MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2007, 10:56 AM   #1
TnTEntR1
R.I.P Bobby K/ NY Matty

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
'06 Yama R1

New Law as of July 1,2007...

Sorry this was a HOax...please ignor but feel free to it up thread !!!

I know this aint Moto related but wanted to pass the msg on Quickly 4 yall who drive...

Subject: FW: NEW TICKET LAWS AS OF JULY 1

NEW TICKET LAWS AS OF JULY 1

Heads up to Texas drivers as new laws went into effect this past Sunday..... You will need to get hands free attachments for the cell phone, take a look at the others as well.

Starting July 2007...

1. Car pool lane - 1st time $1068.50 starting 7/1/07 (The $271 posted on the highway is old). Don't do it again because 2nd time is going to be double. 3rd time triple, and 4th time license suspended.

2. Incorrect lane change - $380. Don't cross the lane on solid lines or intersections.

3. Block intersection - $485

4. Driving on the shoulder - $450

5. Cell phone use in the construction zone. - Double fine as of 07/01/07. Cell phone use must be "hands free" while driving.

6. Passengers over 18 not in their seatbelts - both passengers and drivers get tickets .

7. Speeders can only drive 3 miles above the limit.

8. DUI = JAIL (Stays on your driving record for 10 years!)

9. As of 07/01/07 cell phone use must be "hands free" while driving. Ticket is $285. They will be looking for this like crazy - easy money for police department.

(10. When officer says " spread them" u can reach for Vasoline<---j/k, but the rest 1-9 is REAL DEAL!)

BE SAFE!!!

-------------------------------------------
The Hoax article:

July 4, 2007, 8:10PM
DPS: Tighter traffic laws just a rumor
Agency says the use of cell phones has not been restricted

By PEGGY FIKAC
Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle Austin Bureau

TOOLS
Email Get section feed
Print Subscribe NOW
Comments Recommend
AUSTIN Calls flooded the Texas Department of Public Safety after a widely circulated e-mail claimed tighter traffic laws kick in this month, including a ban on all but hands-free cell phones while driving.

The claims aren't true, DPS spokesman Tom Vinger said Tuesday, as he has said again and again since the e-mail began circulating last week.

The agency has received "easily hundreds" of telephone calls since the onslaught "exploded" Friday, Vinger said. Questions initially came from the Dallas-Fort Worth area, he said. "Now it's pretty much spread everywhere."

DPS posted an alert on its Web site (www.txdps.state.tx.us ) saying the e-mail is wrong. It also sent lawmakers an advisory with a copy of the e-mail in case they get questions from the public and, presumably, wonder whether something slipped by them.

"This e-mail is completely false and inaccurate," DPS said in the advisory, noting that the agency hadn't determined where it originated.

The erroneous e-mail cites outsize fines for such actions as an incorrect lane change ($380), blocking an intersection ($485), driving on the shoulder ($450) and, the coup de grace to many callers, an alleged requirement that cell phone use must be "hands free" while driving ($285 if not, with fines doubled in construction zones).

"They will be looking for this like crazy, easy money for police department," the e-mail says.

There's no such restriction on cell phones, and most traffic fines are a maximum $200 plus court costs, Vinger said.

The cell-phone item is prompting most of the questions, according to Vinger and the advisory to lawmakers by assistant legislative liaison Janie Smith.

"That's what I think is driving this," Vinger said.

Rep. Jose Menendez, who has pushed legislation to curtail drivers' use of cell phones, sees a silver lining in the hoax.

"If it helps make people safer drivers, I don't have problems with them believing some of these hoaxes," said Menendez, D-San Antonio. "What they're advocating is that people drive safely."

Rep. Mike Krusee, R-Round Rock, House Transportation Committee chairman, said the uproar may have a different effect. Krusee said measures to require only hands-free cell phones for drivers are introduced every legislative session "and the committee has never liked that."

"There's no end to things you could legislate to make driving safer. The studies we saw in committee showed it was just as unsafe to have a passenger in your car or to have a radio on as it was to have a phone," he said.

"This really is instructive for legislators, insofar as we get to see what the reaction would be if we were to pass this legislation," Krusee said. "It very well may give pause to the next Legislature before they consider enacting such a law."

pfikac@express-news.net

Tuan Tran
MOTO-INSURANCE
Direct# 281-300-1333
"Like a Good Neighbor, TntEntR1 is there!"

Last edited by TnTEntR1; 07-06-2007 at 11:02 AM.
TnTEntR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Friday July 9 AND Saturday July 10 Sunrise Rides Squoddybody Events, Meets and Rides 168 07-11-2010 07:52 PM
Motorcycles law enforcement(law enf please enter) camaroz2866 General Discussion (Moto Related) 26 07-24-2009 09:03 AM
Discussion Regarding Helmet Law & Gear Law specterunseen General Discussion (Moto Related) 124 06-30-2008 09:09 AM
Sunday July 15, 2007 Stunt Time Mr. Unassailable Stunters Lounge 227 07-17-2007 02:03 AM
Advertisement
Old 07-06-2007, 10:58 AM   #2
knee_dragger

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
crf450

Quote:
Originally Posted by TntEntR1M.S01
I know this aint Moto related but wanted to pass the msg on Quickly 4 yall who drive...

Subject: FW: NEW TICKET LAWS AS OF JULY 1

NEW TICKET LAWS AS OF JULY 1

Heads up to Texas drivers as new laws went into effect this past Sunday..... You will need to get hands free attachments for the cell phone, take a look at the others as well.

Starting July 2007...

1. Car pool lane - 1st time $1068.50 starting 7/1/07 (The $271 posted on the highway is old). Don't do it again because 2nd time is going to be double. 3rd time triple, and 4th time license suspended.

2. Incorrect lane change - $380. Don't cross the lane on solid lines or intersections.

3. Block intersection - $485

4. Driving on the shoulder - $450

5. Cell phone use in the construction zone. - Double fine as of 07/01/07. Cell phone use must be "hands free" while driving.

6. Passengers over 18 not in their seatbelts - both passengers and drivers get tickets .

7. Speeders can only drive 3 miles above the limit.

8. DUI = JAIL (Stays on your driving record for 10 years!)

9. As of 07/01/07 cell phone use must be "hands free" while driving. Ticket is $285. They will be looking for this like crazy - easy money for police department.

(10. When officer says " spread them" u can reach for Vasoline<---j/k, but the rest 1-9 is REAL DEAL!)

BE SAFE!!!
Does this include motorcyclists? I usually ride on the HOV lane but wasnt sure if we we're aloud to ride.
December 2, 1980-October 13, 2007
You will be missed.
knee_dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 10:59 AM   #3
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
Quote:
Originally Posted by knee_dragger
Does this include motorcyclists? I usually ride on the HOV lane but wasnt sure if we we're aloud to ride.
yeah. motorcyclists are allowed to ride the HOV lane.

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 11:00 AM   #4
knee_dragger

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
crf450

Nice.. Live to ride!
December 2, 1980-October 13, 2007
You will be missed.
knee_dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 11:00 AM   #5
Longnguyen

starting july 1st, 2007.......anyone who thinks these are new laws should get tickets.
Longnguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 11:01 AM   #6
dhdrider

Bike(s):
08 KTM 300 XC-W

What's your source for these?

#s 7 & 8 don;t look to be laws to me, they look like opinions. DUI has always meant jail if you don't defend it. And you can speed up to 3 over? As far as I know this has always been at the discretion of the officer, no? Technically they could ticket you for 1 over but they know it would be thrown out in court so they give a grace period so that the ticket is more likely to stick...

2008 KTM 200 XC

Klim Technical Riding Gear
Maine Root Handcrafted Beverages
Retail Resource Group
Primus Real Estate Services
TORCS #301
TSCEC #1114
dhdrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 11:01 AM   #7
A303

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
00 929rr(sold)/01 929rr

Send a message via AIM to A303
Quote:
Originally Posted by knee_dragger
Nice.. Live to ride!
Except in weather.
As for the post, ill believe it when i see it.
:laughing6
July 25, 1977 - April 22, 2007
You will be missed.
A303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 11:21 AM   #8
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

Hoax? No way! It's on the intraweb, so it must be true?

I think the one that posted that it was a hoax was a law dog, just to get us to ignore the new laws and be easy picking....

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 12:15 PM   #9
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

It aint real so forget about it.
It would be nice if Chris would kill this thread just so the rumor doesn't continue.
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement