MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2015, 01:31 AM   #1
GSXRfever
The 600

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
06 Gsxr 600

06 Gsxr 600 runs but doesn't shift to any gear! HELP!

Long Story Short, The Master Link in my chain had popped off causing my chain to slap my bike and snapping the left side clutch push rod(the one that sticks out under the chain cover). So i replaced the push rod, and bought a brand new chain. Put everything together and on and the bike is stuck in a random gear and will not shift out of it what so ever. I have literally tried everything.

Its a 2006 gsxr 600, it seems to be stuck in neutral, but if you put the key in and turn it on, no number appears in the shift box on the tac and the neutral light is not on. and no matter what you do it is not possible to shift out of what ever gear it is in.

So i have pulled the motor and in the process of removing the last few bolts to split the case,and have noticed the little star cam gear was not sitting in the correct position and could not be rotated.

do you think my problems is a bent shift fork?

That star cam Gear the small little one that turns when you shift, is what doesn't rotate what so ever it moves like 0.5mm-1mm but its like the rod is jammed if you know what i mean.

Im fixing to split the case after the last few bolts are removed, but i don't want to split it, if it doesn't need to be split. ALL HELP IS APPRECIATED!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	88422  
GSXRfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to : gp shift a 08 gsxr 600. lanzer913 How To's and Q & A's 6 08-03-2012 11:39 AM
'06 GSXR 1000 Rear Seat on '07 GSXR 600? Triple T General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 12-18-2011 03:07 PM
05 GSXR 1000 gauge mount fit 06 GSXR 600? moose2590 General Discussion (Moto Related) 0 11-11-2011 10:43 AM
Programming the Shift Light on a 07 GSXR 600 CubanGIXXER General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 12-08-2007 05:38 PM
06 gsxr 600 vs 06 honda 600rr tcmatt Off Topic 6 04-17-2006 04:33 AM
Advertisement
Old 09-13-2015, 10:19 AM   #2
bluewave18
Safety Third

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Shift fork is what I was thinking as I read what it was doing. The thing about them is that they can look fine and be bad. I looked at mine and couldn't visibly see any issues. I sent the parts off and the business I sent the parts to said they were bad. I had then send replacements. I was also worried the shift drum was worn. They determined only the shift forks were worn. I probably could have measured them. It didn't cost more than shipping to have the parts inspected.
Old 09-13-2015, 11:26 AM   #3
GSXRfever
The 600

Bike(s):
06 Gsxr 600

Oh bad yeah I'm literally running out of time lol school starts tomorrow for me and I would like to drop the motor off at a shop and let them take care of it but I just didn't want to pay some ridiculous price. Should I call a few shops around and see if anyone could do a motor inspection?
Old 09-13-2015, 11:46 AM   #4
BYRDMAN
WX MAN

Feedback Rating: (8)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Adventure 1190
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker

Member Garage

The spring is off on the shift lever. That arm should have a spring on it and should be sitting in the shifting star...

AMERICAN MADE WITH MEXICAN PARTS
BYRDMAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 11:47 AM   #5
BYRDMAN
WX MAN

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Adventure 1190
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker

Member Garage

Google gsxr shift star and look at the pics...

Thts why u cant shift cuz ur not moving anything....

Old 09-13-2015, 11:48 AM   #6
GSXRfever
The 600

Bike(s):
06 Gsxr 600

No the spring was attached I had detached it cause I have the motor pulled out and sitting on my table
Old 09-13-2015, 11:49 AM   #7
BYRDMAN
WX MAN

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Adventure 1190
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker

Member Garage

ahhh nvm lol I fail lol

Old 09-13-2015, 11:52 AM   #8
GSXRfever
The 600

Bike(s):
06 Gsxr 600

haha your good! this has been me off! im dying to ride havent rode in forever!
Old 09-13-2015, 12:45 PM   #9
Romeo36
Mother****ersi'llkillyou

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
sv650,rc51,gsxr750,6oo,sdg107

Send a message via AIM to Romeo36
Had a customer a few months back with a Gsxr 600 That popped the chain and did the same thing. And actually bent the output shaft. Best bet is to change the tranny.
Old 09-13-2015, 07:34 PM   #10
GSXRfever
The 600

Bike(s):
06 Gsxr 600

Okay appreciate the tips and everything guys
Old 09-13-2015, 08:30 PM   #11
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

I have an old 06' motor with a bad top end, bent valve into piston. Everything down below is perfect. Figure out what you need, PM me. You can take whatever you want.
Old 09-13-2015, 11:56 PM   #12
GSXRfever
The 600

Bike(s):
06 Gsxr 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.P View Post
I have an old 06' motor with a bad top end, bent valve into piston. Everything down below is perfect. Figure out what you need, PM me. You can take whatever you want.
thank you so much i really appreciate it im finishing up pulling the bolts out i have class tomorrow at 6:00 PM so the motor will be split and completely open by Tuesday so i will definitely PM you and let you know
Old 09-14-2015, 12:57 AM   #13
El Pachuco

Bike(s):
Kawasaki ZRX 1200R

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRfever View Post
Long Story Short, The Master Link in my chain had popped off causing my chain to slap my bike and snapping the left side clutch push rod(the one that sticks out under the chain cover). So i replaced the push rod, and bought a brand new chain. Put everything together and on and the bike is stuck in a random gear and will not shift out of it what so ever. I have literally tried everything.

Its a 2006 gsxr 600, it seems to be stuck in neutral, but if you put the key in and turn it on, no number appears in the shift box on the tac and the neutral light is not on. and no matter what you do it is not possible to shift out of what ever gear it is in.

So i have pulled the motor and in the process of removing the last few bolts to split the case,and have noticed the little star cam gear was not sitting in the correct position and could not be rotated.

do you think my problems is a bent shift fork?

That star cam Gear the small little one that turns when you shift, is what doesn't rotate what so ever it moves like 0.5mm-1mm but its like the rod is jammed if you know what i mean.

Im fixing to split the case after the last few bolts are removed, but i don't want to split it, if it doesn't need to be split. ALL HELP IS APPRECIATED!
You post that it is stuck in a random gear and then you post that it seems to be in neutral but the neutral light doesn't come on.

This is because your are in a high gear false neutral. Probably between 3rd and 4th or between 4th and 5th. Notice the neutral position in the pic I posted and the neutral position in your pic. Yours is far from "true" neutral.

With that said, when a motorcycle comes to a stop in a high gear neutral, it can be very hard to get it out of that position without the rear wheel turning at a good clip. You may have been successful by having a buddy push you on the bike, with his bike, and you trying to down shift at speed.

Kind of late for that now. Good luck with your problem. I do believe it is nothing major, though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	star-cam.gif
Views:	33
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	88433  
El Pachuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 09-14-2015, 10:01 AM   #14
GSXRfever
The 600

Bike(s):
06 Gsxr 600

Yes that's what happen I believe it's in 3rd or 4th the master link on the chain had popped on the freeway as soon as I had shifted up a gear and then the plastic chain cover that's goes over the chain was jammed in between the chain so I pulled off on the side of the freeway immediately I tried shifting down but couldn't because the left side clutch push rod had snapped and I lost all the tension on my clutch and I didn't think about just stomping it down my mind was on pulling over lol
Old 09-14-2015, 10:30 AM   #15
BuckNut
Banned

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Huffy
None
None
None

User is banned

BuckNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 10:39 AM   #16
GSXRfever
The 600

Bike(s):
06 Gsxr 600

you are telling me lmao, its okay im still going to open it up ive already ordered some replacements parts push rod seal,bolts,gaskets,o-rings, etc.. but yeah if it is in a false neutral ill be a little upsett haha
Old 09-14-2015, 01:02 PM   #17
El Pachuco

Bike(s):
Kawasaki ZRX 1200R

Quote:
you are telling me lmao, its okay im still going to open it up ive already ordered some replacements parts push rod seal,bolts,gaskets,o-rings, etc.. but yeah if it is in a false neutral ill be a little upsett haha
I have no doubt you are stuck in a false neutral. If you havent split the cases yet, you can re-install the shift linkage and try shifting back to true neurtal while you're turning the counter shaft sprocket. you can do that with a drill hooked up to a socket.
Liked this post:
Old 09-14-2015, 02:08 PM   #18
GSXRfever
The 600

Bike(s):
06 Gsxr 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pachuco View Post
I have no doubt you are stuck in a false neutral. If you havent split the cases yet, you can re-install the shift linkage and try shifting back to true neurtal while you're turning the counter shaft sprocket. you can do that with a drill hooked up to a socket.
So put the full shift rod and the foot shift aswell?
Old 09-14-2015, 02:13 PM   #19
El Pachuco

Bike(s):
Kawasaki ZRX 1200R

Quote:
So put the full shift rod and the foot shift aswell?
you don't have to use the shifter linkage. you can use a pair of visegrips on the shifter shaft. just make sure to clamp it somewhere that won't affect the seal. later.

you can do this with the engine still out of the bike.
Old 09-14-2015, 03:10 PM   #20
GSXRfever
The 600

Bike(s):
06 Gsxr 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pachuco View Post
you don't have to use the shifter linkage. you can use a pair of visegrips on the shifter shaft. just make sure to clamp it somewhere that won't affect the seal. later.

you can do this with the engine still out of the bike.
Awesome will give this a shot tonight after class appreciate the advice I'll post back after and let you know how it goes
Liked this post:

Advertisement