10:35 AM
Advertisement
Old 01-06-2016, 05:12 PM   #82
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track_Graphics View Post
Sorry, I guess I got a little over your head. You're believing that riders that want like to "lane split" at ludicrous speed will obey the "limits" as defined in a law. Or do you think they will bend the livin out of it just like "one vehicle occupying one lane at a time" law that (if you have a good lawyer) already possibly allows for weaving back and forth over the line by mere inches?
You got a little over my head? Are you fundamentally retarded, or just pretending? If they currently obey the law of the road when it comes to speeding and splitting, what makes you think that after filtering is made legal they will suddenly decide to stop following the law? And if they already don't follow the law... Then why are we having this conversation?
Old 01-06-2016, 05:16 PM   #83
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:
Right skippy. I'm only asking "why" you do it. I've read enough of your posts to know you're prolly gonna be pretty straight up about it. You wouldn't say it's because your tires start to get flat spots or some other BS reason.

So - you do it just because you want to, right? I don't have a problem with that reason.
because it's hot as , my bike is hot as at idle for 45 minutes and there is adequate space that I can occupy between the solid lines. I don't split to the front of red light traffic either just to be the one in front (unless traffic is 3 light rotations deep). flat spots? no. I do it to save time, my sanity and to keep from being run over by some idiot texting and coasting during traffic.

Last edited by dbuck; 01-06-2016 at 05:20 PM.
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 01-06-2016, 05:17 PM   #84
Track_Graphics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repth View Post
Then why are we having this conversation?
Yeah, I guess your right. You can leave now.
Old 01-06-2016, 05:19 PM   #85
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:
Yeah, I guess your right. You can leave now.
Gee thanks, I was solely waiting on your permission
Old 01-06-2016, 05:20 PM   #86
Buelligan

2015 KTM 200 xc-w
2012 Triumph Street Triple
2008 KTM 144sx
2005 TTR125e (wife's)

here you go, learn to lane split Russian style

Buelligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 05:52 PM   #87
Track_Graphics

Quote:
Gee thanks, I was solely waiting on your permission
Last chance -
So why do you want to lane split? And don't LIE ya filthy animal. Don't try and fool me just kuz I'm detached and fundamentally retarded.

See - dbuck gave me a nice, honest, simple answer. I have no pain in my head now.
Can ya do it?? I'll give you a cookie.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:13 PM   #88
EnduroJoe

Bike(s):
02' KTM LC4 Enduro

Ugh, why does anyone NEED to convince you? Sit in traffic or don't. Should give you a decent opportunity to take a picture of me as I breeze on by.
EnduroJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 01-06-2016, 06:16 PM   #89
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

Do I want to lane split at > 20mph? Yes.

That will not affect the legality of splitting over 20 mph

I don't see where the confusion is.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:36 PM   #90
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:
Last chance -
So why do you want to lane split? And don't LIE ya filthy animal. Don't try and fool me just kuz I'm detached and fundamentally retarded.

See - dbuck gave me a nice, honest, simple answer. I have no pain in my head now.
Can ya do it?? I'll give you a cookie.
Because:
  • lane filtering saves me time
  • lane filtering is safer for me
  • lane filtering reduces the traffic queue and benefits everyone
  • there are literally no downsides to lane filtering

And in paragraph form, in case you prefer... I like it because it saves me a lot of time, it's a lot safer for me than sitting in traffic, it saves everyone else on the road a tiny bit of time for every motorcycle that is filtering rather than sitting in traffic, and it serves to the detriment of absolutely no other motorist on the road with me.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:39 PM   #91
Track_Graphics

I don't NEED to be convinced. Don't know where you picked that up. I'd do it if it was legal.
I'm not confused. There's no confusion. Don't know why confusion came into this.

People have motives that they don't want to reveal so they give BS reasons as cover.

No confusion or convincing needed. Just throwing a challenge out. Riders that wanna swerve traffic at 80 because it's crazy fun won't admit that kuz obviously that won't help get a favorable splittin law in place. But if a favorable and reasonable splitting law DOES get passed - who would split on 610 at 80 and when they get caught try to invoke the law in their favor by bending the 773H out of it?
Old 01-06-2016, 06:43 PM   #92
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:
I don't NEED to be convinced. Don't know where you picked that up. I'd do it if it was legal.
I'm not confused. There's no confusion. Don't know why confusion came into this.

People have motives that they don't want to reveal so they give BS reasons as cover.

No confusion or convincing needed. Just throwing a challenge out. Riders that wanna swerve traffic at 80 because it's crazy fun won't admit that kuz obviously that won't help get a favorable splittin law in place. But if a favorable and reasonable splitting law DOES get passed - who would split on 610 at 80 and when they get caught try to invoke the law in their favor by bending the 773H out of it?
Not me. If I'm riding like a hooligan and I get popped, I'll take my lashes.
Liked this post:
Old 01-06-2016, 06:44 PM   #93
EnduroJoe

Bike(s):
02' KTM LC4 Enduro

Quote:

Like asking: If open carry is passed, who is going to carry around a rocket launcher?
EnduroJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 06:46 PM   #94
Track_Graphics

Quote:
And in paragraph form, in case you prefer... .
Oh no - don't really need the paragraph. Bullet points were cool. I printed it out and drew some circles and arrows on the back of it explaining what each one was. Yer a talanted little . Do you have an office job per chance?

You're prolly someone I really wouldn't mind riding with.

Sorry about your cookie. I put it in my back pocket and sat on it. I'm sure it still tastes good.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:53 PM   #95
Track_Graphics

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnduroJoe View Post
Like asking: If open carry is passed, who is going to carry around a rocket launcher?
If rocket launchers were legal don't you think some fool would have a go at it? Geeze it was only last year we had kooks going into Target carrying rifles because they could.

You're getting off topic. There's a gun forum for this.

I'd like to see it legalized. Splitting that is.... but I just wonder how many jerk riders would try to bend it to cover themselves when they go apeshit and get caught.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:38 AM   #96
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

When the city opens a road to the public with a speed limit of 55 mph, you can't use that as justification for driving 70 mph on it.

When I split, why do I do it? Honestly, because I can, and I can do it safely. I typically don't if traffic is moving at all, because the last thing I want is for someone to pull their car into me claiming they didn't see me, or that I ignored their signal. But I see no reason to add to the congestion and put myself in greater danger, either from vehicles (how many accidents do you see on the highway where traffic was slowing down and one car rear-ends another because they weren't paying attention?) or from heat (a very real danger in Houston summers if you're sitting for any length of time fully geared up).

Ciaka: I respect your right to have your own opinion, but that doesn't stop me from seeing a logical fallacy in your reasoning behind it. I know a lot of riders who don't think that splitting should be legal, and I just don't agree, but my opinion is based on the numerous traffic studies that show that it is both safer for motorcyclists and beneficial to traffic flow. I can't justify wanting to outlaw (or keep illegal) behavior that is beneficial to everyone based on the idea that some people are going to abuse it.
Old 01-15-2016, 12:02 AM   #97
ciaka

Bike(s):
In between bikes

I thought I saw my name somewhere on the interweb.
Yeah I know. I would never like doing it in NorCal Bay Area. Every day there are splitting related crashes and many are deaths too (not hard imagine why). Combine that with mentality of residents, that they can do whatever and whenever you feel like it, then add hoards of folks who come here from countries that have only one road in the country, and you get a kamikaze melting pot that this area is. Having lived in Texas I can say their driving etiquette is orders of magnitude better from NorCal. I'm sure it would work better. Over here, nah, thanks. I can't count how many times I saw a rider kick a car because he wanted to split and expected the cars to just move over before he splits. No kidding. Over last 2 years at least 50 times easy.
One thing I can say if one of them touched my car in that way, my temporary insanity would kick in and they would not ride a bike again.

We riders alway's think we are riding safely and our maneuvers are only done when safe. However consideration should be given to all others on road before doing anything. They may think you're very unsafe just because they are not familiar with the bike and riding. Don't blame them. Consideration should be given.

In all, you have your bike to ride, and would split. I have mine and would not even if allowed unless safe. Different opinions. Neither are wrong. They're our opinions.

Ride on. Safely. And respect the law.

i sprained my fingers again with all that typing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae View Post

Ciaka: ....
ciaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 01-15-2016, 07:43 AM   #98
flipstyledsm22
Lets go fishing!

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
1994 FLSTC Pro-Street Chopper
1964 Tote Gote
2003 GSXR600 - SOLD
2004 ZX6R - SOLD
1986 VFR750 - SOLD

Send a message via Yahoo to flipstyledsm22
I experienced a car trying to lane split on me multiple times last night on the way to Dayton. At first I thought maybe it was by accident because she may have not seen me, but then she did it again on 3 different occasions. I'm in a company truck and she is in a Nissan Sentra, I'm in the right lane with my cruise control set on 70, and she is just hovering next to me... sometimes she will drop behind and then sometimes she will pull a little ahead. I increased my speed and even decelerated, but the was always there. Anyways, every time we would come up on a vehicle that was doing 65-70 mph in her lane (left), she would just merge into the middle and attempt to split between me and the other car. I even blocked her at one point and she still bulldogged my into slowing down to let here take over the lane... after that I hung back as best as I could and watched a Nissan Titan ride inches off her bumper and then overtook her by passing her in the median lane. When we finally reached HWY 90, I pulled up right next to her and saw that she was face timing someone... SMH. I'm tired of getting so worked up over bad drivers and trust me... there are tons of them everywhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
I hate perma bans they are sooo...permanent.
flipstyledsm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 07:56 AM   #99
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipstyledsm22 View Post
When we finally reached HWY 90, I pulled up right next to her and saw that she was face timing someone... SMH.
I was just about to post I'll bet that was texting or with her phone. 9 times out of 10 when I come up on a slow mother or someone wandering out of their lane it's because they're with their phone. This happens every day I'm on the road.

In Dallas a woman was driving and face timing with her husband around Christmas when a tornado flipped her SUV and killed her.

http://fox8.com/2015/12/29/woman-swe...-with-husband/

Last edited by Bevo; 01-15-2016 at 07:59 AM.
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 01-15-2016, 09:14 AM   #100
djs
biker geek

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
13 Street Triple R.

My $0.02. Mostly repeating what has already been said but maybe we can drown out the idiocy (or maybe I'm feeding the trolls)

Lane Splitting can be done in a safe manner and it can be done in an unsafe manner. That's why we need a law that sets that line to get maximum benefit with minimum carnage.

The logical fallacies in this thread are mind numbing. Saying you should not have a law that enables some benefit at some risk because people will exceed the limit is the height of irrational.

Correct me if wrong, but the anti argument boils down to 2 points:
  1. No lane legal lane splitting is better than any legal lane splitting because people will exceed any limits and cause death and mayhem
  2. Lane splitting is bad because the motivation for wanting it is evil, selfish, hooliganistic, unholy desire to rage through traffic like a maniac

Point two is easy to shoot down. The motivation is totally irrelevant to the cost / benefit of a law. If I want to lane split so I don't smell my farts at a traffic stop that has no impact on whether the net benefit versus cost to society is positive or negative. Motivation for a law has no impact on the value of a law. To say otherwise is an argument from emotion, not logic.

To point 1, you're basically arguing that motorcyclists are basically children that can't handle any freedom because they lack the self control to moderate their behavior. That's a lot like saying Texas should have never raised the speed limit from 55 to 70 because people want to go 90. It just does not follow. Yes there is a population that will always want to push the limits but that does not change the fact that the limit increase was generally a good thing for all Texans. Safety was not significantly negatively impacted [1] and people spent less time in traffic and goods got delivered faster.

I get the sinking feeling I've just wasted 20 minutes of my life typing this post but I feel better....
David
djs is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:

Advertisement