MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2015, 11:46 AM   #1
whisk3y

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2015 FZ 09

Lane Splitting for Texas!

Hey, so I'm not necessarily the activist type, but as I was sitting in 90 degree weather on the 290 yesterday in stopped traffic after work, I thought

"You know what would be great? if I could lane split." Just scoot on between these pickups up to my exit and get out of here.

Instead I just sat there. In the heat.

Here is a link

State Rep. Sergio Munoz (D-Mission) and state Sen. Kirk Watson (D-Bastrop) have introduced lanesplitting bills into the current legislative session. Please consider writing them to show your support for the bills!

It takes maybe 30 seconds.

https://www.change.org/p/83rd-texas-...cles/u/9577996
whisk3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TX Bill for lane splitting goes to committee (yes, another lane splitting thread) exalted512 General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 04-14-2011 05:35 PM
Lane Splitting in Texas? How about in Russia? Tojo92 General Discussion (Moto Related) 17 12-12-2010 03:55 AM
Texas Bill: SB 506 - Lane Splitting hotnanas General Discussion (Moto Related) 88 03-19-2009 01:44 PM
Texas Lane splitting. Get it passed! lazy-boy General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 02-20-2009 10:35 AM
Advertisement
Old 09-25-2015, 01:36 PM   #2
cuong-nutz
Resident 250 guru

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
Ninjer 250

Welcome but I think to are a kind of late.
Old 09-25-2015, 02:00 PM   #3
ArtistMarty

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2009 zx10rse

Lane splitting has been O.K. in Texas for as long as have been riding
ArtistMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 09-25-2015, 02:06 PM   #4
Adamrides

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtistMarty View Post
HPD pulled me over cuz I passed him in the HOV lane apparently you're not supposed to pass anyone anytime, according to him
Adamrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 02:50 PM   #5
cuong-nutz
Resident 250 guru

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
Ninjer 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamrides View Post
HPD pulled me over cuz I passed him in the HOV lane apparently you're not supposed to pass anyone anytime, according to him
Care to flesh out the scenario with details.
Old 09-25-2015, 02:54 PM   #6
green600
HG Chairperson

Feedback Rating: (3)

Trackdays: 1

Quote:
saying pulled you over makes me think you didn't get a ticket. I know I have gotten away without a ticket a few times.

yeah. I thought it'd be like riding with a condescending rossi.
green600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 03:47 PM   #7
Flynjay

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
'07 Ninja 250 (sold)
'06 Ninja 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisk3y View Post
Hey, so I'm not necessarily the activist type, but as I was sitting in 90 degree weather on the 290 yesterday in stopped traffic after work, I thought

"You know what would be great? if I could lane split." Just scoot on between these pickups up to my exit and get out of here.

Instead I just sat there. In the heat.

Here is a link

State Rep. Sergio Munoz (D-Mission) and state Sen. Kirk Watson (D-Bastrop) have introduced lanesplitting bills into the current legislative session. Please consider writing them to show your support for the bills!

It takes maybe 30 seconds.

https://www.change.org/p/83rd-texas-...cles/u/9577996
Two things. The Texas legislature meets every two years. The legislature meets for 140 days starting in January.

So, there is no possibility of getting this until at least 2017.
Flynjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 09-25-2015, 03:49 PM   #8
rhenriksen

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 GSXR-750 (sold)
'07 Bandit 1250
'03 CBR 600 racebike (parting out)
2013 Ducati Streetfighter 848
1984 Honda V65 Sabre (stolen)

OP, the legislative session ended in about May 2015. The next one won't be until January 2017.

IMO, the only way to get traction on this issue is to get the AMA to actively lobby for lane splitting. After YEARS, they finally released a statement with IMO pretty tepid support for the concept; but I haven't heard about them actually pushing to get any of the bills passed that were filed in several state legislatures this year.
rhenriksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 03:52 PM   #9
False

Quote:
When I pass in HOV the cars are stacked up. No way a police could get me. Did you stop passing when you saw a cop?
False is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 09-25-2015, 04:04 PM   #10
Adamrides

Quote:
Originally Posted by False View Post
When I pass in HOV the cars are stacked up. No way a police could get me. Did you stop passing when you saw a cop?
No, so I got on the 45 HOV downtown and it was crawling, so I just passed everyone safely on their left, including the cop, I got about maybe 3 cars in front of him then the traffic started moving so I just stayed behind the car in font of me. The cop followed me from downtown to the beltway exit then he turned his lights on and pulled me over like where the cycle gear is. He walked up with his partner and grabbed me on the shoulder and said basically yelling "Don't you ever pass anyone like that again, you're not supposed to pass anyone." "I'm not gonna give you a ticket some other cop might but It made no sense for me to pull you over in the hov lane." I said "Yeah sorry, I'm running on fumes and if I was to sit in the traffic I would have probably run out." which was honestly the truth my warning light was on, but I was going to lane split regardless.

To the OP I don't like splitting on the open freeway in traffic because people don't shoulder check and they change lanes very quickly so It only takes you to be in their blind spot at the wrong time.
Adamrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 04:06 PM   #11
green600
HG Chairperson

Trackdays: 1

Quote:
He walked up with his partner and grabbed me on the shoulder and said basically yelling "Don't you ever pass anyone like that again, you're not supposed to pass anyone." "I'm not gonna give you a ticket some other cop might but It made no sense for me to pull you over in the hov lane.
im two for two with this

yeah. I thought it'd be like riding with a condescending rossi.
green600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 09:50 AM   #12
SideVinder650

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
Suzuki SV650 2nd gen

just be careful, i've been splitting for years with only 1 incident and that was on the HOV lane, me and three other riders hit some heavy traffic on the 290 HOV outbound, i think another is a member on here, he was on a cruiser and when we got up to a big bus only me and another guy on a skinny bike could get thru and we did and we split well up past a bunch of people and a cop then we kept going, the cop turned on his flashers and all the cars started shifting over to let the cop pass (290 hov; prior to construction, doubt he could now) and he chased us down, told us to "go to the West...Park and ride" the kid on the bike next to me dumps his little weed sack or w/e and heads off to the W. Lil york park n ride, i just keep going to the....west rd park and ride.

When i finally get off he turns his lights on and pulls me over, then he's like what were you thinkin, blah blah blah, why didnt you go to w. lil york park n ride, (i didnt because i wanted to split our group up i thought it would make him choose for one of us, me or him either way, it would somewhat deactivate the situation)

i told him i heard him say "west rd park n ride" (he was on his intercom for chrissakes) then he said, well look dont do that again, and let me go.

next time im pulled over by a cop for lane splitting im going to ask him if he has any buddies on the force who patrol on a bike, and have him ask them about what lane splitting does to help make riding safer.

Last edited by SideVinder650; 09-26-2015 at 09:53 AM.
SideVinder650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 10:37 AM   #13
phantomzrex

Bike(s):
2004 Kawasaki ZRX1200R R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtistMarty View Post
In whose eyes? Not the law.
phantomzrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 01:53 PM   #14
ArtistMarty

Bike(s):
2009 zx10rse

whatever you say...
They have never bothered me when I spit, (45yrs)

once when I was splitting down the tollway a biker cop did pull me over and the first thing he said was..."don't worry Im not going to give you a ticket" he just wanted to ask me some other stuff, then he told me to follow him and we both split all the way, sooooooo, It was funny cause it was the same officer who pulled me over the week before for riding ...waaaaay fast. my record is clean for over 20yrs now, Ive consider myself very fortunate and thankful to the many LEOs.

As long as I have been riding it has always been allowable but an "unwritten" law... but if you don't do it correctly then of course you will probably get pulled over for being an idiot, just like many other tickets they are at the discretion of the officer.
Old 09-26-2015, 05:01 PM   #15
phantomzrex

Bike(s):
2004 Kawasaki ZRX1200R R.I.P.

what do you mean the right way you are either splitting lanes or you are not. And there is no such thing as an unwritten law. you have just been lucky for 45 years, or you are BSn everybody.
phantomzrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 06:26 PM   #16
Slash24
Hotrodder

Bike(s):
07' ZX-10r

I won't do it. Not worth losing your life over.

This video shows what happens. Video does not show any gore but the rider lost his life. It happened so quick.

Slash24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 07:28 PM   #17
ArtistMarty

Bike(s):
2009 zx10rse

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomzrex View Post
what do you mean the right way you are either splitting lanes or you are not. And there is no such thing as an unwritten law. you have just been lucky for 45 years, or you are BSn everybody.
I mean at the RIGHT time and the RIGHT place,
there is this old adage... "only the fittest survive" so you must fit in with the right time and the right place to make it right...

as far as the "unwritten law" there are lots of things that are legal, that are not... and things that are not, that are...

and lucky, yes, for more than 45 years.

and am i BS'n
I, you, we
Todd did?

Old 09-26-2015, 07:30 PM   #18
VicTOEmizer

Bike(s):
rc51 (sold)
TTR 125 :)
Buell xb12r (sold)
2013 z1000 (sold)
Ducati multistrada :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slash24 View Post

This video shows what happens. Video does not show any gore but the rider lost his life. It happened so quick.

LiveLeak.com - Singapore motorcyclist gets fatally run over by truck
That's not when you're supposed to filter.
Old 09-26-2015, 07:34 PM   #19
ArtistMarty

Bike(s):
2009 zx10rse

Quote:

Old 09-26-2015, 10:34 PM   #20
False

Quote:
You don't do it, so it shouldn't be legal.

This is why we will never have lane splitting outside of California. These bills are a pipe dream.
False is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement