MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > News & Media > Motorcycle News & Media > Industry News
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2015, 05:50 PM   #1
NewsBot

Feedback Rating: (0)

World Superbike Jerez: Sykes, Davies win, Rea crowned

world superbike jerez race?itokyiIGti3R Kawasaki's Tom Sykes (66) came out the victor in Race 1 at Jerez WSBK, while teammate Jonathan Rea (65) soldiered through some front tire issues to finish fourth and clinch the 2015 World Superbike Championship.

Tom Sykes and Chaz Davies took Race One and Two respectively in the eleventh round of World Superbike in Jerez, but it was Jonathan Rea who stole the limelight, becoming the 2015 champion. The Ulsterman headed to Spain with a comfortable lead (144 points on Davies, second in the general standings), only six points away from the crown, and sealed the deal with two fourth-place finishes, his worst result in a year during which he had yet to step down from the podium. The Kawasaki rider, not surprisingly, was far from upset about his performance.

“The feelings are still sinking in, but this is an amazing moment, one that I dreamed about almost my entire life,” said Rea after Race One. “It's kind of ironic that I had the most difficult races of the season today, but they didn't bring my favorite front tire (the standard SC2, hard compound) and, despite finding a great pace, I felt as if my bike changed overnight. I really wanted to win and thought I could do it in both races, but after a few warnings I just tried to manage my issues and raced for the championship.”

In terms of podium finishes, Jerez represented the least successful weekend of the season for Kawasaki, which still clinched both Riders and—for the first time—Manufacturers titles.

“First of all, I'd like to congratulate Jonathan on his title,” Sykes commented with fair play. “Obviously the majority of the points have come from him, but I think that over the years I have helped create an environment and package that helped all the riders who have contributed toward Kawasaki’s first Manufacturers’ title.”

“Overall I'm happy with our performance today because I've never won in Jerez previously, but there's still work to be done,” added Sykes, who preceded Davies and Michael Van der Mark on the Race One podium. “Even in Race One, when I pulled a margin, I was leaving black marks all over the track. When you do it with the rear, it's not a problem, but with the front it's different. I chose the same tire (a development SC1 solution also used by Rea, called T1616) in the afternoon, but the conditions changed and, in retrospect, it wasn't the best choice. We'll work on this issue during tomorrow's tests.”

Davies, on the other hand, was once again the most successful rider on track, leaving Jerez with a tally of 45 points. The Welshman has been the most successful rider on track lately, claiming a total of four wins and two second places in the last six races. Had he found this competitiveness earlier in the season, one might say, Rea's job would have been a bit harder. However, the Ducati rider is looking forward rather than back.

“I have no regrets,” said Davies, who extended his advantage on Sykes from 13 to 22 points in the chase for runner-up after leaving the factory Aprilias ridden by Jordi Torres and Leon Haslam behind in Race Two. “I dropped some points in Thailand when I crashed, but honestly we had an underperforming bike back then. I was pushing beyond its limits because, as I said many times, we're here to win. I also had a bit of bad luck in Imola, with two DNFs due to technical issues, but these things happen. Overall, I think I could have kept the title fight alive a bit longer, but not stopped Jonathan. He's been the most consistent rider this year, and clearly deserves the title. Next year I'll be on the same bike again, and continuity is really important. I believe we have the tools to fight for the title again.”

World Superbike Jerez Race One results:
1. Tom Sykes (GBR) Kawasaki Racing Team
2. Chaz Davies (GBR) Aruba.it Racing-Ducati SBK Team
3. Michael Van der Mark (NET) Pata Honda WSBK
4. Jonathan Rea (GBR) Kawasaki Racing Team
5. Leon Haslam (GBR) Aprilia Racing/Red Devils
6. Michele Pirro (ITA) Aruba.it Racing-Ducati SBK Team
7. Alex Lowes (GBR) Voltcom Crescent Suzuki
8. Matteo Baiocco (ITA) Althea Racing Ducati
9. Leon Camier (GBR) MV Agusta Reparto Corse
10. Sylvain Guintoli (FRA) Pata Honda WSBK
11. David Salom (SPA) Team Pedercini Kawasaki