MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2015, 03:41 PM   #41
slim_grizzy

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2007 Triumph Daytona 675
2015 Ducati Scrambler UE
2009 Ducati Monster 696 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gots2no View Post
Here's an example. I'm far enough behind the white truck and aimed between the white and maroon trucks. I'm in 1st gear, and if the driver coming behind me doesn't stop, I'm headed between the two trucks. It might still be bad if an approaching driver doesn't stop, but I'm not taking the brunt of the impact.
You have way more faith in your abilities to overcome others' stupidity than I have. I got rear-ended twice in the last summer in my car, both about a month apart. The first one happened in stop-n-go traffic during rush hour. I'm completely stopped, the guy behind lurched forward and bumped me. Said his foot slipped off the clutch. Second time was a college girl didn't notice that traffic was stopped at a light (in particular me) and didn't stop soon enough.

Had I been riding my bike, I wouldn't have gotten hit. Not because I was incredibly alert or agile, but rather I usually stop near the lane markers right beside the car's rear bumper in view of the driver side mirror. By occupying space between lanes, whether stopped or moving, you are less likely to be hit by a vehicle.

The lane-splitting study in CA a couple years back concluded that you're significantly less likely to be struck from the rear by lane-splitting while only marginally more likely to strike someone ahead of you. Sure you have to be aware of what you're doing, but most people are more able to accurately judge other driver's movements while facing them rather than in a mirror. If I'm responsible for my own safety, I want to put myself in a position that I can more accurately monitor and respond to situations. That means keeping as much of the action in front of me by moving at or slightly ahead of the speed of traffic when travelling or positioning myself out of the way when stopped.
slim_grizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TX Bill for lane splitting goes to committee (yes, another lane splitting thread) exalted512 General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 04-14-2011 05:35 PM
Lane Splitting in Texas? How about in Russia? Tojo92 General Discussion (Moto Related) 17 12-12-2010 03:55 AM
Texas Bill: SB 506 - Lane Splitting hotnanas General Discussion (Moto Related) 88 03-19-2009 01:44 PM
Texas Lane splitting. Get it passed! lazy-boy General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 02-20-2009 10:35 AM
Advertisement
Old 09-28-2015, 04:12 PM   #42
whisk3y

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2015 FZ 09

I hadn't checked the forum over the weekend, but I'm glad it started this conversation. I feel like it is very much a personal judgement call as to whether or not you lane split.

For me it's very situational.

I've just moved to Texas so I didn't know it was (apparently) relatively easy to get out of it without a ticket if you did get pulled over.

In Brooklyn (where I moved from) I got chased once or twice by civilian drivers who got because I split past them when traffic was stopped. serious road rage in some people.
whisk3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 08:38 AM   #43
ArtistMarty

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2009 zx10rse

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisk3y View Post
I hadn't checked the forum over the weekend, but I'm glad it started this conversation. I feel like it is very much a personal judgement call as to whether or not you lane split.

For me it's very situational.

I've just moved to Texas so I didn't know it was (apparently) relatively easy to get out of it without a ticket if you did get pulled over.

In Brooklyn (where I moved from) I got chased once or twice by civilian drivers who got because I split past them when traffic was stopped. serious road rage in some people.
First, don't think it will be easy to get "out of it"
Second, don't think the road rage won't happen, you WILL off many drivers, and some WILL attempt to kill your a$$
ArtistMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 10-01-2015, 12:23 PM   #44
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

Yep. As has been repeatedly said by others, I've never gotten a ticket for it, but I did get yelled at by an out-of-jurisdiction LEO. Was on south 59 (inbound) before the HOV splits into a separate walled lane. Traffic was nearly stopped on the whole highway, and I split between the fast lane and the HOV lane (solid double line where no one is supposed to cross anyway). Told me to pull over on the loud speaker and threatened to arrest me next time for reckless driving (I was literally idling the bike in first gear). Oh well, no arrest, no ticket, no record it ever happened.
Old 10-16-2015, 09:53 AM   #45
lmindmoto

I think lane splitting would work, but only by educating general populous and by motorcyclists tuning down their "inner hooligan" and actually doing what the proposed bills underlined - no more than 5mph faster than cagers. I don't agree that government should be mandating helmet laws, or even seat belt laws, for that matter. I'll continue to wear my helmet and seat belt, but I don't need Big Gubmint forcing laws down my neck because they need to somehow save me from myself. Sometimes the Gene pool needs desalinating from time to time.
lmindmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 09:58 AM   #46
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmindmoto View Post
I think lane splitting would work, but only by educating general populous
Yeah, the State of Texas could blast texts about it during rush hour
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 10:26 AM   #47
Schooley
Herpagonnaisyphalitis

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
ZX6R

Doesnt mean they will look up from their phones long enough to read the signs.
Schooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 10:41 AM   #48
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooley View Post
Doesnt mean they will look up from their phones long enough to read the signs.
That's why they need to send the texts to their phones, because that's where drivers usually have their eyes
Old 01-05-2016, 10:12 PM   #49
ciaka

Bike(s):
In between bikes

Before moving to California I thought lane splitting just makes sense and wished for it. After I moved to California, I wish they banned it.
About 99% of riders flagrantly abuse it, ride very dangerously cutting people off and causing near crashes. So after living with it, I say nope. Much safer for both rider and driver that lane splitting does not spread.
ciaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 11:00 PM   #50
pinball
I got slow

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaka View Post
Before moving to California I thought lane splitting just makes sense and wished for it. After I moved to California, I wish they banned it.
About 99% of riders flagrantly abuse it, ride very dangerously cutting people off and causing near crashes. So after living with it, I say nope. Much safer for both rider and driver that lane splitting does not spread.
Every time I'm on 610, I see dozens of sport bikes hauling and weaving in and out of traffic; therefore, all sport bike riders are dangerous idiots. Oh...I only take 610 on Wednesday nights, but since it happens every time I'm on the loop, this must be a 24/7 occurrence everywhere across the country.
pinball is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 01-05-2016, 11:26 PM   #51
ciaka

Bike(s):
In between bikes

I have been riding bikes in street and track for years, btw.
Don't preach that to me please. I'm too old for that.
If you don't behave, I'll have to spank your bottom son.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinball View Post
Every time I'm on 610, I see dozens of sport bikes hauling and weaving in and out of traffic; therefore, all sport bike riders are dangerous idiots. Oh...I only take 610 on Wednesday nights, but since it happens every time I'm on the loop, this must be a 24/7 occurrence everywhere across the country.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:32 PM   #52
pinball
I got slow

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Quote:
I have been riding bikes in street and track for years, btw.
Don't preach that to me please. I'm too old for that.
If you don't behave, I'll have to spank your bottom son.
Obviously. Otherwise, you'd put the quote before your typing.

On a serious note, your posts are usually pretty solid, which is why I was surprised when you said your anecdotal experiences were reason enough to ban lane splitting for everyone. There's an Australian study from just a few years back that showed splitting was neither safer nor more dangerous for anyone on the road.
pinball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 11:36 PM   #53
Flip Flop
Ordained Minister

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2006 SV650S(sold)(happy now?)
Toes Ducati Multistrada(what now buck?)

I believe there are numerous studies that show the same as well, not just Australia. The general conclusion that is starting to be made is that it is no more it less safe, but helps traffic flow. It's a win for everyone.
Flip Flop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 01:40 AM   #54
ciaka

Bike(s):
In between bikes

When you drive around Silicon Valley and 9 out of 10 riders (for the last two years) ride like (impartial party observation here), and you see it day in and day out on all highways, you start thinking about it a bit more. Rider habits differ greatly from place to place. For example here in Silicon Valley, I swear people got their licenses on the flea market. You will get pushed off the road. No question. Compared to here, Houston, Austin and other Texas areas are a Sunday driver's place. I never thought of it til I moved there. Same with Moro riders, in Texas most seem pretty cool, with occasional yahoo here and there. Down in Silicon Valley you have overwhelming majority split lanes at 70mph or more (not just sport bikes but all bikes, even those that you could swear were already junked), forcing auto drivers off the road (yes, getting into their way when parallel to them and honking waving legs and revving motors).
Yes. I am sure in many cities you can have studies that show safety. However it is a cultural and individual area thing. If Kane splitting was done in Texas, I am sure it would be safer than in NorCal for sure. But come and see how they ride here and you will get same idea. Lots of young kids who rode for a year and think they are Marquez or Rossi. Then you hear of another crash on news when you get to work.

So is it safe? I say safe few places while in others dangerous. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:01 AM   #55
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray

Member Garage

Quote:
When you drive around Silicon Valley and 9 out of 10 riders (for the last two years) ride like (impartial party observation here), and you see it day in and day out on all highways, you start thinking about it a bit more. Rider habits differ greatly from place to place. For example here in Silicon Valley, I swear people got their licenses on the flea market. You will get pushed off the road. No question. Compared to here, Houston, Austin and other Texas areas are a Sunday driver's place. I never thought of it til I moved there. Same with Moro riders, in Texas most seem pretty cool, with occasional yahoo here and there. Down in Silicon Valley you have overwhelming majority split lanes at 70mph or more (not just sport bikes but all bikes, even those that you could swear were already junked), forcing auto drivers off the road (yes, getting into their way when parallel to them and honking waving legs and revving motors).
Yes. I am sure in many cities you can have studies that show safety. However it is a cultural and individual area thing. If Kane splitting was done in Texas, I am sure it would be safer than in NorCal for sure. But come and see how they ride here and you will get same idea. Lots of young kids who rode for a year and think they are Marquez or Rossi. Then you hear of another crash on news when you get to work.

So is it safe? I say safe few places while in others dangerous. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Just curious, what's the law for cell phone use by drivers in CA? In Houston drivers wander out of their lanes frequently.
Old 01-06-2016, 08:20 AM   #56
flipstyledsm22
Lets go fishing!

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
1994 FLSTC Pro-Street Chopper
1964 Tote Gote
2003 GSXR600 - SOLD
2004 ZX6R - SOLD
1986 VFR750 - SOLD

Send a message via Yahoo to flipstyledsm22
I believe the demographics of the area will also play a huge role on everyday behavior... Everything is much worse when you have a bunch of idiots living in one area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
I hate perma bans they are sooo...permanent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicTOEmizer View Post
I've did the drag thing for awhile
flipstyledsm22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 01-06-2016, 10:42 AM   #57
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

Quote:

What you describe, assuming it's accurate, is NOT legal, even in CA. That's like saying pit bulls should not be legal anywhere because some idiots refuse to train their dogs and let them roam the neighborhood freely, ending in people being attacked by the dog. You can't point to illegal (and irresponsible) behavior and use it as an argument to ban the legal behavior.

Last edited by Jae; 01-06-2016 at 10:44 AM.
Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 01-06-2016, 10:56 AM   #58
Kacfiz
The Kac

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
1990 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6D (Sold)
2013 Suzuki SFV650 Gladius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae View Post
You can't point to illegal (and irresponsible) behavior and use it as an argument to ban the legal behavior.
Boom

That seems to be the go to argument for banning a lot of things...
Old 01-06-2016, 11:17 AM   #59
Truckin_Thumper

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
El Tigre 1050
WR426 Blue Hooligan Motard ---once back together

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae View Post
What you describe, assuming it's accurate, is NOT legal, even in CA. That's like saying pit bulls should not be legal anywhere because some idiots refuse to train their dogs and let them roam the neighborhood freely, ending in people being attacked by the dog. You can't point to illegal (and irresponsible) behavior and use it as an argument to ban the legal behavior.
Its all about the feels...yo
Truckin_Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 12:09 PM   #60
TMAX
Forever MODERATE

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
TMAX (Retired in California)
Xciting 500
XT 225
Duke 2
C14 & FZ6

Quote:

im a veteran of California Highways.

Split or die.

especially PCH during rush hour

Advertisement