MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2015, 11:11 PM   #21
Slash24
Hotrodder

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
07' ZX-10r

Quote:
Originally Posted by False View Post
You don't do it, so it shouldn't be legal.

I never said it should not be legal. I just will not do it.
Slash24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TX Bill for lane splitting goes to committee (yes, another lane splitting thread) exalted512 General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 04-14-2011 05:35 PM
Lane Splitting in Texas? How about in Russia? Tojo92 General Discussion (Moto Related) 17 12-12-2010 03:55 AM
Texas Bill: SB 506 - Lane Splitting hotnanas General Discussion (Moto Related) 88 03-19-2009 01:44 PM
Texas Lane splitting. Get it passed! lazy-boy General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 02-20-2009 10:35 AM
Advertisement
Old 09-26-2015, 11:56 PM   #22
pinball
I got slow

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slash24 View Post
I won't do it. Not worth losing your life over.

This video shows what happens. Video does not show any gore but the rider lost his life. It happened so quick.
Dude split at nearly 40mph. Splitting is for <20mph. Not an accurate representation of how it's supposed to be done.
pinball is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 09-27-2015, 09:41 AM   #23
Slash24
Hotrodder

Bike(s):
07' ZX-10r

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinball View Post
Dude split at nearly 40mph. Splitting is for <20mph. Not an accurate representation of how it's supposed to be done.
I agree it is not accurate but it shows you what can happen. In traffic you see cars jumping lanes all of the time without using blinkers. If you want to go through the that mine field more power to you.
Old 09-27-2015, 02:24 PM   #24
slim_grizzy

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2007 Triumph Daytona 675
2015 Ducati Scrambler UE
2009 Ducati Monster 696 (sold)

I got "pulled over" on the HOV coming up 59 a couple weeks ago. Technically I didn't get pulled over by a cop, rather got blocked in by an HCTRA truck because she was mad I was passing traffic. Traffic was backed up because of two separate wrecks on the HOV. Mainlanes had 2 of their own. Anyway we got up to the wreck where the tow truck was picking up one car on the right side and she blocked off the left side with her truck. She told me to pull over and I asked, "Are you an officer?" She didn't respond (and apparently didn't appreciate the question either lol) but she went to get an HPD officer that was working the accident scene and he said I needed to wait for the Metro PD cop to catch up to me. That whole series of events was dumb but meh.

Metro cop pulls up on his bike and we have a chat. He says I can't be doing that. I said I know, but it was going to rain soon and sitting in traffic is dangerous. He agreed but told me I might scare old people and didn't want me to be in a wreck like they were clearing. I said the wreck being towed was because someone got rear-ended. Tow trucks take cars, ambulances take bikers. He said I'll let you go but I'll catch you tomorrow. I said fair enough.
slim_grizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 02:26 PM   #25
cuong-nutz
Resident 250 guru

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
Ninjer 250

Quote:
I agree it is not accurate but it shows you what can happen. In traffic you see cars jumping lanes all of the time without using blinkers. If you want to go through the that mine field more power to you.
The guys in the videos just had poor judgement. It's unfortunate that their lives were cut short because of it and the way they were taken out but that's all part of living. Our actions as human beings are defined by what we have experienced and learned. happens. Whether or not you choose to do something is all up to you to decide. Your life. Your decision. I understand that videos like these add to your fears. Fears are necessity to survival. By you choosing not to split is understandable based on your experiences. but we as humans analyze our fears and find ways to overcome them an continue moving on. Those of us who actively and responsibly split will continue to do so. Why, you must think? We have giant nutsucks that carry our titanium where we must use a bra to keep them supported. No, my fellow rider on two. We are aware of the fears out there. We educate ourselves, and develop the skills necessary to overcome them and not be made vulnerable.
Videos like these are teaching tools for us. Showing us what happens when someone doesn't use good judgement.

First video shows rider splitting at too fast of speed. As speed increases, reaction time increases. The driver probably could not gauge the speed of the rider or probably couldn't see him as he was switching lanes. Have you ever shoulder check and see a car not there and look again and a car was?

Second video, shows inclimate weather. Is see nothing wrong with all the cagers. They are riding accordingly to road conditions. Rider is splitting and is not aware of the conditions in front and is riding too fast for conditions. Two wheels, wet road, less traction equals increased braking distance needed to stop.

Different skill levels of riders all around us. Mileage under your belt doesn't mean diddly if you're not prepared for the "minefield" out there. Again there is no one answer to everything in this case. You choose to not split and I, among others, will continue to so and be about our wits about it.
Old 09-27-2015, 03:06 PM   #26
False

Quote:
The danger with splitting is cars in FRONT of you changing lanes. You use your judgement based on experience and traffic speed to see how fast they can pull in front of you.

The danger in not splitting is when the cars BEHIND you in slow traffic don't see you when they glance up for 1 second and smash you into the car in front. You depend totally on other drivers awareness.
False is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 05:19 PM   #27
gots2no
Steve

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'94 Kawasaki ZX6
'78 Yamaha XS750E (sold)
'82 Yamaha Seca 750 (sold)
'82 Yamaha XT200 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
The danger in not splitting is when the cars BEHIND you in slow traffic don't see you when they glance up for 1 second and smash you into the car in front. You depend totally on other drivers awareness.
I don't depend upon the driver behind me not to kill me. I watch my six and keep my bike aimed at an open spot, or at least softer than the vehicle in front of me. Same thing goes for stops. Keep it in first, not neutral, have a planned escape, and watch your six.

Too many people not paying attention these days.
gots2no is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 09-27-2015, 05:57 PM   #28
Slash24
Hotrodder

Bike(s):
07' ZX-10r

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuong-nutz View Post
The guys in the videos just had poor judgement. It's unfortunate that their lives were cut short because of it and the way they were taken out but that's all part of living. Our actions as human beings are defined by what we have experienced and learned. happens. Whether or not you choose to do something is all up to you to decide. Your life. Your decision. I understand that videos like these add to your fears. Fears are necessity to survival. By you choosing not to split is understandable based on your experiences. but we as humans analyze our fears and find ways to overcome them an continue moving on. Those of us who actively and responsibly split will continue to do so. Why, you must think? We have giant nutsucks that carry our titanium where we must use a bra to keep them supported. No, my fellow rider on two. We are aware of the fears out there. We educate ourselves, and develop the skills necessary to overcome them and not be made vulnerable.
Videos like these are teaching tools for us. Showing us what happens when someone doesn't use good judgement.

First video shows rider splitting at too fast of speed. As speed increases, reaction time increases. The driver probably could not gauge the speed of the rider or probably couldn't see him as he was switching lanes. Have you ever shoulder check and see a car not there and look again and a car was?

Second video, shows inclimate weather. Is see nothing wrong with all the cagers. They are riding accordingly to road conditions. Rider is splitting and is not aware of the conditions in front and is riding too fast for conditions. Two wheels, wet road, less traction equals increased braking distance needed to stop.

Different skill levels of riders all around us. Mileage under your belt doesn't mean diddly if you're not prepared for the "minefield" out there. Again there is no one answer to everything in this case. You choose to not split and I, among others, will continue to so and be about our wits about it.
Very good read and you make some good points. I really don't call it fear just a little aware of what goes on. The problem with this if it ever became legal is all of the unskilled riders doing it. They can barely ride a bike and would do this.
Old 09-27-2015, 06:18 PM   #29
False

Quote:
Originally Posted by gots2no View Post
I don't depend upon the driver behind me not to kill me. I watch my six and keep my bike aimed at an open spot, or at least softer than the vehicle in front of me. Same thing goes for stops. Keep it in first, not neutral, have a planned escape, and watch your six.

Too many people not paying attention these days.
Watching your six with depth perception through tiny mirrors. How often, as a percentage are you looking at them? The direction your bike is pointed won't help much. Car are faster back to front than side to side.

Whichever way you feel safer is fine by me. I do think what you have just posted is ridiculous though. Sitting between two bumpers is a dangerous position no matter how vigilant you are.
False is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 08:43 PM   #30
cuong-nutz
Resident 250 guru

Bike(s):
Ninjer 250

Quote:
Very good read and you make some good points. I really don't call it fear just a little aware of what goes on. The problem with this if it ever became legal is all of the unskilled riders doing it. They can barely ride a bike and would do this.
To me awareness is having the understanding of what situations may arise and how to avoid or mitigate the situations.
How has not lane splitting made you a better rider? You by avoiding it entirely does not remove the inattentive cagers out of the equation. These cagers are still there riding next to you splitting or not.

As for legalizing splitting, it's a double edged sword. bikers may bring about more cager awareness. Just maybe. Good if it does. Doesn't change much if it doesn't.

Quote:
Watching your six with depth perception through tiny mirrors. How often, as a percentage are you looking at them? The direction your bike is pointed won't help much. Car are faster back to front than side to side.

Whichever way you feel safer is fine by me. I do think what you have just posted is ridiculous though. Sitting between two bumpers is a dangerous position no matter how vigilant you are.
He never said it was a good thing. And what he stated was how you can avoid being pancaked.
Old 09-27-2015, 08:58 PM   #31
Miloman

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
Honda 50
Bugatti veyron ss (sold)
Dodge Tomahawk (sold)
Ducati desmosedici RR (sold)
MTT turbine bike (sold)

Yea.. I'll be sure not to do it or anything else illegal
Miloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 09:20 PM   #32
Slash24
Hotrodder

Bike(s):
07' ZX-10r

Quote:
To me awareness is having the understanding of what situations may arise and how to avoid or mitigate the situations.
How has not lane splitting made you a better rider? You by avoiding it entirely does not remove the inattentive cagers out of the equation. These cagers are still there riding next to you splitting or not.

As for legalizing splitting, it's a double edged sword. bikers may bring about more cager awareness. Just maybe. Good if it does. Doesn't change much if it doesn't.
Not lane splitting has nothing to do with me being a better rider. Maybe I'm just a little wiser in my old age and avoid some situations. Back in the old 911 club days I did a lot of stupid/crazy and I'm still here. You are willing to cut between cars because your skill level is higher (understood). I'm not concerned with you its more of the idiots out there texting/Facebook/emails/doing makeup. you had trouble with a lady while making a turn.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:43 PM   #33
Rykoson
Brawp Brawp!

Bike(s):
www.shortfilmproductions.org
2009 YZF-R6-Rest in Peace
2011 ZX-6R Kawasaki Ninja-Track/Street

Member Garage

does this just say it goes effective Sept 1 2015?? http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/Searc...3%22&DocType=B
STREET SCHOLARS PRODUCTIONS-Hookit
Rykoson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 10:36 PM   #34
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rykoson View Post
does this just say it goes effective Sept 1 2015?? http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/Searc...3%22&DocType=B
I think that is the proposed bill that eventually did not pass. Could be wrong though. I'm going to save it in my phone and show it to any officer hassling me for lane filtering.
Old 09-27-2015, 11:30 PM   #35
cuong-nutz
Resident 250 guru

Bike(s):
Ninjer 250

Quote:
Not lane splitting has nothing to do with me being a better rider. Maybe I'm just a little wiser in my old age and avoid some situations. Back in the old 911 club days I did a lot of stupid/crazy and I'm still here. You are willing to cut between cars because your skill level is higher (understood). I'm not concerned with you its more of the idiots out there texting/Facebook/emails/doing makeup. you had trouble with a lady while making a turn.
So based on your logic, we should sell our motorcycles to young kids who are dumb enough to want to ride on the road with idiot drivers.

Me wrecking did not have to do anything with lanesplitting. I have had zero accidents from lanesplitting. I have had two accidents so far while riding on the road at normal speeds in my lane. As you can see, lanesplitting a whole lot safer in my experience. you have more control with lanesplitting than you do than riding openly on the road. Maybe I am just a nut on a motorcycle who likes it too much for his own good.

Main point i am getting at is that I just want people to fully understand lanesplitting before they speak bad about it with no facts to support their opinion.

Not bashing you bro. Just trying to understand where people coming from.
Liked this post:
Old 09-28-2015, 12:14 AM   #36
pinball
I got slow

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Quote:
Main point i am getting at is that I just want people to fully understand lanesplitting before they speak bad about it with no facts to support their opinion.
This right here. Splitting is for bumper to bumper traffic, and yes...traffic can be bumper to bumper at 20mph. Bumper to bumper means no room for a car to change lanes. Sure, holes big enough to let a car in can open up, but at gridlock speeds it certainly shouldn't be a surprise if you're paying attention. If you see a gap open, expect a cager to try to fill it and slow your down. Not really all that different from riding on a street where cubside parking is allowed. Expect a door to open or a car to pull away from the curb if you see a quick flash of reverse lights. SOB is either putting it in park or in drive.

Cali has allowed splitting for years, but what most people don't know is that Australia recently gave the go-ahead for splitting. The Aussies even launched a study to go along with the new legislation, and that study showed that splitting does not increase the risk of motorcycle accidents.
pinball is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 09-28-2015, 01:27 AM   #37
ArtistMarty

Bike(s):
2009 zx10rse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rykoson View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiatool View Post
I think that is the proposed bill that eventually did not pass. Could be wrong though. I'm going to save it in my phone and show it to any officer hassling me for lane filtering.
Last Action: 02/23/2015 H Referred to Transportation: Feb 23 2015 3:22PM
Bill failed to complete stage 1

ArtistMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 06:32 AM   #38
Slash24
Hotrodder

Bike(s):
07' ZX-10r

Quote:
So based on your logic, we should sell our motorcycles to young kids who are dumb enough to want to ride on the road with idiot drivers.

Me wrecking did not have to do anything with lanesplitting. I have had zero accidents from lanesplitting. I have had two accidents so far while riding on the road at normal speeds in my lane. As you can see, lanesplitting a whole lot safer in my experience. you have more control with lanesplitting than you do than riding openly on the road. Maybe I am just a nut on a motorcycle who likes it too much for his own good.

Not bashing you bro. Just trying to understand where people coming from.

No we should not just sell our bikes to the young ones. Haha. Unlike most people that go to and from work I'm out on the roads all day and get to watch the idiots that drive cars. People can not drive. I have read some of the studies about lane splitting stating it is safer. One thing that probably makes our views different is I did not drive my bike to work that much (when I was working all over Harris And Surrounding counties). I missed the HOV one time and I tell you it sucked sitting in bumper to bumper traffic. Be safe out there.
Liked this post:
Old 09-28-2015, 08:49 AM   #39
cuong-nutz
Resident 250 guru

Bike(s):
Ninjer 250

Yeah the bill didn't go far and got shuffled under all the unimportant bills that would not generate revenue.
Old 09-28-2015, 02:48 PM   #40
gots2no
Steve

Bike(s):
'94 Kawasaki ZX6
'78 Yamaha XS750E (sold)
'82 Yamaha Seca 750 (sold)
'82 Yamaha XT200 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:

Here's an example. I'm far enough behind the white truck and aimed between the white and maroon trucks. I'm in 1st gear, and if the driver coming behind me doesn't stop, I'm headed between the two trucks. It might still be bad if an approaching driver doesn't stop, but I'm not taking the brunt of the impact.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	88661  
gots2no is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement