MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2016, 12:16 PM   #61
ciaka

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
In between bikes

...if you survive there, Texas highways are a cake. Congrats on survival.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMAX View Post
im a veteran of California Highways.

Split or die.

especially PCH during rush hour
ciaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TX Bill for lane splitting goes to committee (yes, another lane splitting thread) exalted512 General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 04-14-2011 05:35 PM
Lane Splitting in Texas? How about in Russia? Tojo92 General Discussion (Moto Related) 17 12-12-2010 03:55 AM
Texas Bill: SB 506 - Lane Splitting hotnanas General Discussion (Moto Related) 88 03-19-2009 01:44 PM
Texas Lane splitting. Get it passed! lazy-boy General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 02-20-2009 10:35 AM
Advertisement
Old 01-06-2016, 12:23 PM   #62
ciaka

Bike(s):
In between bikes

I've had friends from work given tickets for even having cell phones near them once stopped.
The law prohibits any use of cell phone (has to be totally 100% hands free before you start driving).
3 of my friends (different incident each), driving to work, not veering off, pulled over. One of them (his wife), had cell phone on center console powered on. Not touching. Bam - ticket.

Another friend, driving on 280 (local hwy), pulled over. Cell phone on center console. Not touching it. Cop looked at it, and told him thats not hands free even though he was not touching, but maps were on. Bam - ticket.

Another person, driving on local streets, was using phone but while on center console. Pulled over, cop saw cell phone on console while turned on, bam - ticket.

So the law says one thing, enforcement of the law is quite another. Beware in CA - better mount on cell phone mount and have BT enabled, or you will really risk ticket for these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
Just curious, what's the law for cell phone use by drivers in CA? In Houston drivers wander out of their lanes frequently.
Liked this post:
Old 01-06-2016, 12:25 PM   #63
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2006 SV650S(sold)(happy now?)
Toes Ducati Multistrada(what now buck?)

how in the did the cop notice the phone on the center console?

Dude I drive around with 24 ounce beers opened in my center console by cops all the time and have never been pulled over for it.
Flip Flop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 12:28 PM   #64
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelnutt View Post
Dude I drive around with 24 ounce beers opened in my center console by cops all the time and have never been pulled over for it.
That's how democrats roll
Bevo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 12:35 PM   #65
ciaka

Bike(s):
In between bikes

It is not the law I have issues with here. Legal and thats all fine. It is the guidelines that California put onto the web site to follow (subsequently even removing it all together), that put in ambiguities.
That combined with lax interpretation gives you a very dangerous environment.

Lane splitting is intended to have moto users fill in the gaps between cars in SLOW moving traffic. The guidelines set are under 20 mph, and when approaching lights or stopping traffic.
Then you have vast majority of people splitting at pace at least 30-50mph over the speed of others (so in 20mph traffic, they ride at 50-70mph).
Even in 70mph traffic, you are guaranteed to see most moto riders split lanes.

You would not want to put an advanced level rider on same track session with novice group, would you? No. That speed differential is what creates the potential, combined with unpredictability of novice riders and being new to environment. Similarly, having drivers and riders together in close proximity (as with splitting you are within less than a foot of another car often), at much higher speed than they are. You do the math here.

I do not like the way the law is enforced. Period. Also, those riding like a$$holes, give the rest of us a bad reputation.
I know some on here see differently, and that is perfectly fine. Come to see traffic here and you will see what I mean. Those people from other countries that come here with their 3rd world driver license skills, mix up with all the above - it is a very dangerous dynamic.

I know saying 'I wished they banned it' gets you all riled up. Yes, words are heavy but your idea of lane splitting would be a totally different beast in TX. Trust me on that. It is not a right to split, it is a privilege and should be treated as such.

All that said, have a great day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae View Post
...You can't point to illegal (and irresponsible) behavior and use it as an argument to ban the legal behavior.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kacfiz View Post
Boom

That seems to be the go to argument for banning a lot of things...
Liked this post:
Old 01-06-2016, 12:51 PM   #66
TMAX
Forever MODERATE

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
TMAX (Retired in California)
Xciting 500
XT 225
Duke 2
C14 & FZ6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaka View Post
Then you have vast majority of people splitting at pace at least 30-50mph over the speed of others (so in 20mph traffic, they ride at 50-70mph).
Hyperbole I tell ya.

HOwever yes when traffic is going 70mph, you may catch a few doing 75-80 which may seem like alot but is not.
Old 01-06-2016, 01:46 PM   #67
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

Quote:
All that said, have a great day.
I'm not saying your assessment of observed behavior is wrong, and I would agree that if it's not being enforced, it should be, but that is an entirely different animal than saying all splitting should be illegal, when the offending behavior already is.

I've been on rides here where people split on the freeways at high speed, and the discussed proposal to make splitting legal would not (in my opinion) encourage that type of behavior, but allow safe(r) splitting for those of us who would like to do it within the proposed guidelines (traffic at or near a stop) without fear of a ticket or worse (actually had a sheriff deputy threaten to arrest me and charge me with reckless driving for riding the line between lanes at an honest walking pace with traffic stopped on 59 one morning).
Old 01-06-2016, 02:38 PM   #68
Kacfiz
The Kac

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
1990 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6D (Sold)
2013 Suzuki SFV650 Gladius

Quote:
Also, those riding like a$$holes, give the rest of us a bad reputation.
Yea and people who shoot up schools give gun owners a bad name
Old 01-06-2016, 02:39 PM   #69
ciaka

Bike(s):
In between bikes

My post stated I wished they banned it. Wishing is entirely different than banning it. In addition it is my personal opinion. Since this is still free America (well, Don't ask president), you are entirely free to have your opinion too.

Quote:
...entirely different animal than saying all splitting should be illegal, when the offending behavior already is.

I am sure creators of lane splitting law in CA thought it will make things safer (in their opinion). I am sure in your opinion you and your group of people would definitely follow the rules and be safe. That is enterely different from saying it would be safe for everyone.
When you passed licensing in TX you agreed to abide by all rules. Lane splitting in TX is still not authorized (as far as I know). Do the only thing any motorist can do is cross from one lane to another when switching lane. Riding between lanes (regardless of how slow) is therefore illegal. That is why the officer pointed out your infraction. While in traffic all vehicles remain in their lanes except when lane changing.

So as you see, it all boils down to the community of people who want the law. It is up to them to police themselves first, keep offenders in line and be good citizens to other roadway users.
If they fail to do that, they cannot honestly expect others to respect what they do.

Good analogy here (I hope) is if you have kids, buy them video game console and let them have it in their room. Then you notice they keep playing past midnight on school nights and have problems getting up on time.
Responsible parents would remove the game console from room or put mechanisms in place to teach them correct behavior.
It would be very irresponsible to let them keep and continue the bad habits.
That's how many things get screwed up, part of people who just won't listen, and the majority of others who do not bother to stand up and correct them.

I just wrote a book here on my phone. Now, because of this thread the next gen iPhones won't be ready on time. Way to go. Lol.

Quote:
I've been on rides here where people split on the freeways at high speed, and the discussed proposal to make splitting legal would not (in my opinion) encourage that type of behavior, but allow safe(r) splitting for those of us who would like to do it within the proposed guidelines (traffic at or near a stop) without fear of a ticket or worse (actually had a sheriff deputy threaten to arrest me and charge me with reckless driving for riding the line between lanes at an honest walking pace with traffic stopped on 59 one morning).
Old 01-06-2016, 03:19 PM   #70
Track_Graphics

Hemp -
It makes the best textiles.
It makes the highest quality of paper products.
It makes the strongest rope per foot.
Etc-
These are the arguments that are always made by the proponents for the legalization of weed, but the truth is that they just want it legal so they can blaze up. Screw paper and textiles.

So - I'm just asking - is this really a debate so we can:
Save commute time.
Get out of the heat quicker.
Not over-heat the bike.

Or is it really, as ciaka said, just so "some-of-us" (lots of us?) can blaze in an out of traffic at any speed?

Yes, of course I would do it in a traffic jam or packed traffic light, but I won't come up with some other argument just so I can ride 80mph in 60mph traffic because I can and it's fun. I'd actually rather take the long way that has more curves and acceleration points than claim I can't stand sitting in traffic. But I also ride sport bikes.

The weed crowd isn't honest about the reasons they claim for legalizing their desire.
Just wondering what the real (honest) desire is for lane splitting is. The way I see it, if you absolutely have to lane split, you're not taking the most fun route anyway.
Old 01-06-2016, 03:26 PM   #71
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

So are so detached from reality.

Weed proponents almost exclusively openly admit that they want weed legal for a myriad of different reasons, chief among them recreational use. Very few people take the stance of saying it should be allowed for medicinal purposes, textiles, etc. Most think it should be legal because there is no logical reason for it not to be.

Lane splitting laws in California are explicitly clear about what type of behavior is and is not acceptable. Splitting at freeway speeds is never acceptable. Riding above the speed limit is illegal and it is especially illegal when combined with illegal lane splitting. None of this has anything to do with the strict circumstances that lane splitting (more of filtering, really) is allowed.
Old 01-06-2016, 03:29 PM   #72
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2006 SV650S(sold)(happy now?)
Toes Ducati Multistrada(what now buck?)

Quote:
Save commute time.
Not over-heat the bike. - See more at: http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh....DYNdrzEo.dpuf
Can only speak for myself, but yes, that is what it is really about. That's what it is about for me and that is also exactly the manner in which I have broken the current law.

"blazing in and out of traffic" is not my idea of fun.
Flip Flop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 03:43 PM   #73
False

Difference is probably in percentage of motorcycle commuters in California vs Texas. Riding your cruiser on Sunday with a 305 tire is a bit different than fighting traffic in San Jose on your Versys. It isn't the law of the road it is the situation the riders are in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track_Graphics View Post
Save commute time.
Not over-heat the bike.
For me it is all about time, sweating and road rage avoidance. I can't handle being in traffic in a car.
False is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 01-06-2016, 03:47 PM   #74
Track_Graphics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repth View Post
So are so detached from reality.

Weed proponents almost exclusively openly admit that they want weed legal for a myriad of different reasons, chief among them recreational use.
You seem to have missed the point. If your older than 20 you should know what they always tried to use as an excuse to legalize weed. But get the point - I'm curious as to the honest reasons riders truly desire lane splitting.

I've been left behind several times riding with a group that became "detached from reality" and took off like they didn't have a brain in their head because they wanted to play follow the fool... I mean "leader" at 90mph.

If a rider had to take a lie detector test to see why they truly wanted lane splitting - I'm just curious about what the results would be. Would the reasons they state hold water?
Old 01-06-2016, 03:50 PM   #75
pinball
I got slow

Experience: 4 years

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Quote:
My post stated I wished they banned it. Wishing is entirely different than banning it. In addition it is my personal opinion. Since this is still free America (well, Don't ask president), you are entirely free to have your opinion too.
Maybe Commiefornia has rubbed off on you. Stating, "In my opinion" doesn't negate the possibility that the statement that follows is dead wrong.

Quote:
I am sure creators of lane splitting law in CA thought it will make things safer (in their opinion). I am sure in your opinion you and your group of people would definitely follow the rules and be safe. That is enterely different from saying it would be safe for everyone.
When you passed licensing in TX you agreed to abide by all rules. Lane splitting in TX is still not authorized (as far as I know). Do the only thing any motorist can do is cross from one lane to another when switching lane. Riding between lanes (regardless of how slow) is therefore illegal. That is why the officer pointed out your infraction. While in traffic all vehicles remain in their lanes except when lane changing.

So as you see, it all boils down to the community of people who want the law. It is up to them to police themselves first, keep offenders in line and be good citizens to other roadway users.
If they fail to do that, they cannot honestly expect others to respect what they do.

Good analogy here (I hope) is if you have kids, buy them video game console and let them have it in their room. Then you notice they keep playing past midnight on school nights and have problems getting up on time.
Responsible parents would remove the game console from room or put mechanisms in place to teach them correct behavior.
It would be very irresponsible to let them keep and continue the bad habits.
That's how many things get screwed up, part of people who just won't listen, and the majority of others who do not bother to stand up and correct them.
Yup...it definitely rubbed off. Filtering is not legal here, yet many still do it. Your analogy of taking away the toy is pretty useless.

Oh...there is no law in California that allows lane splitting. CHP has merely stated they will look the other way.

Last edited by pinball; 01-06-2016 at 03:52 PM.
pinball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 03:52 PM   #76
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:
You seem to have missed the point. If your older than 20 you should know what they always tried to use as an excuse to legalize weed. But get the point - I'm curious as to the honest reasons riders truly desire lane splitting.

I've been left behind several times riding with a group that became "detached from reality" and took off like they didn't have a brain in their head because they wanted to play follow the fool... I mean "leader" at 90mph.

If a rider had to take a lie detector test to see why they truly wanted lane splitting - I'm just curious about what the results would be. Would the reasons they state hold water?
How are you continuously missing the point that lane splitting laws do not allow people to split at freeway speeds, much less faster than the legal speed limit?
Liked this post:
Old 01-06-2016, 04:25 PM   #77
EnduroJoe

Bike(s):
02' KTM LC4 Enduro

Quote:
For me, it's all about savings...
I split everyday in heavy congestion. To save time, save my clutch, save my from cooking(summer) and most importantly to save myself from being sandwiched between two cagers. I mean, I would be a if I interrupted their facebook post!

I just think it would be nice to not have to risk being ticketed for it is all(to save money)

Last edited by EnduroJoe; 01-06-2016 at 04:26 PM. Reason: grammatical error
EnduroJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 01-06-2016, 04:46 PM   #78
Track_Graphics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repth View Post
How are you continuously missing the point that lane splitting laws do not allow people to split at freeway speeds, much less faster than the legal speed limit?
Sorry, I guess I got a little over your head. You're believing that riders that want like to "lane split" at ludicrous speed will obey the "limits" as defined in a law. Or do you think they will bend the livin out of it just like "one vehicle occupying one lane at a time" law that (if you have a good lawyer) already possibly allows for weaving back and forth over the line by mere inches?
Old 01-06-2016, 04:50 PM   #79
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:
Hemp -

Save commute time.
Not over-heat the bike.
you're skippy. I've never had a desire to split cars at mach speeds. 10-15 mph over their speed while under 20 mph....no big deal....even on 290 where lane widths are less than ideal. legal or not, I'll still do it. Calculated risk....
dbuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 01-06-2016, 05:10 PM   #80
pinball
I got slow

Experience: 4 years

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Quote:
Sorry, I guess I got a little over your head. You're believing that riders that want like to "lane split" at ludicrous speed will obey the "limits" as defined in a law. Or do you think they will bend the livin out of it just like "one vehicle occupying one lane at a time" law that (if you have a good lawyer) already possibly allows for weaving back and forth over the line by mere inches?
WTF are you talking about? I'm sure it makes sense in your head, but that right there is pure jibberish.
pinball is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement