MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2015, 09:03 PM   #21
scoutguy
pack leeder
 
scoutguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: west houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,391

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Rocket III
95 Triumph Thunderbird
96 Triumph Daytona 1200-now Tojo92's toy
95 Triumph Speed Triple
KTM 990 ADV






Got a 95 "Steamer" the one that started it all that I'm piecing back together. Can"t wait till I'm finished. Considered buying the 800 when it first came out, got dicked by the dealership waiting on an arrival date, got fed up and bought my 990 Adventure and hadn't looked back. I like the Triumph triples and the 800 is good. Still have a number of Triumphs in the stable.
scoutguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-26-2015, 09:00 AM   #22
brandontx
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 4,746

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F








Click image for larger version

Name:	20150925_121333.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	88631

Picked up a 2013 roadie model with 1,400 miles on her.
brandontx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 11:21 AM   #23
BYRDMAN
WX MAN
 
BYRDMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (8)
Posts: 9,311

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Adventure 1190
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker


Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by brandontx View Post
Attachment 88631

Picked up a 2013 roadie model with 1,400 miles on her.
cute looking bike

u could smuggle a couple meskins in those big bags!!
__________________
If you can read this, thank a teacher, because its in English, thank a soldier"

AMERICAN MADE WITH MEXICAN PARTS
BYRDMAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 12:14 PM   #24
brandontx
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 4,746

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F








Quote:
Originally Posted by BYRDMAN View Post
cute looking bike

u could smuggle a couple meskins in those big bags!!
went to the liquor store and grocery store lasy night. Fit $150 worth of in there. I dont even need my truck anymore.
brandontx is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 09-29-2015, 11:19 PM   #25
brandontx
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 4,746

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F








Took a spirited ride on her this evening. Holy the stock pads suck on this bike. By the time I got home the brakes were squealing and smoking.
brandontx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 12:03 AM   #26
BYRDMAN
WX MAN
 
BYRDMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (8)
Posts: 9,311

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Adventure 1190
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker


Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by brandontx View Post
Took a spirited ride on her this evening. Holy the stock pads suck on this bike. By the time I got home the brakes were squealing and smoking.


Its no supermoto!!
__________________
If you can read this, thank a teacher, because its in English, thank a soldier"

AMERICAN MADE WITH MEXICAN PARTS
BYRDMAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 08:01 AM   #27
98yamaha
oiler317
 
98yamaha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 112

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR600 Track Bike









I just bought a 2012 Tiger Explorer 1200. Its an awesome bike, but haven't had time to do a long trip on it yet. Its got a ton of power, and the torque curve is very smooth. My brother has the 800 xc. As expected, his bike is lighter than mine, but is less comfortable, although NOT uncomfortable...just less. I can tell you i took my girlfriend out (5'2") on my bro's 800 xc, and we were both pretty uncomfortable. The way the passenger seat is on the 800, it slopes towards the drivers seat, so everytime we slowed down she would slide into me and push me up against the tank. Her helmet was constantly bumping into mine as well due to the close riding position. I have yet to take her out on my new 1200, but she sat on the back seat to test the comfort and the seat is much bigger and more horizontal, so we will have to see if she likes it more. Either way, the engine on both bikes is super smooth and has more than enough power, but the 1200 is definitely faster (135 hp). The 1200 is bigger and heavier, but I am 6'3" and can keep my feet planted on the ground so I don't expect the weight to be a big issue unless i get into some slow technical off road stuff for some reason. For long trips on the road, i think i would prefer the 1200, but it would definitely be doable on the 800. For mostly offroad, the 800 xc is obviously going to have the advantage there, but the 1200 can handle basic dirt roads no problem.
On a side note, I rode my buddies 2014 KTM 1190 R, and that thing is a beast. Phenomenal power and smooth torque curve. It's going to be more rugged and capable offroad than the triumph explorer for sure, but on road its not going to be quite as comfy (although my buddy did do 1,300 miles in a day once and got his "iron " certificate). The seating position feels more "on top" of the bike than in the bike like the Tiger 1200 does. The 800 is somewhere in between. The seat heights are adjustable on the Triumphs too. Anyways, hope this helps!
98yamaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 11:00 AM   #28
brandontx
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 4,746

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F








Quote:
Originally Posted by 98yamaha View Post
I just bought a 2012 Tiger Explorer 1200. Its an awesome bike, but haven't had time to do a long trip on it yet. Its got a ton of power, and the torque curve is very smooth. My brother has the 800 xc. As expected, his bike is lighter than mine, but is less comfortable, although NOT uncomfortable...just less. I can tell you i took my girlfriend out (5'2") on my bro's 800 xc, and we were both pretty uncomfortable. The way the passenger seat is on the 800, it slopes towards the drivers seat, so everytime we slowed down she would slide into me and push me up against the tank. Her helmet was constantly bumping into mine as well due to the close riding position. I have yet to take her out on my new 1200, but she sat on the back seat to test the comfort and the seat is much bigger and more horizontal, so we will have to see if she likes it more. Either way, the engine on both bikes is super smooth and has more than enough power, but the 1200 is definitely faster (135 hp). The 1200 is bigger and heavier, but I am 6'3" and can keep my feet planted on the ground so I don't expect the weight to be a big issue unless i get into some slow technical off road stuff for some reason. For long trips on the road, i think i would prefer the 1200, but it would definitely be doable on the 800. For mostly offroad, the 800 xc is obviously going to have the advantage there, but the 1200 can handle basic dirt roads no problem.
On a side note, I rode my buddies 2014 KTM 1190 R, and that thing is a beast. Phenomenal power and smooth torque curve. It's going to be more rugged and capable offroad than the triumph explorer for sure, but on road its not going to be quite as comfy (although my buddy did do 1,300 miles in a day once and got his "iron " certificate). The seating position feels more "on top" of the bike than in the bike like the Tiger 1200 does. The 800 is somewhere in between. The seat heights are adjustable on the Triumphs too. Anyways, hope this helps!
I tried both the 1200 and the 800 and for my bony the 800 was way more comfortable. The BMW F800GS was horrible. I like a wide flatter seat. The KTM is pretty comfortable as well as it should be considering what it costs. I did two straight hours on the 800 and didn't feel the need to shift my weight once and felt like I could ride a couple more without stopping. I could do an 8 hour day no problem on this bike.
brandontx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:21 PM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy